Author

Topic: OFFICIAL CGMINER mining software thread for linux/win/osx/mips/arm/r-pi 4.11.0 - page 594. (Read 5805546 times)

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000
Get someone to write a plugin for it.  Want Luke and Kano to stop fighting?  Let them write their own separate plugins.
The code seems rather modular already : you can compile support for various things in or not if you wish. Plugins might be a good idea, but they require to design a plugin interface. Accommodating the various peculiarities of each hardware type in the interface might be difficult and designing it to make plugins load in a portable way (Linux/Windows/...) is probably a nightmare.
I'd be pleasantly surprised if ckolivas and cgminer contributors think otherwise and as I think it would benefit myself if possible I even pledge 40BTC for an hardware plugin interface and migration of current GPU/FPGA code to plugins (20 BTC for the cgminer work, 20BTC to split evenly among hardware plugins).
You sir, wrote an great little piece of software, but you will never make everyone happy, don't try.
Couldn't agree more.
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
It [SS incrementing with submit stale on] was fixed in 2.3.3

Thanks. I can confirm 2.3.4 is working on my system as expected.

Donation coming your way.
-ck
legendary
Activity: 4088
Merit: 1631
Ruu \o/
I have submit stale also on also.

About 700 000 shares total submitted and SS still 0 like it should be.

What version of cgminer?
I noticed that it doesn't affect my rigs running 2.1.2 but it does affect the ones running 2.3.1f & 2.3.2
It was fixed in 2.3.3
donator
Gerald Davis
Hmm.  Let me try 2.3.3 on one of the rigs.
Activity: 518
Merit: 500

What version of cgminer?
I noticed that it doesn't affect my rigs running 2.1.2 but it does affect the ones running 2.3.1f & 2.3.2

I only update if I need a feature that is not available in the current release or if the new release brings improvements etc.

No need to use 2.3.4 because I don't run a ZTEX Wink
donator
Gerald Davis

What version of cgminer?
If submit-stale = true (or pool is using submit-stale flag) shouldn't SS always be 0.

If submit-stale = true and  SS is > 0 what is happening.
A) cgminer is not submitting share? err?
or
B) cgminer is.

B is less of a problem but it results in bogus stats.  If share is submitted then it will either be returned as rejected (R count ++) or accepted (A count ++).  If SS is also being incremented then the same share is being counted twice.

The reason I ask is I have submit-stale = true and lately have been noticing an SS count of > 0.  It is a low % (say 0.5%) but it should always be 0 right?

Strange ...
donator
Gerald Davis
If submit-stale = true (or pool is using submit-stale flag) shouldn't SS always be 0?

If submit-stale = true and  SS is > 0 what is happening.
A) cgminer is not submitting share? err?
or
B) cgminer is.

B is less of a problem but it results in bogus stats.  If share is submitted then it will either be returned as rejected (R count ++) or accepted (A count ++).  If SS is also being incremented then the same share is being counted twice.

The reason I ask is I have submit-stale = true and lately have been noticing an SS count of > 0.  It is a low % (say 0.5%) but it should always be 0 right?

On edit:  so I looked at all my rigs.  It seems only "newer" cgminer has SS > 0.
I have some rigs still on cgminer 2.1.2 (BAMT 0.4) they all properly show SS = 0 (one has been running 60 days w/ SS = 0).
I have some rigs on cgminer 2.3.1f (BAMT 0.5) they all have SS > 0.
donator
Gerald Davis
ckolivas, it's your baby, do what you want with it.  If I were you, I would just strip it down to the bare minimum, then run all the extra shit off of plug-ins.  Want a different interface, use a different plugin, want support for super-duper-FPGA-miner-3000?  Get someone to write a plugin for it.  Want Luke and Kano to stop fighting?  Let them write their own separate plugins.

You sir, wrote an great little piece of software, but you will never make everyone happy, don't try.

THIS.
Activity: 378
Merit: 250
Why is it so damn hot in here?
To many people fighting about what should, or should not be included.  Fighting about what the display should look like, fighting about what information should be displayed and what shouldn't.  This is getting to be a pain in the ass.

ckolivas, it's your baby, do what you want with it.  If I were you, I would just strip it down to the bare minimum, then run all the extra shit off of plug-ins.  Want a different interface, use a different plugin, want support for super-duper-FPGA-miner-3000?  Get someone to write a plugin for it.  Want Luke and Kano to stop fighting?  Let them write their own separate plugins.

Regarding ztex support, is dynamic frequency scaling supported (like with BTCMiner)?

Yes. There are a few things missing still:

- support for quad boards (1.15y)
- suspend
- high speed bitstream upload
- hotplug
- firmware upload (to support hot upgrade and the new bogus firmware feature)
- Support for the latest firmware (120417, bitstream 15d4) - This is already done but waiting on inclusion on the main repository

All of the above will be addressed as time permits. You can use the latest firmware if you compile cgminer yourself, grab it here -> https://github.com/nelisky/cgminer/tree/ztex-120417

There is a lot more I want to do but I've been mining with ztex 1.15x boards on cgminer for roughly one month now and it works great Smiley

Great stuff !

Just let me know when I can flash my GPU BIOSes without using RBE and using only cgminer.

Also let me know when I can attach cgminer to my grill to cook me some eggs as well !

Too many features in cgminer will not be beneficial for anyone. cgminer is good for one thing : mining.

If you start also allowing it to flash FPGA bitstream and firmware then why not expand it to a household alarm monitor as well etc.

Look at BFL and their "easyminer" software. That is what every FPGA dev should develop instead of piggybacking onto cgminer with puny donations like 10 BTC.
legendary
Activity: 1540
Merit: 1001
Regarding ztex support, is dynamic frequency scaling supported (like with BTCMiner)?

Yes. There are a few things missing still:

- support for quad boards (1.15y)
- suspend
- high speed bitstream upload
- hotplug
- firmware upload (to support hot upgrade and the new bogus firmware feature)
- Support for the latest firmware (120417, bitstream 15d4) - This is already done but waiting on inclusion on the main repository

All of the above will be addressed as time permits. You can use the latest firmware if you compile cgminer yourself, grab it here -> https://github.com/nelisky/cgminer/tree/ztex-120417

There is a lot more I want to do but I've been mining with ztex 1.15x boards on cgminer for roughly one month now and it works great Smiley
legendary
Activity: 4592
Merit: 1851
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
Yes.
And the pull request I have in at the moment adds Ztex (and the frequency) to the API PGA output
(frequency on the end of course)
donator
Activity: 543
-ck
legendary
Activity: 4088
Merit: 1631
Ruu \o/
If we can get you FPGAs, would you be willing to support those in cgminer?
But of course. It would be a self-fulfilling donation then which is better than just giving me the equivalent amount of BTC, as was the 7970 donation and much better cgminer support for GCN cards as a result. Continuing to support would be guaranteed if I owned one of the devices.
The question that really needs to be asked is: will this change your current policy of all Icarus driver changes going through Kano (which allows him to continue breaking it, and neglects all the fixes and optimizations I've made), and instead consider merges based on their actual code quality?
Duly ignored.
legendary
Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186
Well, you could withdraw support from cgminer... but I think the better course of action is to modularize all of the processor types and abstract them from the cgminer core.
Yes, that's what I did when I added FPGA support originally. The code is still in the same tree, however.
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000
Well, you could withdraw support from cgminer... but I think the better course of action is to modularize all of the processor types and abstract them from the cgminer core.

You can then concentrate on developing the cgminer core and the gpu module and others can concentrate on the FPGA, ASIC, etc... modules.  Tear all of the built in code that's in there so far and put it in a separate module for each type of device.  Then call those modules from cgminer to do their thing, have them return the proper data and let the cgminer core handle sending the results/requesting the getworks from the server and displaying the results to the screen.  

legendary
and don't forget the dd-wrt support with it :-)

So how does dd-wrt relate to openwrt (which I'm currently using on a tp-link router)?
Activity: 686
and don't forget the dd-wrt support with it :-)
legendary
I agree with your views.

I don't have any FPGA and don't plan on ever having one.

Maybe start FPGAminer project Tongue but let us concentrate on GPUs for now because a majority of miners are using them right now.

FPGA is just a minority ...

Minority or not, I like cgminer so much I'm supporting ztex there myself. There has been some extra work for ckolivas as I adapt to cgminer's coding style but it is more or less easy to keep most changes separate fromt he main cgminer code. I do think ckolivas' time is best spent making cgminer even better and more stable rather than implementing fpgas there, seeing he is very good in the gpu support, as it is in his personal interest anyway Smiley

I think cgminer as a gpu + fpga miner is unbeatable, and I'll do all I can to keep it that way. We can always fork it, but I think as FPGAs become more mainstream it is good for the community as a whole if it stays in the same place.
Jump to: