Pages:
Author

Topic: (Not) Hacked and can not recover (solved) - page 3. (Read 4394 times)

Activity: 546
Merit: 500
September 24, 2012, 01:54:36 PM
I don't understand the problem. This is standard behaviour. Your bitcoin adress will change after a successful transactions. Go look in your adress book. The old one should be in there.

If the bitcoin client can't see your coins due to the de- and installation, start bitcoint-qt again with the -rescan option. Your coins should then be in there again.

EDIT: Wait, you completely deleted your bitcoin folder? The program folder or the one in the user directory? Because if it's the later, you just shot yourself in the foot real bad.

No I didnt. There was nothing or little in the wallet to begin with. Yes, I deleted the whole Bitcoin folder (programs/Bitcoin) two times. The same unwanted address somehow gets downloaded when I get the Bitcoin program off the web (brand new).

How in the haybale am I supposed to use the wallet (especially to receive money) if  the address is changing all the time? Why does the other computer not change its BTC address and it has plenty of transactions on it?

Activity: 952
Merit: 1009
September 24, 2012, 01:46:51 PM
I don't understand the problem. This is standard behaviour. Your bitcoin adress will change after a successful transactions. Go look in your adress book. The old one should be in there.

If the bitcoin client can't see your coins due to the de- and installation, start bitcoint-qt again with the -rescan option. Your coins should then be in there again.

EDIT: Wait, you completely deleted your bitcoin folder? The program folder or the one in the user directory? Because if it's the later, you just shot yourself in the foot real bad.
September 24, 2012, 01:42:46 PM
The file that holds your bitcoin addresses does not get removed when you remove the software. This is for your own protection.

Redownloading the software won't change the address because it's still reading from the same file: wallet.dat.

Why do you think you were "hacked" ? Have you turned on wallet encryption?

The address was changed. I did not change it.

I removed the whole bitcoin folder twice. If what you are saying is true, how did the address get changed?
September 24, 2012, 01:40:37 PM
Wow I feel for you. Hopefully it all ends happily for you and it gets sorted out.

Thanks, not much was lost.
legendary
Activity: 1540
Merit: 1029
September 24, 2012, 01:39:15 PM
Wow I feel for you. Hopefully it all ends happily for you and it gets sorted out.
September 24, 2012, 01:34:20 PM
Take a step back for a moment, I have no idea what you're trying to say.

It would be good to list a sequence of events that lead you to this problem so people can help understand and possibly correct your problem.

The address in my wallet was changed. I did not change it. Then...

That is when I deleted the Bitcoin software, and downloaded new bitcoin software again from the link at (http://bitcoin.org/) all I got was the same address.... two times.

I deleted Bitcoin completely off my computer and downloaded the Bitcoin client twice and still ended up with the wrong address inside the wallet.

Activity: 868
Merit: 1002
September 24, 2012, 01:30:32 PM
The file that holds your bitcoin addresses does not get removed when you remove the software. This is for your own protection.

Redownloading the software won't change the address because it's still reading from the same file: wallet.dat.

Why do you think you were "hacked" ? Have you turned on wallet encryption?

Activity: 452
Merit: 250
September 24, 2012, 01:28:21 PM
Take a step back for a moment, I have no idea what you're trying to say.

It would be good to list a sequence of events that lead you to this problem so people can help understand and possibly correct your problem.
September 24, 2012, 01:25:35 PM
The BTC address was changed in my wallet yesterday. It came after a failed transaction in an exchange.

There was just a little money in there, that is not the worrry. The worry is that I have uninstalled and deleted the Bitcoin program twice. I even restored the computer back about four days before this event.

Guess what happens? Both new downloads of the Bitcoin program produced the same Bitcoin address.

It is the same address that it was changed to when the money was stolen. I can not download a different address.

This is a Vista laptop, so if anyone knows how I can get the guy out of my computer and get my own BTC address, please let me know.
Pages:
Jump to: