Pages:
Author

Topic: New Mt Gox Press Release - Feb 10 - they are claiming flaw in bitcoin protocol ! - page 10. (Read 33055 times)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0
from gmaxwell
21 January 2013‎
And you'll note that page is citing a forum thread from 2011.  Bitcoin v0.8 rolled out the first round of fixes to eventually remove malleability way back then too... and we've seen bouts of amounts of malleability use on the network, back in 2012 if not sooner— I haven't grepped my logs.

I overlooked the 2013  Sad

But if it did occur, then a spend with the same input,output and quantity should have shown up to the receiver address right? Just not with the original txout. It wouldn't explain a transaction delay where nothing is transacted or would it?
legendary
Activity: 1372
Merit: 1014
This is a blame game - they want to buy some time.
If the procol got bugs, how come it's only MtGox that has detected this bug?

Precisely. There is that well known post on Reddid where this is explained in detail; obviously it is not a problem for others just Gox, due to their homecooked spagetti code.

A good excuse, but still an excuse.
Activity: 401
Merit: 250
Not entirely. A shitload went for prices ranging from $600 to $102. ALL open buy orders in that range were filled, only the few at the very bottom went for $102.

Dang, that really makes me wish I'd had a standing buy order setup for some ridiculously low price.
Activity: 237
Merit: 101
It seems more like a protocol exploit than a bug or failure.
But it's one that has now been seen in the wild at least twice:
the ghash.io double-spend attacks against SD and now with withdraws from Gox.

Even if it is an exploit that affects certain types of business practices rather than a real protocol-level failure, it still seems serious.
At the time of the ghash double spend I remember gmaxwell saying essentially 'that's what you get if you base your business model on unconfirmed transactions," which I thought was a bit flip, but now it sounds like mutated transactions can make it into the block chain which seems to cement the obfuscation into a kind of "he said, she said" scenario.  

Even if it has been known about for several years, it has now come to life in a big way. Not good.
staff
Activity: 4242
Merit: 8672

Allowing fraud?  Thats exclusively a problem with Gox's transaction handling practices and really has little to do with malleability (which is a long known, usually minor, issue in Bitcoin which is slowly being fixed).

The issue is that fraud is made possible by _failing_ to double-spend when you cancel or reissue a transaction. If you do correctly double-spend then the fraud cannot occur regardless of the malleability. If you don't, it can occur, again— with or without malleability.

See also: http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_name=CAAS2fgTx8UzQiocyNMfMNkt2uUZRTmhagb2BY9TPuAupVjVa2g%40mail.gmail.com&forum_name=bitcoin-development

The malleability issue seems real enough.  Something was published on it on 21 january on bitcoin.it, maybe someone had to try it out
21 January 2013‎
And you'll note that page is citing a forum thread from 2011.  Bitcoin v0.8 rolled out the first round of fixes to eventually remove malleability way back then too... and we've seen bouts of amounts of malleability use on the network, back in 2012 if not sooner— I haven't grepped my logs.

Activity: 2
The malleability issue seems real enough.  Something was published on it on 21 january on bitcoin.it, maybe someone had to try it out

21 January 2013‎
legendary
Activity: 1232
Merit: 1195
???Is this bug fixed already in other software?

So who can tell how long it will take MtGox to upgrade their withdrawl system to a correct version?

I believe so yes. Gox should've sorted this long ago. Seems like an excuse to me.
Activity: 840
Merit: 509
legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002
RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME
A shitload went for 102.
Not entirely. A shitload went for prices ranging from $600 to $102. ALL open buy orders in that range were filled, only the few at the very bottom went for $102.

This is what happens if some retard dumps 10,000+ coins in a no-limit order Smiley

"the retard" might be a leverage trading platform that make margin calls..... so many ppl lost money because of this FUD and its out of their control.
Not sure why you put retard in quotes. Someone dumping 10,000+ coins at an average price of, say, $300 (not sure, depends on how buy orders where distributed in that $102-$600 range) which are worth $600 each a minute later, how is that not retarded?

I think he was trying to say that maybe it was a software decision of a leveraged trading platform. Maybe not a real person making the call. Still- a lot of people got scccrreeewwwed.
legendary
Activity: 1554
Merit: 1000
A shitload went for 102.

This is what happens if some retard dumps 10,000+ coins in a no-limit order Smiley

"the retard" might be a leverage trading platform that make margin calls..... so many ppl lost money because of this FUD and its out of their control.
Not sure why you put retard in quotes. Someone dumping 10,000+ coins at an average price of, say, $300 (not sure, depends on how buy orders where distributed in that $102-$600 range) which are worth $600 each a minute later, how is that not retarded?
Tis a Fat-Finger fuckup. Who still wants to credit whales as 'smart' money?  Tongue
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1011
Gee, I wonder.. Would it be Bitcoin's fault, or MtGox's?

(click for full res)
Activity: 141
Merit: 100
 ???Is this bug fixed already in other software?

So who can tell how long it will take MtGox to upgrade their withdrawl system to a correct version?

legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1011
A shitload went for 102.

Activity: 14
The malleability issue seems real enough.  Something was published on it on 21 january on bitcoin.it, maybe someone had to try it out...

That said I did a withdrawal on 28th january from Mt. Gox (and it was taken from my balance on 28th january). It failed to get in to the receiver until 31st january after I had complained about it with their support. Blockchain.info did not show any transaction coming in to the receiver address on the 28th of january with the original txout or with anything different. The support ticket went unanswered until after the transaction was finally done (on the 31st of january). The answer when it did come on the 5th of february claimed that some users were experiencing delays in withdrawals and that I had to rest assured that this was only affecting limited users and transactions.....

I was immediately distrustful of this statement, and this weekends saga much confirms it.
Activity: 196
Merit: 100

Here, although I'm good with graphics as much as they're good with code Smiley
Activity: 24
gox  spent all the  btc in bitchs gambling and red wine like lords!

now they want to scare the market to buy BTC cheaper!!  Roll Eyes  Grin
Activity: 658
Merit: 500
A shitload went for 102.

Pages:
Jump to: