Pages:
Author

Topic: New logo and visual identity for Bitcoin - page 2. (Read 5073 times)

legendary
Activity: 1946
Merit: 1000
October 03, 2014, 01:27:56 PM
Bitcoin is new and nothing in Bitcoin has been done a "long time ago" unless you think 5 years is a long time.

Yes, 5 years is a LONG TIME for any brand or business.  Especially in tech.
Activity: 658
Merit: 500
October 03, 2014, 07:39:30 AM
Which one do you like most?

2 or 4, B or E.
I don't like G because it looks similar to MasterCard.
legendary
Activity: 1106
Merit: 1005
October 03, 2014, 01:40:12 AM
Hi everyone,

Although this is my first post, I'm not a complete noob here. I have been following the bitcoin news for quite some time and, although initially I was sceptical, I am now fully confident Bitcoin is going to make it.

Having a visual arts background, I can't help noticing how Bitcoin's graphical support is lacking the modern edge it deserves. I mean no disrespect to any of the fine people who devoted their time and good will to design the existing and past promo materials. But I do believe there is room for improvement.

Since I am excited to support Bitcoin's evolution and expansion in the best way I possibly can, I have come up with a new visual ID for BTC which includes a new logo and a set of buttons.

I am aware that currently used graphical support has its value not just in its appearance but also in its wide ranging prominence. However, modernising the brand now is still better than doing it several years down the road when half the world would have to support the switch. Besides, from everything I've seen so far, this is a community of devoted Bitcoin supporters who will be eager and agile in supporting the transition, provided that we reach consensus on this.

So, without further ado, here are the graphical elements I am suggesting to be used to represent Bitcoin:

https://medium.com/btc-magazine/new-visual-identity-for-bitcoin-85fcdca7ac41

Thank you for your attention. I hope for good feedback.

nope

the doube strikethrough is bitcoin, the single strikethrough is the thai baht... trust me you dont want to mess with the thai government..

but feel free to design something thats not already used,. after all coming soon people will start measuring bitcoins in such small amounts (atleast 500 out of 700 votes to name it 'bits' to represent 100 satoshi's) so it might be worth you concentrating on designing the symbol for 'bits'

þ   Þ  β   Ъ  ъ  Б  Ѣ  ᵬ  ҍ

The votes were mostly to show support for the fact that 100 satoshi as a unit should have its own name.

However the name bit itself does not nearly have that much support. And has equal if not greater amounts of people opposing to that name as it has support.

legendary
Activity: 4270
Merit: 4534
October 02, 2014, 12:34:11 PM
i got bored and thought id might inspire your creative mind

Activity: 46
Merit: 0
October 01, 2014, 07:57:24 PM

*Steps backward, defocuses eyes*

Hmmmm... let's see.. Microsoft?

Smiley
Just kidding. Got the point. And.. thank you for being the most constructive contributor in this thread. I appreciate it.
legendary
October 01, 2014, 06:22:30 PM
anyone recognise the company this logo refers to

legendary
October 01, 2014, 06:20:56 PM
goldmundo. in my next post ill show you something that is new compared to the standard design of a well known corporation. and although its new and different, you will instantly recognize the company it refers to even without me saying it.

you need to realize that all the media, PR companies, and businesses trading bitcoin recognize the BTC being bitcoin. as for which font it uses or the colour scheme.. feel free to be creative.

just realise what is the most recognised feature people relate to bitcoin, keep that. and then feel free to change the rest

but if you really want a clean slate. aim you talents at bits.
Activity: 1190
Merit: 516
Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!
October 01, 2014, 03:44:26 PM

Yeah, I was quite sure this 'design' was meant to be a joke.
btw, what does P.G. mean?
Nothing on there seems to fit the context: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=PG

p.g is a known user on this forum called Phinnaeus Gage (gleb is one of phinnaeus's most recent alternate names.)

sometimes he makes sense and has valid, smart comments.. but sometimes he, well ill leave you to form an opinion on him

Thanks for clearing that up. I know Phinnaeus' posts for sure. Plenty of them around. Didn't know Gleb was his new handle.
October 01, 2014, 12:43:49 PM
Hey, debate is good. Smiley

It helps me to see how people react to the change and although the people who comment here may not be representative of the whole community it still means something.

I'm here with a genuine wish to help Bitcoin succeed. I don't give a rat's ass for someone saying "hey, you know, Goldmund designed the Bitcoin logo". I stopped doing design for money (or fame) long time ago. Therefore, I wish to try my best to offer a solution that will both look strong enough and still manage to get the long time bitcoin people to accept it. Not everyone can be pleased but, luckily, that is not the goal. My goal is to recreate Bitcoin's visual identity to give it a modern, timeless design that will stay with it through many years of explosive growth. Is it a huge task? Yes. Am I up to it? Time will tell, but I sure am not going to give up after a few people on the forum said they like the "drunken BTC" and there's no need to change anything. Smiley

If there are other professional designers who are also Bitcoin enthusiasts I would be happy to collaborate and exchange ideas. It will be more fun!
legendary
October 01, 2014, 11:40:00 AM

The gold logo used on here, is simply a Coin Logo. the Orange one is the "main" logo in my eyes. but everyone's opinion may be different

yes many opinions.
in my eyes as long as its BTC then i know its bitcoin. i can type it, hand write it. no problems. as for the background. that is all personal preference. alot of people use the orange circle for 'bumper stickers' and merchant material like window stickers and stuff. where as the gold coin is more used for "glossy PR stuff" like media presentations, leaflets, news reports, TV stuff.

i think 10% care about the background but 90% care about the actual BTC symbol.

either way. this discussion proved my earliest point a few pages back.

altering "bitcoin" has caused 4 pages of debate. the OP will have more creative freedom without pages of debate by concentrating on 'bits'
Activity: 73
Merit: 10
★☆★777Coin.com★☆★ What are you waiting for?
October 01, 2014, 11:30:31 AM
An overall community change of the bitcoin logo will never happen. I support your efforts in designing a "new" logo. Yet this will only be adopted by few and will be recognized by bitcoin users if they run across this logo at a shop or online store, but not used as the main theme for bitcoin's logo.

Which one is the "main" logo, the orange one or the gold one used for this forum?

The gold logo used on here, is simply a Coin Logo. the Orange one is the "main" logo in my eyes. but everyone's opinion may be different
Q7
Activity: 448
Merit: 250
October 01, 2014, 10:19:53 AM
Some people may not like the single strike through. Some prefer the original. Whatever it is there's always personal preference.

But just to clarify on the baht issue. The symbol I'm seeing is ฿ for baht while what Op submitted is also a single line but it didn't cut through the whole 'b' alphabet. So don't think it's an issue here
Activity: 510
October 01, 2014, 10:14:16 AM
An overall community change of the bitcoin logo will never happen. I support your efforts in designing a "new" logo. Yet this will only be adopted by few and will be recognized by bitcoin users if they run across this logo at a shop or online store, but not used as the main theme for bitcoin's logo.

Which one is the "main" logo, the orange one or the gold one used for this forum?

Activity: 73
★☆★777Coin.com★☆★ What are you waiting for?
October 01, 2014, 10:05:04 AM
legendary
October 01, 2014, 08:54:02 AM
goldmundo is correct about there being sub conscious psychology of color

red=bad
green=good
think about it
red=blood, traffic light stop signs
green= nature, traffic light go signs

psychology shows that green is nature, peaceful and freedom, just like in nature red berries in caveman times indicated poisonous where as green apples, pears indicated healthy food.

blue, like the sky/water subconsciously indicate 'fresh' 'clean'
Activity: 64
October 01, 2014, 08:34:15 AM
I like the current logo but it does seem a little dated or doesn't match the technology, so I think it could be modernised or made to look a little bit more sleak, but I'm not a fan of OPs designs (no offence). Keep trying though.
Activity: 658
October 01, 2014, 08:25:56 AM
As a quick experiment, can you imagine the US dollar bill in purple, yellow, pink, baby blue, red...? It doesn't work, does it?

If you think a pink or yellow or blue bill is a bad idea, then you don't know the Euro, the Canadian dollar, the Australian dollar, the Mexican peso, and many other currencies I can't think about, all of which use “rainbow money”, with different colors for different denominations.
October 01, 2014, 04:45:24 AM
why does everything have to be fucking blue???

I understand your frustration. Smiley

But it is not by accident. There's science that stands behind it.

Each colour has its particular meaning and resonates with certain mental-emotional frequencies in your brain. You don't have to be a designer, photographer or clairvoyant  to be affected by these different colour qualities, everyone is. But for most people, this works on a deeply unconscious level and has nothing to do with their personal taste. These "colour laws" work in the same way for everyone regardless of their colour preferences.

Now, for an entity that aspires to be the new, widely adopted worldwide currency, there is really not too many colour options to choose from. As a quick experiment, can you imagine the US dollar bill in purple, yellow, pink, baby blue, red...? It doesn't work, does it?

Absolutely ideal colour to represent money, psychologically, energetically speaking, would be a kind of olive green (see example below). This colour resonates spot on with money. And not because the old dollar used to use it, actually the other way around - dollar used it because the people who were in charge of designing dollar bills knew about this stuff and applied many "tricks" to make dollar bills look as powerful and trustworthy as possible.

I thought about this for a long time and decided not to propose the green option for a few reasons. One is, this particular, olive green would be even less likely to win over the hearts of long term bitcoiners. It's sticky, looks a bit dirty, impure... And if we're going to change this it really needs to get support of the core community. The other reason is that other than being just money, Bitcoin is also a technological phenomenon which makes it strongly resonate with blue. Again, it is no accident that Intel, Dell, HP, IBM and a million other tech companies have tech-blue logos. And then there are also these elements of cleanliness, innovation, simplicity and freedom (blue resonates with these qualities) that resonate with Bitcoin but definitely not with money per se.

Orange is not an outright terrible choice (as red or purple would be) and it even has certain qualities that are beneficial (encourages growth and multiplication), yet it still doesn't stand a chance when confronted by blue or green as described above.

Activity: 128
Merit: 103
September 30, 2014, 06:47:54 PM
not being rude to you - i can't design anything...

BUT

blue - i hate the sheer amount of blue everywhere i go on the internet..

why does everything have to be fucking blue???
Pages:
Jump to: