Pages:
Author

Topic: NanoFury Project - Open Source Design - page 23. (Read 75378 times)

vs3
Activity: 622
Merit: 500
November 15, 2013, 08:41:12 PM
Thank u for your open source project

Will be starting making these ones soon (if i got all things i need) and hope to get a working project

:-) Keep up the good work and will support when its all is done

When you open either the schematic or PCB documents KiCAD may want to start with its own libraries. Remove them from the list - the NanoFury project includes a lib folder with all libraries that you may need. Just add all files from the NanoFury/NF1/kicad/lib folder. (this also would prevent the issue when KiCAD wants to use its own library for a given component instead of the one from the project which may result in bad schematic or PCB)

I tried this method but when i want to open the project  NanoFury/NF1/kicad/lib folder its seems empty
I can open NF1-MCP2210 and i get a layout but i do not know for sure if thats the complete one to sent to the fab or make ourself
hope you can help me out with this

The PCB and SCH files will be in NanoFury/NF1/kicad/NF1-MCP-V06/
When you open either of them then you may get some messages about libraries - then you go to Preferences->Libraries and use the ones in NanoFury/NF1/kicad/lib

Aside from that the PCB file will contain everything needed for exporting of the gerber and other manufacturing files.

vs3
November 15, 2013, 08:14:28 PM
Vs3 thank you. ----- I do have a quote from the facility.  We are going to do a test run of 20.  I will be ordering chips when I get home from the job. 

Nice!

p.s. - btw they could probably hand-assemble 20 units in a few hours Wink
Activity: 183
Merit: 100
Buy Ganjs Seeds with BTC @ www.qualityseeds.nl
November 15, 2013, 12:09:52 PM
Thank u for your open source project

Will be starting making these ones soon (if i got all things i need) and hope to get a working project

:-) Keep up the good work and will support when its all is done

When you open either the schematic or PCB documents KiCAD may want to start with its own libraries. Remove them from the list - the NanoFury project includes a lib folder with all libraries that you may need. Just add all files from the NanoFury/NF1/kicad/lib folder. (this also would prevent the issue when KiCAD wants to use its own library for a given component instead of the one from the project which may result in bad schematic or PCB)

I tried this method but when i want to open the project  NanoFury/NF1/kicad/lib folder its seems empty

I can open NF1-MCP2210 and i get a layout but i do not know for sure if thats the complete one to sent to the fab or make ourself

hope you can help me out with this
Activity: 440
Merit: 250
November 13, 2013, 04:21:26 PM
Vs3 thank you. ----- I do have a quote from the facility.  We are going to do a test run of 20.  I will be ordering chips when I get home from the job. 
vs3
November 13, 2013, 03:58:54 PM
I am new to kicad and somewhat lost.  I live next to a pcb fab and assembly facility. I am tryimg to get the Gerber file and bom parts list so they can get me a quote for putting a proto together.  Also if this is financially viable what would be a good donation?

Stan - on the several questions:

- KiCAD and gerbers: Start by downloading and installing KiCAD. Then open the pcb file - it will probably complain about libraries and stuff but you can ignore that. Then from the menu select Plot - that's how you generate the gerber files. On that window there is also a button for the drill file.
- BOM : Open the schematics and from the menu -> tools -> generate bill of materials. I usually pick a tab-delimited text file which then Excel can easily read.
If you get stuck with those feel free to PM me and I can get those for you.

As for the donation part - a few bucks per board on the first several hundred or as much as you feel appropriate.
Activity: 440
November 13, 2013, 03:20:34 PM
I am new to kicad and somewhat lost.  I live next to a pcb fab and assembly facility. I am tryimg to get the Gerber file and bom parts list so they can get me a quote for putting a proto together.  Also if this is financially viable what would be a good donation?
Activity: 188
November 08, 2013, 08:18:38 AM
Thanks I figured that was pretty much a given anymore on chaining chips and such, good job and thanks again for the hard work!
vs3
November 08, 2013, 12:13:10 AM
Very nice, simple and effective, one question though could more chips be chained directly from the test points you have on the board? I have been working on a simple raspi to 4 chip but after I saw you USB interface I like that better but looking at the software comments it looks to be a 1:1 setup w/o more software work (or not I hope). At any rate pretty awesome and thanks for sharing !

Yup - that's exactly what those test points were meant for Smiley
Presuming you've already figured how to provide 0.8V to the other chips all that remains is to hook them on the chain - via those test points.
You'll basically need hook 5 wires: SCK, MOSI, MISO, 1.8V and GND.

Also, among my chats with Luke-JR was the question to add support to bfgminer for "chaining" of such chips - and he's done that too (as this is being used by almost all bitfury designs anyways).
So from that point on all you'll need is just some hardware - no additional software development is necessary. (well... hopefully ... you never know Smiley)

As I mentioned early - my goal was to do the ultimate K.I.S.S. design for those chips Smiley
Activity: 188
November 07, 2013, 05:41:55 PM
Very nice, simple and effective, one question though could more chips be chained directly from the test points you have on the board? I have been working on a simple raspi to 4 chip but after I saw you USB interface I like that better but looking at the software comments it looks to be a 1:1 setup w/o more software work (or not I hope). At any rate pretty awesome and thanks for sharing !
vs3
November 03, 2013, 02:47:04 PM
Thank you guys for the kind words! It took quite some work indeed! Hopefully this will help others and save them from having to go through the same hassles I went trough.

And to be honest - I think bitfury should've released something like that to begin with.
Activity: 5
Merit: 0
November 03, 2013, 09:21:54 AM
Amazing work! I would love to be able to get my hands on one of these. Looks like a lot of energy and care went into the design, am excited to see how it all pans out!

Just wanted to throw in my encouragement!
legendary
Activity: 1974
Merit: 1077
^ Will code for Bitcoins
November 01, 2013, 08:22:40 PM
Great work. Thank you so much.
I've contacted with vs3 before. He's a very nice guy. Cheesy

+1 on everything. Congrats vs3 on the successful project! Open-sourcing this is so good for the community.

Hope many good tings will come for this project in the future, and many production batches.
legendary
Activity: 1029
Merit: 1000
October 31, 2013, 05:49:59 AM
Thanks for the link. I was learning russian in school 25 years ago Wink I can read but don't understand to much Wink
I think that simply connecting chips in series is a big mistake, pictures above. I've made experiment with 3 uC's connected in series with some additional electronics and it worked beautifully. Unfortunately I don't have Bitfury chips to verify this concept with them. I have concept to supply 40 chips with one DC/DC converter 3,5V 20A.
Activity: 379
October 30, 2013, 09:48:57 PM
Great work. Thank you so much.
I've contacted with vs3 before. He's a very nice guy. Cheesy
vs3
October 30, 2013, 09:24:56 PM
If I understand correctly inside Bitfury chips is comparator. CMQ is the output. Unused opampas should be connected differently. Minus connected with output and plus to the ground. Shorting output to ground may cause unnecessary current flow.

Dexter - bitfury posted some stuff here:
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.2460608

but I haven't had time to translate it (and google translate is a bit useless with technical stuff).

A few posts later however there is a sample schematic that sort of explains the story. Basically the CMQ/CMMINUS/CMPLUS pins are for chips when designed to be in series - like Christmas lights. I remember reading somewhere a reply from bitfury that this stuff is probably not going to be reliable and that's why he recommends those pins to be connected to GND.

I guess tytus & buzzdave decided to give it a shot anyways - and the results are more than obvious : Smiley

Activity: 630
Merit: 501
Miner Setup And Reviews. WASP Rep.
October 30, 2013, 08:31:21 AM
Great design with great potential.
legendary
October 30, 2013, 08:30:54 AM
If I understand correctly inside Bitfury chips is comparator. CMQ is the output. Unused opampas should be connected differently. Minus connected with output and plus to the ground. Shorting output to ground may cause unnecessary current flow.
Activity: 924
October 30, 2013, 08:26:28 AM
Nice work.

How much would you like us to kick back to you if we fab out your NF's... or should I PM you?

Well, you probably won't be the first or only one asking that question, so I guess it is appropriate to be here.

The answer is - As much as you want or feel appropriate Smiley

Ideally a few bucks on the first several hundred boards would be fine, and in the bitcoin reality that may shrink even further with time.

After all I didn't want to bog any manufacturer with fees - that's why I left it open source. If the designs worked for you - then feel free to cut a bit or as much as you like for us Smiley

And of course - feel free to PM me and we can chat a bit more.

Will do thanks for the information.
legendary
October 30, 2013, 08:03:18 AM
Let the god bless you with the kids....
vs3
October 30, 2013, 06:44:20 AM
Nice work.

How much would you like us to kick back to you if we fab out your NF's... or should I PM you?

Well, you probably won't be the first or only one asking that question, so I guess it is appropriate to be here.

The answer is - As much as you want or feel appropriate Smiley

Ideally a few bucks on the first several hundred boards would be fine, and in the bitcoin reality that may shrink even further with time.

After all I didn't want to bog any manufacturer with fees - that's why I left it open source. If the designs worked for you - then feel free to cut a bit or as much as you like for us Smiley

And of course - feel free to PM me and we can chat a bit more.
Pages:
Jump to: