Pages:
Author

Topic: Oil Submerged Configurations Discussion Thread - page 2. (Read 13724 times)

Activity: 714
Merit: 500
i`m also watching this for my GPU Farm.. although it sounds very expensive for multiple PC rigs
Activity: 826
Merit: 1001
FOOKING AWESOME IDEA there BEN.  Grin

Capacity? 40 - 60 litres

LOL. Yeah, ideas start brilliant, then you really think and question

• how to get the old washing powder residu out of the system
  • will the hoses cope with the mineral oil
  • input of the pump is on the bottom where the 'cold' oil is

On the other hand,
  • it should be water tight
  • there is a pump to circulate the oil
Activity: 924
Merit: 1000
FOOKING AWESOME IDEA there BEN.  Grin

Capacity? 40 - 60 litres
Activity: 826
Merit: 1001
I just have a brilliant idea...
How about an old washing machine, top loader ?

There's been some transformer oil leakage in my country from smaller, local, transformers and has been reported in the press as environmental danger, also mentioning cancerous effects, etc. Were these reports FUD or is there really some medical issues from being in contact with it? I plan to keep miner in my home and don't want any medical risk to my family (if there is one at all).

No PCBs in the oil we are talking. I personally won't be using anything like that. If any doubt I will go with mineral oil (baby oil) non-toxic. We are also designing the heat exchanger so it will go outside so no worries about that room filling with heat. Like a split air conditioning unit.
m5
Activity: 82
Merit: 0
I have had a mineral oil setup for my FPGAs for over a year. Total wattage  is ~65 and the temperature was OK @37-42c ish depending on ambient . Heat syncs are mandatory and so is forced convection (one fan to keep the oil moving) otherwise the hot oil seems to stay around the heat source and does not flow away like you would think because the oil is thick.  I planned on reusing the setup for a BFL single but that won't be happening since they came nowhere close to their power goals. I may try building a new one just because I enjoyed building it. For the much higher wattage it would need a complete redesign and much more oil and more metal/glass/acrylic to transfer heat from the oil to outside the case. Unless you are doing it for fun it is not really worth the expenditure.  Water blocks is probably the better route... but look nowhere as cool (or as silent).
These guys http://www.pugetsystems.com/mineral-oil-pc.php have been running entire PC for few years in a miral oil and their findings are that the oil can easily transfer the heat from CPU even without any pumps. Although the CPU was quite hot (88 degress C), it was running stable which means the heat transfer from it was fast enough (it won't work reliably at 88deg in air). They also noted that bubble of air help to transfer the heat.
But don't forget that oil can only help you to move the heat away from the chips (so you can do more overclocking), but it still heats the room where it is located, so it won't you save anything on A/C for example.
legendary
Activity: 1974
Merit: 1076
^ Will code for Bitcoins
There's been some transformer oil leakage in my country from smaller, local, transformers and has been reported in the press as environmental danger, also mentioning cancerous effects, etc. Were these reports FUD or is there really some medical issues from being in contact with it? I plan to keep miner in my home and don't want any medical risk to my family (if there is one at all).
I think the carnojet DOES NOT use proprietary oils... infact all it is unscented mineral oil from what I get off their website.

Looking at tanks have to be careful of the plastic in the tank due to potential temperature spikes.
Activity: 125
Merit: 100
Distilled at 200C smell removed... according to the article.

Code:
Coconut oil contains odor and tasting compounds, which are actually
low boiling compounds. Inclusion of such compounds with low boiling point
builds a pressure in the transformer at operation where the temperature rises
normally above 60°C. Deodorization removes odor and taste of coconut oil and
is done by steam distillation at 200°C.

To remove saponificable matter and colorings in coconut oil, a
bleaching process was carried out by using activated clay.

Sounds like a good solution then... provided you can distill it properly... and limit usage to tropical climate... if the ambient temp is 15C or so, and your rig is shut down for a day or so.. the coconut oil will start greasing up inside the radiators, tubes, etc... Shouldnt be an issue for indonesia...

Reading further can be used in cold climate as well... as they can reduce the pour temp significantly... but I won't be concerned about that here in Jakarta. Although a purified Coconut Oil will be best. Not sure on cost difference between that transformer oil and mineral oil. Will start checking.

I'd stick to synthetic transformer oil, little to no degrading under the heat computers generate.  Although the carnojet system claims to use a "proprietary" coolant, I believe what they use is opticool made by DSI ventures.  I've been meaning to get in touch with them as they're close, however I have a ready supply of the 76 transformer oil here.

Code:

Sounds like a good solution then... provided you can distill it properly... and limit usage to tropical climate... if the ambient temp is 15C or so, and your rig is shut down for a day or so.. the coconut oil will start greasing up inside the radiators, tubes, etc... Shouldnt be an issue for indonesia...

Reading further can be used in cold climate as well... as they can reduce the pour temp significantly... but I won't be concerned about that here in Jakarta. Although a purified Coconut Oil will be best. Not sure on cost difference between that transformer oil and mineral oil. Will start checking.
Activity: 322
Merit: 250
Supersonic

Code:

Code:

Activity: 322
Merit: 250
Supersonic
You mean you can't remove parts (de-solder) and then re-flow a PCB after being in oil? In case you want to replace a blown QFN chip. Thanks!

Nice info on the heat gun and drip tray thanks. Be picking your brain more and more.

Need to have a catch tray and rack will think about some sort of caddying on wheels for this.

What about palm or coconut oil? We have bulk amount here in Indonesia wondering if that would be possible? Confirmed and Tested.

http://www.elect.mrt.ac.lk/Coconut_oil_eru_2001.pdf

Code:
Considering all the above facts, we can conclude that coconut oil can be
used as transformer oil. However further tests need to be done under actual
operating conditions. Coconut oil is freely available in Sri Lanka and it may
become cheaper than other transformer oil. Most importantly it is 100%
environmental friendly, hence it can be easily used as an alternative to
traditional transformer oil.

But be prepared for the smell Smiley
Fabrication costs here are low very very low so I am sure I can have something welded up to any specifications I want.

Ya looking at that Green Revolution Carnojet system the tank actually has cabling and racking solution built into the tank. I want to do a smaller build as I will have this inside on the 3rd floor of my school (empty 3rd floor) and I definitely do not want to be running A/C all day and night to cool even a modest number of units for now but want to be able to scale up from 5U or 10U simply adding the tank and racking that can be modular like a data center racking system but easily handled by kids. I think this project will be added to our curriculum as well for second semester so many interesting aspects to be covered and it lines up perfectly with so many aspect in the science curriculum it is scary!

Thanks again. I will put up a rough design soon as I think given the posts you made I am pretty confident I can acquire pretty much everything I need in very little time and at very reasonable costs.
No it would be 10 X 1U units of K256.

Have a roughed out design for blades that are 4 x K64s daisy chained.

The prototype will be 2 x 1U (K256) total 512 chips in a blade configuration or 1U server pan then suspended in a tank that can support 5U to 10U rack.

Minor recommendation, lay the rack on its back.  In fact avoid using off the shelf racks.  Just weld together the structure with some 1" to 1.5", 1/4" thick angle for a rack and frame.  Then weld sheets on for sides of the tank and you're good to go.   The reason I say avoid off the shelf racks is that most are only structurally designed to be run vertically.  Further horizontal affords servicing of individual machines without the need to drain the tank.  You can assemble a pretty nice 41U tank for ~$800 USD.  This will require ~350 gallons of transformer oil, which will run you ~$4k delivered.   I would test the tank with water prior to filling as water is less viscous and namely cheaper.  So for each rack you're looking at about $5k + (cost of tower / number of racks).  When you compare that with the costs of AC, especially in high power density applications, the initial cost is about 1.5x higher, however the fact you can cool 250kw with 10kw of cooling equipment is unbeatable.   In an air environment you're looking at power costs approximately equal to that of the equipment you're running.
You mean you can't remove parts (de-solder) and then re-flow a PCB after being in oil? In case you want to replace a blown QFN chip. Thanks!

Nice info on the heat gun and drip tray thanks. Be picking your brain more and more.

Need to have a catch tray and rack will think about some sort of caddying on wheels for this.

What about palm or coconut oil? We have bulk amount here in Indonesia wondering if that would be possible? Confirmed and Tested.

http://www.elect.mrt.ac.lk/Coconut_oil_eru_2001.pdf

Code:
Considering all the above facts, we can conclude that coconut oil can be
used as transformer oil. However further tests need to be done under actual
operating conditions. Coconut oil is freely available in Sri Lanka and it may
become cheaper than other transformer oil. Most importantly it is 100%
environmental friendly, hence it can be easily used as an alternative to
traditional transformer oil.
No it would be 10 X 1U units of K256.

Have a roughed out design for blades that are 4 x K64s daisy chained.

The prototype will be 2 x 1U (K256) total 512 chips in a blade configuration or 1U server pan then suspended in a tank that can support 5U to 10U rack.
Activity: 70
Merit: 10

K256 X 10 = 2560 chips roughly 1,024,000 Mh/s if you can attain 400+ Mh/s per chip mineral oil cooled.
K256 X 10 = 2560 chips roughly 896,000 Mh/s if you can attain 350 per chip air cooled with a/c.

There is definitely potential in this.

So continuing on... anyone found problems with the silicone heat sink pads and mineral oil?

I think next I want to mock up is a 5U capacity tank, heat exchanger / cooling tower.

You should have no problem with silicone compatibility with mineral oil. How many boards do you plan on putting in a 5u? K256 x 10 would be 160 boards Is this your plan?
Pages:
Jump to: