Pages:
Author

Topic: Nano Ledger S Receiving Address - page 2. (Read 298 times)

Activity: 1736
Merit: 186
December 26, 2020, 02:29:18 PM
Well I used electrum a long time ago and after that... i haven't used it anymore after sending my coins to nano ledger s.

Okay well right now... i have 0 btc in bitcoin native segwit.  All my btc are in segwit.  So you say i should receive any btc to native segwit starting from now and in the future?  Is there any issue just receiving it on the segwit address as I keep all the btc there?

Thing is it would look a bit weird when i see a very tiny amount of btc in the native segwit and more of it in the segwit address.  In a way i kind of want it all in one wallet. 

But how much are the fees when sending from segwit to another address as compared to sending from native segwit to another address right now?  I haven't sent btc in a very long time.  I did recall i read sending feees has went up

Like imagine you send 0.01 btc.  Or what if someone want to send a huge amount like 1 btc?  What are the fees?

So you say overall, its not good to keep all your btc in segwit?  Since selling them or transferring them will cost a lot more than if your btc was in native segwit?  And when did native segwit because the standard for the main address?  I think when i set up the nano ledger so over 2 years ago or so... I set up segwit and only option was segwit or legacy right?  So when they native segwit come in?

legendary
Activity: 1876
Merit: 3131
December 26, 2020, 02:09:49 PM
I recall when i first set up nano ledger s... it asked me if i wanted legacy or segwit.  I dont recall which one it was but im pretty certain it was segwit.  I think i choosed segwit as other people said its cheaper to send fees.  Is there a way to check this?  But that old nano ledger s didn't work anymore.

Ledger Live should automatically detect if you have any coins on a legacy account, and should suggest adding it. Otherwise, you won't be able to add it manually.

I think when i first set up electrum... it was default legacy?  Electrum is either legacy or segwit right?

It has been defaulting to native SegWit for quite some time now. It was probably legacy in your case since Electrum generates only native SegWit addresses (bc1...) when you choose SegWit.

So I'm assuming the receiving address it showed in the ledger live and on my nano ledger s screen... is the btc receiving address i would put down if i receive some btc now?

That's correct.

I just googled native segwit and segwit and it seems more ppl say native segwit is better because of cheaper fees is that true?  So could i later on... go from segwit to native segwit?  Or would you not recommend it?

Yes, it is true. I have been using a native SegWit address as my main one for over 2 years now. You can keep your coins on a SegWit account for now and move them once the fees go down (or keep them where they are), but you can start receiving your future payments to your native SegWit account.
legendary
Activity: 2464
Merit: 3878
Visit: r7promotions.com
December 26, 2020, 02:06:08 PM
Ledger using with ledger live is a pain honestly speaking. Try with Electrum if you want to find it easy to use.

Connect and unlock your Ledger device.
Open the Bitcoin app.
Launch Electrum from your applications folder. The install wizard opens.
Leave the default wallet name and click Next.
Select Standard wallet and click Next.
At the keystore screen, select Use a hardware device and click Next.
Select your Ledger device and click next.
Choose the right derivation path for your account and click Next:
      Legacy for an account that has addresses starting with a 1
      p2sh-segwit for an account that has addresses starting with a 3
      Native segwit for an account with addresses starting with a bc1
https://support.ledger.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005161925-Set-up-and-use-Electrum
This is all you need to know.

And when you download Electrum make sure that you are downloading it from their official site and also verifying the signature. At the start you do some hard work but once you have your ledger configured with your Electrum client, life is easier for you.

In the address tab you can see all your address very easily. You will not need to be worried about address starting with 1 or bc1 or 3. All will be there once you retrieve them for individual type.
December 26, 2020, 02:03:45 PM
I like to add... a long time ago... i kept btc in electrum.  Then when i got a nano ledger s later on... i moved all my coins from electrum to nano ledger s.  Then my nano ledger s stopped working... then i got a replacement and restored my seed on the new nano ledger s.

I recall when i first set up nano ledger s... it asked me if i wanted legacy or segwit.  I dont recall which one it was but im pretty certain it was segwit.  I think i choosed segwit as other people said its cheaper to send fees.  Is there a way to check this?  But that old nano ledger s didn't work anymore.  

I think when i first set up electrum... it was default legacy?  Electrum is either legacy or segwit right?

What I can say is the last time i received btc when looking at my ledger live history transactions, first character was a number 3 and it shows bitcoin 1 (segwit)

But with this new nano ledger s i got not that long ago, i never sent/received yet.  Just restored it etc.

So I'm assuming the receiving address it showed in the ledger live and on my nano ledger s screen... is the btc receiving address i would put down if i receive some btc now?

The other thing is this.  I just googled native segwit and segwit and it seems more ppl say native segwit is better because of cheaper fees is that true?  So could i later on... go from segwit to native segwit?  Or would you not recommend it?

legendary
Activity: 1876
Merit: 3131
December 26, 2020, 01:55:54 PM
When I do this, it gives me a long btc address that stars with the number 3.  Then you check it on nano ledger s to see if the address is correct... then you click approve right?

That's correct. You still need to be careful when you send it to someone else. Some malware could replace your address once you copy it to your clipboard.

The thing is when i disconnected my nano ledger s and did this again to repeat this... it would show the same address that starts with the number 3.  Does that mean this is the default btc receiving address for my nano ledger s?

No. Your Ledger will generate a new address once you use the one you are talking about.

Can you all confirm this is my btc receiving address?   As you see i have segwit and native segwit... but im pretty certain i only use segwit right?

Yes, it is your receiving address. What do you mean by "use" here? Even though your native SegWit account is empty, you can use it alongside your SegWit account for future payments. Most wallets and exchanges already support sending to native SegWit addresses.
December 26, 2020, 01:49:34 PM
Hey all.  So i haven't used my nano ledger s for sending/receiving in a while.  I just want to confirm this before anything.

I have btc and btc cash in my nano ledger s wallet.  But i also did download bitcoin gold wallet as well but have no bitcoin gold.

When i want to receive btc... i go to receive on ledger live... then it gives me option of which to chose from... there are a few options...

bitcoin 1 native segwit   0 btc

bitcoin 1 segwit             x btc 

bitcoin cash 1                x bitcoin cash

bitcoin gold 1                0 bitcoin gold

When i look at this, the only balances that shows is bitcoin 1 segwit and bitcoin cash 1 since i have only btc and bch.  Now I would then click on bitcoin 1 segwit and click next right?

When I do this, it gives me a long btc address that stars with the number 3.  Then you check it on nano ledger s to see if the address is correct... then you click approve right?  The thing is when i disconnected my nano ledger s and did this again to repeat this... it would show the same address that starts with the number 3.  Does that mean this is the default btc receiving address for my nano ledger s?

Can you all confirm this is my btc receiving address?   As you see i have segwit and native segwit... but im pretty certain i only use segwit right?

Pages:
Jump to: