Pages:
Author

Topic: NERFED CARDS ARE IN CIRCULATION - page 2. (Read 821 times)

Activity: 1036
Merit: 606
May 20, 2021, 05:13:34 AM
Can someone provide an example of the LHR indicator on the packaging? I wanna know if the 3060 ti I ordered in january ever arrives so I can instantly send it back without opening it.

I haven't seen any examples on packaging yet but here is an article on Zotac and how it's slightly changing to indicate the new LHR 3060.

https://videocardz.com/newz/zotac-offically-launches-its-new-geforce-rtx-3060-series-lite-hash-rate-gpus

edit to add

https://videocardz.com/newz/galax-launches-geforce-rtx-3060-ti-and-rtx-3060-with-cryptomining-limiter

Has some pictures of the Chinese packaging.

There are NO differentiation on the packaging at this point in time. They did say they are goina be sneaky about it and so far they are using the old boxes. There is a slightly different serial number on the card. So if you buy new cards you will not know until u open the box up.

For cards being sold at retail that have a LHR and non-LHR varient the LHR 3060 Ti, 3070, 3080 etc. will definitely have a LHR indication on the product listings and packaging. The 3070 Ti and 3080 Ti will only be produced in LHR versions.

https://youtu.be/T4R5GN60CBo?t=309
Activity: 128
Merit: 2
May 20, 2021, 04:48:43 AM
Can someone provide an example of the LHR indicator on the packaging? I wanna know if the 3060 ti I ordered in january ever arrives so I can instantly send it back without opening it.

I haven't seen any examples on packaging yet but here is an article on Zotac and how it's slightly changing to indicate the new LHR 3060.

https://videocardz.com/newz/zotac-offically-launches-its-new-geforce-rtx-3060-series-lite-hash-rate-gpus

edit to add

https://videocardz.com/newz/galax-launches-geforce-rtx-3060-ti-and-rtx-3060-with-cryptomining-limiter

There are NO differentiation on the packaging at this point in time. They did say they are goina be sneaky about it and so far they are using the old boxes. There is a slightly different serial number on the card. So if you buy new cards you will not know until u open the box up.
When Nvidia's video art sales drop, Oteni will publish a new driver again, which removes all restrictions for the LHR/GE Series.
I'm not going to buy new video cards right now and will wait for a review of new video cards from miners.
But AMD has no restrictions in mining, so you can buy any model of these video cards.

It is unlikely a new driver will work, according to nvidia this change is hardwired not just software related...
legendary
Activity: 1610
Merit: 1026
May 19, 2021, 11:10:24 AM

edit to add

When Nvidia's video art sales drop, Nvidia will publish a new driver again, which removes all restrictions for the LHR/GE Series.
I'm not going to buy new video cards right now and will wait for a review of new video cards from miners.
But AMD has no restrictions in mining, so you can buy any model of these video cards.
May 19, 2021, 05:27:28 AM
Let's see how this experiment will go. For now it makes no sense at all what nvidia is doing but I guess i will give the benefit of the doubt for the time being, eth will be dead for gpus anyway in 2 years or so, probably a new algo will be created in the meantime for these cards, will see.

Totally stupid, it's not that there aren't other coins that are profitable right now too. A bit more gambling and you'll perhaps have to trade for btc or eth but whatever, still just 50 cents less profit

stupid indeed.... miners should unite to short nvidia to kingdom come for treating us this way
May 19, 2021, 05:25:08 AM

edit to add

May 19, 2021, 05:22:48 AM
I thought it was only the 3060 that would be nerfed? Anyways isn't this possible to get around?

Can't get around the newer nerfed ones at the moment.

Except I have yet to see them hit the market.

3060 always nerfed I have 2 doing 70mh on smos trying the lowest power which is 100 watts
3060 a worse nerf is due

3060ti was great
3060ti not sure it if will be nerfed

3070 was great
3070 to be nerfed

3080 was great
3080 to be nerfed

3080ti never issued but should be nerfed

3090 was great
3090 not to be nerfed

I have only seen the older 3060 which was nerfed down to 25mh

It has work arounds:

in linux it can boost to 37mh
 in windows it can boost to 46mh

smos lol boost

I believe the nerf you are talking about is their first botched attempt... this was a software nerf... the current nerf is physical in nature... at this point in time there is no workaround. Im not sure about 3090, maybe they wont nerf it on the account of it being so overpriced already
May 19, 2021, 05:20:09 AM
Just a warning and if anyone ends up with those cards pls post the hash you are getting....
Nerfed cards have started hitting the market be very careful in purchasing any cards from now in the 30 series

Okay are you saying 3070's and 3080's have hit the market?

As of today I have 2x 3060's which were known to LHR cards.

I do not have any other 'bad' cards.

But that does not mean they are not out there.

I can confirm nerfed 3070's have been shipped, sold via retailer and the miner flipped to someone by the time i posted the first link. It was a retail transaction throughout, so the nerfed hardware in the sinking into the pipeline, all of em 3060, 3070 and 3080.
Miners will be flipping these cards at slightly lower then current prices and unsuspecting miners are going to get caught
legendary
Activity: 4102
Merit: 7763
'The right to privacy matters'
May 18, 2021, 09:43:10 PM
How about you have a 3080 gpu  pc with a good mining card die under warranty and they send you back a nerfed gpu in the new replacement pc.  you may not be able to win in that lawsuit.

but see below:

How about you have a 3070 and it arrives doa today may 18th as you won it in the Newegg Shuffle on Friday the 14th,  it was old school model so you send it back

and they send you an LHR replacement.

I see lawsuits all over the place.

You would win that lawsuit the case in bold.

I don't see a difference unless you are referring to the retailer replacing the DOA.
The only angle I see is the "equal or better" provision in manufacturer warrantees.
A nerfed replacement is not "equal or better". Nvidia could choose to give you a nerfed
version of a bigger model or just give a refund for your DOA.

IANAL but I see unfair business practice in intentionally targetting one crypto algo.

OKay so I don't mine and I own an alienware pc with a good 3070.

Pc dies due to a bad power supply they send me back a nerfed alienware new and sealed>

I am asking for full refund or seeing as the nerfed unit simply won't have the value of the original alienware had.

This is a really problem as the warranty is a year you got it for christmas. So you are entitled to an equal
replacement until Christmas 1 year later.

This is going to be an amazing shit storm.  Should be fun to watch it.

Oh AMD will make out like a bandit. SO Nvidia is subsidizing them by doing this.
Activity: 1372
Merit: 216
May 18, 2021, 03:31:24 PM
How about you have a 3080 gpu  pc with a good mining card die under warranty and they send you back a nerfed gpu in the new replacement pc.  you may not be able to win in that lawsuit.

but see below:

How about you have a 3070 and it arrives doa today may 18th as you won it in the Newegg Shuffle on Friday the 14th,  it was old school model so you send it back

I don't see a difference unless you are referring to the retailer replacing the DOA.
The only angle I see is the "equal or better" provision in manufacturer warrantees.
A nerfed replacement is not "equal or better". Nvidia could choose to give you a nerfed
version of a bigger model or just give a refund for your DOA.

IANAL but I see unfair business practice in intentionally targetting one crypto algo.
Activity: 478
Merit: 125
May 18, 2021, 03:07:14 PM

edit to add

Activity: 2142
Merit: 353
Xtreme Monster
May 18, 2021, 02:41:20 PM
Yeah it seems totally stupid for them to do this.

How about you have a 3080 gpu  pc with a good mining card die under warranty and they send you back a nerfed gpu in the new replacement pc.  you may not be able to win in that lawsuit.

but see below:

How about you have a 3070 and it arrives doa today may 18th as you won it in the Newegg Shuffle on Friday the 14th,  it was old school model so you send it back

Yeah, too many underlying issues to follow. I guess what nvidia wants is --> buy our crap mining gpus for 10 times more money and in the return get 3 months warranty hehe, interesting thing will be once the bear am rket hits and nobody buys mining cards anymore just like what happened in 2018 then nvidia will have to unlock all those gaming gpus again ehhe or that or they will have to leave the lock and provide a mining card 10 times cheaper than a gpu gaming card ehhe. Will see, what nvidia is doing here is known as double edged sword, it hits either way ehhe.
Activity: 242
Merit: 115
May 18, 2021, 02:39:09 PM
Activity: 9
Merit: 1
May 18, 2021, 02:23:30 PM
Let's see how this experiment will go. For now it makes no sense at all what nvidia is doing but I guess i will give the benefit of the doubt for the time being, eth will be dead for gpus anyway in 2 years or so, probably a new algo will be created in the meantime for these cards, will see.

Totally stupid, it's not that there aren't other coins that are profitable right now too. A bit more gambling and you'll perhaps have to trade for btc or eth but whatever, still just 50 cents less profit
legendary
May 18, 2021, 02:20:26 PM

Yeah it seems totally stupid for them to do this.

but see below:

Activity: 2142
Merit: 353
Xtreme Monster
May 18, 2021, 02:01:52 PM
Activity: 9
Merit: 1
May 18, 2021, 02:01:35 PM
Wow that sucks. I only thought it was the 3060. Also seems like their dedicated mining card wont be that good for mining. I don't care that much about resale value still got 4 280x left that are running in some computers lol. Not mining obviously but they are being put to use. Even one display output would make the mining cards more attractive.

Perhaps I should go cheaper route and get a few 2060's, local shop just got 50+ of them, they will pay themself back pretty quick
legendary
May 18, 2021, 01:14:37 PM
Galax started with nerfed 3080.

Have not seen them list it on the website that you can actually buy it.

https://galaxstore.net/

https://galaxstore.net/GeForce-RTX%E2%84%A2-30-Series_c_49.html

this photo does not show a nerfed card.

https://galaxstore.net/GeForce-RTX%E2%84%A2-3080-Series_c_53.html

My concern is I have 3 builds on order placed before the 5-18-2021 blog

I have 2 alienware 3060ti builds
and an hp.com build with a 3060ti in it.

orders were place in april and due june 1 to june 7

If I get nerfed 3060ti's I will need to return them.

I do not want to get hassled on returning them.

this is from two posts above the blog quote

"A Further Step to Getting GeForce Cards into
the Hands of Gamers
We’re reducing the hash rate of newly manufactured GeForce RTX
3080, 3070 and 3060 Ti graphics cards so they’re less desirable to
miners.
May 18, 2021 by MATT WUEBBLING

Reading Time: 2 mins

GeForce products are made for gamers — and packed with innovations. Our RTX 30 Series is built on our
second-generation RTX architecture, with dedicated RT Cores and Tensor Cores, delivering amazing visuals
and performance to gamers and creators.
Because NVIDIA GPUs are programmable, users regularly discover new applications for them, from weather
simulation and gene sequencing to deep learning and robotics. Mining cryptocurrency is one of them.

Halving Hash Rate

To help get GeForce GPUs in the hands of gamers, we
announced in February that all GeForce RTX 3060
graphics cards shipped with a reduced Ethereum hash rate.
Today, we’re taking additional measures by applying a reduced ETH hash rate to newly manufactured GeForce
RTX 3080, RTX 3070 and RTX 3060 Ti graphics cards. These cards will start shipping in late May.
Clear Communication to Gamers
Because these GPUs originally launched with a full hash rate, we want to ensure that customers know
exactly what they’re getting when they buy GeForce products. To help with this, our GeForce partners are
labeling the GeForce RTX 3080, RTX 3070 and RTX 3060 Ti cards with a “Lite Hash Rate,” or “LHR,” identifier.
The identifier will be in retail product listings and on the box.
This reduced hash rate only applies to newly manufactured cards with the LHR identifier and not to cards
already purchased.
GeForce Is Made for Gaming
GeForce RTX GPUs have introduced a range of cutting-edge technologies — RTX real-time ray tracing, AIpowered
DLSS frame rate booster, NVIDIA Reflex super-fast response rendering for best system latency, and
many more — created to meet the needs of gamers and those who create digital experiences.
We believe this additional step will get more GeForce cards at better prices into the hands of gamers everywhere"

note the quote above was from nvidia blog date may 18 2021

Now my orders did not have that label LHR in the advertising the dell are due to me june 1 and june 7 the hp is due june 10

should be fun it they come wrong  and a score if they come correct.

Be very careful when you buy.
legendary
May 18, 2021, 01:10:42 PM

Have not seen them list it on the website that you can actually buy it.

https://galaxstore.net/

https://galaxstore.net/GeForce-RTX%E2%84%A2-30-Series_c_49.html

this photo does not show a nerfed card.

https://galaxstore.net/GeForce-RTX%E2%84%A2-3080-Series_c_53.html
Activity: 438
Merit: 27
May 18, 2021, 12:30:44 PM
Activity: 478
Merit: 125
May 18, 2021, 11:08:17 AM
According to this Nvidia post the new LHR cards will start shipping at the end of the month and should be clearly marked with LHR on the box or sku so everyone is clear on what they are getting.

https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2021/05/18/lhr/

Pages:
Jump to: