Pages:
Author

Topic: Official Bitcoin Unicode Character? - page 10. (Read 83734 times)

vip
Activity: 608
Merit: 501
-
December 17, 2010, 01:41:41 PM
Hi,
I tried getting all the suggestions so far for a bitcoin symbol and have listed them there:
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Bitcoin_symbol

May be easier to add pros and cons there until the choice becomes obvious (or not). I didn't add all the possibilities listed in this thread (missing the 8-based ones), however you are free to.
legendary
Activity: 1222
Merit: 1016
Live and Let Live
December 16, 2010, 07:21:00 AM
@ribuck

they look way to similar.  But I like the concept.  I still like the ฿ symbol.  It is easy to read, and people instantly understand that it is money.

The ⓑ looks too much like the copywrite symbol; something that I don't like.
Activity: 5
Merit: 0
December 16, 2010, 07:19:28 AM
Something to consider is character code 164 (hex 00A4) which will display on virtually every computer even if there is no Unicode font installed.

The name of this character is "currency symbol", and it was intended for use with any new currency. It was never used much because new currencies such as the Euro designed a new character.

Here's the symbol: ¤.

Mhm, I mentioned it in IRC, though as b¤.
donator
Activity: 826
Merit: 1039
December 16, 2010, 07:15:43 AM
Let's consider the long-term, where we will need a smaller unit. I think it's best to have a separate name for this, rather than messing with long decimals like 0.00000247. For the purpose of this discussion, suppose a millionth of a bitcoin is called a satoshi. Then it makes sense to choose a letter symbol that comes in a "B" form and an "S" form.

Here's how it would look for large-to-small transactions, using circled-letter symbols. It might be worth seeing how other schemes would deal with the huge range of transaction sizes.

ⓑ24700 (twenty-four thousand seven hundred bitcoins)
ⓑ2470 (two thousand four hundred and seventy bitcoins)
ⓑ247 (two hundred and forty-seven bitcoins) [omit "and" in the USA]
ⓑ24.7 (twenty-four point seven bitcoins)
ⓑ2.47 (two point four seven bitcoins)
ⓢ247000 (two hundred and forty-seven thousand satoshis)
ⓢ24700 (twenty-four thousand seven hundred satoshis)
ⓢ2470 (two thousand four hundred and seventy satoshis)
ⓢ247 (two hundred and forty-seven satoshis)
ⓢ24.7 (twenty-four point seven satoshis)
ⓢ2.47 (two point four seven satoshis)
donator
Activity: 826
Merit: 1039
December 16, 2010, 06:56:40 AM
Something to consider is character code 164 (hex 00A4) which will display on virtually every computer even if there is no Unicode font installed.

The name of this character is "currency symbol", and it was intended for use with any new currency. It was never used much because new currencies such as the Euro designed a new character.

Here's the symbol: ¤.

I don't like the look of the symbol myself, but I'm throwing it in for discussion.
Activity: 308
Merit: 100
December 15, 2010, 11:35:25 PM
Ⓑ I think is the nicest and looks good for a Bit Coin coins being circular.
Activity: 322
Merit: 250
December 15, 2010, 10:28:47 PM
You’re seriously advising people to change their default character set to non-Unicode?
Nope. Those were just the defaults in my browser. It'll probably work either way.
Activity: 434
Every saint has a past. Every sinner has a future.
December 15, 2010, 07:31:54 PM
But, it’s imo better than co-opting something like ⓑ, even if it is awesome, because semantically it means nothing. its just a glyph in front of a number to computers.
It would make more sense to have BTC or (b) in common use and then, in the distant future, propose something more stylish to unicode c.

I 100% agree. No point in adopting a symbol that wasn't designed to represent Bitcoin. Bitcoin deserves better.

IMHO none of these look good, with the exception of the Bhat symbol, which is, unfortunately, already taken.
December 15, 2010, 07:23:35 PM
Unsurprisingly, #bitcoin-dev has had another debate around the character for BTC
http://veritas.maximilianeum.ch/bitcoin/irc/logs/2010/12/15#l3479

So I read this thread, and surprised community hasn’t done a poll or anything to get opinions.
Seems people have contributed (Posts that didn’t get many +1s were ignored):

Predominately people have put it before the number, is that de facto enough to say it should be from now on?
Anyone else want to suggest things I missed or they want to add/remove?

Without wanting to curry things, I really dislike overloading the Bhat currency. If BTC ever becomes popular globally, how will Thai peeps know difference between ฿3 and ฿3?

Any new symbol needs a unicode number in the private use area (see Apple logo at U+F8FF ) until accepted into UCS, a font made, and people have to start using it… it’s a very hard choice.
But, it’s imo better than co-opting something like ⓑ, even if it is awesome, because semantically it means nothing. its just a glyph in front of a number to computers.
It would make more sense to have BTC or (b) in common use and then, in the distant future, propose something more stylish to unicode c.
December 15, 2010, 06:24:09 PM
7.   Select 'Western (ISO-8859-1)' in the Default Character Encoding field.
8.   Click the 'OK' button in the current window, and then again the next window.

You’re seriously advising people to change their default character set to non-Unicode? EUGH. That’s just soo wrong. Don’t do that.
Find a good font that will fill in your fallback characters (Everson Mono is a good choice), and default to Unicode UTF-8.
December 10, 2010, 10:46:39 PM
Hey! One thing anoying me with ฿ - is the fact it's for right2left text and browsers behaive funky with it )

I am looking through http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Unicode_characters

What's about - ?
Can you share a screen shot?

Or: ϭ
Both of your suggestions seem a little random. The best suggestions try to incorporate some sort of association with bitcoins or the Bitcoin system.
Activity: 546
Merit: 500
December 10, 2010, 10:42:14 PM
Or: ϭ
Activity: 546
Merit: 500
December 10, 2010, 10:40:03 PM
Hey! One thing anoying me with ฿ - is the fact it's for right2left text and browsers behaive funky with it )

I am looking through http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Unicode_characters

What's about - ?
December 08, 2010, 04:48:35 PM
For those running Firefox on Windows XP for whom ⓑ, the unicode character 24D1, doesn't display properly, I have an easy fix:
1.   Download the Quivira font from this page.
2.   Extract the file and install the font according to this guide.
3.   In Firefox, select Tools --> Options and then the Content tab. Under Fonts & Colors, click the Advanced button.
4.   Select 'Other Languages' in the Fonts for drop down field.
5.   Select 'Serif' in the Proportional field.
6.   Select 'Quivira' in both the Serif and Sans-serif fields.
7.   Select 'Western (ISO-8859-1)' in the Default Character Encoding field.
8.   Click the 'OK' button in the current window, and then again the next window.

ⓑ should now display properly in your browser. If you have another font in mind that supports ⓑ, feel free to swap it for the one I suggested.
December 07, 2010, 08:13:09 AM
Although I love some of the creative designs people have come up with here...   The problem is, if the character doesn't already exist in standard-issue fonts...   What are we going to do?   Insert a JPG image next to a numeric value every time we want to type a Bitcoin amount...?

Let's say that ⓑ takes off. Websites wishing to display can host the necessary fonts for browsers. Typesetting programs should accommodate the symbol without much trouble for formal documents. For informal documents, people will get by with simply b or (b), as they do with the copyright symbol. One can easily tell Word to turn (b) into ⓑ on the fly as well.

I suppose that when there can be no ambiguity, people will default to a currency code (BTC) as they do with every other currency.
Activity: 434
Merit: 251
youtube.com/ericfontainejazz now accepts bitcoin
December 07, 2010, 01:16:42 AM
I think it is time for a straw poll to determine the relative popularity of the competing designs proposed.  Of course, this will not be an official vote...
Activity: 336
Merit: 252
December 07, 2010, 12:53:18 AM
Although I love some of the creative designs people have come up with here...   The problem is, if the character doesn't already exist in standard-issue fonts...   What are we going to do?   Insert a JPG image next to a numeric value every time we want to type a Bitcoin amount...?
Activity: 48
December 06, 2010, 05:34:18 PM
I quite like the C with dots which Hepatizon proposed. Plus, I agree that Bitcoin is more important than the Baht.
Maybe also something like that can be nicely processed by a typographer:
It might have good scaling properties...
December 05, 2010, 12:54:37 AM
ⓑ25.50           or          ฿25.50

subliminally...  one of these looks like money...  the other one looks like a copyright notice....
Any copyrights still in effect from the year twenty five and a half?

That ⓑ doesn't show properly for everyone bugs me, but for what it's worth, the symbol displays fine on four out of the five of the computers I use, although three of those run Ubuntu and one runs OS X. Anyone come up for a quick fix for getting unicode symbols to display properly on Windows computers?

Edit: Apparently, the issue only affects those who use fonts that don't support such characters. According to this page, that's basically anyone running Windows XP or earlier. Here's a list of fonts that support the enclosed alphanumeric range. I'll tell my browser on the offending computer to use one of them. Hopefully ⓑ will start displaying properly.
legendary
Activity: 1470
Merit: 1005
Bringing Legendary Har® to you since 1952
December 04, 2010, 09:32:29 PM
if course I'm joking around...ofcourse it is important to have a standardized, commonly agreed-upon and recognized symbol
The only standard we can reasonably hope for is a de facto one.

Amen, Father McGruder!

+ 1.

Let's just wait and see which one will become most popular and simply use it.
Pages:
Jump to: