Pages:
Author

Topic: NiceHash hacked? - page 17. (Read 32040 times)

Activity: 280
Merit: 100
December 06, 2017, 07:13:19 PM
Once this stuff starts moving you need to be extra careful on sales here or localbitcoins.
Some "very good" rates people got offered here on bitcointalk were in fact dirty btc.
Activity: 538
Merit: 251
ASK
December 06, 2017, 07:02:42 PM

So this was most likely planned out to coincide with the payout?

Without doubt. I'm surprised they didn't squeeze another 20 hours of mining profits Wink I guess once you are over $50m it's all the same...

That's a common misconception, but a few million here, a few million there, pretty soon you're talking about real money.  Tongue  This is why use the jaws of life to get the last bit of toothpaste out of the tube.

There was an attack on bcc that hurt the scrypt profit-switching pools just a day before this.  I'm really not sure this heist was all about the money, or at least, not just this particular pile of money.  The perps may be playing a much bigger game.

Such as?

The people who suffered in both cases were mining altcoins, and were out on the fringes of profit switching among the lesser known, less secure alts (bcc, for example).  Taking out some alts on the periphery might increasingly scare speculative dollars to more established currencies, not just bitcoin, but the most familiar, strongest cryptos.  Two attacks wouldn't accomplish that, so I'm just spit-balling unless there are more attacks, but if they profit from each attack with the foreknowledge of what will go down as well as the wallet proceeds, they can drive bigger and bigger attacks as they go and knock down targets like dominos.

If you were going to attack the entire system rather than just promote your corner of it, eventually all the way to attacking bitcoin itself, that wouldn't be a bad way to start.  Alts are almost an overflow for BTC.  Take that away and profit in the process, and you've got a softer final target and more resources to hit it with.

This is a worry inducing comment to say the least.
Activity: 112
Merit: 11
December 06, 2017, 06:59:52 PM

Without doubt. I'm surprised they didn't squeeze another 20 hours of mining profits Wink I guess once you are over $50m it's all the same...

That's a common misconception, but a few million here, a few million there, pretty soon you're talking about real money.  Tongue  This is why use the jaws of life to get the last bit of toothpaste out of the tube.

There was an attack on bcc that hurt the scrypt profit-switching pools just a day before this.  I'm really not sure this heist was all about the money, or at least, not just this particular pile of money.  The perps may be playing a much bigger game.

Such as?

The people who suffered in both cases were mining altcoins, and were out on the fringes of profit switching among the lesser known, less secure alts (bcc, for example).  Taking out some alts on the periphery might increasingly scare speculative dollars to more established currencies, not just bitcoin, but the most familiar, strongest cryptos.  Two attacks wouldn't accomplish that, so I'm just spit-balling unless there are more attacks, but if they profit from each attack with the foreknowledge of what will go down as well as the wallet proceeds, they can drive bigger and bigger attacks as they go and knock down targets like dominos.

If you were going to attack the entire system rather than just promote your corner of it, eventually all the way to attacking bitcoin itself, that wouldn't be a bad way to start.  Alts are almost an overflow for BTC.  Take that away and profit in the process, and you've got a softer final target and more resources to hit it with.
Activity: 238
December 06, 2017, 06:59:09 PM
I feel sorry for those who got their btc stolen. Damn hackers!

The only people who got BTC stolen is Nicehash - none of the Nicehash customer wallets hold any BTC, just an IOU from Nicehash promising to pay you.

Having said that, I doubt Nicehash will be ponying up anytime soon ...

I was owed about $300, how about you?
Merit: 10
December 06, 2017, 06:56:09 PM
Yes, it was hacked
Activity: 420
Merit: 110
December 06, 2017, 06:55:40 PM
I ain't really sure what they plan to do with them, everyone knows where they are and are watching. The FBI can trace bitcoin transactions now so it's dead money.

Yup. It's not like they can take the btc to an exchange and cash it out for USD or EUR... That wallet is now blacklisted, and I don't see it going anywhere...

Im sure it probably got exchanged for a privacy based coin and laundered already.  That shit is gone.

You would have seen the outgoing transaction on the blockchain. 0 spent out of it.

https://bitinfocharts.com/bitcoin/address/1EnJHhq8Jq8vDuZA5ahVh6H4t6jh1mB4rq

That's the thing about btc... there is no name associated to it, but you can track it's whereabouts.
So you think that a person or persons smart enough to pull this heist off is just winging it and had "no plan" to liquidate the haul??? How do you know that it's not internal? It's likely that this hack is a new method. I tend to believe that a group that knows how to clean out an entire Company's coiffures has a very viable plan to spend those proceeds. Unless.....they were fast enough to lock down the address before a transfer. That's doubtful.
Activity: 23
Merit: 0
December 06, 2017, 06:53:23 PM
There is only one good thing from these lesson - another pools like Nicehash will improve their security.
Activity: 362
Merit: 250
December 06, 2017, 06:50:25 PM
And now? Just sit and wait what will happen? If the BTC is locked, the btc price should go uuup in the sky right? Cheesy
Activity: 420
December 06, 2017, 06:49:05 PM
I ain't really sure what they plan to do with them, everyone knows where they are and are watching. The FBI can trace bitcoin transactions now so it's dead money.
I'm gonna venture a guess that anyone savvy enough to clip $59m like this has a plan to disperse and liquidate the Crypto through anonymous and untraceable channels. You can track BTC transactions but NOT identities. I'm positive it's much easier than washing fiat. 
Activity: 89
December 06, 2017, 06:45:45 PM
I feel sorry for those who got their btc stolen. Damn hackers!
Activity: 94
December 06, 2017, 06:44:45 PM

Such as?
Activity: 350
Merit: 13
December 06, 2017, 06:44:31 PM

Yup. It's not like they can take the btc to an exchange and cash it out for USD or EUR... That wallet is now blacklisted, and I don't see it going anywhere...

Im sure it probably got exchanged for a privacy based coin and laundered already.  That shit is gone.

You would have seen the outgoing transaction on the blockchain. 0 spent out of it.

That's the thing about btc... there is no name associated to it, but you can track it's whereabouts.

The perpetrator(s) are probably gonna let the BTC sit for a few days/weeks to celebrate their successful haul.
Then after that, use several mixing services on the darknet, exchange to other privacy cryptocurrencies like Monero, then exchange back, mix it more. And finally all traces and trails are gone.
December 06, 2017, 06:42:37 PM

Activity: 538
Merit: 251
ASK
December 06, 2017, 06:40:00 PM

If they are smart, they'll probably just leave the wallet be for a while until things cool down, and then they will probably mix it.
Activity: 60
December 06, 2017, 06:31:25 PM

December 06, 2017, 06:30:08 PM
Makes me wonder about the future of nicehash. I have a feeling they are going to just shut down soon... I don't see anyone wanting to use their services to buy mining power, which means they won't be able "sell mining power"...

I was making about 2 dollars per day with my 970 and cpu. I would suspect it being more like 50 cents a day now.
Activity: 94
December 06, 2017, 06:29:25 PM

December 06, 2017, 06:23:46 PM

December 06, 2017, 06:19:13 PM
What was the minimun payout?

Low-key was no minimum payout but weekly schedule
bigger players could have daily payouts
users of Nicehash miner could increase frequency of payouts

Something like that. They acted about 24 hours prior to the weekly payout that most miners are on.

I  believe it's .0005 btc as long as you are transferring .01 or less. After, it's %2.

So most people waited until. .01 then transferred. At least that's what I was planning on doing... so I lost about 70 bucks.

It's too much if you directly put it into your wallet. I think it's 4% or something. That's a hefty amount
Activity: 325
December 06, 2017, 06:12:13 PM

Pages:
Jump to: