Pages:
Author

Topic: Peter R Rizun's theory on the collapse of MtGox and its effect on the price of bitcoin - page 4. (Read 77117 times)

legendary
Activity: 3472
Merit: 1721
But theft was hardly a concern.  In October of 2010, bitcoins were trading for $0.10 and the half a million bitcoins held by MtGox was worth only $50,000.   But still Mark took precautions, diligently moving bitcoins to offline storage and leaving only what was necessary for customer withdrawals online.   He truly wanted both his business and bitcoin to succeed. 

This may look like Mark bought Mt.Gox from Jed McCaleb in 2010, but the ownership did not change until March 6th, 2011:
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/mtgox-is-changing-owners-4187
legendary
Activity: 1792
Merit: 1087
Mark was in #bitcoin-dev at the time of the heist asking the bitcoin devs to roll back the blockchain, so that lines up with this theory.

Very interesting.  You wouldn't happen to have an IRC log or a link handy to a thread discussing this, would you?

I just went over some chatlogs at http://bitcoinstats.com/irc/bitcoin-dev/logs/2011/06/19 and it turns out I must've remembered wrong. Still an interesting conversation to go over if you read what MagicalTux (Mark Karpeles) says or rather what he does not say..

In the chat log I find this: https://blockchain.info/tx/84f96975ea88d317676771a482c71f39ff53beda790c89c07ae82e427b4d090f

But if that was a theft, there was no reason to leave a 32.11BTC change
Activity: 614
Merit: 500
Mark was in #bitcoin-dev at the time of the heist asking the bitcoin devs to roll back the blockchain, so that lines up with this theory.

Very interesting.  You wouldn't happen to have an IRC log or a link handy to a thread discussing this, would you?

I just went over some chatlogs at http://bitcoinstats.com/irc/bitcoin-dev/logs/2011/06/19 and it turns out I must've remembered wrong. Still an interesting conversation to go over if you read what MagicalTux (Mark Karpeles) says or rather what he does not say..
legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000
Very interesting.

Still, I'm waiting to hear it from the big horses mouth. Now that administrators and lawyers are all over the company, it will be hard to hide all the internal communications, account movements and trades over such a long period.

Unfortunately, I've seen the remaining assets of a company in this state squandered by all the fees vultures that get involved during bankruptcy. They will be picking away at the Gox assets for a while. I'm owed quite a lot of money from a company that went into administration three years ago, the administrators say that they are still sorting it all out - which is double talk code for, there is still money in the bank and assets to rape so they can extract out more fees.
Activity: 784
Merit: 1000
Also if there was such a jumbo tx, I am sure it would be very visible on the blockchain.

The million bitcoins sent to MtGox in early June would have been deposited to several unique addresses and over several days, as these coins came form several unique customers.  The thief would have stolen them with several transactions (over a shorter period of time), rather than merging them into a single 1,000,000 BTC TX.
Several...over a shorter period of time...we may as well say over a year. If you put no limit on Mark's incompetence, then sure, anything is possible.

There is never a need to put the key to a user's deposit address on an online computer, any wallet system which could remotely be considered 'cold', by definition, would not do that.

The just-dice.com deposit addresses are "hot."  I think this is common in fact.  Just-dice uses recent deposits to pay out new withdrawal requests, thereby minimizing transfers to and from cold storage.  If you request a just-dice withdrawal, your coins will almost always come from someone else's deposit address.  [People have reported on the troll box that they've spontaneously received free coins.  This happens when someone erroneously sends just-dice.com coins to the address that sent them a withdrawal.]  Just-dice.com automatically transfers coins to cold-storage when the amount of hot coins crosses a certain threshold.  These coins are transferred manually back to the hot wallet when needed.  

My theory would have MtGox in its early years using a similar system, except automated transfers to the cold wallet were not yet implemented.  Yeah they should have been, but I believe it's plausible that they weren't given how quickly the price (and thus the risk of not doing so) increased.  

Again, if you deposit addresses are hot, there is no way it can be called cold wallet. Also, an exchange is different from a betting site, which does BTC withdrawals much more often(you don't trade and want to collect what you win ASAP, and you certainly don't deposit to gamble in tens of thousands of BTCs!), it would be beyond ridiculous if Gox's deposit addresses are hot.
Activity: 435
Merit: 260
If Willy buy bitcoin why mtgox only 2,000 BTC on feb?
Activity: 593
Merit: 505
Wherever I may roam
Activity: 294
Merit: 250
I am just going to add on to the speculation a bit here. There has been a confirmed leak of audio from January with Mark and a bank of theirs in Japan. This bank was going to shut them down. Without a bank mt gox would have to stop operations and there would be withdrawals in mass. The shit would hit the fan if they were operating under fractional reserve. Is it just a coincidence then that shortly after mark finds out his bank is shutting him down that they lose several hundred thousand bitcoins due to "malleability" ?  I don't think so. Mark is using the malleability as a scapegoat. I think he was operating under fractional reserve and I also think he tucked away many bitcoins for himself since his exchange was going down anyway.
Activity: 101
Merit: 10
Great article, now it's so clear and I begin to get everything what's happnening . Makes me think more about an effect on the price of btc
legendary
If this theory is correct, there must be some significant transactions around that 2011 hack. Could you identify it on the blockchain?

There's no smoking gun, but there's enough output volume to conceal ~1,000,000 BTC.  Here's a graph of the data for June 2011 constructed from data I just pulled from blockchain.info.  Note that I'm not sure re time zones, so look at the 18, 19, and 20th when thinking about what happened at the time of the hack.  Also note this is a log scale so that both curves are readable.  

Remember that total output volume is 100% accurate, but blockchain.info's estimated transaction volume depends on an algorithm that attempts to identify change and may thus be unreliable.  

If I were the thief, I would try to transfer the money out very quickly, as I'd like to finish it before Mark discovered. Therefore, there must be a few very big transactions if you were correct.
legendary
Activity: 1162
Merit: 1007
If this theory is correct, there must be some significant transactions around that 2011 hack. Could you identify it on the blockchain?

There's no smoking gun, but there's enough output volume to conceal ~1,000,000 BTC.  Here's a graph of bitcoin transfers for June 2011 constructed from data I just pulled from blockchain.info.  Note that I'm not sure re time zones, so look at the 18, 19, and 20th when thinking about what happened at the time of the hack.  Also note this is a log scale so that both curves are readable.  

Remember that total output volume is 100% accurate, but blockchain.info's estimated transaction volume depends on an algorithm that attempts to identify change and may thus be unreliable.  
legendary
Activity: 924
Merit: 1001
This explanation is simple plausible and practical. really great.

I like to say, never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity. This is one case.
legendary
Activity: 57
Merit: 0
Opet, I sent you a PM to clarify and will edit my article to give you priority for "Willy" once we clear up the dates. 
Replied.  Not really a big deal, though, so don't worry too much about changing anything.  Just the fact that the name "Willy" stuck and spread through the community was enough to make my night! Smiley
Activity: 114
Merit: 10
this has been an awesome thread, thank you
legendary

Very interesting.  You wouldn't happen to have an IRC log or a link handy to a thread discussing this, would you?
Activity: 614
Merit: 500
legendary

Opet, I sent you a PM to clarify and will edit my article to give you priority for "Willy" once we clear up the dates. 
I apologize if I didn't give credit where credit was due.  I actually don't know who first noticed Willy nor do I know who named him.  The only place I've read about him is in the Wall Observer thread, so yes I was too quick in assuming that fellow Wall Observers were the first to notice him.

But your Reddit posts says its from "about a month ago."  Weren't we talking about Willy in December on the Wall Observer thread?  Does anyone remember when exactly the web and API interface went down and we watched Willy execute trades all alone?  Wasn't that November or December?  Were we calling him "Willy" at that point?
The discovery of the bot actually happened in December, yes.  I had briefly described it during a live broadcast as a guest on Bonavest's trading show.  It was also during a later broadcast that I took suggestions for a name.  One of the other guests listed "Willy" as an option, so I later chose that one as the best of the bunch.  From that point on, the name stuck. (It's kinda cool that it spread to everyone, LOL)

Check out the reddit thread I linked and you'll also see that I'm the one who captured and shared the screenshots the night the trading API went down.  That was when I decided that it was highly likely that Willy was owned and operated by Gox itself.  (A fact that I also shared on another live Bonavest trading show, as well as other places like tradingview.com)

Interestingly enough, I confronted neotufur (sp?) in the #mtgox channel on IRC about the bot a few weeks later, and he (or she?) adamantly denied the fact that the bot belonged to Gox.  His explanation for how the bot could trade when nobody else could was something to the effect of: "if you have enough money, you can buy a direct privileged connection to our servers, so that's probably how the bot kept going when nobody else can trade."  He then called me crazy for believing it belonged to Gox and almost banned me from the channel!  (I'll try to dig up the IRC log for ya... it was amusing as hell!)

Whatever the case, I meant it when I said that it's no big deal.  I really do like how you summarized the role that Willy might have had in this mess, and it's definitely plausible!

Edit:  Here's some of my screenshots from when the trading API went down on January 7, 2013, but Willy was still making trades for the next 90 minutes while it was down for everyone else: http://imgur.com/Ub46sWE
and another: http://imgur.com/wyW1g4p
Pages:
Jump to: