Pages:
Author

Topic: New forum? - page 2. (Read 20375 times)

legendary
Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965
Terminated.
March 20, 2016, 08:29:15 AM
Yeah, just two more months 'til new forum releases, right?
There isn't a exact date. It could be tomorrow, or it could be in 10 months. You never know. It will be released when it is ready.

That was more than 3 months/$150,000 ago Smiley
Seems like some people are just envious of the money.
Activity: 513
Merit: 511
March 19, 2016, 10:48:20 PM
Theymos has set and blown multiple self-imposed deadlines, see end his [moved to /archived/, lol] reply.
Those were deadlines, those were estimates (IIRC). There's a clear difference between those two.

-snip-
It might be best to just ignore the troll. You're feeding him and you should know how that usually goes.

Yeah, just two more months 'til new forum releases, right?
Activity: 154
Merit: 100
March 18, 2016, 12:18:47 PM
Theymos has set and blown multiple self-imposed deadlines, see end his [moved to /archived/, lol] reply.
Those were deadlines, those were estimates (IIRC). There's a clear difference between those two.

... The project is quite a bit over-due and over-budget (the original estimate was 1 year and $1.2 million) ...
That was more than 3 months/$150,000 ago Smiley

But I guess you're right. Non-contractual, nonviolent, nonbinding non-agreements preclude the very possibility of missed deadlines. I mean, what would that even mean & why would anyone care?
legendary
Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965
Terminated.
March 18, 2016, 11:56:27 AM

-snip-
It might be best to just ignore the troll. You're feeding him and you should know how that usually goes.
March 18, 2016, 11:35:44 AM
By "investing in the forum software," you mean launder over 2 million bucks by allegedly giving it to an Anon he purportedly never met in person, at a rate of $100k a month via an open-ended nonviolent non-contract without a noncompletion clause, who, in turn, proceeded to not complete it?
He has not completed it as it is an ongoing project. By saying he has not completed implies there is some sort of deadline that he has not met, when you acknowledged in your post that there is no given deadline. Development can be tracked on the Github or the project's website.
I don't understand when you distrust the developers so much, especially when they are running an open source project where all development can be tracked publicly.

You're confused. I said the non-violent non-contract had no noncompletion clause. Theymos has set and blown multiple self-imposed deadlines, see end his [moved to /archived/, lol] reply.

As far as not trusting the developers, my cat could have learned to code & written better forum software in 2 years.
*Sorry Cat, didn't mean to insult you, I know you wouldn't write new forum software from scratch when so much tested open-source & free to use software is available.
March 18, 2016, 11:25:14 AM
Donations to the forum are not donations to theymos. Just like the donations for The March Of Dimes you collect are not donations to you. If that's hard for you to grasp, don't shit up this thread & go play some vidya, K?
and the vast majority of income after expenses is either saved for future expenses or reinvested into the forum or the community.
Taken from the donation page.  Try twisting the words, go on

The forum money I held has largely been spent now, mostly in the forum software project. Slickage was paid $100,000 per month in all of 2014 and until May in 2015. Since June 2015, they've been paid $50,000 per month. The exchange rate varied substantially throughout this period, but the end result is that most of the BTC was spent.

The rate ($85,417/month average as of the end of 2015) might seem high to people unfamiliar with professional software development, but it's normal. The project is quite a bit over-due and over-budget (the original estimate was 1 year and $1.2 million), but I've been constantly monitoring Slickage, and they've definitely been making solid, continual progress, so it seemed correct to continue to project. The vast majority of total forum revenue was from ads, not donations, but to the extent that donations were used: this software was in fact the main stated goal of donations.

As I've said before: I have absolutely no personal relationship to Slickage, and I receive no "kickbacks" whatsoever. I've never even met them in person. I first learned of Slickage from Warren Togami, who had previously done a lot of work for the forum and was himself recommended by gmaxwell and others. (I've also never met Warren in person.)

The current status of the software is that it's ~85% done. The core of it is entirely functional and often much better/faster than SMF, though there are still several missing features. There will be a public beta before the end of the month, I think, at which time I'll post more about what's left to be done. Also see http://epochtalk.org/ for more info.

TL;DR: Nothing is saved; the money's gone. But, technically, you're right -- since he is a part of the community & reinvested the money into himself, he did nothing wrong.

Also, did you actually donate some money or are you just being butthurt that you are not the one receiving the BTCs?

Lol no, I haven't. Did you lose money with every scammer you gave negative trust to/bother to discuss on this fine forum?
legendary
Activity: 2324
Merit: 1267
In Memory of Zepher
March 18, 2016, 10:36:44 AM
By "investing in the forum software," you mean launder over 2 million bucks by allegedly giving it to an Anon he purportedly never met in person, at a rate of $100k a month via an open-ended nonviolent non-contract without a noncompletion clause, who, in turn, proceeded to not complete it?
He has not completed it as it is an ongoing project. By saying he has not completed implies there is some sort of deadline that he has not met, when you acknowledged in your post that there is no given deadline. Development can be tracked on the Github or the project's website.
I don't understand when you distrust the developers so much, especially when they are running an open source project where all development can be tracked publicly.

How about you drop the sarcasm, Buttercup, hmm?
I'm not being sarcastic. I'm unsure why you think that.
Activity: 924
Merit: 1003
4 Mana 7/7
March 18, 2016, 10:31:01 AM
Donations to the forum are not donations to theymos. Just like the donations for The March Of Dimes you collect are not donations to you. If that's hard for you to grasp, don't shit up this thread & go play some vidya, K?
and the vast majority of income after expenses is either saved for future expenses or reinvested into the forum or the community.
Taken from the donation page.  Try twisting the words, go on

Also, did you actually donate some money or are you just being butthurt that you are not the one receiving the BTCs?
March 18, 2016, 09:48:04 AM
You mean you don't understand how having cash he can spend is different from having donations to bitcointalk, which he can't? What, exactly is unclear to you?
If the person who recieved the donations under the premise of reinvesting them into the forums cannot then spend them investing in the forum's software, then who can spend them and for what reason?

How about you drop the sarcasm, Buttercup, hmm?

You mean you don't understand how having cash he can spend is different from having donations to bitcointalk, which he can't? What, exactly is unclear to you?

@taesup: Cool beans. Best spent ...what's it up to now, $2.2? $2.3 million US? And it still isn't done? Color me convinced.
*though does make solid gold toilet seats sound reasonable -- can always sell those for the price of gold, while this pile of ...whatever it is? Not so much.
Since you clearly are trolling, here, go and f*ck off.

If you're not. Why the heck are you questioning whatever the heck theymos does with the donations? Thats exactly what they are, donations. theymos promised a new forum or an improvement to the current forum with the donations and thats exactly what he's working on.

legendary
In Memory of Zepher
March 18, 2016, 03:15:26 AM
If the person who recieved the donations under the premise of reinvesting them into the forums cannot then spend them investing in the forum's software, then who can spend them and for what reason?
4 Mana 7/7
March 17, 2016, 02:43:50 PM

@taesup: Cool beans. Best spent ...what's it up to now, $2.2? $2.3 million US? And it still isn't done? Color me convinced.
*though does make solid gold toilet seats sound reasonable -- can always sell those for the price of gold, while this pile of ...whatever it is? Not so much.
Since you clearly are trolling, here, go and f*ck off.

If you're not. Why the heck are you questioning whatever the heck theymos does with the donations? Thats exactly what they are, donations. theymos promised a new forum or an improvement to the current forum with the donations and thats exactly what he's working on.
March 17, 2016, 12:50:45 PM
1. collect money to cure cancer
2. commission your dog to do cancer research; pay Dog $100k US/mo
3. ? ? ?
4. PROFIT!

Substitute "forum" for "cancer" & "Slackage" for "Dog."
So, according to you, theymos' personal gains with this is basically him giving perhaps more money than he needs to for the development of the forum software?
If so, I don't particularly see how this is any sort of enrichment for theymos.

Activity: 99
Merit: 10
March 16, 2016, 10:48:51 PM
Even if he was 100% honest and did not use the funds for any personal enrichment
What personal enrichment does theymos get out of paying for new forum software to be made?

3. ? ? ?
4. PROFIT!

Except, our code is open source and hosted on Github. You can track the progress of the software in real time, as we're writing it. And no, we're not doing this for free.

link: http://github.com/epochtalk/epochtalk
legendary
In Memory of Zepher
March 16, 2016, 08:14:11 PM
3. ? ? ?
4. PROFIT!

So, according to you, theymos' personal gains with this is basically him giving perhaps more money than he needs to for the development of the forum software?
If so, I don't particularly see how this is any sort of enrichment for theymos.
March 16, 2016, 12:13:20 PM
Even if he was 100% honest and did not use the funds for any personal enrichment
What personal enrichment does theymos get out of paying for new forum software to be made?

3. ? ? ?
4. PROFIT!

Activity: 99
Merit: 10
March 14, 2016, 10:10:18 PM
Yea the "HERO" member stuff is just a placeholder for now. We should be moving into the trust/activity work some time this week so that'll be functional soon.

Also Beta was down because we were in the middle of updating the beta DB with the latest from this forum. We're trying to keep up to date and making sure our importer can handle staged imports (so we don't have to rebuild the DB each and every time). We found a bug so we had to shut the site down for a bit while we addressed that bug.

administrator
Activity: 3738
Merit: 2948
March 14, 2016, 04:09:51 AM
what's wrong with beta.bitcointalk.org? I've tried visiting it few times since few days ago but I always get 502 Bad Gateway error. this site and this site is giving me different results too.

Down for some updates. Should be up soon.
legendary
Activity: 1876
Merit: 1289
DiceSites.com owner
March 14, 2016, 03:27:23 AM
Yes, on http://epochtalk.org/map.html "Activity System" is under "Planned Features".
4 Mana 7/7
March 14, 2016, 03:24:22 AM
I don't know but today this was posted:

Quote from: theymos on reddit
It's still being actively developed. There's info here: http://epochtalk.org . There's a test version running at https://forum.epochtalk.org/

So if you really want to test the new software, it's still possible Tongue
Mayne it looks cool. Still don't know why everyone is listed as a Hero member though, is it because the member rank limits have not yet been set? Or is it because "Activity" is not implemented yet?
legendary
Activity: 1876
Merit: 1289
DiceSites.com owner
March 14, 2016, 12:07:48 AM
I don't know but today this was posted:

Quote from: theymos on reddit
It's still being actively developed. There's info here: http://epochtalk.org . There's a test version running at https://forum.epochtalk.org/

So if you really want to test the new software, it's still possible Tongue
Pages:
Jump to: