Pages:
Author

Topic: NFTs in the Bitcoin blockchain - Ordinal Theory - page 21. (Read 9195 times)

Activity: 1036
Merit: 350
my really good cant lose power is capped at 275 kwatts
must be nice getting your power for free. i guess that's about what it will have to be someday to able to make a profit from mining.  Shocked

Am i an expert no. but i do know what is good for me to do.
how are you getting your power for free though.  all your machines would not be profitable if you had to pay normal rates for it
legendary
Activity: 2170
Merit: 6279
be constructive or S.T.F.U
maybe you're missing something change your phrase to "more people that are trying to use it" would make more sense. bitcoin can only do 7 transactions per second no matter what the transaction fees are...

That number does not change with low fees either, so not sure what is the point you are trying to make, the only way for transactions to be so cheap is when blocks are not full.

well if bitcoin transaction fees ever go over about $5 i'll be using something else that has a more reasonable transaction fee. why pay through the nose when you don't have to?

Using and owning/buying are two different things, besides, the same thing will happen when fees go above $1 many people will stop transacting using BTC, same thing for when it hits $2  or any other number, but if it stays at $200 it simply means there are enough people willing to pay that much for a reason.

In reality, BTC is a final settlement protocol, it is like the settlement that happens between central banks ones every quarter of even yearly, final settlements are expensive and slow in nature, fees are low now because on the grand scheme of things nobody uses BTC for payments now, but eventually, it will be a lot more expensive regardless of who are the people using it, but again, BTC does not need you to transact it, just by holding it gives it value, it is like saying Gold is expensive to move, and thus it is useless, ya it is hard to take a bag of Gold to spend it at your local store, easier to use your credit card, that does not take away from the fact that Gold is superior to fiat.

I would not count on BTC on-chain to be usable by average people for daily small payments, fees above 5$ is easily doable without NFTs, it is only a matter of time.
legendary
Activity: 4116
Merit: 7849
'The right to privacy matters'
If you think the majority supports ordinals, why don't you create a poll on this and we'll see who's the majority?
Where did he state that the majority supports Ordinals, and since when is bitcointalk the gate to the majority?

[...]
It's roughly what's happening, I guess. Miners follow profit, but there is concern on whether short-term profit is greater than long-term, or if excessive fee rate is more desirable in the end. I can guess the miners don't care a lot about the long-term, but a mining expert can give us some better insight.

I have been doing for 11 years. started with a mac pro and a single amd gpu.

I have 200kwatts used out of 275 kwatt max.
I have 2.3ph paid off sha miners
I have 45gh paid off Scrypt miners
I have 10gh paid off  gpus
I have some kda miners not much
I have some grin miners not much

my really good cant lose power is capped at 275 kwatts

so my expansion number need to take that into account
the no debt expansion is absolutely critical since I dont fear the bear no loans coming due.

Am i an expert no. but i do know what is good for me to do.
Activity: 1624
Merit: 294
The discussion reminds me of the sustainability problem. On one extreme, if all moved to lightning there would be minimum incentive to mine. On the other extreme, if all moved on-chain, there would be minimum incentive to use due to the excessive cost. Obviously we'll find an equilibrium.
Agreed. People should stop taking extreme positions.

Bitcoin is the perfect embodiment of a free market system (hashing difficulty adjustment).

On-chain for big transactions + off-chain for microtransactions = equilibrium achieved

If only it were this simple.
Free market is actually very simple, as long as people of power don't meddle with it.
If BTC is worth 200k and fees are at 200$ it simply means that more people are actually using it,
maybe you're missing something change your phrase to "more people that are trying to use it" would make more sense. bitcoin can only do 7 transactions per second no matter what the transaction fees are...

there is no need to convince anyone at that point, you need to keep in mind that the 200$ is set by users not by miners, if enough folks pay 200$ fees will be 200$, if they think it is worth it, they will keep paying it, nobody could care less about how sad anyone else for not being able to use the blockchain to pay for their 20$ bill at walmart. If anything, higher fees simply mean people with more value are using the network, does not matter who and for what purpose.
well if bitcoin transaction fees ever go over about $5 i'll be using something else that has a more reasonable transaction fee. why pay through the nose when you don't have to?
legendary
I am not sure myself how much volume we can handle with a combination of Lightning & on-chain at the current block size, but I heavily advocate for keeping it as low as possible for as long as possible. Ordinals goes completely against this by effectively reducing the block space we can effectively use for transactions.

This is one part of the issue here, we don't seem to have a perfect agreement on how blocks should be, you want them to be as empty as possible, while I might want them to be as full as possible, I don't know about you, but sure thing is I could be biased as someone who mines bitcoin for a business, but I am pretty sure I am not alone in this.

Keep in mind that I am on a "moderate level of greed" compared to many other miners, most miners I know hate LN because they think it takes away from the fees which they could have otherwise collected, I have to always defend things like LN in front of most miners and try my best to explain to them that despite taking away from them, it's all done for a greater purpose, and should LN becomes mainstream, blocks will be full again and they would be making even more money.

I also try to tell them that it's best for us as miners that more people actually "BUY" bitcoin and not just transact it,LN users have to buy Bitcoin to start with, so the more users mean more buyers which essentially leads to a greater value, more rewards for miners and more security for everyone else, so basically, the more users the better for everyone, which is why I don't like to dismiss the rights of anyone who wants to use the blockchain in the way they like, you want to build a layer-2 system to allow people to make small transactions? I won't go against it, you want to hold some NFTs on the blockchain? I won't go against it, anything that brings more users/value to the system is going to be good for bitcoin as a whole.

It's roughly what's happening, I guess. Miners follow profit, but there is concern on whether short-term profit is greater than long-term, or if excessive fee rate is more desirable in the end. I can guess the miners don't care a lot about the long-term, but a mining expert can give us some better insight.

I wouldn't call myself a miner expert, but I have been mining for nearly 7 years now, starting from a small mine at home, to now having a 2MW farm, having managed a few extremely large farms, spoke with folks who own even larger farms, pools' owners, even with mining gears manufacturers, I can tell you that Phil's concern is valid.

It's hard to tell whether we look at short or long-term profit, but I would assume it's something in between, Phill's power deal forces him to always think ahead of the other miners like myself, he gets 50% of whatever he mines using x power (which is limited), and he needs to buy the gears, so he would probably do some medium range maths to decide whether to invest the next 20k in SHA256 or in Scrpyt, the calculation he does now, is probably going to be different from the one he makes 10 months from now when BTC's halving would be 2 months away.

So if his 20k is going to ROI in 3 years with SHA256, he will just go with another algo, regardless of whether or not he thinks that BTC will stay there forever and Doge/LTC could die in 5 years.

I will be forced to follow the same logic that Phill's applies as we move further into more halvings, in fact, I face this dilemma every time I make a new purchase, I spend days with my partner trying to point that cash to the "perfect" algo, we both agree that BTC has more future chances of survival then LTC or Doge, but when it's 2 year ROI vs 8 months ROI for the same amount of power, you will seem to focus more on the short-term than not.

As the rewards shrink in value, the difference between mining BTC and other coins could be even greater than now, to the point where most miners would start looking at short-term as opposed to long-term, and there are only 2 things to stop money from going into those coins and to keep it flowing to secure BTC.

1- Increase rewards (you can't do that with the block rewards, can't play with the max supply) so it MUST come from fees.
2- BTC's fiat value has to grow a lot more than the other coins to offset the ROI difference.

No.2 is more difficult to happen since those coins have a much lower market cap than BTC and it's easier to increase their value than BTC, the good thing however, it's also a lot easier to bring their profitability down since their hashrate is a lot lower than on BTC when translated to value > hashrate.

legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 7340
Farewell, Leo
If you think the majority supports ordinals, why don't you create a poll on this and we'll see who's the majority?
Where did he state that the majority supports Ordinals, and since when is bitcointalk the gate to the majority?

[...]
legendary
The discussion reminds me of the sustainability problem. On one extreme, if all moved to lightning there would be minimum incentive to mine. On the other extreme, if all moved on-chain, there would be minimum incentive to use due to the excessive cost. Obviously we'll find an equilibrium.

Bitcoin is the perfect embodiment of a free market system (hashing difficulty adjustment).

On-chain for big transactions + off-chain for microtransactions = equilibrium achieved

If only it were this simple.
Activity: 1624
Merit: 294

legendary

That could happen as result of people using Bitcoin to buy coffee
Forget coffees and teas. This could happen if millions joined the network and wanted to open just one lightning channel.

Well I look at this from a mining viewpoint. My power deal will always be good to earn profit.

As some say mining a btc costs 16k for me mining a coin costs 50% or 10.2k and the 50% is a constant.

Wether I mine any algo I pay 50% all the time.

So I look at mining from a different viewpoint then others.

Nfts and ordinals will boost fees which in turn means I earn more btc.

I realize higher fees may make btc investors not want to have the coin.

and lower fees will make miners stop mining the coin.

legendary
Activity: 2240
Merit: 1172
Privacy Servers. Since 2009.
Muahahahaha... so you're trying to say that in fact the majority of Bitcoin users support ordinals? That's like the funniest stuff I've heard this year.  Grin
I don't think there's much sense in this discussion when your opposition is coming up with bozo claims like this...

What I'm saying is that you seem to suffer from the same thing a delusion of being the voice of many, and worse than that is manifesting the same commie behavior of judging one who doesn't agree with you as an enemy. The most important thing is, how do you know what the majority wants? Maybe as extrapolating from the views here the majority doesn't like ordinals but they hate censorship more, which for every single individual or bitcoin "user" would be normal behavior.

But if you're that sure the majority are against it, why don't you fork it already?
Cause all I see here are 4-5 users bitching on a forum about and 200k ordinals being burned already, so who decided this "majority" and who counts the votes of this so called majority? I hope it's not Stalin!

If you think the majority supports ordinals, why don't you create a poll on this and we'll see who's the majority?  Grin  

I'd gladly fork this crap off immediately but unfortunately I'm not a core dev so all I can do is urge people to act responsibly (rarely works).  Roll Eyes

P.S. And all these 200k ordinals were create by 200k people? Or a dozen of spammers?  Grin
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 7340
Farewell, Leo

That could happen as result of people using Bitcoin to buy coffee
Forget coffees and teas. This could happen if millions joined the network and wanted to open just one lightning channel.
Activity: 882
Merit: 5818
not your keys, not your coins!
LN node must have a btc deposit by the operator. pretty much a fact correct?
LN node makes btc for the operator. pretty much a fact correct?
Those are basically correct, both, but neither contributes or is required for the security of the system. Whereas in PoS, 'deposits' are the only means of security for the system.
Lightning's security is fully based on the blockchain, which in turn is fully secured by PoW.
legendary
What does "partial PoW" even mean?
I guess it means that LN nodes usually are rewarded without any kind of mining. That means, if you put all coins into LN, then those LN nodes will get all fees that could otherwise be paid to the Proof of Work miners.
The issue with such statements is that routing fees or amount locked up in channels have no significance in the security of Lightning, whereas this is the basis of PoS coins. Totally different things.
If you earn yield when loaning (any type of) money, that doesn't make that currency PoS and reliant on staking for security, either. Bitcoin's and Lightning's security is and always will be based on proof of work, no matter if you use your BTC to provide someone a service they are willing to pay you for.

Bitcoin would not be a reliable payment method because you may never get your payment through.
That could happen as result of people using Bitcoin to buy coffee, not just using NFTs, the blocksize is too small, and takes 10 mins on average to process, any medium sized country using BTC for daily payments will cause the thing you worry about, why assume that only NFT will cause this? By the way nonce when I say "you" I do not refer to you as a single person, just a general statement.
That's why I advocate for reducing blockchain load for small transactions e.g. by moving them off-chain, where they have virtually the same security, while keeping the blockchain pretty cheap and easy to host and sync, which is paramount for decentralization.
I am not sure myself how much volume we can handle with a combination of Lightning & on-chain at the current block size, but I heavily advocate for keeping it as low as possible for as long as possible. Ordinals goes completely against this by effectively reducing the block space we can effectively use for transactions.

LN node must have a btc deposit by the operator. pretty much a fact correct?

LN node makes btc for the operator. pretty much a fact correct?

While the foundation to the LN node is the mining go the blockchain it is a pos hybrid = do you agree to that?

n0nce it may be a fine nuance to say LN is based on mining I agree it is but it is also based on staking because you must leave btc in it to work.

I run a full blockchain node and it has 0 btc in it. It is a pure based  mining node. LN is not.

Back to the real issue scaling an algo and having enough miners to protect the algo means enough rewards for the miners to keep interest.  Will NFT's do the Job Will ordinals do the job I don't know. And would they have the staying power to keep doing it for years or decades I don't know. I do suspect that it they stick around  they would be a saturated product and not a lasting in demand product.

That is the best argument for not having them at all.
I guess it means that LN nodes usually are rewarded without any kind of mining. That means, if you put all coins into LN, then those LN nodes will get all fees that could otherwise be paid to the Proof of Work miners.
The issue with such statements is that routing fees or amount locked up in channels have no significance in the security of Lightning, whereas this is the basis of PoS coins. Totally different things.
If you earn yield when loaning (any type of) money, that doesn't make that currency PoS and reliant on staking for security, either. Bitcoin's and Lightning's security is and always will be based on proof of work, no matter if you use your BTC to provide someone a service they are willing to pay you for.

Bitcoin would not be a reliable payment method because you may never get your payment through.
That could happen as result of people using Bitcoin to buy coffee, not just using NFTs, the blocksize is too small, and takes 10 mins on average to process, any medium sized country using BTC for daily payments will cause the thing you worry about, why assume that only NFT will cause this? By the way nonce when I say "you" I do not refer to you as a single person, just a general statement.
That's why I advocate for reducing blockchain load for small transactions e.g. by moving them off-chain, where they have virtually the same security, while keeping the blockchain pretty cheap and easy to host and sync, which is paramount for decentralization.
legendary

i really don't care what the bitcoin "price" is. but i do care how much transaction fees cost in real us dollars. $200 would mean bitcoin is broken. good luck with convincing anyone to use it even if bitcoin was worth 1 billion.

If BTC is worth 200k and fees are at 200$ it simply means that more people are actually using it, there is no need to convince anyone at that point, you need to keep in mind that the 200$ is set by users not by miners, if enough folks pay 200$ fees will be 200$, if they think it is worth it, they will keep paying it, nobody could care less about how sad anyone else for not being able to use the blockchain to pay for their 20$ bill at walmart. If anything, higher fees simply mean people with more value are using the network, does not matter who and for what purpose.
Activity: 789
Merit: 1909
I already asked, but got no answer, maybe you got one now; the gist was: Is something usually considered 'okay' because it is technically possible or because people established and agreed on what is 'okay / good' and what is not?
Simple, killing people is "technically possible", but is not "okay". The same with stealing, and any other kind of malicious behaviour. Even if something is "physically possible to do", it doesn't make it "okay" automatically. Here, the difference is that "physically possible" is determined by consensus rules, so it is like reaching consensus about the correct value of the gravity constant, and making sure that picking some wrong value will not lead into transforming everything to a single, huge black hole.

There's a difference between supporting Ordinals and supporting the freedom to choose Ordinals.
Also, there is a difference between supporting on-chain NFTs, and supporting LN NFTs, sidechain NFTs, or any kind of off-chain NFTs, or even no-chain-signature-based NFTs. For me, the wrong thing is not that NFTs exist, it is the technical way of how they are handled. Also, if someone thinks that NFTs are good from mining perspective, then notice that if the content of those NFTs would be stored off-chain, then miners could place more such transactions in the same block (and then there would be no problem with censoring those transactions, because then they would look the same as other, non-NFT transactions).

I believe it's just matter of time before we'll see increase of maximum block size when people realize other scaling solution isn't enough.
I don't think so. Segwit was the latest blocksize increase, and after that, Taproot didn't touch those limits (and I don't think any new soft-fork ever will, quite the opposite: since NFTs, I rather expect stricter rules and limiting the block size). Increasing the maximum block size will affect Initial Block Download. Now, one week is not enough to download and validate the whole chain, using a well-connected server with static IP, running 24/7. Any block size increase will make it worse. Imagine that new node operators will have to wait a month or longer to synchronize with the network, even if they want to use pruning. And note that the only way to truly check if some node has all blocks or not, is to download all of them, because it is possible to use non-official client with custom pruning settings, that will store blocks, based on the number of times someone requested it.

I guess it means that LN nodes usually are rewarded without any kind of mining. That means, if you put all coins into LN, then those LN nodes will get all fees that could otherwise be paid to the Proof of Work miners. Imagine a lot of LN channels that are never closed, or when they will be settled on-chain very rarely, maybe also with batching, so once per year, you will see a single 100 kvB transaction, that will close a lot of channels (inputs), create a lot of new channels (outputs), and will pay one satoshi per virtual byte, so 0.00100000 BTC. Then, LN nodes could get for example 1 BTC in routing fees, while on-chain Proof of Work miners will get 100k satoshis (or even less, if everything will be even more batched). Also, more extreme cases are possible: for example, a single input with N-of-N Taproot multisig, and a single Taproot output with M-of-M multisig, that transaction type would consume 111 vbytes. Then, compare 111 satoshis as the minimal fee, with 1 BTC of the routing fees that could be collected by LN nodes in a long time.
legendary
the common logic here is that people don't want blocks to be full because they want to be able to transact at close to 0 fee
[...]
This whole idea of "I want transactions to be cheap and blocks to empty so I can transact for cheap whenever I want" is just stupid at best
I would like to make it clear that I don't worry about higher fees; as long as my transaction gets processed eventually. I do worry about congestion / overloading the network. The issue though is that if you get over ~10 tx per second (not sure about the exact number right now) on average for an extended period of time, it is technically impossible to process all transactions. The mountain would never 'clear', i.e. some transactions will be stuck forever.
If more transactions will be added than are mined, I call it 'mempool congestion'. No amount of fee bumping will make Bitcoin process more transactions on average. It can prioritize your transaction, but if everyone set the fee to the same (maximum maybe?) amount, it just becomes a lottery.

i'm sure a fixed block reward has been discussed ad-nauseum in the past though
It has.

but in light of this new nft thing, maybe it need to be revisited.
It may not, in case it was mathematically proven to be a bad idea. I'm not sure about the result of those discussions myself right now, but as someone proposing that idea again, it should be your task to look that up. Tongue

Simply use encryption and no one can say you are printing porn or state secrets.
I may agree with storing encrypted data, that's a different story from a legal & moral standpoint. But NFT people aren't interested in that since then nobody would be able to see the JPEGs besides them.

and LN that reduces fees and makes btc a partial POW. Okay
There seems to be a misunderstanding about Lightning here. Want to discuss it elsewhere (since off-topic) or do you know that this statement was wrong?

hidden nft with an encrypted code could make them more valued not less.

As to long term effect of second layer LN to actual blockchain fees.
And turning btc into a POW+POS coin you are correct it is a bit off topic.

My fear for btc is scrypt algo and merged LTC/Doge mining being the superior algo for mining in the long run.

I see BTC as broken but not today more like 2056.

The visible path for the sha256 algo and the visible path for the scrypt algo looks better for scrypt.

Maybe it is why some are pushing NFT+ordinals as a fix.
To me, from what I see and based on my own judgment, the majority of BTC users want to see it grow in value more than anything else, I know if I ask 10 BTC hodlers if they want to BTC at 200k vs no NFT, they will pick 200k BTC,  BTC at 200k or no Segwit,  they will pick 200k BTC,  BTC at 200k and transaction fees at 200$ or free transactions and BTC at 20k, they will again chose the same 200k BTC.
i really don't care what the bitcoin "price" is. but i do care how much transaction fees cost in real us dollars. $200 would mean bitcoin is broken. good luck with convincing anyone to use it even if bitcoin was worth 1 billion. if higher bitcoin price means higher transaction fees then something is wrong with bitcoin and something else will step in and replace it. maybe it already has. and we just don't know about it yet.

I also think most people who are in BTC don't even know wether they are using a legacy or segwit address, they don't even know how to google/check mempool status or estimate fees, they don't know what full node is, what miners actually do, they probably don't even know what is block size and why sometimes they pay 2$ to send BTC when their friend sent the same amount paying only 50 cents.
ideally they shouldn't have to know any of that to avoid being taken advantage of by the network though.

A change to the protocol that would block Oridnlas is going to be somehow big, you will have a very difficult time trying to convince the above list to do it, unless, strong evidence is presented that shows how Ordinals are going to affect BTC's value negatively, things like "oh, this is not what Satoshi wanted, it's useless data on the blockchain" won't cut it.
but i don't think satoshi would have wanted jpeg monkeys taking up space that was really meant for transactions, real transactions like buying a cup of coffee. you can argue they should be using lightning network but i disagree. i don't trust layer 2 networks. i want my transactions on layer 1. so LN is out.
the common logic here is that people don't want blocks to be full because they want to be able to transact at close to 0 fee
[...]
This whole idea of "I want transactions to be cheap and blocks to empty so I can transact for cheap whenever I want" is just stupid at best
I would like to make it clear that I don't worry about higher fees; as long as my transaction gets processed eventually. I do worry about congestion / overloading the network. The issue though is that if you get over ~10 tx per second (not sure about the exact number right now) on average for an extended period of time, it is technically impossible to process all transactions. The mountain would never 'clear', i.e. some transactions will be stuck forever.
If more transactions will be added than are mined, I call it 'mempool congestion'. No amount of fee bumping will make Bitcoin process more transactions on average. It can prioritize your transaction, but if everyone set the fee to the same (maximum maybe?) amount, it just becomes a lottery.

i'm sure a fixed block reward has been discussed ad-nauseum in the past though
It has.

but in light of this new nft thing, maybe it need to be revisited.
It may not, in case it was mathematically proven to be a bad idea. I'm not sure about the result of those discussions myself right now, but as someone proposing that idea again, it should be your task to look that up. Tongue

Simply use encryption and no one can say you are printing porn or state secrets.
I may agree with storing encrypted data, that's a different story from a legal & moral standpoint. But NFT people aren't interested in that since then nobody would be able to see the JPEGs besides them.

and LN that reduces fees and makes btc a partial POW. Okay
There seems to be a misunderstanding about Lightning here. Want to discuss it elsewhere (since off-topic) or do you know that this statement was wrong?
Pages:
Jump to: