Pages:
Author

Topic: p2pool - Decentralized, Absolutely DoS-Proof, Pool Hopping-Proof Pool [archival] - page 2. (Read 35481 times)

donator
Activity: 798
Merit: 500
The best indicators of paid work are Shares: X and Payout if block: BTC from p2pool.  Shares is how many shares you have accepted to the pool (minus orphan and dead), payout is the payout to you if your node is the one to find a block.  Most of your payouts will be this - 0.5% (the bonus given to the finder of a "true" block).

If I've made any mistakes, experts please correct!

But how do I tune my miner to maxamize shares and payout?  Increase I to increase hash rate and U (shares/min) or decrease I to increase own efficiency? 
Activity: 13
Merit: 0
Strange things going on here:
The windows exe (p2pool_0.8.1_c7feb00.zip) works as expected, about one share per hour or so.

Today I tried installing Python 2.7 and using the source (forrestv-p2pool-release-0.8.1-71-gfff1dd9.zip).
Now cgminer 2.1.2 suddenly finds about 3 or 4 shares per minute.
p2pool is showing this after about 13 minutes and 45 shares:
Pool: 109GH/s in 25941 shares (25945/25945 verified) Recent: 0.00% >0H/s Shares: 0 (0 orphan, 0 dead) Peers: 10 (0 incoming)

I get similar behavior - some (most) of the "accepted" shares don't seem to meet the difficulty requirement in p2pool I think.  But wait enough and you'll get "true" accepted shares in p2pool (in my experience).

Can you explain this more.  I get a higher hashrate and U with a higher intensity, but also a lower own efficiency (from more stales).  What is a better indicator of paid work, p2pool own efficiency or cgminer U (which I thought was accepted shares/min)?

The best indicators of paid work are Shares: X and Payout if block: BTC from p2pool.  Shares is how many shares you have accepted to the pool (minus orphan and dead), payout is the payout to you if your node is the one to find a block.  Most of your payouts will be this - 0.5% (the bonus given to the finder of a "true" block).

If I've made any mistakes, experts please correct!
donator
Today I tried installing Python 2.7 and using the source (forrestv-p2pool-release-0.8.1-71-gfff1dd9.zip).
Pool: 109GH/s in 25941 shares (25945/25945 verified) Recent: 0.00% >0H/s Shares: 0 (0 orphan, 0 dead) Peers: 10 (0 incoming)

Do you have more than one pool in cgminer config? It looks like your finding too many shares, and they are not going to p2pool.

P2Pool pretty much requires long polling - without it you get a lot of dead shares. Lots of rejects and dead shares might be due to bad connectivity or a too-high intensity on cgminer.

Can you explain this more.  I get a higher hashrate and U with a higher intensity, but also a lower own efficiency (from more stales).  What is a better indicator of paid work, p2pool own efficiency or cgminer U (which I thought was accepted shares/min)?
Activity: 675
Merit: 513
Strange things going on here:
The windows exe (p2pool_0.8.1_c7feb00.zip) works as expected, about one share per hour or so.

Activity: 602
Merit: 508
Firstbits: 1waspoza

You need to upgrade to a version of P2Pool from git.

Okay, ill try that later.

EDIT: Git version works! Thanks.
Activity: 516
Merit: 643
Hi guys, i have small problem. When im trying to see some stats at http://127.0.0.1:9332/graphs im getting error 404 - No Such Resource

You need to upgrade to a version of P2Pool from git.

Does /recent_blocks work?

Yes, to some degree for recent versions from git. Tongue It's not guaranteed to show you all blocks because some might have been orphaned or dead, and it may display blocks from far in the past.
Activity: 742
Cant you just direct the --merged-url at a namecoin pool?
Hmm... that sounds like it just might work. Are there any namecoin only pools still?

How about this:

Setup a local p2pool with namecoind as the main chain
Setup another local p2pool with bitcoind as the main chain and merged mining to the previously setup p2pool
Point workers to your local bitcoin p2pool

This would keep everything in p2pool so we don't have to give pool operators any power even on the alt-chain. I'm not sure how badly you would get hurt with longpolling and stales.

Sadly, neither of these approaches will work. P2Pool queries namecoin using the "getauxblock" RPC call instead of the normal "getwork" call. It'd be possible for a Namecoin mining pool to implement "getauxblock", but I doubt that any do. Pointing P2Pool at another P2Pool will not work for the same reason - P2Pool only presents "getwork" to miners. Fairly complex changes to P2Pool are needed to make pooled merged mining work.
I knew that sounded too easy Sad

Should we get a bounty going?  Getting p2pool to also pool the merged mining would be awesome.
donator
Does /recent_blocks work?
Hi guys, i have small problem. When im trying to see some stats at http://127.0.0.1:9332/graphs im getting error 404 - No Such Resource

Halp!
Does it say anything else or just a 404 page. I had the same problem but I solved it easily by installing python-rrdtool and restarting the p2pool daemon.

This is what im getting:

404 - No Such Resource

No Such Resource

No such child resource.

I took your advice and installed python-rrdtool, restarted pool, but no effect. Sad
Activity: 489
Merit: 504

Halp!
Does it say anything else or just a 404 page. I had the same problem but I solved it easily by installing python-rrdtool and restarting the p2pool daemon.

Halp!
hoo
Activity: 89
Merit: 10
Oh man! Thanks guys! I had no idea I was creating the problem. going to fix it now.

This has got to be the most interesting idea in bitcoin, since bitcoin. Smiley

Also, is it possible to add trusted fallback nodes to P2Pool?
Or would just adding the trusted fallback nodes from the wiki to bitcoin.conf be adequate?
Activity: 28
i am mining with 200MHash
Shares: 35 (2 orphan, 1 dead) Peers: 12
got 5 0.1BTC payments in the last 24 hours
should average to 2 payments a day
anyone knows how to turn off longpolling in the json commands for cgminer?

I tried this:

Code:
		"--no-longpoll" : "true"

but it doesn't work.

I can turn it off when it's running through the ncurses interface, but I would rather just have it in the conf.

I'm also getting a lot of rejects in cgminer and lots of dead shares in p2pool.

is it not worth mining in p2pool with 200 mh?

P2Pool pretty much requires long polling - without it you get a lot of dead shares. Lots of rejects and dead shares might be due to bad connectivity or a too-high intensity on cgminer.
donator
Why do you want to turn LP off? cgminer defaults are best for p2pool. With 200Mh/s I would run for 48 hrs and look for 5-10% reject ratio and p2pool own efficiency close to 100%. A lot of discarded work is normal.
hoo
Activity: 89
Merit: 10
anyone knows how to turn off longpolling in the json commands for cgminer?

I tried this:

Code:
		"--no-longpoll" : "true"

but it doesn't work.

I can turn it off when it's running through the ncurses interface, but I would rather just have it in the conf.

I'm also getting a lot of rejects in cgminer and lots of dead shares in p2pool.

is it not worth mining in p2pool with 200 mh?
Hmm... that sounds like it just might work. Are there any namecoin only pools still?

How about this:

Setup another local p2pool with bitcoind as the main chain and merged mining to the previously setup p2pool

This would keep everything in p2pool so we don't have to give pool operators any power even on the alt-chain. I'm not sure how badly you would get hurt with longpolling and stales.

Sadly, neither of these approaches will work. P2Pool queries namecoin using the "getauxblock" RPC call instead of the normal "getwork" call. It'd be possible for a Namecoin mining pool to implement "getauxblock", but I doubt that any do. Pointing P2Pool at another P2Pool will not work for the same reason - P2Pool only presents "getwork" to miners. Fairly complex changes to P2Pool are needed to make pooled merged mining work.
Activity: 742

How about this:

EDIT: So I started looking through the code and it doesn't look like a namecoin p2pool would be too much work to get running.

The changes made to p2pool for liquidcoin (please do not read this as an endorsement of scamcoins), look like they were simple enough.  Similar changes but for namecoin would probably be just as easy.  I'd make a fork, but I don't have time to code right now.

https://github.com/RuxiaoMa/p2pool_lqc/network

From RuxiaoMa's commits, it looks like the only code that really needs to change is in networks.py and maybe in bitcoin/networks.py.

Also, the p2pool code could really use some comments.
Activity: 28
A note on merged mining: Merged mining with p2pool is effectivley solo namecoin mining - no shared reward, 50NMC when you find your own block.
I asked this in another thread, but got no response.

Is there any way to monitor the workers on your p2pool? Let's say I want to run a small pool that uses p2pool. The miners would point their workers to me with whatever address they want payment at as their username.  That is easy enough for bitcoin payments.  However, I can't figure out any way to determine how much to pay those workers should be paid if I find a block on the alt-chain. I was hoping for something like http://localhost:9332/local_workers
already seen something like this:
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/18-ghs-wwwbitaramacom-the-first-p2pool-public-node-38421
Pages:
Jump to: