Pages:
Author

Topic: paper bitcoins coming soon - page 3. (Read 7638 times)

vip
Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136
The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)
October 01, 2012, 09:14:49 PM
I would love to get some feedback on this back side design, Imagine you don't have a clue what bitcoins are and someone hands you this note. Dose this include accurate information and a good stating point for the recipient?

Mike, I would be happy to update the information about your application how ever you see best.

YES - I was thinking of doing exactly the same thing, with one minor twist:  Your image would be the bottom half of the page.  The top would be a unique Bitcoin "Banknote" (voucher).  So in other words this would be produced by a special version of the generator that prints one unique note and the instructions into a single page (or you could just run the paper through the printer twice, once for the instructions, once for the note).  The instructions, of course, would say "cut this out and put it in your wallet, now YOU have a Bitcoin address, and can start accepting bitcoins right now!"...

Rewording: "Paper notes are NOT the safest way to transfer BitCoins because anyone with access to the private key can access the funds."  ----> "If this note was given to you by someone else, remember the private spending key is in plain sight, so anyone else who could have a copy of it can irreversibly take your funds.  To stay safe, send the funds into another Bitcoin wallet, or to a new note you printed yourself from DontTreadOnMeme.com, and never send large amounts of Bitcoins to addresses on notes that you didn't print yourself."  (intended effect: it's less scary, it's more educational, and less of a "warning this isn't safe")

Spellchecks: recieve -> recieve, inport -> import.

Correction: on blockchain.info, when you import notes, they are available immediately, not almost immediately.

Suggestion: send people to BitAddress.org if they want to print new notes, rather than bitcointalk.org.

Finally... your grey background is going to cost you a lot in toner, but the freedom to do so is, as you know, yours!
Activity: 87
Merit: 10
You can't stop the signal
October 01, 2012, 08:51:13 PM
I would love to get some feedback on this back side design, Imagine you don't have a clue what bitcoins are and someone hands you this note. Dose this include accurate information and a good stating point for the recipient?

Mike, I would be happy to update the information about your application how ever you see best.

full image: http://donttreadonmeme.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Back_BitBuck.png

October 01, 2012, 08:42:31 PM
You don't need to use bitcoind. Bitcoin-qt can send to multiple recipients also.
Just press the Add Recipient button at the bottom left corner on the Send Coins tab of Bitcoin-qt.
You can add as many recipients(addresses) as you wish. It will send everything on one transaction only.

Good to know, Thanks psy, If I want to do this on a large scale I will need to find a more automated way. The batch send text that is created by the bank note application seams to be the best way to go.

Activity: 84
October 01, 2012, 03:56:29 PM
If we get into paper bitcoins, then inevitably paper bitcoin counterfeiting will follow.

The idea behind paper bitcoins is just having a wallet printed out on a piece of paper rather than a file. Not fractional lending Cheesy so dont worry. It is safe from inflation!
legendary
Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002
October 01, 2012, 02:50:42 PM
You don't need to use bitcoind. Bitcoin-qt can send to multiple recipients also.
Just press the Add Recipient button at the bottom left corner on the Send Coins tab of Bitcoin-qt.
You can add as many recipients(addresses) as you wish. It will send everything on one transaction only.
Activity: 20
Merit: 0
October 01, 2012, 02:44:45 PM
If we get into paper bitcoins, then inevitably paper bitcoin counterfeiting will follow.
vip
October 01, 2012, 09:04:17 AM
Someone else mentioned voucher as being a better term for them and they might be right.

For the sake of what kind of art I wanted designed at the time I started the "design a bitcoin banknote" thread, I did get exactly what I wanted.  But if we come to a consensus that it would be better understood as a voucher, then that's what it is...
Activity: 177
Merit: 100
October 01, 2012, 05:37:21 AM
imo the concept of a paper bitcoin note is quite misleading. instead of being a durable vehicle for transferring value, this is rather a cheque for one-time transactions. after the private key on the note is "used", the note is worthless and can be disposed. Having a "real" wallet full of used and unused notes makes not a lot of sense to me. You would have to shred used notes or something like stamp them off. Im not saying this is a bad idea, but wouldnt you need an additional mechanism / authorization to "virtualize" the bitocoins from a paper note to the blockchain than just sanning the private keyon the note? Or in other words, wouldnt it be quite scary for someone to be able to steal my fiat dollars by just looking at them?
Activity: 9
October 01, 2012, 04:21:31 AM
Hmm,paper bitcoins.I don't think this is possible  Huh
October 01, 2012, 01:25:06 AM
I understand most of the technical concerns and know that this is not the safest way to spend/receive bitcoins, but my idea is education, to give someone a very small amount of bitcoins just to get them interested and a good place to start.

The cost of printing is justified by the promotional aspect of the design.

http://donttreadonmeme.com/?p=744

Still working on the batch pay, but Im getting closer Smiley
Activity: 266
Merit: 250
September 29, 2012, 09:51:37 PM
Paper seems like a nice idea, but really tricky to manage. Do you really think it's viable long term?
vip
September 29, 2012, 06:29:14 PM
What about the Bitcoin card for this purpose? I may be wrong, but I think applying old paradigms to new technology is not Always the best way.

That's perfect for receiving bitcoins.  This is for giving them away, especially to someone who doesn't already have a bitcoin wallet.
Activity: 165
September 29, 2012, 06:18:44 PM
What about the Bitcoin card for this purpose? I may be wrong, but I think applying old paradigms to new technology is not Always the best way.
vip
September 29, 2012, 01:51:40 PM
Maybe, but I'm not sure if that's needed. If machines are set up to scan and capture coins from paper, then why not set them up to accept electronically as well.

How long does it take to hand someone an object and have the barcode scanned?  This happens every day at the grocery store.

Compare to how long it takes to turn on your phone, open an app, scan the payment address, enter the amount, blah blah blah.  And that assumes you have good internet.
September 29, 2012, 12:30:36 PM
For an easy way to give bitcoins to someone without an electronic wallet handy, or to spend at a retail store or vending machine that is set up to scan and capture the coins.  A way to keep real bitcoins in your fiat wallet.

Maybe, but I'm not sure if that's needed. If machines are set up to scan and capture coins from paper, then why not set them up to accept electronically as well. Plus, why would I want to keep real bitcoins in my fiat wallet? I can't secure them as safely as I can in my electronic world.

I'm just sharing my .02BTC.
Activity: 22
September 29, 2012, 12:02:15 PM
Hello, I have been playing around with the paper bitcoin generator application on this thread and have some questions...

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=98971.0;all

Can't post in that thread as a newbie... Lips sealed

I guess Ill PM the creator...

Interesting idea! Like to see how it pans out in the future!
vip
September 29, 2012, 11:22:10 AM
My question is why would anyone want paper bitcoins? What's the purpose and value add for this? It's an overhead that's not needed as far as I can tell.

For an easy way to give bitcoins to someone without an electronic wallet handy, or to spend at a retail store or vending machine that is set up to scan and capture the coins.  A way to keep real bitcoins in your fiat wallet.
September 29, 2012, 10:10:37 AM
My question is why would anyone want paper bitcoins? What's the purpose and value add for this? It's an overhead that's not needed as far as I can tell.
September 29, 2012, 04:07:14 AM
Thanks Graet! I have been reading the wiki and some posts I found on here, I have bitcoin-qt running on my macbook now so Ill pick this up in the AM, Have some very sexy looking bit-notes to print! this should make for a fun weekend project.
vip
Activity: 980
Merit: 1001
September 29, 2012, 01:07:32 AM
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Running_Bitcoin
is a good resource for info on commands when running bitcoind Smiley
Pages:
Jump to: