Pages:
Author

Topic: Nxt source code flaw reports - page 51. (Read 113359 times)

Activity: 238
Merit: 100
January 04, 2014, 12:38:07 PM
So my understanding of unconfirmedBalance was wrong, so why the unconfirmedBalance is equal to the balance and effective balance from the API I just got from my account?

If u sent a transaction ur unconfirmed balance would become lower.

I checked several accounts and they all showed that unconfirmedBalance equal to the balance. Is unconfirmed balance always the same as the balance? Of course, as the balance decreases, the unconfirmed balance become lower. Is it possible that unconfirmed balance is lower than the balance?

BTW, from my experience, I found that Nxt terminologies are not so straight, and are usually opposite from the general understanding.

"unconfirmedBalance" seems to be the code internal variable and parameter for some important functions, and it may be not so important for the average joe, so is it necessary to list out in the API for the end user? Another example is the "token" concept. It's introduced for web application and the user need to fill in the website. So I'm not interested in it at the early stage a month ago. Later on, I wondered whether I can sign a message in Nxt system. Of course, in the end I leaned "token" is just the same as bitcoin message signing, but Nxt changed its terminology.

legendary
Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009
January 04, 2014, 12:36:54 PM
Should be "short hostLength"?

No. int works faster.
Activity: 50
Merit: 0
January 04, 2014, 12:36:13 PM
Line 2414:

Code:
int hostLength = buffer.getShort();

Should be "short hostLength"?
legendary
January 04, 2014, 12:35:17 PM
Good catch. Looks like this trick will work if u r the only one who uses this strategy. Will freezing recently moved coins for 1440 blocks solve the issue?
Maybe this is the reason why in Novacoin inputs that generates PoS block became frozen for 3 day?

Maybe
Activity: 784
Merit: 501
January 04, 2014, 12:31:23 PM
Good catch. Looks like this trick will work if u r the only one who uses this strategy. Will freezing recently moved coins for 1440 blocks solve the issue?
Maybe this is the reason why in Novacoin inputs that generates PoS block became frozen for 3 day?
legendary
January 04, 2014, 12:23:13 PM
So my understanding of unconfirmedBalance was wrong, so why the unconfirmedBalance is equal to the balance and effective balance from the API I just got from my account?

If u sent a transaction ur unconfirmed balance would become lower.
legendary
January 04, 2014, 12:18:41 PM
Now for the interesting 75% part:
You can calculate in advance, which nonce each of your accounts would have and then choose the best one. So statistically speaking, all your accounts are behaving like accounts with your 0.98% stake in them. And you can freely choose between any of the 100.000 accounts in advance, already knowing the nonce. The chance that one of them has a nonce so good that it's better than all the others is extremely high: If you'd (theoretically speaking) combine all of those 100,000 accounts with 0.98% stake each, you have a stake of 98,000 % (yes, I know, that's more than 100%, but that's the whole point of having the prior knowledge Smiley). So the total stake of the currency for that next block becomes 98,000 % (you) + 99.02 % (others) = 98,099.02 %. Which means, you suddenly own nearly 99.9 % of the stake and have the respective chance of forging that block.

So with that methodology, we have a forging chance of 25%*0.98%+75%*99.9% = 75.17 %.

PS: It's not the injected flaw, but still post ur Nxt account for 10K reward plz.
January 04, 2014, 12:17:52 PM
Sorry, too hard to understand it for me.

If we used balance instead of unconfirmed balance then an adversary could spam a lot of transactions that would never be confirmed and just consumed bandwidth of other peers.

That case is OK. So my understanding of unconfirmedBalance was wrong, so why the unconfirmedBalance is equal to the balance and effective balance from the API I just got from my account?
rlh
Activity: 804
Merit: 1004
January 04, 2014, 12:15:16 PM
So, the fee is constant in USD.  What do you think the fee in USD should be?

Stakeholders decide.

UNTIE THE FEE FROM FIAT!!!

I think it should be done on a curve, starting with a base percentage of the NXT being transferred and curving down in percentage as the transaction amount increases.  As far as the specific curve, I dont know.  I dont like the fee being tied to any specific fiat at all.

Do to this we would have to reserve the very last few decimal places for fees though.

So for example,
And I am by no means proposing use of these particular numbers (I am just using these particular ones for ease of explanation) dividing NXT down to 8 decimal places, the last 3 would only be used for fees, meaning the smallest amount of NXT that can be transferred is to 5 decimal places, or .00001.
So now, to transfer .00001 NXT (which is the smallest amount that could be transferred in this particular scheme) would cost a fee of, lets say 0.005%  So the total transferred in this case would be .00001005 and I would also suggest a curve to be used to decrease the fee as the amount to be transferred is increased.  

This removes all ties to fiat, which I think should be the goal

In theory, this sounds like a good idea but the problem is transactional/account spam.  This makes it easy to buy 10 Nxt and send near 1,000,000 transactions to random accounts.  With a fee that is set at 1 Nxt, you're not going to be able to spam the network for long which is the current setup.

Instead, I recommend an analytical system implemented that monitors the amount and value of daily transactions and then sets a new minimum fee value that changes day-to-day (or on some other period.)  You can do this using some basic statistics AND you can also use statistics to trim odd, edge-cases on the rare days that "whales" move around 10,000,000 coins.

PS- I've been following/working with Microcash for years.  My last post regarding the development of Microcash was on scaling the amount of distributed, new coins that were generated each day.  

I know that this is about fees and not generating currency, but the concept of adjusting system metrics, based off daily transactional statistics is something I've looked at and thought about for a loooooong time.  I think we could do the same type of thing here.
Activity: 56
Merit: 0
January 04, 2014, 12:10:34 PM
You get the fee for that transaction back, since you are forging it yourself. So absolutely no risk in that part.

This is incorrect. If ur block is orphaned then ur transaction will be forged by other account.
Valid point, let's change that part a little:
There is a small chance that you'll loose 100,000 NXT for setting up the small accounts and another 100,000 is bound to those, and of course the 1 NXT for the big transfer. Wink
This reduces your forging chance to ~0.99 %. (~0.98 % for the budget used in attempting the increased forging chance)
And the cost for any further attempt on doing the same is just 1NXT at a small chance.
That doesn't change a lot in the methodology, actually, it's statistically irrelevant.

Now, in 25% of the cases, your NXT will just be in one "random" account, and since you couldn't predict that, your chance of forging the next block remains at 1/100.
But in 75% of the cases, you NXT actually act like 100,000 unique accounts, since you can move it to whichever of your accounts has the best chance to make the block. So actually, you suddenly have 100,000 accounts with each a 1/100 chance, i.e. a pretty much guaranteed block.

In the end, by doing some free transactions and taking no risk, we increased our forging chance from 1% to about 75%... Nice Smiley

Where am I wrong?

Bolded part doesn't look legit. could u paraphrase it?

Ok, let's start with the 25% part:
You transfered NXT into some account. This account has a forging probability of 0.98%. Nothing changes, all is well. (I really don't know, what more I can say for this situation as that one is the trivial one)

Now for the interesting 75% part:
You can calculate in advance, which nonce each of your accounts would have and then choose the best one. So statistically speaking, all your accounts are behaving like accounts with your 0.98% stake in them. And you can freely choose between any of the 100.000 accounts in advance, already knowing the nonce. The chance that one of them has a nonce so good that it's better than all the others is extremely high: If you'd (theoretically speaking) combine all of those 100,000 accounts with 0.98% stake each, you have a stake of 98,000 % (yes, I know, that's more than 100%, but that's the whole point of having the prior knowledge Smiley). So the total stake of the currency for that next block becomes 98,000 % (you) + 99.02 % (others) = 98,099.02 %. Which means, you suddenly own nearly 99.9 % of the stake and have the respective chance of forging that block.

So with that methodology, we have a forging chance of 25%*0.98%+75%*99.9% = 75.17 %.
legendary
January 04, 2014, 12:09:30 PM

If we used balance instead of unconfirmed balance then an adversary could spam a lot of transactions that would never be confirmed and just consumed bandwidth of other peers.
January 04, 2014, 12:07:42 PM
The money to be sent should be compared with the balance, not the unconfirmedBalance. On the other hand, a counter example, I have an account with balance 1000 and unconfirmedBalance 0, and now I want to send 100 with fee 1. Of course 100 + 1 > 0, but I can send it.

We use unconfirmed balance to avoid spamming with double-spending transactions.

legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000
January 04, 2014, 12:02:09 PM
+1

Fiat is irrelevant and prone to lose value over time! Gimme those precious nxt decimals!
January 04, 2014, 12:00:15 PM
So, the fee is constant in USD.  What do you think the fee in USD should be?

Stakeholders decide.

UNTIE THE FEE FROM FIAT!!!

When decimal places come, I think fees should be done on a curve, starting with a base percentage of the NXT being transferred on the smallest amount possible to transfer and curving down in percentage as the transaction amount increases.  As far as the specific curve, I dont know.  I just dont like the fee being tied to any specific fiat at all.

To do this we would have to reserve the very last few decimal places for fees though.

So for example,
And I am by no means proposing use of these particular numbers (I am just using these particular ones for ease of explanation) dividing NXT down to 8 decimal places, the last 3 would only be used for fees, meaning the smallest amount of NXT that can be transferred is to 5 decimal places, or .00001.
So now, to transfer .00001 NXT (which is the smallest amount that could be transferred in this particular scheme) would cost a fee of, lets say 0.005%  So the total transferred in this case would be .00001005 and I would also suggest a curve to be used to decrease the fee as the amount to be transferred is increased. 

legendary
January 04, 2014, 12:00:01 PM
CfB-- I know what you are doing.  This is psychologically manipulative, crowd-sourced, bug hunting at its finest! Wink

Smiley

Edit: No flaws found yet.
rlh
Activity: 804
Merit: 1004
January 04, 2014, 11:57:13 AM
I've tried to follow this full thread this morning but, just in case I missed something, has anyone found any of the lesser flaws?

It looks like this exercise is serving it's purpose.  Injected bugs aside, there's been a fair amount of constructive QA.

CfB-- I know what you are doing.  This is psychologically manipulative, crowd-sourced, bug hunting at its finest! Wink

At first I was quite turned off by the fact that this is a coin written in Java.  However, what Java has provided is for you to be able to bring a 1-page "specification" in the form of easily compilable and executable code.  Also, I think that not providing unit tests is smart, too.  If you have to roll your own testing, you will do it from your unique perspective of how it should be done.

The software will be analyzed on a MUCH more thorough bases if 5-10 advanced developers take their time to hammer the code the way that they uniquely test code.

Kudos devs!  If I find some time this afternoon, there are few operations I want to look at.  They are areas where I, personally, would inject bugs if I were to develop such a public exercise.  (Hint: They would be in the most critical, but theoretical/unproven portions of code because that's where you would want your testers to spend the bulk of their time.)
legendary
January 04, 2014, 11:52:05 AM
I would guess $0.2-0.4 USD because that seems to be the average TX fee for bitcoin over the months.  See https://blockchain.info

Will see. Just have to wait for Voting System launch.
legendary
Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001
January 04, 2014, 11:50:04 AM
Do you have a personal view on what it should be, i.e., a target?

Maybe 1 cent?

I would guess $0.2-0.4 USD because that seems to be the average TX fee for bitcoin over the months.  See https://blockchain.info
legendary
January 04, 2014, 11:46:13 AM
Do you have a personal view on what it should be, i.e., a target?

Maybe 1 cent?
legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000
January 04, 2014, 11:46:00 AM
Pages:
Jump to: