Pages:
Author

Topic: Plagiarism: Where Do We Draw the Line? - page 4. (Read 874 times)

legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 4795
July 19, 2021, 04:28:25 PM
Paraphrasing doesn't help either.
This is the problem with many newbies, they are actually plagiarizing but rephrasing, thinking it will not be known. The advice is to write post all off hand, or if using a site, the link should be included.

I don’t quite know where the forum stands on accidental plagiarism.
It has to be indicated that it is translated from certain site with link(s) included, else it is plagiarism that supposed to result to ban.
copper member
Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071
https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory
July 19, 2021, 04:19:17 PM
Accidental probably depends on a few things. Really, the translator should have asked the user or posted a link to the original topic but tbh it's potentially something someone could get away with - or could explain their way out of (especially if the information is deemed useful in an accusatory or appeal topic).
Activity: 1120
Merit: 555
July 19, 2021, 04:15:37 PM
Plagiarism destroys one’s reputation, the penalty is an immediate ban of the user. IMHO many newbies tend to plagiarise because they don't read the rules and guidelines.
“No idea is completely new, only evolving” Many writers get ideas and inspiration from other writers, but you cannot copy a chunk of sentences from another writer word for word without being accused of plagiarism. Paraphrasing doesn't help either. Plagiarism can be accidental or intentional. Example of intentional plagiarism is when a post is written in one language is rewritten in another and posted in local board without citing the original poster. I don’t quite know where the forum stands on accidental plagiarism. When newbies ( I use newbies as a case study because I believe they are more likely to plagiarise although I do not have the stats to prove that) are interested in a particular topic they gather all sorts of information, this may eventually cause problems distinguishing between common knowledge, facts and information that needs citation.
Pages:
Jump to: