Pages:
Author

Topic: NGC formally announces 250 Brass Cass Coins being Auctioned w/ Heritage Soon - page 3. (Read 2204 times)

copper member
Activity: 531
Merit: 212
Do we know how many sold to bidders and at what prices?
copper member
Activity: 462
Merit: 40
That would make sense being that a lot of the 0.5 Cas coins were stuck at $14,825, coin after coin after coin said that was it sale price. Part of me thought it was the auction house protecting itself from a loss and looks like that is the case, so it was not a true “no reserve” auction as represented. I had a feeling that the money was going to get soft at the end and it looks like it did, so basically all my calculations that I did last night and posted here are completely incorrect. But it was still fun auction. Smiley
donator
Activity: 3024
Merit: 1105
Did all the coins sell out?

Some were bought in and I've agreed to take most of those back from Heritage, plus a very large cash lump sum, rather than insist on the original guaranteed spot price for them all, not sure ATM quite how many as there may well be some after sales to add as well.
Activity: 440
Merit: 41
Holder of last resort
Did all the coins sell out?
copper member
you forgot to add in the cut they AH takes or is your initial number after their cut? you said gross so I am assuming its not in the calculation. need the net total.

and you forgot to count all the forks. how much that is - not sure, but would have increased the peeling value - that and then selling the peeled coins on the side.

My guess is peeling them would have been more profitable. Also having Bitcoin vs shitcoin fiat

All good points.  Ty Smiley
copper member
I'm waiting to hear from Heritage a few more details on the sale, they didn't charge me any seller's premium, or fees, at all BTW.

The price when I consigned them on the 18th July 2023 was about $30,000/BTC, so the price moved over 20% up from then.

https://tinyurl.com/yn4nk92g

The five dominant forked coins (BCH, BSV, XEC, BTG & BCD) were at $336.86/BTC the day before the sale, so $67,372 in total for the 200 BTC.

Yep, rsincognito, many thanks, these are some of the original online auctions where I bought some of these:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=175969.0;all

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=175972.0;all

2013 03 17 Purchased 3 rolls of 50 x 1 btc Casascius series 2, windowed = 150 x 1 BTC @ 1.0487 btc = $49.81 ($50.60 my cost each incl. p/p) <--- I kept all 3 rolls vacuum sealed together. These have now been NGC graded & auctioned with Heritage 2023 11 03, plus 2 rolls of 0.5 BTC, total 200 BTC.

https://tinyurl.com/ym3f2bxc

These old links showing the original sales of the Cas coins is so Amazing to look at , crazy if we could go back in time with the knowledge we know now.  This makes me Love Bitcoin even more after seeing all this.   Thank you Otoh Smiley
donator
I'm waiting to hear from Heritage a few more details on the sale, they didn't charge me any seller's premium, or fees, at all BTW.

The price when I consigned them on the 18th July 2023 was about $30,000/BTC, so it moved over 20% up from then.

https://tinyurl.com/yn4nk92g

The five dominant forked coins (BCH, BSV, XEC, BTG & BCD) were at $336.86/BTC the day before the sale, so $67,372 in total for the 200 BTC.

Yep, rsincognito, many thanks, these are the original online auctions where I bought some of these:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=175969.0;all

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=175972.0;all

2013 03 17 Purchased 3 rolls of 50 x 1 btc Casascius series 2, windowed = 150 x 1 BTC @ 1.0487 btc = $49.81 ($50.60 my cost each incl. p/p) <--- I kept all 3 rolls vacuum sealed together. These have now been NGC graded & auctioned with Heritage 2023 11 03, plus 2 rolls of 0.5 BTC, total 200 BTC.

https://tinyurl.com/ym3f2bxc
legendary
Activity: 2072
Merit: 2224
EIN: 82-3893490
you forgot to add in the cut they AH takes or is your initial number after their cut? you said gross so I am assuming its not in the calculation. need the net total.

and you forgot to count all the forks. how much that is - not sure, but would have increased the peeling value - that and then selling the peeled coins on the side.

My guess is peeling them would have been more profitable. Also having Bitcoin vs shitcoin fiat
copper member
Gross total sales of the Heritage auction was $7,198,200.00 divided by 200 bitcoin listed in the auction made the average sale price per physical  bitcoin $35,911.  

At the auctions current run time bitcoin spot price was right around  $34,600.

Average sale price per coin $35,911 minus spot price is $34,600 = $1,391 premium profit per bitcoin

$1,391 X 200 bitcoin = $278,200 total premium profit .

So the legendary Otoh made an extra $278k profit by selling his coins instead of peeling them

So what did he teach us?    “PEELING IS A SIN!”   Lol

At the end of the day the average cost per “Cas” coin loaded back in 2013 was probably $100 bucks.  
$100 X 200 bitcoin = $20,000.

Otoh was promised spot price on his coins so 200 bitcoin X spot price of $34,600 = $6,920,000

Otoh’s total profit for holding a $20k investment for 10 years was $6,900,000.

I got four words for you Otoh …..  “Bravo my friend, Bravo”

You deserve it,  Crongrats to A Legendary HODL’r.  Wink
donator
YVW!

I noticed that some posters were asking if people could pay in bitcoins for this auction, and the answer is yes sure they can, so long as they register ahead of time if they are new customers.

(Correct me if I’m wrong), from what I understand they’re using BitPay to take payments and transactions. If you plan on bidding and plan to pay with crypto you should register with BitPay and get verified ahead of time so you can pay for your items in the suggestion timeframe that the auction house requires.

I'm sure that you're right, I'll just check this with them to make sure and will report back when I hear, tomorrow probably..
copper member
YVW!

I noticed that some posters were asking if people could pay in bitcoins for this auction, and the answer is yes sure they can, so long as they register ahead of time if they are new customers.

(Correct me if I’m wrong), from what I understand they’re using BitPay to take payments and transactions. If you plan on bidding and plan to pay with crypto you should register with BitPay and get verified ahead of time so you can pay for your items in the suggestion timeframe that the auction house requires.
donator
YVW!

Holder of last resort
Bitcoin will be at $35,000 very soon, it's a beach ball being held under water ready to pop.

I can feel it in my bones. The bull is officially here.

Very good call!

Thank you sir! I really did feel it.

Onwards and upwards.
donator
Bitcoin will be at $35,000 very soon, it's a beach ball being held under water ready to pop.

Very good call!
Holder of last resort

copper member
Activity: 531
Merit: 212
Otoh, hope you’re well and glad you’re still hodling the 1MM Doge — that is such a special coin. Best of luck on the auction. You sure have the right mindset. Appreciate you releasing these beautiful coins into the wild!

All the best,
Blu
copper member
I was thinking the same exact thing this morning lol, (I was doing the math) I will be watching the auction, I hope it goes great! 🙂
donator
This post has aged pretty surprisingly well, so far at least, considering that not so many would have thought we'd be up around here just one week later I imagine.

https://tinyurl.com/yur47w5z

Yep...this auction is one for the ages for sure!  Does anyone know if there are any reserves for these coins?

I haven't placed any reserves on the coins personally, but I have been guaranteed by Heritage the overall bitcoin spot value for the collection as a whole, if say the spot price was $30,000/BTC on the 3rd of November, then I would get a minimum of $30,000 x 200 = $6M, which as I understand it some could then sell for under spot perhaps and some for a premium, though I'm not sure on this, as it's totally up to Heritage if the want to post a reserve on the coins or not, I guess it's best to either wait and see if they do that, or to contact them directly to find out what their intentions may be if they are willing to share, or have even decided upon it yet.

Maybe they're happy to buy in any coins if they don't reach the spot price, to hodl themselves, or even to peel if they didn't want to do that (but that could be controversial I'd imagine, so hopefully not), there's also about $200/BTC (I think) in forked coins which add value over the BTC spot price.  Edit: looks like $335/BTC ATM for the forks 23/10/23.

So it's a bit like selling say gold bullion collectables, unlikely to go for under the melt (peel) price on the day, and more likely to merit a premium for their rarity, desirability and future growth potential, but it will all depend upon demand, plus probably many outside factors, it should be good price discovery in any case and entertaining to watch, especially in what happens to their value in the subsequent few years, and over their next decade of existence.

Activity: 718
Merit: 252
Yeah again +1 for you Otoh. Nice to see a man with a big vision now and then! Excited!

Greets Tank
Pages:
Jump to: