Pages:
Author

Topic: On the cover page of The Economist - page 3. (Read 3717 times)

legendary
Activity: 1862
Merit: 1004
October 31, 2015, 01:18:47 PM
Do you realize what exact words are they using on the cover? It is not: Bitcoin can change the world - instead it is - How technology BEHIND bitcoin (I assume: blockchain) can change world.
This is a huge difference.
legendary
Activity: 1890
Merit: 1078
Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer
October 31, 2015, 01:12:18 PM
I thought it should read "The trustless machine"? There is no trust in bitcoin, as it is not needed.

That is a common misconception (that Adam Back has mentioned several times) - you have to trust the network (if all your nodes are feeding you a fork then as far as you know that is the correct blockchain).
Activity: 28
Merit: 0
October 31, 2015, 01:10:39 PM
Nice that Bitcoin gets some free advertising.

Bitcoin? No. Blockchain? Yes.

The actual story on Bitcoin in the Economist doesn't hail Bitcoin as a currency, it appreciates the blockchain technology behind it and predicts that banks and other businesses can create their own blockchains for whatever use they see fit.

Yes. The article is mainly about the blockchain technology. It also mentioned Ethereum, which is block chain as well as a platform for many usages.
legendary
Activity: 1526
Merit: 1034
October 31, 2015, 12:39:13 PM

Bitcoin? No. Blockchain? Yes.

The actual story on Bitcoin in the Economist doesn't hail Bitcoin as a currency, it appreciates the blockchain technology behind it and predicts that banks and other businesses can create their own blockchains for whatever use they see fit.
legendary
Activity: 924
Merit: 1000
TokenHouse decentralized cryptocurrency exchange
October 31, 2015, 12:36:45 PM
legendary
Activity: 2912
Merit: 1852
October 31, 2015, 12:32:38 PM
Wow guys, this is a huge freaking news! You have to earn a right to be in this magazine, let alone to be on the cover page! This will introduce Bitcoin to the higher class, more eminent people that are reading the Economist!

I can only say that Bitcoin is in a fifth gear when it comes to promotion, adoption and acknowledgement by the masses!

Yes, the demographics of the people (high education, high income) who read The Economist are very favorable for us hoping that Bitcoin gains the exposure we need "to get BTC into fifth gear" (nicely put, MickeyB).

That magazine is read all over the world by rich & connected people.  Many of them will be taking a look at BTC if only out of curiosity.  And some of them will become heavy hitters.

Indeed, this is very good news as so many of you above have written.  Smiley
Pab
legendary
Activity: 1862
Merit: 1012
October 31, 2015, 10:20:58 AM
It's great to have an article in the Economist about bitcoin. Not quite, mostly about blockchain technology. I believe this could be a better approach to have economists (people) appreciate bitcoin. Most have debunked bitcoin for it's deflationary properties.

The article talks about nothing bitcoiners wouldn't know:

...But most unfair of all is that bitcoin’s shady image causes people to overlook the extraordinary potential of the “blockchain”, the technology that underpins it. This innovation carries a significance stretching far beyond cryptocurrency. The blockchain lets people who have no particular confidence in each other collaborate without having to go through a neutral central authority. Simply put, it is a machine for creating trust.

Direct link:
http://www.economist.com/news/leaders/21677198-technology-behind-bitcoin-could-transform-how-economy-works-trust-machine

Via Google if site wouldn't let you read the article:
https://www.google.com/search?q=The+trust+machine+site%3Aeconomist.com&oq=The+trust+machine+site%3Aeconomist.com

Thanks for direct link,good article.Economist is readed all over the world not only in Europe.Will bring some people attention to btc. and his technology,finally press is not talking about btc price,scandals but about technology
People are tired of centralised economys and thay dont trust banks anymore

legendary
Activity: 1358
Merit: 1014
October 31, 2015, 09:53:52 AM
The first time I knew about bitcoin was about 3 years, I read an article in The Economist. I did not take it seriously. The bitcoin has grown a lot since then.

The first time I found out about Bitcoin 3 years ago, I too was an occasional reader of The Economist. I stopped taking The Economist seriously.

Lol, I also found out about Bitcoin 3 years ago because I saw it on TV. They were talking about how it was a tool for terrorist and drug dealers on the "dark web" and the price was at about 700 dollars the first time I ever opened Bitcoinwisdom.com. Good ol times. Luckily i saw the light and stuck around waiting for a lower price to buy as much as possible. I knew even at 1.2K was insanely underrated.
legendary
Activity: 3430
Merit: 3074
October 31, 2015, 07:16:29 AM
The first time I knew about bitcoin was about 3 years, I read an article in The Economist. I did not take it seriously. The bitcoin has grown a lot since then.

The first time I found out about Bitcoin 3 years ago, I too was an occasional reader of The Economist. I stopped taking The Economist seriously.
legendary
Activity: 1036
/dev/null
October 31, 2015, 06:52:20 AM
great article in very reputable magazine, which is impacting more or less potential buyers/investors. I bet that current price grow is related to this..
legendary
Activity: 2424
Merit: 1147
October 31, 2015, 06:47:46 AM
I would like to find it somewhere on the Internet to read it. Is it published online too?
This is the kind of news we need.

V Here

It's great to have an article in the Economist about bitcoin. Not quite, mostly about blockchain technology. I believe this could be a better approach to have economists (people) appreciate bitcoin. Most have debunked bitcoin for it's deflationary properties.

Direct link:
http://www.economist.com/news/leaders/21677198-technology-behind-bitcoin-could-transform-how-economy-works-trust-machine
legendary
Activity: 924
Merit: 1002
October 31, 2015, 06:43:10 AM
I would like to find it somewhere on the Internet to read it. Is it published online too?
This is the kind of news we need.
legendary
Activity: 2424
Merit: 1147
October 31, 2015, 05:38:39 AM
This is great! Published today we shall see what comes out it, reading now...

Its a good article starts off negative ends very well!
Activity: 798
Move On !!!!!!
October 31, 2015, 05:08:15 AM
Wow guys, this is a huge freaking news! You have to earn a right to be in this magazine, let alone to be on the cover page! This will introduce Bitcoin to the higher class, more eminent people that are reading the Economist!

I can only say that Bitcoin is in a fifth gear when it comes to promotion, adoption and acknowledgement by the masses!
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1073
October 31, 2015, 05:03:26 AM
This is bigger than many people might think... They have over 1.5 million average weekly circulation and more or less 50% of that is sold in the U.S.A

They also have about 11 million twitter followers and about 6 million Facebook followers and +/- 10 million Google Plus followers.  Cool

We are not talking about the local news paper here... The viewers are mostly financial and highly educated people with loads of money to invest.  Wink
legendary
Activity: 3542
Merit: 1352
Cashback 15%
October 31, 2015, 04:00:24 AM
I thought it should read "The trustless machine"? There is no trust in bitcoin, as it is not needed.

It is trustless because you do not need to rely the validity of a certain transaction in a central hub but rather on a network of decentralized computers and machines.
Activity: 28
Merit: 0
October 31, 2015, 03:39:55 AM
vip
Activity: 1428
Merit: 1145
October 30, 2015, 10:43:15 PM

To people who are not familiar with this magazine, it's very highly regarded everywhere in Europe. It's British and more than 150 years old. I bet this cover page alone is worth a rise of at least 3% in BTC's price. The article is also available online but you need to register.

http://www.economist.com/

From the same source that once displayed Sonny Vleisides' ad many blood moons ago:

Activity: 196
Merit: 100
Digital Credits
October 30, 2015, 09:58:54 PM
It's the blockchain that the financial world loves, I don't think they will ever embrace Bitcoin in any serious way. When Wall Street discusses Bitcoin, the always use the term BlockChain. Maybe Bitcoin should chnage their name to BlockCoin or something, lol. 
legendary
Activity: 2282
Merit: 1023
October 30, 2015, 09:49:58 PM
Pages:
Jump to: