Pages:
Author

Topic: New logo and visual identity for Bitcoin - page 3. (Read 5073 times)

legendary
Activity: 4270
Merit: 4534
September 30, 2014, 04:45:18 PM

Yeah, I was quite sure this 'design' was meant to be a joke.
btw, what does P.G. mean?
Nothing on there seems to fit the context: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=PG

p.g is a known user on this forum called Phinnaeus Gage (gleb is one of phinnaeus's most recent alternate names.)

sometimes he makes sense and has valid, smart comments.. but sometimes he, well ill leave you to form an opinion on him
Activity: 1190
Merit: 516
Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!
September 30, 2014, 04:31:41 PM
Activity: 14
Merit: 0
September 30, 2014, 03:30:26 PM
I would advise against a change. It's already established and widely used among shops, exchanges,...
The non-Bitcoin world should not be confused with several logos floating around.
Besides, I think the orange color looks better, more eye catching and is a better representation of themes like "innovation" than this serious blue.

I agree, everyone recognizes the current Bitcoin symbol. To change it would only be confusing.
legendary
Activity: 1789
Merit: 1008
Keep it dense, yeah?
September 30, 2014, 02:11:53 PM
I think that the Bitcoin logo is great as it is. In fact, so much so that whenever I see a shade of orange similar to that used in the Bitcoin logo I instantly think of Bitcoin.

There will always be the talk of re-branding, but just like Bitcoin itself it is all about adoption. There are already lots of stickers and flyers out there with the current logo set printed. Not to mention the footprint left in peoples' memory.
vip
Activity: 1428
Merit: 1145
September 30, 2014, 01:44:43 PM

But in some shade of pink.

Activity: 399
Merit: 250
September 30, 2014, 01:31:52 PM

So, without further ado, here are the graphical elements I am suggesting to be used to represent Bitcoin:

https://medium.com/btc-magazine/new-visual-identity-for-bitcoin-85fcdca7ac41

Thank you for your attention. I hope for good feedback.

These are really nice! I like the blue and the new font. I think I agree with franky1 on keeping the double strike though.
Activity: 510
Merit: 500
September 30, 2014, 01:18:30 PM
BTC logo has been around for a LONG TIME and is firmly established.  There's been quite a few topics like this but most of them were from LONG AGO.  I'm also a designer.  I'd suggest you put some work in with an alt coin which hasn't been around as long and needs help with branding.  Smiley

Bitcoin is new and nothing in Bitcoin has been done a "long time ago" unless you think 5 years is a long time.  Most people have never heard of Bitcoin and there has not been any significant branding to date.  New logo proposals are just fine.
Activity: 6
September 30, 2014, 12:41:08 PM
I think double horned bitcoin logo is already known to general public now. Changing it will only cause confusion.
Activity: 67
Merit: 10
September 30, 2014, 12:26:17 PM
BTC logo has been around for a LONG TIME and is firmly established. 

Yeah, it seems like the world has gotten used to the current logo already. I think alt ones could be used, but I've seen better designs than ops one.
legendary
Activity: 1946
Merit: 1000
September 30, 2014, 12:23:44 PM
BTC logo has been around for a LONG TIME and is firmly established.  There's been quite a few topics like this but most of them were from LONG AGO.  I'm also a designer.  I'd suggest you put some work in with an alt coin which hasn't been around as long and needs help with branding.  Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1011
In Satoshi I Trust
September 30, 2014, 12:19:34 PM
no need for a change. thx.
Activity: 658
September 30, 2014, 12:13:32 PM
this is why liberty dollar got shut down, because of the use of the $ symbol.

I don't think that was the reason. Liberty dollar was meant to be a replacement of the US dollar (it even shares its name). Bitcoin, on the other hand, has no relationship with the Thai baht. Bitcoin might want to go against national currencies, but all of them in general, not the baht specifically.

exactly, so thats why i said dont use the thai baht, thai government wont like it!

You're not getting my point.
legendary
September 30, 2014, 11:30:34 AM
I'm still a little lost on why the BTC symbol must be in a particular font.

the BTC is not really important that its a particular font, nor is the colour background inportant.. but the whole single or double strikethrough is the main thing that people do not like to see change.

i have nothing against a blue background or the neosans typeface. but i and many others still want the double strikethrough.

im all for people being creative. i just think the OP will have alot more freedom and fun to go in any creative direction he pleases and be.. maybe the first to make the symbol for 'bits' as thats where things are going to move to in the future.

after all the egyptians use to move tonnes of gold. now we 21st century folk talk mainly about ounces, even if tonnes is still a valid measure (just not used as much by mere mortals and only really used within bank reserves and financial behind the scenes stuff)
Activity: 46
September 30, 2014, 11:16:04 AM

The font used is Neo Sans:  http://www.fonts.com/font/monotype/neo-sans

It is a nice modern font but I'm not sure if there would be any licensing issues with people using that particular typeface.

From Wikipedia:

"Under U.S. law, typefaces and the letter forms or glyphs they comprise are considered to be utilitarian objects whose utility outweighs any merit that may exist in protecting their creative elements. Typefaces are exempt from copyright protection in the United States (Code of Federal Regulations, Ch 37, Sec. 202.1(e); Eltra Corp. vs. Ringer)."
legendary
Activity: 2674
Merit: 2203
BitcoinPenny.com
September 30, 2014, 10:55:43 AM
I'm still a little lost on why the BTC symbol must be in a particular font. Is the US dollar symbol $ only good/legible/official/legal if it's written in a particular font? I always thought the symbol could be written in any number of fonts. (After all, it's not even shown on the dollar bill.)

And what about handwriting the symbol? I've seen the US dollar symbol written with a single strike-thru as well as a double strike-thru.

I guess that my main confusion comes by comparing it to the US dollar sign, and maybe that's wrong. Personally, I don't care how you write/type/print the US dollar sign--italics, no italics, single strike-thru, double strike-thru, Arial, Times New Roman, whatever. I'll recognize it, and I won't doubt its legitimacy. In other words, if I'm shopping at a local store and see a sales sign with "dollars off," I'm not going to question the font. (Personally, I think it would be ridiculous to do so.) "Excuse me, miss? I see the sale sign, but I'm unclear about the font. Is the discount in US Arial dollars or US Times New Roman dollars? Oh, I see. When do you plan on running the next US Double Strike-thru Italics sale?"

Again, maybe it's just me.

Personally, I like the original, double-strike-thru BTC symbol.

Regards,
Christopher
Activity: 630
September 30, 2014, 10:27:15 AM
Just a question.

What is the font you are using for these designs? Did you design it too?

The font used is Neo Sans:  http://www.fonts.com/font/monotype/neo-sans

It is a nice modern font but I'm not sure if there would be any licensing issues with people using that particular typeface.
Q7
Activity: 448
Merit: 250
September 30, 2014, 08:49:32 AM
Call me old school but i still prefer the light background design which is orangy in color. As in your case, i prefer the blend of gold orangy shades that u have put in. Good work!!!!
legendary
September 30, 2014, 08:42:36 AM
this is why liberty dollar got shut down, because of the use of the $ symbol.

I don't think that was the reason. Liberty dollar was meant to be a replacement of the US dollar (it even shares its name). Bitcoin, on the other hand, has no relationship with the Thai baht. Bitcoin might want to go against national currencies, but all of them in general, not the baht specifically.

exactly, so thats why i said dont use the thai baht, thai government wont like it!

anyway this discussion of single strikethrough ฿ vs doubleBTC is futile, its much easier to stick with the double strike through and use our energies to move to the future and think about the innovation to come. such as designing logo's for bits(100satoshi's)

lots of people are thinking of many unicodes that look like a letter b, but with funny tails. some have even thought about the name satoshi and want bits symbol to be §

Pages:
Jump to: