Pages:
Author

Topic: Plagiarism in Whitepapers, what do you think? - page 2. (Read 719 times)

Activity: 132
Merit: 2
i think recently DADI was caught plagiarizing but that has become a sort of industry norm in crazy ICO bull run which gave birth to never heard of blockchain experts. TRON had a very bad rep regarding its whitepaper. But contrary to popular belief it helped many projects in making $$ even though the plagiarizing news was in public domain. it will take time to amend these shortcomings, untill the situation changing.
Activity: 486
Merit: 27
HIRE ME FOR SMALL TASK
If a developer is plagiarizing other projects content then the product is not unique and the possibility outcome would turn into scam. Means only Noob investor will fall into that trap.
Activity: 53
Merit: 0
When the developers take shortcuts on suck basic things as a whitepaper, it should be a major red flag to anyone considering to invest. Even if sources are mentioned i consider plagiarism anywhere to reflect the work to come in any project. I don't like it, condone it or invest in it.
Activity: 59
I think it's great because it exposes that the team should not be trusted. Only in that sense. It's not great that they're doing that, just great that they can easily get exposed. Though I heard Tron plagiarized and it's doing good.
Activity: 232
Merit: 11
Well, plagiarism is a common thing in making a whitepaper for a company's ICO Project. They commonly copies some on their WP from other failed projects, and some really owned it, failed, and changed the idea and tried another one. Some you might think it is copied, yet due to a lot of ICO projects with the same idea and theme, instances of having the same thought on their whitepapers is highly not doubtful.

Yet with this cases, find an ICO who's whitepaper is original. So you can absolutely feel safe, yet cannot be comfortable that it would be a success.
Activity: 104
For a weak team, copying the white paper of another project looks very tempting. To create the original requires a lot of creativity and a thorough approach. But on the other hand this makes it possible, when choosing an ICO for the bounty campaign, to properly evaluate the team. Although this will not say anything about the product or value of the service that the project represents
Activity: 1022
Merit: 500
Today I was reading a whitepaper trying to do a product review, it is one of the most popular projects if you take into account the telegram users... and the whitepaper has a lot of plagiarised content  Shocked

As a university student this shocks me, as something similar in academia would result in expulsion from the university.

My short video rant here: https://youtu.be/JmVAyC-XFSA

What are your thoughts on this?

Plagiarism nowadays was very trending in most of the ico project they've just changed or add something to make it not same with the other ico.

I just noticed that several times in different ico bounty campaign actually. However in my idea this is a kind of violation or offense in my way of

thinking only.
Activity: 103
I do see whitepaper that seems content on it are from another content. It is not really plagiarism because if you can review the whitepaper, at the end, they are mentioning their resources to come up with a nice and decent whitepaper to attract investors and bounty hunters..
Activity: 868
Merit: 266
Most ICOs and especially bounty campaigns seem to use plagiarized content in some capacity. I rarely read ICOs so can't comment on that but half of them just rehash the same templates or just copy what somebody has already previously posted on their ANN/Bounty thread. Wouldn't surprise me at all if it was the same group of people behind half of them as well. Probably too good to be true for scammers to resist so they just keep them running constantly. People keep seeming to give them their money for half-baked ideas so I can't see why they would stop creating them. 
This is basically because they know that people don't normally read the whitepapers of these ICOs and i wouldn't really trust any ICO if they are able to plagiarize the work of another ICO.
Activity: 328
Merit: 1
Damn it is not good at all. That proves that the founder or organization is not enthusiastic about their project. I think I should stay away
Activity: 420
Merit: 7
WORLD FIRST INTEGRATED FREELANCE & ON-DEMAND ECOSY
Plagiarism in whitePaper is a very serious offence it show the team haven't done their due diligence and if they can sit down to determine the purpose and how to achieve a project they definitely not worth investing in. It's very simple.
Activity: 154
Plagiarism in a whitepaper is inexcusable in my opinion. How do they expect people to take the project seriously if they cant even take themselves seriously. A half arsed whitepaper makes a half arsed project.

SUGGESTION: Contact the project moderators, update them about the error and its implications, tell them your academic qualification and you are willing to correct their plagiarized whitepaper and present it into the required standards in exchange for equity/Utility tokens. (Bounty)

Atleast this is a constructive way of trying to fix the issue.
Activity: 434
Merit: 25
Today I was reading a whitepaper trying to do a product review, it is one of the most popular projects if you take into account the telegram users... and the whitepaper has a lot of plagiarised content  Shocked

As a university student this shocks me, as something similar in academia would result in expulsion from the university.

This is why we need educated people like you to help blockchain projects succeed, Understand this are start-up projects and they may have limited resources to lay out everything to top quality standards, The founders may have quality very bright idea about how to change the world but doesn't have human resources to help in documenting the project - this is where you step in.

SUGGESTION: Contact the project moderators, update them about the error and its implications, tell them your academic qualification and you are willing to correct their plagiarized whitepaper and present it into the required standards in exchange for equity/Utility tokens. (Bounty)

This is what we do during bounty hunting Smiley we help blockchain projects succeed.
Activity: 140
Merit: 1
Less troubles
This is one of those reason most government don't like this crypto business. There are no law that govern or punish people who commit such criminal acts thus it will make this kind of crime reocuring which consequencely deter legit investors from investing in legit any good project. plagiarism of white paper is not and never a good thing, and yet check their bounty programs rules you will notice how ridiculous it is.
Activity: 280
Merit: 28
Today I was reading a whitepaper trying to do a product review, it is one of the most popular projects if you take into account the telegram users... and the whitepaper has a lot of plagiarised content  Shocked

Usually that would be one of scam indicators to me. I'd stay clear of it.
Activity: 462
This is a very wrong act, this is done through the stealing and publication of another author's content creations either visual, writing thereby presenting theses contents as one 's own.

coming to the issue of the whitepaper plagiarism , this should be a unique content presented in a writing form, with technical illustrations of how a specific project is going to execute. It explains how the team behind the project is credible and reliable while they try to convince the individual investors. it is very ok to reference an author's when we write at least no man is an Island.
Activity: 448
Merit: 100
Maybe you can't find plagiarism in many whitepapers but you can easily see most are copy of each other. Some projects even copy the ann thread, graphics etc.
Activity: 38
It certainly seems that there is no longer any concern for plagiarism. I saw plenty of it myself when I was a student and had to work with team members. I would catch other members of the team straight up plagiarizing off the internet with no repercussions.

The norm today is to use existing copy - whether a whitepaper or something else - as a template with a few changes made to personalize it. I would certainly say this a giant grey area and crosses over to plagiarism. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be much that can be done about it.
Activity: 56
just dont invest in something then if you think its plagiarized
Activity: 28

I see a lot of ICOs doing this, some which are real projects, but it definitely should raise questions about the project and the team behind it.
Pages:
Jump to: