Author

Topic: OFFICIAL CGMINER mining software thread for linux/win/osx/mips/arm/r-pi 4.11.0 - page 650. (Read 5805546 times)

legendary
Activity: 4592
Merit: 1851
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
c) cgminer stops after 5000 shares (and script detects it)
Or

--sched-stop `date -d "+6 hours" +%H:%M`

... since shares are random Smiley

And 6 hours for a 1GH/s is approximately 5029 shares
Activity: 1162
Merit: 500
Suggestion: Would it be possible to maintain on the first page of this tread a list of all the AMD graphics cards with the optimum settings for cgminer?

It's kind of cumbersome to keep reading through all those pages (202) at the moment - so it would be nice to have this information in one central place.
Activity: 769
Con, maybe we can talk about integrating global offset parameter support into CGMINER?

Take a short look at http://www.khronos.org/registry/cl/sdk/1.2/docs/man/xhtml/clEnqueueNDRangeKernel.html and the global_work_offset parameter. All that has to be taken into consideration from the kernel-side is in DiaKGCN. OpenCL 1.1 detection is in your code, too, which is needed, but I can't do the other required changes without a compiler.

In short, the nonce-base is not supplied via the base parameter, if GOFFSET is enabled, but instead via the global_work_offset parameter and used via the global work-item ID in the kernel. This saves a few instructions and can give us a small boost.

Dia
Activity: 518
Quote from: DeathAndTaxes
I would love to see an expanded version of this that goes down to 100 (or lower) memclock using latest version of cgminer, latest drivers, and SDK 2.1.

Anyone have any ideas how to automate a loop of cgminer.
I would imagine the easiest would be something like.

setup config file w/ shares: "5000", static memclock, static coreclock, worksize defined, vectors defined.

script
a) modifies config file to next parameter set to be tested (i.e. V2, W256, memclock = 180)
b) starts cgminer
d) capture and save final avg hashrate, rejects, errors, etc.
e) goto a

I would be happy to run something like this on one of my rigs.   Once we get results for one core clock we could run it at another speed.

Between 5870s & 5970s I figure coreclocks of 725 (5970 stock), 800, 825 (5870 stock), 850, 875, 900, 925, 950, 1000 (watercooled Smiley ) would be useful.

Doing it manually would be a nightmare but if someone can make some semi-automated tool I would be happy to leave it running on one of my rigs.  Once we get data for SDK 2.1 we could compare it to SDK 2.4, 2.5, 2.6.  It is possible that some parameters do better on different version of SDK (as an example.  maybe SDK 2.1 is best w/ high work, low vectors, low memclock but SDK 2.5 is better at smaller  work, high vectors, "normalish" memclock, etc).

Yeah. You can say that again.

I would have done it but sadly my router died on me and I am still trying to fix it ...

IMHO one needs to test just 2.1 against 2.4 and ranges from below 300 for memory and above 900 for core.
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
Gonna link again the graphic I like so much Grin (from phatk thread)

I would love to see an expanded version of this that goes down to 100 (or lower) memclock using latest version of cgminer, latest drivers, and SDK 2.1.

Anyone have any ideas how to automate a loop of cgminer.
I would imagine the easiest would be something like.

setup config file w/ shares: "5000", static memclock, static coreclock, worksize defined, vectors defined.

script
a) modifies config file to next parameter set to be tested (i.e. V2, W256, memclock = 180)
b) starts cgminer
d) capture and save final avg hashrate, rejects, errors, etc.
e) goto a

I would be happy to run something like this on one of my rigs.   Once we get the complete result set for one core clock we could run it at another core speed.  Between 5870s & 5970s I figure coreclocks of 725 (5970 stock), 800, 825 (5870 stock), 850, 875, 900, 925, 950, 1000 (watercooled Smiley ) would be useful.

Doing it manually would be a nightmare but if someone can make some semi-automated tool I would be happy to leave it running on one of my rigs.  Once we get data for SDK 2.1 we could compare it to SDK 2.4, 2.5, 2.6.  It is possible that some parameters do better on different versions of SDK (as an example maybe SDK 2.1 is best w/ high work, low vectors, low memclock but SDK 2.5 is better at smaller  work, high vectors, "normalish" memclock, etc).
You are but 1 Mhash off my current poclbm kernel with that Wink Diakgcn 716.5 versus ck-poclbm 717.5
Sounds not too bad Cheesy. I will try -w 128 and compare results on my machine ... will report back, which one is faster for me at default clocks and on Win7 x64. I'm happy now!
There is something unusual about it running diakgcn and the hashrate appears to be more unstable, rising and falling more so it takes a while to get a reasonable grasp for what the hashrate really is. Since you're running 2 vectors, it effectively makes the hashrate update half as often as running my poclbm kernel since I use no vectors. Either way, the hashrates are really close.

I still have some problems with that Git-stuff, but it's such a great tool, wow ... it would be nice to default diakgcn to -v 2 and it seems -w 256 is better for me by ~0,5 MH/s Cheesy but I can live with the default being 128 ^^.
-ck
legendary
Activity: 4088
Merit: 1631
Ruu \o/
You are but 1 Mhash off my current poclbm kernel with that Wink Diakgcn 716.5 versus ck-poclbm 717.5
Sounds not too bad Cheesy. I will try -w 128 and compare results on my machine ... will report back, which one is faster for me at default clocks and on Win7 x64. I'm happy now!
There is something unusual about it running diakgcn and the hashrate appears to be more unstable, rising and falling more so it takes a while to get a reasonable grasp for what the hashrate really is. Since you're running 2 vectors, it effectively makes the hashrate update half as often as running my poclbm kernel since I use no vectors. Either way, the hashrates are really close.
With Diapolo's help we finally got the diakgcn kernel working on cgminer. I've just committed code to the git tree which makes it work. Alas at the same engine and clock speeds on the 7970, diakgcn gives me 699 MHash while my customised kernel gives me 717 MHash. But now that it's working, he may be able to tweak it further...

Did you use -v 2 with DiaKGCN for your test? I'm not sure why, but it has always been faster on Phoenix to use it with -v 2.

Dia
Tried it, much slower.

Did you use the code from the latest commits, here on Windows it's definitely faster with -v 2.

-I 9 -k diakgcn -d 0 -v 1 -w 256: ~524 MH/s
-I 9 -k diakgcn -d 0 -v 2 -w 256: ~539 MH/s
Indeed it is faster now, and with -v 2, it is fastest allow cgminer to choose worksize which is ends up being 128 - it queries the "preferred worksize" and divides that by number of vectors.

Dia
-ck
legendary
Ruu \o/
With Diapolo's help we finally got the diakgcn kernel working on cgminer. I've just committed code to the git tree which makes it work. Alas at the same engine and clock speeds on the 7970, diakgcn gives me 699 MHash while my customised kernel gives me 717 MHash. But now that it's working, he may be able to tweak it further...

Did you use -v 2 with DiaKGCN for your test? I'm not sure why, but it has always been faster on Phoenix to use it with -v 2.

Dia
Tried it, much slower.

Did you use the code from the latest commits, here on Windows it's definitely faster with -v 2.

Indeed it is faster now, and with -v 2, it is fastest allow cgminer to choose worksize which is ends up being 128 - it queries the "preferred worksize" and divides that by number of vectors.

-ck
legendary
Ruu \o/
Thanks for your help with integrating DiaKGCN Con!
And thank you for the code. Now what advantage is there to reordering the variables passed to the kernel? In commit d86a38d1e75090e1ffb9df9e68aa13b1c8dcf9ec you shuffled arguments which appear to be mostly cosmetic. Would that be right?

That's true for the most part when reordering kernel-arguments to be in line with usage of them in the code, but I think it's part of a clean code, don't you think so?

So you created a new DiaKGCN branch, will this last so I can switch my local repo to that one Smiley?

Dia
Yes, please do, and if things go well, we can have a new default kernel for GCN Wink
And thank you for the code. Now what advantage is there to reordering the variables passed to the kernel? In commit d86a38d1e75090e1ffb9df9e68aa13b1c8dcf9ec you shuffled arguments which appear to be mostly cosmetic. Would that be right?

That's true for the most part when reordering kernel-arguments to be in line with usage of them in the code, but I think it's part of a clean code, don't you think so?

So you created a new DiaKGCN branch, will this last so I can switch my local repo to that one Smiley?

Dia

Dia
Tried it, much slower.

Dia
-ck
legendary
Ruu \o/
-ck
legendary
Ruu \o/

Dia
Tried it, much slower.

Dia
Hmm what do the 58xx report their name as? Cypress? It sounds like cgminer should default them to worksize 256 instead of 128. Would that be a fair assessment?

Should be Cypress, yes. Dunno, what would be the best WORKSIZE default though ...

Dia
Vbs
Activity: 504
Yes I remember this old graph. It would appear to me that cgminer's defaults of v2 w128 are the most robust for all tunings unless the user goes out of his way to tweak things manually, in which case he'll be choosing his own settings, thanks.

Yeah, exactly. Just updated my post to reflect that too. Smiley
-ck
legendary
Ruu \o/
Hmm what do the 58xx report their name as? Cypress? It sounds like cgminer should default them to worksize 256 instead of 128. Would that be a fair assessment?

Yeah, it's Cypress.

The best worksize really depends on the user correctly setting the ram clock; on the default (1GHz), it's best 64 or 128 with 4 vectors.

Yes I remember this old graph. It would appear to me that cgminer's defaults of v2 w128 are the most robust for all tunings unless the user goes out of his way to tweak things manually, in which case he'll be choosing his own settings, thanks.
Vbs
Activity: 504

Yeah, it's Cypress.

The best worksize really depends on the user correctly setting the ram clock; on the default (1GHz), it's best 64 or 128 with 4 vectors.

V2-W128 is the "safe" bet, since it's almost constant through ram speeds.

V2-W256 is always better than V2-W128 for ram speeds <~425MHz, because even on dips (bad gpu/mem ratio) it's always faster.

Activity: 784
Merit: 1009
firstbits:1MinerQ
Hi

I make the Icarus work with cgminer. why I do this, because cgminer is pure C. since I will try to run cgminer in a home router like TP-LINK WR1043ND(400Mhz. 32MB memory. 8MB flash). python miner needs much space. for example it's needs about ~10MB under OpenWrt. so for those
kind of device I would like using cgminer.

The source code is here: (under 'icarus' branch)
  https://github.com/xiangfu/cgminer/tree/icarus

The OpenWrt package Makefile is here:
  http://qi-hw.com/p/openwrt-packages/622aa44

Xiangfu
Awesome to see this. I hope to look at this and adapt to my own project too.
Jump to: