Author

Topic: Obyte: Totally new consensus algorithm + private untraceable payments - page 1117. (Read 1233958 times)

Activity: 581
Merit: 250
I installed Byteball-test-win64.exe on Windows 10 64-bit without error. but when it open, it close right away without error. Could you please help
Thanks

Try deleting the app data: navigate to c:\Users\\AppData\Local and delete byteball-test folder.  Then restart the app.

It's working now: Sync ...
Thanks
legendary
Activity: 2044
Merit: 1055
I've just read the whitepaper and my brain is hurting now!  Cheesy
It also took some brain work to write Smiley

Seems like a great project and I will try to get up to speed with this.
It seems that the whole source code is in javascript and the database used is sqlite, correct?
Correct, it is in javascript (or rather node.js), and for database we have a choice between sqlite and mysql.

The role of the witnesses is interesting. Could you elaborate on the requirements to become one?
Anyone can become a witness, if he is chosen by users.  The users would expect from a witness to waive his anonymity, at a minimum.  Then, among the contenders, users are interested to choose the ones with good reputation, integrity, and long term interest in the health of the network.

Users include the list of their favorite witnesses in every storage unit they post to the network, provided that the list is similar enough to the lists of other users who posted recently.  This last requirement results in near-identity of witness lists posted by different users and slow evolution of an "average" observed witness list.  It also means that any major change to the "average" witness list is impossible without approval of the majority of the present witnesses, one implication of this is that the witness list is immune to sybil attacks.

Thanks.
Another question: there are many app types listed in the whitepaper. I'm wondering how many of them are already available in the current release? How many devs are working on this?
yvv
legendary
Activity: 1344
Merit: 1000
Nice project. Linux client seems to work well, but after clicking some buttons, I feel myself lost. Some user guide on what to do with those blackbytes, devices, bots, seeds etc would be nice to have.
legendary
Activity: 2212
Merit: 1014
sounds good dev! if i understood correctly we will not loose the testnet coin?

You can keep it but testnet coin is worthless by definition.

It is ok dev! i started to test and play around to see if any bug or strange thing come on! So, i will keep with my test for the community!
Activity: 446
This looks solid AF. Still reading through some things but I like what I'm seeing. Distribution is cool also. Gonna get back into the info and keep an eye out here
legendary
Activity: 964
Merit: 1008
I installed Byteball-test-win64.exe on Windows 10 64-bit without error. but when it open, it close right away without error. Could you please help
Thanks

Try deleting the app data: navigate to c:\Users\\AppData\Local and delete byteball-test folder.  Then restart the app.
legendary
Actually, I don't see mic on the list of requested permissions.

I do Smiley. I have two lines in requested permissions:
- Photos/Media/Files
- Camera/Microphone

I checked both on my phone and on the GP web page https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.byteball.wallet, neither lists the mic.  I'm guessing you see some broad groups of permissions rather than individual ones.

The app is based in Cordova, and some Cordova plugins request permissions that are not actually used by the app.
Of this list, we use only camera to scan QR codes, you can verify that by the source code.

I don't know much about Cordova or Android apps. I checked the code and found some lines that may mean that camera and flashlight are used and found code about scanning QR codes ... Anywhere to look specifically?
If you found this line https://github.com/byteball/byteball/blob/e1e29620587d4a8744777af3e713c53940e1773a/src/js/directives/qrScanner.js#L13, this where we call the cordova plugin that works with the camera.

There are services that automatically extract apk from google play, you can google for them.

I didn't kown about these services. Thx for pointing that out. I searched for them and found (just) two services:
- https://apps.evozi.com/apk-downloader which gives me an error when I try to use it:
But remember that you'll have to update manually each time we release a new version.

Yep, I'm willing to go through that trouble Smiley.

Thank you.

I googled for "byteball apk" and "google play apk" and found a few.  Not sure how trustworthy they are, and some list the old version that was replaced yesterday.

Just curious, what are you so averse of google play?

Activity: 581
Thanks
legendary
Much clearer. Got it.

So, a user can actually send a private txn where the payload and spend proof are gibberish. This would still get in the database, but would be useless as noone would accept it.

He can, although I don't see why he would want to do it.

What stops anyone posting a private txn with the unique spend proof of 'some' address, just to block the real owner from spending ?

Since noone will know what is actually in the payload, they can't distinguish the two, and if the fake is closer to the MC at lower block, those funds would be considered spent ?

The attack won't work because duplicate spend proofs must be also signed by the same user.  If the same spend proof is signed by somebody else, it is not a double-spend.
Merit: 656

I do Smiley. I have two lines in requested permissions:
- Photos/Media/Files
- Camera/Microphone

The app is based in Cordova, and some Cordova plugins request permissions that are not actually used by the app.
Of this list, we use only camera to scan QR codes, you can verify that by the source code.

I don't know much about Cordova or Android apps. I checked the code and found some lines that may mean that camera and flashlight are used and found code about scanning QR codes ... Anywhere to look specifically?

There are services that automatically extract apk from google play, you can google for them.

I didn't kown about these services. Thx for pointing that out. I searched for them and found (just) two services:
- https://apps.evozi.com/apk-downloader which gives me an error when I try to use it:
But remember that you'll have to update manually each time we release a new version.

Yep, I'm willing to go through that trouble Smiley.

Thank you.
Activity: 718
Merit: 545
Much clearer. Got it.

So, a user can actually send a private txn where the payload and spend proof are gibberish. This would still get in the database, but would be useless as noone would accept it.

What stops anyone posting a private txn with the unique spend proof of 'some' address, just to block the real owner from spending ?

Since noone will know what is actually in the payload, they can't distinguish the two, and if the fake is closer to the MC at lower block, those funds would be considered spent ?

legendary
It also took some brain work to write Smiley

It seems that the whole source code is in javascript and the database used is sqlite, correct?
Correct, it is in javascript (or rather node.js), and for database we have a choice between sqlite and mysql.

The role of the witnesses is interesting. Could you elaborate on the requirements to become one?
Anyone can become a witness, if he is chosen by users.  The users would expect from a witness to waive his anonymity, at a minimum.  Then, among the contenders, users are interested to choose the ones with good reputation, integrity, and long term interest in the health of the network.

Users include the list of their favorite witnesses in every storage unit they post to the network, provided that the list is similar enough to the lists of other users who posted recently.  This last requirement results in near-identity of witness lists posted by different users and slow evolution of an "average" observed witness list.  It also means that any major change to the "average" witness list is impossible without approval of the majority of the present witnesses, one implication of this is that the witness list is immune to sybil attacks.
legendary
Activity: 2044
Merit: 1055

legendary
Much clearer. Got it.

legendary
I am trying to install the Android app and was wondering why it needed access to Photos/Media/Files and Camera/Microphone.

Also, would it be possible to provide an apk file (for those of us who do not (like to) use google play)?

There are services that automatically extract apk from google play, you can google for them.  But remember that you'll have to update manually each time we release a new version.
Activity: 340
Merit: 111
Much clearer. Got it.

i agree with your
Activity: 718
Merit: 545
Much clearer. Got it.

Merit: 656
Hi,

I am trying to install the Android app and was wondering why it needed access to Photos/Media/Files and Camera/Microphone.

Also, would it be possible to provide an apk file (for those of us who do not (like to) use google play)?

Than you.
legendary
I'll try to explain it this way, not exactly accurate, but simplified for ease of understanding of the concept.

A regular transaction is just a collection of inputs (coins spent) and outputs (coins produced):

Code:
payload: {
  inputs: [...],
  outputs: [...]
}

All of that is public, and everybody sees who spent what and to whom.  Also, everybody can validate the transaction.

Now, Alice and Bod don't want to show their transactions to the entire world, and Alice hashes the above payload and stores only the hash on the public database.  At the same time, Alice sends the payload itself directly to Bob.   Along with payload hash, she also stores the spend proof, which is a hash of the input.  So, this is what she posts to the public database:

Code:
private_transaction: {
  payload_hash: ".....",
  spend_proof: "......"
}

Both hashes posted to the public database are obviously meaningless for all third parties, they can learn nothing from Alice's transaction except the fact that she sent _some_ transaction.

By making the spend proof public, we enable everybody to verify that the same input is not spent twice, as the same input will produce the same spend proof.

Byteball way :

Alice creates a txn that has her 10(could be hidden) input and a 10 output to Bob.
Alice generates a random number, that she will need to share with Bob, along with ALL the previous proofs in the chain(if her 10 is hidden), to decode the spend proofs.

Previous proofs (spend proofs) are already public, they don't need to be sent directly.  What is sent directly from Alice to Bob is previous payloads (plaintext inputs and outputs), which allow Bob to verify that the corresponding payload hashes and spend proofs do exist in the public database.

Alice 'hashes-the-txn' with the random number. (There are a few steps here..)
The random number is added as part of output, it is not something external.  It's purpose is to make preimaging of the spend proof impossible, you can safely ignore this part for initial understanding.

(This keeps the spend address visible for the network to check, but hides the rest.?)
Correct, the network sees only the fact that Alice spent something, and here the network's knowledge ends.

Alice sends the txn to the network and the spend proof to Bob. Who can then check for himself that the txn is what Alice says it is. And that all the parents are also valid.
Actually, the opposite: the spend proof is sent to the network (along with payload hash) while the plaintext transaction is sent to Bob.

The network knows that Alice has spent the 10(or hidden value). but doesn't know to who or for how much.
The network doesn't know how much Alice spent, see above.

The network doesn't know that Bob has a spendable output. So how does Bob then make a spend ? I know he knows, and he can prove the the next person, but the network won't have a record - so ..?
It's enough that Bob and all subsequent owners of the coin know that, the network doesn't need this knowledge.
legendary
I have checked your wallet,really quite flexible and powerful ,waiting for new update.
By the way can you tell me how to attach btc address with byteball android wallet?
Best of luck for your project

The attaching phase will start later, watch the announcements in this thread.
Currently, you evaluate the technology, see how ready it is for production use, and maybe build some tools/services based on it to get them ready by the launch.
Jump to: