Pages:
Author

Topic: [OpenSource live USB OS] BitSafe, a safety deposit box for your bitcoins. - page 2. (Read 19491 times)

Activity: 797
Merit: 1017
I like the idea of BitSafe, but theres security vulnerabilities being patched all the time.  I feel more comfortable using a live cd built specifically for security and anonymity.

Being for 99.9% a Debain stable distribution, I have very little to say about security updates and patches. I deliberately choose stable over testing for that specific reason.
That said, the main purpose of this software is to give the most secure environment to keep your bitcoin, anonymity is more about using them in a safe way, so I think it will always be secondary. If your priorities are different than you probably need something else  Smiley
Activity: 742
Merit: 500
I've started using a Tails Live CD and an encrypted flash drive with scripts similar to what you wrote for BitSafe.  I like the idea of BitSafe, but theres security vulnerabilities being patched all the time.  I feel more comfortable using a live cd built specifically for security and anonymity.
Activity: 350
Merit: 250
Is anyone able to suggest a fast USB drive suitable for this?   

Here's a brief list:

Lexar JumpDrive Lightning II
Transcend JetFlash
OCZ Rally2 Turbo
Corsair Voyager GT (rugged!)
Silicon Power LuxMini 920
Sandisk Cruzer Contour

You can check the speeds for almost any usb drive at http://usbflashspeed.com/
Activity: 350
Is anyone able to suggest a fast USB drive suitable for this?   
I noticed your pull request on GitHub. I think that, given the different requirements, electrum needs a different tailored build.
On top of that, there's no point IMHO to have both electrum and the bitcoin client on the same image.
Activity: 252
I can send you a pull request to also include Electrum, would that be ok? (see more here: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/bitsafe-fork-with-electrum-included-54376 )
New beta version released. The only real change is the updated cliento to V0.5.2. More feature will come as soon as I figure out how to fix this damned transparent TOR routing.
I'll release a version with the last official client within tomorrow.
Activity: 798
Merit: 1000
Bump...   Be nice to have a new version,  if only for the latest bitcoin client Smiley
Any interest in this with Armory installed?  Armory is heavier weight right now than I think BitSafe was originally designed, but it looks like an awesome client.
Hi! No, development hasn't stopped. To upgrade the bitcoin client to 5.1 you have to rebuild the image, it's an easy task but you need a functional debian system to do that, which doesn't seem to be your case. Just wait my next release  Smiley
I'll wait, just wasn't sure if development had stopped...
Stupid question alert!

I'm not good with Linux.  At all.   How do I go about updating bitcoin to 0.5.1 in this installation?

Thanks Cheesy
If you aren't good with linux.  Wait until rb1205 comes out with a new IMG for you to use. That, or start learning Smiley
Stupid question alert!

I'm not good with Linux.  At all.   How do I go about updating bitcoin to 0.5.1 in this installation?

Thanks Cheesy

What would you suggest to use on a Mac? I tried Disk Utility and I got: "Restore Failure - Could not validate source - Invalid argument"

I found this miniguide, as said you should be able to use dd as on Linux, but you have to unmount the device first.
Oh yeah. I forgot about that step.  Un-mounting the flash drive should let dd work.  Don't eject it though.

What would you suggest to use on a Mac? I tried Disk Utility and I got: "Restore Failure - Could not validate source - Invalid argument"

I found this miniguide, as said you should be able to use dd as on Linux, but you have to unmount the device first.
Download the Binary Image file and flash it on your drive.

On Linux: sudo dd if=/path/to/binary.img of=/dev/sdX (where sdX is the name of your device)
On Windows: I recommend Image Writer. You'll need to launch it as administrator. Go pick the downloaded binary.img file, choose the letter of the drive you wish to install bitsafe on and press "Write".

Thanks!

Use dd.  Mac's have it and it should work exactly the same as on linux.
Activity: 136
Merit: 100
Download the Binary Image file and flash it on your drive.

On Linux: sudo dd if=/path/to/binary.img of=/dev/sdX (where sdX is the name of your device)
On Windows: I recommend Image Writer. You'll need to launch it as administrator. Go pick the downloaded binary.img file, choose the letter of the drive you wish to install bitsafe on and press "Write".

Thanks!

Activity: 154
Merit: 101
Bitcoin!
Interesting project.
Pages:
Jump to: