Pages:
Author

Topic: Need help and advice regarding recovery - page 2. (Read 313 times)

legendary
Activity: 952
Merit: 1367
June 30, 2022, 07:21:52 AM
Then as i read was advisable , i cloned the HDD booting my windows laptop into a Linux ubuntu usb boot key.

Depending on your Windows version (10?) You may use WSL, to have easily "two" systems, and launch linux as a any other program. Maybe it would make your life a little easier. Then you may see your mounted/external disk in WSL and use linux tools.
Were you able to restore any folders structure? What you see are probably program file, not saved wallet.
Did you try pywallet or not yet?
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/guide-recover-your-deleted-keys-38004
Activity: 9
Merit: 7
June 30, 2022, 05:58:49 AM
Hello,

I'm aware the forum is probably awash with these type of posts, so i sincerley apologise for another. i've spent a few weeks trying to possibly recover bitcoin wallet from mining in 2009 but hit a dead end, so i've come to ask for advice.

So to explain, I mined bitcoin propbably early 2009 for roughly 2 months, before thinking it was not really worth leaving the pc on and called it a day. This was on an old pentium 4 pc desktop, nothing great. I left the country oct 09 and left my PC with my friend and said he could use it until i returned. Upon returning 2011, he had wiped windows xp and put on win7 OS.

I got the pc back, but it packed in and i never used it again.

I never had any interest in cryptocurrency until last year, and recently saw a thread on reddit explaining that even with a formatted drive, that it's possible to recover deleted bitcoin wallet.

So i got the old hdd out and bought a sata 3 caddy.

Then as i read was advisable , i cloned the HDD booting my windows laptop into a Linux ubuntu usb boot key.

I used ddrescue and saved the cloned drive image to an external.

I have searched for wallet.dat and don't see anything from a standard search or browsing to app data. I think i need to recover the deleted xp formatted part. If this is not possible and it's simply gone and it's toast, then fine, i just move on.

I managed to figure out how to run testdisk and found lot's of deleted stuff but so much came back i had no idea what to do with it all next.

Then i tried to follow the instructions from this thread to use keyhunter.py https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/walletdat-hex-code-in-2009-2857580 .....but this is where i am stuck, i do not know Linux, nor am i good technically with computer code like this...So i couldn't get it to work.

I mounted the cloned hdd image, but no idea how to use keyhunter.py it said to make it executable - no idea.

Then i went back to windows 10, cloned the hdd once again using EaseUS software ( windows wouldnt open the Linux created image file), mounted it which created it as Local drive (Z)

Then i ran R-studio and followed this guide https://www.disktuna.com/recover-lost-or-deleted-bitcoin-wallet-dat-using-r-studio/

The script wallet.ini filled raw data files as suggested to use in that guide came back with various wallet folders with a total of 39 dat files - probably nothing looking at it, none were marked wallet.dat. I still haven't recovered any potential formatted data though.

Edit **the search using wallet.ini that came back with 39 files - i used a program called DMDE.

So is this just toast and chasing btc ghosts or is there something else i could do ?

Cheers
Pages:
Jump to: