Pages:
Author

Topic: Partnership between Facebook and police could make planning protests impossible - page 3. (Read 4515 times)

legendary
Activity: 942
Merit: 1026
You do not use Facebook, Facebook uses you.

You may think you are the user, you are actually the product.
legendary
Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965
Terminated.
Not sure why you are even discussing this.
Stop using facebook already.
Activity: 770
Merit: 501
funnily there was a facebook thread on OT board some days ago.
i don't like quoting myself, but this time it's fitting and i don't have to rewrite my post (sorry for my narcissim)

never been on facebook and never will be.

i don't get it how people voluntarily share their personal info/habits with a private company solely concentrated on profit maximization while ranting on observation policies by authorities.
facebook is the perfect way to centralise a big chunk of web's userbase and hand it to the highest bidder on a silver platter (no matter if its marketing analysts or authorities)

i see bigger social networks as an attempt to disrupt free speech in the web and squeeze users into a small, well-observed and analyzed drawer system.
What was one big purpose of religion again....control of the masses....this is the same thing in action in the virtual world.

next step would be control of the information channels flowing into that network.

exaggerating here but how would it feel sharing the affection of cancer in such a network to your loved ones and suddenly getting advertising for expensive treatments and funeral services.

There's no sense in providing big companies with useful marketing data free of charge.
instead facebook should pay users for registration.
don't get me wrong, facebook probably helped a lot during the arab spring to connect and rally the masses, but in the future western authorities know exactly where to put the thumbscrews when facing uprisings by society.
The ongoing observation of these networks makes it very easy to see early disruptive developments and take measures against escalation.

Like every technological development, there's always two sides.
Activity: 210
Merit: 100
Crypto News & Tutorials - Coinramble.com
This link is foxnews safe...  Wink

http://rt.com/usa/facebook-police-social-lipp-743/

A partnership between police departments and social media sites discussed at a convention in Philadelphia this week could allow law enforcement to keep anything deemed criminal off the Internet—and even stop people from organizing protests.

A high-ranking official from the Chicago Police Department told attendees at a law enforcement conference on Monday that his agency has been working with a security chief at Facebook to block certain users from the site “if it is determined they have posted what is deemed criminal content,” reports Kenneth Lipp, an independent journalist who attended the lecture.

Lipp reported throughout the week from the International Association of Chiefs of Police conference, and now says that a speaker during one of the presentations suggested that a relationship exists between law enforcement and social media that that could be considered a form of censorship.

According to Lipp, the unnamed CPD officer said specifically that his agency was working with Facebook to block users’ by their individual account, IP address or device, such as a cell phone or computer.
They already have shared all the account details with capitalists in USA in exchange for multi-million $$.
Tie-up with police is not a big thing for them
Activity: 980
Merit: 500
FREE $50 BONUS - STAKE - [click signature]
Fuck this social media bullshit!

It is actually becoming pretty irritating the way people are trying to shove 'social' networking down my throat when a lot of the time the reason you go on a computer is exactly to avoid people ffs, stuff like rockstar social club and steam etc. is something I don't get particularly as well because a lot of singleplayer games are now pestering you to go and pester other friends while they're playing, I always turn off the social features now because it just means you end up getting spammed while you're playing.

South Park had a great episode on this. You have 0 friends

I hear you about singleplayer and other games, it's annoying as hell, and every company has to have it's own version of instant messaging and voice messaging and other stuff. uPlay from Ubisoft, that other turd system which is needed to play battlefield from EA and so on.
Steam is kinda ok I guess, they are well established in that field, but I hate it and rarely install it (once a year for less than a month)
legendary
Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

It is actually becoming pretty irritating the way people are trying to shove 'social' networking down my throat when a lot of the time the reason you go on a computer is exactly to avoid people ffs, stuff like rockstar social club and steam etc. is something I don't get particularly as well because a lot of singleplayer games are now pestering you to go and pester other friends while they're playing, I always turn off the social features now because it just means you end up getting spammed while you're playing.
facebook is a dumb social networking site. i'm beginning to think that it exists to make people dumber and dumber. every day i see people checking out each others pages to see what they had for lunch, or stupid chatter about inane subjects. it makes me feel more and more cynical about human society.

and to make things worse, facebook just sits there collecting all of his data on people.. people who give it willingly because they want to be popular or snoop on their friends.

For me the worst thing is that some sites required you to have facebook login, like some games give you extra stuff for liking their page. Also some people or groups of people do not have a site, only a facebook group to promote them.

I can only show them a midle finger, but my abstinence from facebook changes nothing. I would love o see it rot away, investors looking away from it.

Also with google+ raping youtube recently... ffffuuuuuuuuu!

Activity: 434
Merit: 250
facebook is a dumb social networking site. i'm beginning to think that it exists to make people dumber and dumber. every day i see people checking out each others pages to see what they had for lunch, or stupid chatter about inane subjects. it makes me feel more and more cynical about human society.

and to make things worse, facebook just sits there collecting all of his data on people.. people who give it willingly because they want to be popular or snoop on their friends.
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001
minds.com/Wilikon
This is bad business for Facebook.

Facebook is bad business.

the truth, I'm about ready to pretty much stop using that site.

sometimes the best way to be invisible is to be right in the middle of things.
Activity: 182
Merit: 100
This is bad business for Facebook.

Facebook is bad business.

the truth, I'm about ready to pretty much stop using that site.
Vod
legendary
Activity: 3668
Merit: 3010
Licking my boob since 1970
It is easy for anyone to create a website like facebook, but not all of us

So why don't you create one, instead of the piece of shit website you have now?
Activity: 420
Merit: 250
Jesus Christ Saves Sinners
The parents of the so-called creator of facebook, are doctors. I read that somewhere.

Facebook was a pain in the azz in the first place, and never would have gotten anywhere if it had been up to me.

I saw no reason at all to go magnify that website all over the internet, as so many people have done.

In fact, the site is basically useless.

I hope facebook goes to hell.

I wonder about people just going and giving all that money to zuckerberg at the ipo....

And facebook ipo was a flop. They sucked in investors who all lost money.

It is easy for anyone to create a website like facebook, but not all of us

have the backing of the Jewish media money machine, as Zuckerberg had.
legendary
Cheesy Yeah that's exactly how people talk to me when I point out how shitty DRM is, I'm feeling extremely smug after the adobe hack.

withouth drm there would be much LESS software around

I'm not even sure what you mean by that.

Also, I use Facebook, but of course my information is all fake, I think that's what most people are doing.
Activity: 574
freedomainradio.com
Who the fuck uses Facebook?  Huh This is just stupid...
Cheesy Yeah that's exactly how people talk to me when I point out how shitty DRM is, I'm feeling extremely smug after the adobe hack.

withouth drm there would be much LESS software around
legendary
Activity: 350
Merit: 251
Activity: 350
Merit: 251
"Facebook isn't an option? How else are we supposed to communicate‽"

This is what happens when you rely too much on one thing.
legendary
minds.com/Wilikon
http://freebeacon.com/government-mining-social-media-for-information-on-health-behavior/

The National Library of Medicine (NLM) is “mining” Facebook and Twitter to improve its social media footprint and to assess how Tweets can be used as “change-agents” for health behaviors.

The NLM, a division of the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), will have software installed on government computers that will store data from social media as part of a $30,000 project announced last week.

“The National Library of Medicine is the world’s largest biomedical library and makes its stored information available online at no charge to consumers, health professionals, and biomedical scientists through a diverse suite of resources,” the agency said in a contract posted on Oct. 23. “Evaluating how its databases and other resources are utilized is an important component of continuing quality improvement and has long been an on-going program of NLM management through a potpourri of monitoring tools.”

“The world-wide explosion in the use of social media provides a unique opportunity for sampling sentiment and use patterns of NLM’s ‘customers’ and for comparing NLM to other sources of health-related information,” the agency said.

“By examining relevant tweets and other comments,” the contract said, “NLM will gain insights to extent of use, context for which information was sought, and effects of various health-related announcements and events on usage patterns.”

Specifically, NLM will look at the “value of tweets and other messages as teaching tools and change-agents for health-relevant behavior.”

“The overarching objective of these studies is to obtain a richer understanding of how consumers, clinicians, researchers actually look for the health-related information they seek, and what they do with what they find,” NLM said in a response to frequently asked questions about the project.

OhMyGov Inc., a media company that specializes in the promotion of government agencies, will be paid $30,660 to monitor social media for NLM for one year.

The company will install software on computers at NLM headquarters in Bethesda, Md. to “maintain a comprehensive ‘universe’ of social media data.” Government bureaucrats will be trained on the software so they can search the database for health-related content.

“Content from Twitter, Facebook, blogs, news sites, discussion boards, video and image sharing sites will be maintained by the Contractor and kept up-to-date in a timely manner and made available for query by Government,” the contract said.

When asked by a vendor if they are interested in storing the data for “historical analysis,” NLM said “Yes.”

The project will also track NLM’s impact on social media in comparison to its “competitors,” which they define as Google, Mayo Clinic, and WebMD.

“Demographic characteristics” of Facebook and Twitter posts will be noted “to the extent permitted by privacy regulations.” NLM said they are interested in the location, number of followers, and academic degrees held by users.

The contractor OhMyGov Inc. is partially funded by the National Science Foundation, and a member of President Obama’s “Startup America Initiative,” a public-private partnership designed to spur entrepreneurship.

“The OhMyGov Media Monitoring and Policy Analysis system is the first and only business intelligence software completely politically focused,” according to the company’s website. “It provides real-time data mining, analysis, and visual analytics to uncover patterns in message uptake and critical insights into how issues are being characterized by Congress as well as the media, public, and key stakeholders.”
legendary
minds.com/Wilikon
It's crazy that people still use Facefuck/Twatter, plenty of alternatives to the CIA/NSA/GCHQ database:

http://pump.io/
https://diasporafoundation.org/
https://www.gnu.org/software/social/
http://movim.eu/

Thank you for all those links. I only remember reading about diaspora a while back.
Pages:
Jump to: