Pages:
Author

Topic: Ordinals website is under a DDoS attack - page 2. (Read 354 times)

legendary
Activity: 1568
Merit: 6660
bitcoincleanup.com / bitmixlist.org
December 28, 2023, 07:30:15 AM
Ordinals website being under DDoS attack is ironically funny to me, as many view ordinals as a "DDoS attack" on Bitcoin. A lot of people on that Twitter post are claiming it is valid TCP/IP packet traffic, so instead of it being a DDoS, perhaps the website was just over flooded by normal visitors and the website architecture could not handle it due to an unprofessional setup? I am by no means an expert, so perhaps someone could investigate that matter a bit further?

You could send a million HTTP requests per second but with invalid data and non-existent URLs, and that would technically be a Layer-7 DDoS. It's the one Cloudflare protects from so it makes sense that Cloudflare is showing a rate-limiting screen on the Ordinals website. It does mean that the site is not receiving the full force of the traffic because it is intercepted at Cloudflare first, but it's still innaccessible nevertheless.
Activity: 476
Merit: 283
December 28, 2023, 07:27:11 AM
and if you think regulators are interested in consumer protections. they would be looking to put scammer in prison not the people trying to stop scam websites for publishing junky scams

Exactly, regulators don't care about consumer protection.
People complain every day about 1xbit and 1xbet but nothing is done about it. In fact, 1xbet sponsors some of the biggest sporting clubs and competitions while a lot of complaints about consumer fraud are neglected by the only people who can do something about it.

If customers of banned mixers had complained that mixers were defrauding them of money somehow, nothing would have been done about it.
legendary
Activity: 3080
Merit: 1500
December 28, 2023, 07:18:16 AM
DDos attack is illegal, for sure!  But for the first time Ordinals are getting a taste of their own medicine. These ordinals have spammed the entire Bitcoin network with there nonsense NFTs which pushed the transaction fees to a level where commoners like us have stopped transactions in Bitcoin. So Ordinals are bad for the future of Bitcoin.

Couple of weeks back I was seeing some discussion that Bitcoin Devs are planning to push out Ordinals from the Bitcoin network. Eagerly waiting for this to happen!
Activity: 280
Merit: 552
In ₿ we trust
December 28, 2023, 07:16:21 AM
We are in a crypto war, who wants ordinals versus who doesn't want ordinals.

The answer to all the pollution and sky-high network fees is this attack.

and we move on to the next chapters of all this... Who will win?

I have my guess: people who don't like ordinals
legendary
Activity: 2030
Merit: 1643
Verified Bitcoin Hodler
December 28, 2023, 07:01:25 AM
Before I begin sharing this news, let me tell you something. In life, you're going to make stuff. And there will always be some people who hate your stuff, enough to launch a botnet DDoS attack to try to take down your service.

I myself know this firsthand, from experience. But what you should never do is take down your web resource if you truly believe that it is something used for good.

Now here is the scoop: https://x.com/rodarmor/status/1740080342957277612

Obviously the general sentiment here is that we don't like Ordinals (heck, even my 100 sats/vB transactions are getting stuck in traffic now). but DDoS is illegal.

Using a botnet for carrying out DDoS is illegal.

Infecting average people's computers, phones, smart TVs, fridges, and other devices to make them pay for DDoS attacks are illegal.

How companies are not lobbying for regulation for preventing these kinds of activities is gravity-defying.

Ordinals website being under DDoS attack is ironically funny to me, as many view ordinals as a "DDoS attack" on Bitcoin. A lot of people on that Twitter post are claiming it is valid TCP/IP packet traffic, so instead of it being a DDoS, perhaps the website was just over flooded by normal visitors and the website architecture could not handle it due to an unprofessional setup? I am by no means an expert, so perhaps someone could investigate that matter a bit further?

Either way, I really do not care whether the ordinal website is under attack or not. Ordinals should not be allowed in the first place. It is a parasitic existence.

legendary
Activity: 2870
Merit: 7490
Crypto Swap Exchange
December 28, 2023, 06:48:30 AM
What they could gain from DDoS attack?

I'd speculate the attacker want to send certain message (e.g. they hate Ordinals).

if they didn't hack the smart contract they won't able to access the tokens and make money from it.

FWIW Bitcoin doesn't have smart contract and token/inscription actually just Bitcoin UTXO.

It's also not going to make people can't send their tokens, right?

Yes, there are many other website and wallet which let you interact with Ordinals.
Activity: 602
Merit: 638
December 28, 2023, 05:34:50 AM
This is serious. On the other side of the hate that people get for a certain development, what will one get from attacking someone's website?

And those attacking those who gather to launch the attack, do they think if they bring the site down, the popularity of Ordina will also be brought down or the entire project will crash? I don't think that will ever happen. I see those doing that as not having good stuff to do with the resources they have in their hands.

Are you one of the attacker? /jk.

He is not one of the attackers, but he was a victim of the attack just recently on his new detail launch site, which has detailed information about mixers, how they work, and everything you need to know about most of the platforms with mixing services listed there. [ANN] BitMixList.org: Bitcoin Mixer List
Activity: 448
Merit: 271
Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!
December 28, 2023, 05:21:42 AM
Spending money to organise a DDOS attack will only make the person or the organization doing it empty from pocket. The cannot achieve anything out os such attack as the website does not hold anything crucial for the Ordinals to stop exploiting the Bitcoin network. They price of ORDI won't stop going up and the Bitcoin transaction fees won't come down. Nothing will change except the website would shut down for few days or hours.
Activity: 1428
Merit: 308
★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!
December 28, 2023, 03:47:26 AM
How companies are not lobbying for regulation for preventing these kinds of activities is gravity-defying.
That's because there are companies that are benefiting from these attacks so it's counterproductive if it's solved plus botnets are difficult to track down anyways and the resources that you spend on finding them isn't that viable to maintain not to mention that there's also people out there that are making bank maintaining botnets or creating botnets I think so there's just no end to this because this isn't really the kind of crime borne out of desperation and with that baseless conclusions, I do believe that it's better off that websites improve their security when it comes to DDoS attacks, I guess some guy or gal out there is just so tired of these ordinals.
legendary
Activity: 4214
Merit: 4458
December 28, 2023, 03:40:50 AM
and there was rodamor months ago saying he stepped aside from his own creation.. but is first to cry out when his victims are denied access and no longer able to see his scam in action

if accessing peoples computers to then send data out was illegal then 99.9% of all apps on apple/google play store would be banned. yet every day they run and use peoples data for multitude of reasons

heck even tor would be illegal if routing data through peoples computers to access certain servers was illegal

and if you think regulators are interested in consumer protections. they would be looking to put scammer in prison not the people trying to stop scam websites for publishing junky scams
copper member
Activity: 1330
Merit: 899
🖤😏
December 28, 2023, 03:37:59 AM
Finally some good news, they should be DDOSed to oblivion, I don't care about the legality of DDOSing etc, if it's bad for the things you mentioned, yes we should call it that, but when it's used to cut the access of leeches to Bitcoin, it's a good thing. Here are some kisses for the attacker. 😘😗😘😗 Bitcoin refuses to be a submissive little bitch.
Activity: 574
Merit: 566
December 28, 2023, 03:30:19 AM
Are you one of the attacker? /jk.

What they could gain from DDoS attack? if they didn't hack the smart contract they won't able to access the tokens and make money from it.

It's also not going to make people can't send their tokens, right?
legendary
Activity: 1568
Merit: 6660
bitcoincleanup.com / bitmixlist.org
December 28, 2023, 02:37:45 AM
Before I begin sharing this news, let me tell you something. In life, you're going to make stuff. And there will always be some people who hate your stuff, enough to launch a botnet DDoS attack to try to take down your service.

I myself know this firsthand, from experience. But what you should never do is take down your web resource if you truly believe that it is something used for good.

Now here is the scoop: https://x.com/rodarmor/status/1740080342957277612

Obviously the general sentiment here is that we don't like Ordinals (heck, even my 100 sats/vB transactions are getting stuck in traffic now). but DDoS is illegal.

Using a botnet for carrying out DDoS is illegal.

Infecting average people's computers, phones, smart TVs, fridges, and other devices to make them pay for DDoS attacks are illegal.

Pages:
Jump to: