Pages:
Author

Topic: Nebula-The upcoming cryptocurrency that will incentivize reversible computation. - page 4. (Read 4482 times)

Activity: 50
Merit: 0

This looks quite interesting even if I dont think that this sole project will incentize industries to make such computers.
Activity: 294
Merit: 100

I like the idea of decentraland, it breaks the limits of centralization.
I want to support this project by promoting on social media pages so when will be the lauch of bounty campaigns? I'll keep an eye on this program because I know this would be successful.
Activity: 294
Merit: 100
This looks quite interesting even if I dont think that this sole project will incentize industries to make such computers.

Activity: 770
Merit: 500
Hello crypto enthusiasts.

I will take a look in to the whitepaper and if I like, I sure will follow the project closley. Good luck and keep up working on your nebula project.
Activity: 1792
Merit: 513
<3 DeepOnion
R5 - i like that name. i'll give my hash power for it.
Waiting for more info about the project
Activity: 691
Merit: 51
Fatoshi and  bathrobehero. Thanks. I appreciate your interest.

I do not know enough about POS to judge its security, merits, or whether it can completely replace POW as a method of securing the cryptocurrency. However, POW better solves the problem of fairly initially distributing newly minted coins. I do not see POW going away any time soon even for established currencies since cryptocurrencies may want to mint new coins in order to replace lost or destroyed coins and because some altcoins may want steady inflation. A useful POW like an RCO-POW will also give the cryptocurrency a perception of greater value to the cryptocurrency since people will see that the work used to produce the newly minted coins were used for some good purpose.  This positive perception of value is harder to achieve using a POS system. I am simply looking to implement another solution to the wasted energy problem for cryptocurrency POW problems.

Activity: 672
Merit: 251
i'm interested. Though to some extent hasn't POS already solved the energy wastage of POW?
legendary
Activity: 2002
Merit: 1051
ICO? Not even once.
Good luck! I'm definitely interested in this project.
Activity: 691
Merit: 51
So I have posted the whitepaper on my upcoming cryptocurrency Nebula. Nebula will be distinct from all other cryptocurrencies since the POW problem for Nebula will incentivize the future development of the reversible computer (which has not been invented yet). You can find the whitepaper on the POW problem for Nebula at https://boolesrings.org/jvanname/2017/07/22/nebula-the-cryptocurrency-that-will-produce-the-reversible-computer/ and you can find previous discussion on how cryptocurrency POW problems will incentivize reversible computation at https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.20247850.

So Landauer's principle states that every time a bit of information is erased, ln(2)*k*T energy is used where T is the temperature and k is Boltzmann constant. Landauer's principle amounts to 2.8*10^(-21) J per bit erasure at room temperature. The efficiency of conventional computation is limited by Landauer's principle, but there is no such limit of the efficiency of reversible computation. Reversible computation however has the downside that it usually takes more steps to perform a certain calculation reversibly than it takes to perform the same calculation irreversibly. Therefore, since reversible computation requires some computational overhead, computing machinery manufacturers currently do not have an incentive to research and develop new reversible devices since any gains in efficiency will be dwarfed by the increase in the number of steps required to perform such a calculation.

Nebula will be the first cryptocurrency to incorporate a kind of POW problem which I call an RCO-POW (reversible computation optimized) problem. An RCO-POW problem is a POW problem which can be solved using a reversible computing device just as easily as it can be solved using a conventional computation device. Since RCO-POW problems can be solved using reversible computers in just as many steps as they can be solved using conventional computers, it is advantageous for one to develop energy efficient reversible computing devices to solve these RCO-POW problems. After computational device manufacturers produce devices to solve RCO-POW problems, they will have the knowledge and infrastructure to produce reversible computers for many other purposes and possibly even quantum computers.

The RCO-POW for Nebula, which we shall call R5, consists of five different algorithms. Since R5 relies on several different algorithms, it will be difficult for a single entity to launch a 51% attack against Nebula. Furthermore, since R5 has multiple algorithms to choose from, a reversible device manufacturer can choose the problem which the device will be made to solve. RCO-POW problems are not ASIC resistant since reversible computing devices can be thought of as certain kinds of ASICs and because the same qualities that make an algorithm easy to compute with a reversible device also make it easy to compute using an ASIC. Therefore R5 will be minable by CPUs/GPUs at first but R5 mining will soon be dominated by ASICs.

The problem of wasted energy and wasted resources in POW mining is one of the biggest problems with cryptocurrencies today. I hope that the cryptocurrency community will consider Nebula to be a satisfactory solution to this problem. I hope that either the cryptocurrency community would flock to Nebula or incorporate an RCO-POW into some other cryptocurrency with a high market cap.

-Joseph Van Name Ph.D.
https://boolesrings.org/jvanname
Pages:
Jump to: