Author

Topic: OFFICIAL CGMINER mining software thread for linux/win/osx/mips/arm/r-pi 4.11.0 - page 190. (Read 5805531 times)

Activity: 56
Merit: 0
Looks like the "bug" - if we can call it that - started with the 3.6.x build:
    https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.3443712
Yikes, you and I may have separate issues after all and/or there may be more than one issue to be found. The plot thickens. I sure hope my problem isn't right under my nose.

Well - hopefully it's the same problem!   That's how I stumbled upon this thread in the first place, remember?  We seem to confirm each other's findings re the test-builds, i.e. we both consistently get zombies and/or decaying hash-rates on the builds we've tested, but perhaps I see them more quickly as I'm running 34 erupters. Anyway, at the moment I'm happy with 3.5.1. It's been running about 4 hours in total and no errors, so hopefully it will survive overnight and become my new "stable" build.

As an aside, I have 2 * 7970's in my machine also, but they are happily mining LTC using another instance of 3.3.1 (I'll upgrade that to 3.5.1 at some point, even though it's not strictly necessary).

I haven't bothered trialling the latest test-builds.  I'll just leave 3.5.1 running until morning and see what ckolivas makes of all this. Shocked
Activity: 672
Merit: 250
I'd like to think some other variable is at play here.  I've run every single version of cgminer from 3.3.1 to 3.5.1 and have never had a single problem.  I ran it on a Windows 7 machine 24/7 with two 7970 video cards and six block erupters.  The only down time I've had is from halting for software updates and the maybe an average of one restart a month for system updates.  After 3.5.1 I moved the block erupters to a raspberry pi and it has almost literally 100% up time.  The only times it has stopped mining are when I halted the process to start the latest version of cgminer.  It's run every version between 3.5.1 all the way up to 3.6.6 without issue.

There almost has to be some key variable...os, wiring, electrical, hardware defect, environment...

Chad

Were your 7970s hashing along with the erupters? I've got one 7970 on this machine, but haven't used it for hashing in quite a while - I've been running the nogpu version of cgminer through all this testing. One quirk of my testing was that whenever I ran with debug/logging on the errors didn't happen - no zombies, no failures, leading to the impression that it is some kind of timing/timeout issue.

Yeah...the video cards were hashing with the erupters in the same cgminer instance before going to the raspberry pi.

Chad
legendary
Activity: 1526
Merit: 1000
the grandpa of cryptos
That's the scrypt version of guiminer

yes but im speaking of mining BTC here, just thats the setup that works. i dont knwo what flags to use to make it work. mayeb some fan flags?

please help guys i mclueless.
legendary
Activity: 1450
Merit: 1013
Cryptanalyst castrated by his government, 1952
I'd like to think some other variable is at play here.  I've run every single version of cgminer from 3.3.1 to 3.5.1 and have never had a single problem.  I ran it on a Windows 7 machine 24/7 with two 7970 video cards and six block erupters.  The only down time I've had is from halting for software updates and the maybe an average of one restart a month for system updates.  After 3.5.1 I moved the block erupters to a raspberry pi and it has almost literally 100% up time.  The only times it has stopped mining are when I halted the process to start the latest version of cgminer.  It's run every version between 3.5.1 all the way up to 3.6.6 without issue.

There almost has to be some key variable...os, wiring, electrical, hardware defect, environment...

Chad

Were your 7970s hashing along with the erupters? I've got one 7970 on this machine, but haven't used it for hashing in quite a while - I've been running the nogpu version of cgminer through all this testing. One quirk of my testing was that whenever I ran with debug/logging on the errors didn't happen - no zombies, no failures, leading to the impression that it is some kind of timing/timeout issue.
legendary

Yikes, you and I may have separate issues after all and/or there may be more than one issue to be found. The plot thickens. I sure hope my problem isn't right under my nose.
Activity: 574
Merit: 501
That's the scrypt version of guiminer
Activity: 546
Merit: 500
what did you do to get those fields to show up? Is that the uncompiled one?
legendary
Activity: 1526
Merit: 1000
the grandpa of cryptos
please help with conf.
on GUIminer i have this setup:

yet if i run cgminer with its not even close to be as stabiel + i have big heating problems. [of GPU mostly]
-I 16 -w 256 -v 1 --gpu-threads 1 --thread-concurrency 8000 --auto-fan

what am i missing between this two, is there some other setup i need?

i have AMD radeon HD 9670. windows7.
Activity: 333
Ants Rock
Activity: 742
it is normal for 3.6.6-1?
in other versions there is no such
This is not a solo
3.6.4 works fine

Activity: 672

Chad
I *could* try some intermediate versions between 3.3.1 and 3.6.4 if thay are still available, and if it would help?  
If there's a specific version update that causes it, it narrows down the possible causes of post 3.3.1 breakage (though I've rewritten everything I could think of in the meantime so could have some other issue now).
I'll try to find it.  Seems like as good a plan as any.  Starting with 3.3.4...  Cool

I'm fairly sure the bug was present in 3.4.3, fwiw.
Hmmm, interesting. I'm not seeing that.  It seems to have occurred much later for me.

I'm doing binary chop testing to localise the onset of the bug among the 11 releases between 3.3.1 and 3.6.4.  Initially just running a 2-hour (maximum) test on each version, but stopping immediately I get a zombie. I will go back and verify with a longer run as soon as I find the last "perfect" version!

Results so far:

3.3.1 - ok
3.3.4 - ok
3.4.0 -
3.4.1 -
3.4.2 -
3.4.3 - ok
3.5.0 -  
3.5.1 - ok
3.6.0 - does not run. All AMU LEDS full on. No AMUs detected?
3.6.1 - ZOMBIE
3.6.2 -
3.6.3 -
3.6.4 - ZOMBIE
3.6.6 - ZOMBIE

Edit: 3.5.1 ran for 2 hours, no problems.  3.6.0 will not start for me - it does not seem to "see" the AMUs at all.
       3.6.1 runs but gives zombies, so it looks as if the bug was introduced (probably) at the 3.6.x build.

I am currently running 3.5.1 as a long term test to ensure it is as stable as 3.3.1 is (for me).  2012-10-30 @ 19:20
legendary
I *could* try some intermediate versions between 3.3.1 and 3.6.4 if thay are still available, and if it would help?  
If there's a specific version update that causes it, it narrows down the possible causes of post 3.3.1 breakage (though I've rewritten everything I could think of in the meantime so could have some other issue now).
I'll try to find it.  Seems like as good a plan as any.  Starting with 3.3.4...  Cool

I'm fairly sure the bug was present in 3.4.3, fwiw.
I'll try to find it.  Seems like as good a plan as any.  Starting with 3.3.4...  Cool
-ck
legendary
Activity: 4088
Merit: 1631
Ruu \o/
legendary

Running rs8 now.

Edit: zombie about 15 minutes into the run. Trying rs10 shortly.

Edit: zombie from rs10 about 10 minutes into the run. I'll leave rs10 running.

Edit: it couldn't recover so I restarted and got 4 zombies within 6 minutes. "rs10" isn't my fave among the recent candidates.       Smiley
So I'm back to mining on 3.3.1 after completing the above tests and everything is running perfectly.  I would stick with 3.3.1 except that it doesn't always show all the devices on startup, and doesn't handle hot-plugging as well as the later builds.  Perhaps we can't have everything?!
Why the fuck not goddamnit Sad

And why 3.3.1? Did it break precisely at 3.3.2?

Good question!  The answer is - I don't know as I went directly from 3.3.1 to 3.6.4 which was the latest at that time.

I had taken my eye off software-updates as I had 3.3.1 working perfectly (except for the "sometimes not showing all the devices when starting up" problem, and the "unable to recover an AMU by unplugging/replugging" problem).  But since I get hardly any problems with AMUs going down under 3.3.1, the hotplug problem isn't really a concern, just a "nice-to-have."

I *could* try some intermediate versions between 3.3.1 and 3.6.4 if they are still available, and if it would help?

Edit:  Currently running 3.3.4.  I'll do a 2 hour test on selected builds until I hit the one where it breaks Smiley 
Activity: 546
Maybe that's the last one to support windows xp. There's at least one poster posting problems with xp.

Feel free to change the words for what you feel.

Jump to: