Pages:
Author

Topic: No bitcoin in Iran - page 3. (Read 8714 times)

Activity: 135
Merit: 100
August 16, 2011, 05:17:37 AM
Wait a minute, is not SHA-256 algorithm property of the US Government?

Then soliciting to send bitcoins to Iran would be a violation of the embargo US imposes to that country.

The discussion about distributing software purse is thus purely academical.

Activity: 427
Merit: 250
August 16, 2011, 04:37:04 AM
many sites block Iranian requests including the sourceforge downloads for the client, google code for the source etc.
I don`t think it is websites` policies, it is likely due to restrictions of datacenters or Iranian government itself. Otherwise it is just stupid. Good practice will be using Tor (with bridges, as public Tor nodes are blocked in Iran as I know).

Also you don`t need mirrors to be trustworthy - just verify signature or hash-sum, that`s all you need.
Activity: 938
Merit: 1002
August 16, 2011, 03:50:45 AM
How about Bittorrent? Signed packages, including the source code and blockchain can be easily distributed that way. Though, I guess if there is a way to mind people to check the signatures, I suppose it could be distributed using any other channel as well... Bitcoin Bittorrent is especially useful since the blockchain is getting rather big.
Activity: 93
Merit: 11
August 16, 2011, 03:26:35 AM
Could you please add trustworthy mirrors for Iran, Cuba, etc. or just straight stop using pages that block the spreading of FOSS to such countries??

I don't think you'll find "trustworthy" links, since SourceForge probably are prohibited by some kind of laws from doing that. If it isn't from SourceForge, then I wouldn't call it trustworthy.

Another option could be for someone trustworthy (such as Gavin) to host such files and post links here, but I would not expect him to risk getting angry calls from the authorities for this.

There are known ways to become anonymous on the net. I bet you can find solutions if you look a bit more.
legendary
Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105
WalletScrutiny.com
August 16, 2011, 02:44:07 AM
Hi

I'm traveling in Iran at the moment and there is a good reason for using bitcoin here:
Due to embargo there is no international credit card you could use in Iran. Business men told me that their transaction costs are 8% when dealing with the USA as they have to send the money via Dubai.

Unfortunately using bitcoin is not possible for several reasons:
"High speed internet" is available to every Iranian in cities. Unfortunately high speed internet is limited to 128kb/s wich is a problem when downloading the block chain.
The bigger problem arises from the embargo though: many sites block Iranian requests including the sourceforge downloads for the client, google code for the source etc.
I could not find a link to download the bitcoin client here. Could you please add trustworthy mirrors for Iran, Cuba, etc. or just straight stop using pages that block the spreading of FOSS to such countries??

Regards,

giszmo
Pages:
Jump to: