Pages:
Author

Topic: Official Bitcoin Unicode Character? - page 8. (Read 83734 times)

Activity: 411
Merit: 250
February 18, 2011, 11:58:32 AM
I'm going to toss my vote in for Ⓑ

Since it really does look like the logo.

I vote for that as well. I really like the logo as it quickly makes it clear what bitcoin is all about. It communicates the idea of money quickly and easily, without the need for wordy explanations. The Ⓑ recalls the logo, and so would become easily recognizable as the bitcoin symbol.
Activity: 322
February 18, 2011, 08:11:49 AM
I live in Thailand and it would confuse the hell out of me if websites started offering services using the Thai baht symbol, you'd have no idea if they're talking about BitCoin or Baht.

Why not make your own symbol instead of taking someone else's? Do you really have no imagination yourself that you can't come up with your own symbol? Why do some of you care so much that bitcoin has to use this symbol?

By the way, trading 1 ฿ for 30 ฿ if you're interested.
QFT
Activity: 532
Merit: 500
FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM
February 18, 2011, 07:59:28 AM
I'm going to toss my vote in for Ⓑ

Since it really does look like the logo.
Activity: 27
Merit: 0
February 18, 2011, 07:24:03 AM
I don't like the ฿ from the beginning. It looks like a crossed out (because of error) B. And the fact that it is already being used for the Thai currency puts me off.

The $ sign is being used by many currencies, but I guess these countries adopted the sign before the age of globalization.

Since we are creating a new sign from scratch, we should really try to avoid something that is ready in used.

In the long run, bitcoin might become the global internet currency, so exchanges between other currencies will become very common. So we need to avoid the possible confusion 1฿ = 2฿, and not knowing which is Thai, which is bitcoin. We can never assume people will also make things clear. Some mistakes are totally unintentional.

The representation of Byte (B) and bit (b) is a good point, so many people prefer the ⓑ.

However, the Ⓑ is closer to current logo, and it renders better in small fonts.
Activity: 10
February 18, 2011, 06:59:39 AM
I live in Thailand and it would confuse the hell out of me if websites started offering services using the Thai baht symbol, you'd have no idea if they're talking about BitCoin or Baht.

Why not make your own symbol instead of taking someone else's? Do you really have no imagination yourself that you can't come up with your own symbol? Why do some of you care so much that bitcoin has to use this symbol?

By the way, trading 1 ฿ for 30 ฿ if you're interested.
Activity: 42
February 18, 2011, 06:09:17 AM
My argument is that it should be represented by a character that everyone can understand. If for example I told my grandmother that I was going to send her a bitcoin then I'd like her to understand the currency when it comes to her in [character]1 where [character] is whatever is being used to represent bitcoin.
Activity: 493
IDENA.IO - Proof-Of-Person Blockchain
February 18, 2011, 04:10:23 AM
฿TC are exellent in my opinion the $ symbol is very simillar but we need a common symbol for example tree letter for U$S are USD bitcoin have a tree letters BTC but not have a unicode symbol just adopt ฿ =)
Activity: 434
Merit: 251
youtube.com/ericfontainejazz now accepts bitcoin
January 15, 2011, 02:50:32 AM
2ⓑ|!2ⓑ, that is the question!

ROFL!   Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
Activity: 360
January 15, 2011, 01:49:38 AM
2ⓑ|!2ⓑ, that is the question!
Activity: 288
Merit: 263
Firstbits.com/1davux
January 14, 2011, 06:47:02 PM
Of course this notation will never fly with the average Joe, so I'm not proposing it seriously.

In France, I've often seen prices in euros written this way, e.g. 12€50.
donator
Activity: 826
Merit: 1039
January 14, 2011, 06:43:41 PM
What about placement of the symbol.

Personally I'd like to use the symbol instead of the decimal point. You can see this sometimes on electronic circuit diagrams where a 4.7k ohm resistor is labelled 4k7 so that there's no confusion due to missed decimal points.

That solution also covers the situation of very large units being needed. So, if we used "m" for a milli-bitcoin and "u" for a micro-bitcoin, we could have denominations such as 2m50, 7504b25 or 400u.

Of course this notation will never fly with the average Joe, so I'm not proposing it seriously.
January 14, 2011, 05:12:05 PM
Does anybody know what the criteria for insertion into Unicode are?
Pretty sure this thread has covered the question.

What about placement of the symbol. I prefer it after the price. For example, 20.11ⓑ. And that, actually, has me leaning more towards not bothering with a symbol and just sticking with BTC. Eventually, deflation will have us using centi, milli, and micro bitcoins. Denoting them as cBTC, mBTC, and uBTC respectively. Doing so with any currency symbol just doesn't look right.
Firstbits.com/1davux
January 14, 2011, 04:50:00 PM
What about B⃦?
Examples:
Code:
0.01 B⃦TC

B⃦100

Yeah. Like it. I especially like the "B⃦TC" form, since it kind of degrades to "BTC" when the COMBINING DOUBLE VERTICAL STROKE OVERLAY (a.k.a. U+20E6) character cannot be interpreted.

There's also room for a dedicated character (range U+20b9 to U+20CF, see http://www.utf8-zeichentabelle.de/unicode-utf8-table.pl?start=8320). I think that should be the goal. Does anybody know what the criteria for insertion into Unicode are?
LZ
legendary
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1072
P2P Cryptocurrency
January 14, 2011, 03:58:46 PM
I just found this thread. Smiley What about B⃦? It is Unicode 6.0 - so you need supported typeface like GNU FreeFont.
Just set FreeMono as a fixed-width typeface, FreeSans as a sans-serif typeface and FreeSerif as a serif typeface.

Activity: 222
Merit: 100
January 13, 2011, 06:24:57 PM
Besides sports team logo is used in other context than currency symbols, so you can't really confuse it.
If I would have to choose already existing symbol, I would probably choose Ⓑ because it looks similar to the unofficial logo.
legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007
January 13, 2011, 06:11:47 PM
The confusion of residents in Boston is even less material to what we do than the confusion of residents of an entire nation, or several.
Activity: 42
January 13, 2011, 02:34:39 PM
You'd rather borrow a symbol used by an entire country than one used by a Boston sports team ?
Activity: 336
Merit: 252
January 13, 2011, 02:32:23 PM
I think ⓑ could cause confusion in Boston...   as it could be mistaken for the logo for the Boston Bruins (see http://www.sportslogos.net/logo.php?id=27 )

And since 1.00 THB = 0.0329327 USD, I think the beautiful wonderful Buddhist people of Thailand will be very happy indeed if you pay them in BTC instead of THB.   Smiley
January 11, 2011, 09:32:57 AM
Meh. I'm sticking with ⓑ and BTC until I see something better.
Firstbits.com/1davux
January 10, 2011, 08:05:06 PM
I live in Mexico, where the symbol for MXN (Mexican pesos) is $, same as USD. In everydaylife, this causes no problem, since there's no ambiguity: everything is written in pesos, you pay in pesos, you charge in pesos. From time to time, though, there's an ambiguity about whether the price is in USD or in MXN, especially in "international" zones (airports, touristic places, a whole big part of the Internet, etc.). When I first arrived at the airport, I found the price for losing one's "forma migratoria" ($80 or $100 IIRC) very high, until I realized it was Mexican pesos. Also, on an art website I'm doing (http://plaztika.com), prices are in Mexican pesos, and I can't use the $ symbol because it would be ambiguous. Some French artists will join the website soon and will have prices in EUR, and in that case I'll be able to use €, but for prices in pesos, I'll have to stick to "MXN", which means concretely that the $ symbol cannot be used. Same for any future artwork sold in American dollars, I'll need to use "USD" or "dollars". Sad but true. I've been hating this long before I heard about Bitcoins, so this is not a tweaked argument.

The same situation could happen if ฿ were used for both BTC and THB (Thai Bath): it will work as long as there's no ambiguity (e.g. here on this forum), but for example on that art website I won't be able to use it ever.

So it's fine by me if people start using ฿, but it will be only a partial feature. While it's still time to choose, let's be more clever than that.
Pages:
Jump to: