Pages:
Author

Topic: Open Bitcoin Store: Free bitcoin online stores - page 4. (Read 17247 times)

Activity: 784
Merit: 1009
firstbits:1MinerQ
I'm currently selling belts on bitmit but I'd like to expand and could try this out as a solution. Is it ready for me to deploy myself or do you still do the deploy? Either way I'd like to try it and can act as a beta tester too.
Activity: 196
Merit: 116
Entrepreneur, coder, hacker, pundit, humanist.

aantonop : I think you mean your github link in OP to go here https://github.com/openbitcoinstore/openbitcoinstore no?
[/quote]

Thank you. I had since moved the code to its own organization, since this got a lot more "real" after I posted that message!

I'll correct it immediately

Ahh, I see... I thought you were making a separate platform to interface with Wordpress. My bad...

No, I'm not that ambitious ;-)

I'm only streamlining the minimal viable setup for a bitcoin store.

By the way, I think your CoinGig initiative is great. I don't think I'm "competing" with you because once a store becomes even slightly successful, it will probably migrate to a platform with tech support and professional backing, such as yours.

I'm trying to fill a different niche, really, which is for the open-source barebones equivalent. Just lowering the barrier to bitcoin retail commerce.

We're working to the same goal, and I hope you are very successful!
legendary
Activity: 3920
Merit: 2349
Eadem mutata resurgo

aantonop : I think you mean your github link in OP to go here https://github.com/openbitcoinstore/openbitcoinstore no?
Wow. Great initiative! I'll be sure to set up a store for a test drive when it's available.

The beta test is available now. Do you have time and interest to test a store? If yes, I will have one up for you ASAP.
Activity: 529
Merit: 500
Wow. Great initiative! I'll be sure to set up a store for a test drive when it's available.
Activity: 490
... it only gets better...
Good luck, this is a hell of a task! Took us two month of full time + overtime work to get us where we are at www.coingig.com What's your language of choice?

It's not new code, it is just pre-integrated and customized Wordpress store. Wordpress is PHP. Not a language choice, as this is targeted for store owners who will not "open the hood" of their store. Wordpress is accessible, broadly documented and has a huge community, so that makes it easier for people to learn the interface and manage the content.

We have got it working to the point where we can launch a basic store in one minute and have it live with products for sale in less than an hour. It's manual process and I need help automating it, but it works.

Ahh, I see... I thought you were making a separate platform to interface with Wordpress. My bad...
Some FAQ clarification

All the stores also support credit card payments through merchant accounts, paypal or Google wallet.

They also support bitcoin transactions via Bitpay.

You can price your products in fiat (USD, EUR), or in bitcoin
You can sell the products in fiat (USD, EUR), or in bitcoin
You can also accept credit cards...

Other questions that come up often:

Q: Does OpenBitcoinStore support PayPal
A: Yes

Q: Does OpenBitcoinStore support credit cards through a merchant account
A: Yes

Q: Does OpenBitcoinStore support multiple currencies
A: Yes, hundreds

Q: Does it handle intangible products
A: Yes, both downloadable and intangible

Q: Does OpenBitcoinStore support shipping charges
A: Yes, the stores have shipping modules, up to complex multi-shipper, global shipping with weight and fixed rates

Q: Does OpenBitcoinStore support sales tax
A: Yes, origin, destination or both.

Q: How is OpenBitcoinStore free?
A: The code is open source, the hosting can be free for small sites via Heroku or AWS t1.micro

Q: Is there a transaction fee?
A: No, you run and manage the store. If Bitpay charges you a fee, that's between you and them. If you host it somewhere you have to pay, that's you. But OpenBitcoinStore is just code, no hosting, no fees. It really is free

Q: How much will it cost to try out and find out if anyone is interested in buying my products
A: That's the point: NOTHING. Try it for no risk or cost.

Q: Why are you doing this?
A: Because I want to see bitcoin succeed for broad commerce, not just drugs and illicit products

Good luck, this is a hell of a task! Took us two month of full time + overtime work to get us where we are at www.coingig.com What's your language of choice?

It's not new code, it is just pre-integrated and customized Wordpress store. Wordpress is PHP. Not a language choice, as this is targeted for store owners who will not "open the hood" of their store. Wordpress is accessible, broadly documented and has a huge community, so that makes it easier for people to learn the interface and manage the content.

We have got it working to the point where we can launch a basic store in one minute and have it live with products for sale in less than an hour. It's manual process and I need help automating it, but it works.

Can you store virtual goods on the Server to have them delivered automatically once payment completes?

Yes. At least one of the store modules does downloadable or intangible products.
Activity: 490
... it only gets better...
legendary
Activity: 1734
Merit: 1015
Can you store virtual goods on the Server to have them delivered automatically once payment completes?
legendary
Activity: 3920
Merit: 2349
Eadem mutata resurgo
Interesting project.
I would kill for a good Bitcoin Wordpress shopping solution.

No need to kill. There's one available and it's entirely FREE.

Would you like a Woocommerce and bitpay enabled site turned on for you to play with?

I'll PM you a URL right away...
Activity: 798
Merit: 1000
www.DonateMedia.org
I would kill for a good Bitcoin Wordpress shopping solution.
READY FOR MORE BETA TESTERS!

Things are going well and we have two stores in pre-launch testing.

Who wants a FREE STORE?

The tests indicate that Woo Commerce is the favorite. I have FIVE stores ready to go for beta testers.

I will definitely need some WordPress help.

Heroku is free, so alternative would have to also be free. The whole package (WP+store+bitpay modules) will be open, so if people want to host on VPS or AWS or elsewhere, that's easy to do.

Activity: 7
Merit: 0
I can help with Wordpress if you need something.

I don't care about Heroku at all, would rather have a deployment system that works with better clouds or a plain-old VPS.

Easy enough. I'll work on it tomorrow.

EDIT: I've got a very pared down version of my store set up.

I have tested three store products now and they all work, with varying levels of success:

a) Wordpress + Wordpress E-Commerce + Bitpay (fiat prices or bitcoin prices, bitcoin payment)
b) Wordpress + Woocommerce + Bitpay (fiat prices or bitcoin prices, bitcoin payment)
c) Wordpress + ECWID + Bitpay  (fiat prices, bitcoin payment).

I have deployed a test store for emorydunn (link in private message). Anyone else want to try one of the above stores, send me a PM and I will deploy it for you. They take about 1 minute to deploy.
Activity: 17
Merit: 0
Well, the first thing you can do is to build a little test version of your shop inside ecwid:

I'll document these steps more thoroughly, as part of the new shop owner manual, but in the meantime, you can try them and let me know if any parts are difficult or need more documentation.

The best part of this, is that when you do a beta, you link it to *this* store on ecwid. So any work you do, will be available as your store when we create a hosted instance. Basically, all your work will show up, so you can actually put in the real information and it won't be wasted work.

a) Setup a free account with ecwid.com  (it's not a demo, it's a working shop for up to 10 products.

Probably the easiest is to use an existing account ID, such as a Google, Paypal, etc. It will not re-use or "learn" your password for these services, it will simply ask them to identify you.

Go here: https://my.ecwid.com/cp/

b) Create a few categories, by visiting the Catalog/Categories section. Your store comes with sample categories, you can delete those.

c) Create some products, by visiting the Catalog/Products section.

d) Check out your demo site at, by clicking on the "Visit Store Front" on the side.

Easy enough. I'll work on it tomorrow.

EDIT: I've got a very pared down version of my store set up.
Pages:
Jump to: