Pages:
Author

Topic: paper wallet was stolen - page 2. (Read 1191 times)

Activity: 11
Merit: 3
December 22, 2019, 06:33:31 AM
still no transaction occurs from the stolen adress wallet...
legendary
Activity: 1876
Merit: 3131
July 20, 2019, 02:28:10 PM
Really interesting, but still a rather "useless" security protocol if your private key has already been compromised. The thief could wait the blocktime out, and you wouldn't even know you were compromised until he broadcasts the redeemscript.

It's still a good security enhancement if you realise that your wallet is compromised. It gives the victim some time to react. There is no other effective method of defense if the key is compromised. The only thing that comes to my mind is a multisig setup but that's more complex and needs to be prepared properly before the attack.
legendary
Activity: 1946
Merit: 1427
July 20, 2019, 12:12:09 PM
If he has the private key, he can simply sign another transaction without locktime and broadcast that one instead.. ?
What I thought was a way to freeze a specific tx, not the private key, in the OP's case blocking the 1 btc transaction he made from being spent.

It is possible to create a time-locked address from which no one will be able to spend before a specific date or block height is reached. It looks like only Coinb.in supports this feature. Take a look at this guide or read TryNinja's TL;DR.
Really interesting, but still a rather "useless" security protocol if your private key has already been compromised. The thief could wait the blocktime out, and you wouldn't even know you were compromised until he broadcasts the redeemscript.
legendary
Activity: 1876
Merit: 3131
July 20, 2019, 06:15:54 AM
If he has the private key, he can simply sign another transaction without locktime and broadcast that one instead.. ?
What I thought was a way to freeze a specific tx, not the private key, in the OP's case blocking the 1 btc transaction he made from being spent.

It is possible to create a time-locked address from which no one will be able to spend before a specific date or block height is reached. It looks like only Coinb.in supports this feature. Take a look at this guide or read TryNinja's TL;DR.
Activity: 168
Merit: 86
July 20, 2019, 04:46:12 AM
Perhaps it would be useful to set a time lock to prevent someone from spending your coins before you want. Could the attacker come to know it and get around this obstacle?

I don't know of any wallets that lock "adresses" or private keys rather, from spending funds, as that's just not possible, AFAIK.
(Since the attacker could simply export the private key into his own wallet & broadcast.)

I don't know if it's possible or if it ever will be, I'm willing to learn.
legendary
Activity: 3290
Merit: 16489
Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021
July 20, 2019, 04:41:04 AM
well, the wallet is still untouched. Just a single transaction. Why do they not withdrawed it so far?Maybe thief has died?lol
If the wallet is still untouched and the coins are there without being moved, you may had the chance to get back your coins if you'd have stored your privkey somewhere else as a backup instead of just relying on that paper thing.
OP still has his paper wallet, it's just empty. The coins are unspent in the thiefs wallet.
legendary
Activity: 3052
Merit: 1273
July 19, 2019, 06:19:39 PM
well, the wallet is still untouched. Just a single transaction. Why do they not withdrawed it so far?Maybe thief has died?lol

If the wallet is still untouched and the coins are there without being moved, you may had the chance to get back your coins if you'd have stored your privkey somewhere else as a backup instead of just relying on that paper thing.

Maybe you forgot where did you leave your wallet? Why not have a brief checklist to check it almost everywhere on that list before you declare it as "stolen"? Stories of paper generation issues are also being screamed out nowadays that BTC is gaining traction, the only thing I'd advise is to generate a paper wallet offline (cut any connections to the internet while generating it/them) even on the most trusted sites, so at least you'd be safe just in case the website goes the wrong way! Just a question:

Why didn't you create a paper wallet by getting a wallet (maybe Electrum, maybe Bitcoin core), using an address out of it, storing your coins there and writing it down directly on a paper? It'd have definitely saved you from the hustle and your 1 BTC too.
Activity: 11
Merit: 3
July 19, 2019, 06:08:52 PM
legendary
Activity: 2212
Merit: 5622
Non-custodial BTC Wallet
July 19, 2019, 10:10:34 AM
For some reason you are against hardware wallets, but if OP is using one we would not have this thread and he would still have 1 BTC.

In the end, that is all that matters.
Ledger nano S costs now about 60 USD, or 0,006 btc (can't see the price in USD, only in my local fiat, but the conversion is close to that). A very small investment for some peace of mind.

I see no problem in paying trusted professionals to deal with security of my private keys (while I am the only one who holds them). I am not a pro and I am more likely to make a mistake than ledger professionals.
legendary
Activity: 1946
Merit: 1427
July 19, 2019, 06:22:35 AM
Perhaps it would be useful to set a time lock to prevent someone from spending your coins before you want. Could the attacker come to know it and get around this obstacle?

I don't know of any wallets that lock "adresses" or private keys rather, from spending funds, as that's just not possible, AFAIK.
(Since the attacker could simply export the private key into his own wallet & broadcast.)

July 19, 2019, 05:00:51 AM
Would he have avoided theft by doing so?
Encryption doesn't help if the thief knows the private key already.

yeah that's what I thought, it's obvious. I made some paper wallet too but not on walletgenerator.net, with the intention of keeping them 10 years. I would not bear such a loss easily.
legendary
July 19, 2019, 04:33:08 AM
Encryption doesn't help if the thief knows the private key already.
July 19, 2019, 04:30:27 AM
Really sorry for your loss. Just one question for you, have you encrypted it with bip38?
legendary
Activity: 3220
Merit: 5634
Blackjack.fun-Free Raffle-Join&Win $50🎲
July 14, 2019, 06:58:08 AM
@OP I can teach you how to properly secure your funds. We can do it here or if you'd like you can PM me.

Paper wallets can be the absolute best option for long term storage if you do it right. Hardware wallets, however, constantly have vulnerabilities found out. Don't believe me. Go ahead and Google "hardware wallet vulnerability". You'll notice that the vulnerabilities have come out over many years and fresh ones have just been found out. They're obviously not properly tested, other than of course the general public buying them and reporting vulnerabilities.

Don't blindly trust third parties (hardware wallet manufacturers) because of this mishap. Learn from it, change your method accordingly and sleep easy knowing you'll never have to worry about your funds being stolen again.

Show me one example where the user lost funds due to any detected vulnerability in any hardware wallet? Most of these vulnerabilities required physical access to user device and a superior level of technical knowledge.

For some reason you are against hardware wallets, but if OP is using one we would not have this thread and he would still have 1 BTC. Your ideas about insecurity of HW are not groundless, they are not 100% safe - but most of vulnerabilities you are talking about are fixed before they became known to the public.
legendary
Activity: 1382
Merit: 1122
July 13, 2019, 03:34:38 PM
@OP I can teach you how to properly secure your funds. We can do it here or if you'd like you can PM me.

Paper wallets can be the absolute best option for long term storage if you do it right. Hardware wallets, however, constantly have vulnerabilities found out. Don't believe me. Go ahead and Google "hardware wallet vulnerability". You'll notice that the vulnerabilities have come out over many years and fresh ones have just been found out. They're obviously not properly tested, other than of course the general public buying them and reporting vulnerabilities.

Don't blindly trust third parties (hardware wallet manufacturers) because of this mishap. Learn from it, change your method accordingly and sleep easy knowing you'll never have to worry about your funds being stolen again.
legendary
Activity: 3220
Merit: 5634
Blackjack.fun-Free Raffle-Join&Win $50🎲
July 13, 2019, 08:13:37 AM
jorro-ts, I'm sorry for your loss, it is big amount of money and I think you should report to police and to every crypto exchange to make this hacker life a little more difficult. Most victims do nothing, and hackers count on that - it is easy money for them.

People blindy trust to paper wallets, but they are not aware how important it is to secure a safe environment for making such wallets. If you ever again decide to invest in bitcoin, maybe you should need to consider hardware wallet - it cost some $70, but it can save you from such risks.

legendary
Activity: 2394
Merit: 5531
Self-proclaimed Genius
July 12, 2019, 11:57:04 PM
I believe the attacker got your private keys few days after you put your computer back online. He was probably monitoring your address, waiting for you to put more money there.
OP wiped his computer, that should be enough to remove all traces of private keys. I still prefer a Linux LIVE DVD though, running from memory to ensure nothing ever ends up on a hard drive.
..And less hassle of zero-fill~ing the disk for paranoids Cheesy (+ reinstalling OS and drivers takes time).

He must have browsed to the webpage then cut down the connection.
His supposedly randomly generated private key wasn't random at all but pre-generated key from an image file and can be reproduced by the culprit.
So even if he's offline the whole time (after loading the page), they can regenerate the possible key based from the malicious page's provided image.

This wont happen if he used the original code from Github.
legendary
July 10, 2019, 01:29:18 PM
I believe the attacker got your private keys few days after you put your computer back online. He was probably monitoring your address, waiting for you to put more money there.
OP wiped his computer, that should be enough to remove all traces of private keys. I still prefer a Linux LIVE DVD though, running from memory to ensure nothing ever ends up on a hard drive.
legendary
Activity: 2212
Merit: 5622
Non-custodial BTC Wallet
July 10, 2019, 01:16:45 PM
yes i used WalletGenerator.net, exactly as you described : wipe the computer, and go online again afterwards
no i dont have, it was a single one

Sorry for your loss.

This is a common subject here often these days (like this https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/hardware-wallets-still-arent-secure-and-they-never-will-be-use-paper-wallets-5161786), about paper wallet security.
Most of people think it is easy and simple to make a paper wallet, but it is not.

Generating a paper wallet is risky. You shouldn't have put your computer back online afterwards... In my opinion, the best is to invest in a hardware wallet, which is safer BECAUSE it is easier to use.

Activity: 8
Merit: 2
July 10, 2019, 10:45:32 AM
Hello everyone!

More than a Week  ago my single btc from offline paper wallet was stolen

it was created in 12.2018 and never used since that time

I am totally frustrated not only because of loss but also becasue i cant get what do i did wrong!

Also i want to mention that the adress it was moved on, is still untouched and have got just a single transaction(my btc)

u can supervise it here

https://www.blockchain.com/btc/address/1CtmmUkxEbQ8nsa2XFSKy7bo5XmBxYFP5n

what can it be?why it is still untouched? why it happened just in 6 month?

You should contact the police
Pages:
Jump to: