Pages:
Author

Topic: New Mt. Gox class action in U.S. - page 4. (Read 6420 times)

Activity: 192
Merit: 100
May 22, 2014, 04:52:55 PM
really would be good to have a way to recover from our losses; even if we don't get back all of it.
Activity: 332
Merit: 253
May 22, 2014, 12:08:12 AM
I wonder if we can pierce the corporate veil and go after Karpeles directly for negligence and spending our money on doughnut shops and domain names? I doubt Japan has any sort of criminal negligence liabilities in their civil laws.

Working on this presently. It is likely possible.
May 22, 2014, 12:07:34 AM
Is this the lawsuit "settled" via the Sunlot deal? Are the terms of that available as court records?

Yes the settlement and all documents are available through the Pacer system.

That particular class action was settled, but I don't believe the class was certified. This suggests another class action lawsuit could be started if needed, particularly in another district. They could eventually be consolidated, but that would be a later action.
Activity: 168
May 21, 2014, 07:18:33 PM
It would take me about 20 minutes in a room alone with Karpeles and I would know exactly where the coins are.

If he knows where they are and how to get them back.

Which, being him Mark Karpeles, I highly doubt.
Activity: 9
Merit: 0
May 21, 2014, 05:52:04 PM
I also wonder if it is possible to sue the Japanese government for failing to find the coins or release any information to people that might be able to. There must be some sort of time line where they must make an arrest or at the bare minimum give a statement that they are purposely not making any statements for a good reason.

I think everybody knows that if they were not making statements for a good reason they would tells us. Since they are not making any comments or giving any updates, it sounds like a clusterfuck over there. They barely even heard of Bitcoin. I can just picture 3 Japanese Barney Fifes sitting trying to figure out this crime.

The longer they keep waiting and don't find the coins the colder the trail and the less chance we have at finding them ourselves. It would take me about 20 minutes in a room alone with Karpeles and I would know exactly where the coins are.

A couple of Jelly doughnuts, a pair of pliers, a hammer and a rusty tuna can lid would get him to talk.
Activity: 9
Merit: 0
May 21, 2014, 05:40:43 PM
The Plaintiffs probably got a much better deal plus a huge fee for their attorney. It is my understanding that the dropping of the complaint was only toward Gox, Gay Pierre and the former owner of Gox. However, Karpeles is not off the hook. He will probably cut some kind of deal to "find" more "lost" Bitcoins if he gets a piece of the action.

I wonder if we can pierce the corporate veil and go after Karpeles directly for negligence and spending our money on doughnut shops and domain names? I doubt Japan has any sort of criminal negligence liabilities in their civil laws.

I am still hoping Karpeles was not lying when he said the Bitcoins were not lost, just "temporarily unavailable" and that the government froze them.

Thank you for the Pacer files!
Activity: 238
May 21, 2014, 03:36:47 AM
Is this the lawsuit "settled" via the Sunlot deal? Are the terms of that available as court records?
Why do you suppose the plaintiffs were so quick to settle? Could there have been a flaw in their case, such as having listed the wrong set of defendants? Should a new class action suit be filed, it would be good not to repeat mistakes, if any, made by the earlier one.
legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1000
May 21, 2014, 12:58:40 AM
May 20, 2014, 11:18:56 PM
Found the documents on Pacer for case 1:14-cv-01437. Posted on scribd with all exhibits for those who may be interested: http://www.scribd.com/doc/225373622/Greene-vs-MtGox-Preliminary-Injunction-8-April-2014
May 20, 2014, 10:26:56 PM
Given the lack of information coming out of the trustee for Mt. Gox in Japan, I'm beginning to think another class-action lawsuit in the U.S. may be the best way to go. The settlement with Sunlot is a pile of nonsense in my opinion -- how can one reasonably agree to a settlement before one even knows what was going on at Mt. Gox?

My understanding is that the class in Greene vs. Mt. Gox was never certified, so that it should be possible to start another class action, does that seem correct?

I am also searching for the Motion for Preliminary Injunction of April 8, 2014. According to exhibit 2 of the preliminary settlement, this 34 page document sets forth the results of the Plaintiffs discovery efforts. It seems like this could be an interesting read. Any pointers?
Pages:
Jump to: