Author

Topic: Obyte: Totally new consensus algorithm + private untraceable payments - page 1118. (Read 1233958 times)

legendary
Activity: 1382
Merit: 1002
whether the existing balance in the wallet test will be in use later her after the official ?

Test coins are, of course, only used for testing. You may continue testing all you want, but they are not valid on the mainnet.
Activity: 718
Merit: 545
Stop.

Just realised.

You don't have miners! (as you say a few lines up..). This DAG paradigm is a little different..

So only you and the person you send it to care!

So.. The only validator of a txn, is the person you send it to, and the future txns that it will be a parent of (as the proof) ?

hmm..

(still digesting..)

Activity: 882
Merit: 500
whether the existing balance in the wallet test will be in use later her after the official ?
Hello!

..ok.. I'll try and run through my current understanding and you correct me..  Grin

( The basic point is : When the txn is checked by the network, how does a hidden input make a spend, if it's hidden ?

Alice wants to send Bob 10 bytes.

Alice has 1 10 output available. (That could be hidden)

Normal way :

Alice creates a txn that has her 10 input and a 10 output to Bob.
Alice sends txn to network.
The network knows that Alice has spent 10 and creates a spendable output of 10 for Bob.
Bob now has a valid 10 output that he can spend on the network.

Byteball way :

Alice creates a txn that has her 10(could be hidden) input and a 10 output to Bob.
Alice generates a random number, that she will need to share with Bob, along with ALL the previous proofs in the chain(if her 10 is hidden), to decode the spend proofs.

(And here it's a little murky..)

Alice 'hashes-the-txn' with the random number. (There are a few steps here..)
(This keeps the spend address visible for the network to check, but hides the rest.?)

Alice sends the txn to the network and the spend proof to Bob. Who can then check for himself that the txn is what Alice says it is. And that all the parents are also valid.

The network knows that Alice has spent the 10(or hidden value). but doesn't know to who or for how much.

The network doesn't know that Bob has a spendable output. So how does Bob then make a spend ? I know he knows, and he can prove the the next person, but the network won't have a record - so ..?

What am I missing..
Activity: 896
Merit: 505
I have checked your wallet,really quite flexible and powerful ,waiting for new update.
By the way can you tell me how to attach btc address with byteball android wallet?
Best of luck for your project
legendary
Activity: 964
Merit: 1008
Hi spartacusrex, I'm glad to see the start of technical discussion in this thread!

49 Pages!

.. And, if I may, I'm glad you think 'Simplicity is Beauty' or you might have tried to cram too much in..  Wink

It really does a lot. Congrats! (Particularly like the 'Leave' vote.)

It is really a lot.  And I tried to leave no questions unanswered (but apparently it's impossible).

For   private   payments,   the   payload   goes   separately   and additionally   hides   the   
recipients   of   all   outputs   except   the   one   that   is   meant   for   the   payee

I can see how to hide the amounts, using the blinding factor, but if you hide the output addresses as well, how do the miners prevent a double spend ?

Or how does a user know that the output has not been spent already in another hidden txn ?

Or am I misunderstanding and the outputs are not hashed, just the amounts ?

That's what spend proofs are for.  Spend proof is a hash over the output being spent, hence if you try to spend the same output again, the spend proof will be necessarily the same, and the validators (there are no miners here) will notice that immediately.
49 Pages!

.. And, if I may, I'm glad you think 'Simplicity is Beauty' or you might have tried to cram too much in..  Wink

It really does a lot. Congrats! (Particularly like the 'Leave' vote.)

Can we chat about your private payment scheme.. ?

For   private   payments,   the   payload   goes   separately   and additionally   hides   the   
recipients   of   all   outputs   except   the   one   that   is   meant   for   the   payee

I can see how to hide the amounts, using the blinding factor, but if you hide the output addresses as well, how do the miners prevent a double spend ?

Or how does a user know that the output has not been spent already in another hidden txn ?

Or am I misunderstanding and the outputs are not hashed, just the amounts ?

legendary
sounds good dev! if i understood correctly we will not loose the testnet coin?

You can keep it but testnet coin is worthless by definition.
legendary
Since there will be no ICO, how do you plan to fund this project in short term and long term?

Like I did before for the previous 22 months, plus I allocate 1% for myself.
Activity: 269
Merit: 250
Since there will be no ICO, how do you plan to fund this project in short term and long term?
legendary
Activity: 2212
Merit: 1014
i am testing the wallet and seems to be very good! Did not take long time to sync! do you have any bounties for earlier testnet wallet dev?

I'm glad you like the wallet Smiley
The only bounty we have is free bytes on testnet.

sounds good dev! if i understood correctly we will not loose the testnet coin?
legendary
i am testing the wallet and seems to be very good! Did not take long time to sync! do you have any bounties for earlier testnet wallet dev?

I'm glad you like the wallet Smiley
The only bounty we have is free bytes on testnet.
legendary
Activity: 2212
Merit: 1014
legendary
New release v0.2: https://github.com/byteball/byteball/releases

After running for 3 days, a few insignificant bugs were found, most are fixed in the new release, some require more information.

Please upgrade by the above link (Android will update automatically), report any issues you encounter.
legendary
Interesting. Is there any tentative launch date?

Early November, subject to change.
legendary
Do you allow exchanges to attach btc to byteballs? Most of the coins are in their reserve. They will get more number of shares than individuals. Otherwise, you can also make a giveaway with exchanges.

In this anonymous world, I can't say who is an exchange and who is not, and can't stop exchanges from using their customers' funds for themselves.

If however any exchanges are willing to link their bitcoin addresses and receive bytes for their customers (not for themselves), they are most welcome.
Activity: 840
Merit: 500
Risk taker & Black Swan farmer.
Interesting. Is there any tentative launch date?
legendary
How many devs are working on this project?

One so far.
legendary
When windows wallet 32 bits will be released?

Try this https://github.com/byteball/byteball/releases/download/v0.1.1/Byteball-test-win32.exe.
Please let me know if it worked because I don't have access to a win32 machine to test.
legendary
If my device (smartphone/android) lost and i have backup the seed wallet.
How to import old wallet address?

Very good question. How would one import the wallet.dat for the phone app if phone was reset/crashed/bricked/smashed/thrown from a car window etc.  

Wallet seed is not enough because private assets, such as blackbytes, are stored only in the wallet (exactly because they are private) and get updated every time you send or receive a private asset.

To secure against loss of the wallet, I recommend that you use multisig.  For example, 1-of-2 multisig with one wallet on the phone, the other on a desktop computer.  This way, the private assets will be automatically copied to the two devices.
Jump to: