Pages:
Author

Topic: Playing games while mining with the same GFX card - page 2. (Read 7489 times)

Activity: 126
Merit: 103
What GFX card are you running RIFT on, frizzl?  What OS are you using and with what version of the GFX drivers?
Activity: 28
Merit: 0
Your monitor can display 1024 frames ? Really  Shocked

-f 60 (frames) is usually the max. If it hangs your computer is unstable.

This worked for me, i was able to login to RIFT didnt do anything hardcore but it was hashing still and had decent fps in RIFT.
No dice.  Setting GUIminer to Low priority and the game to Above Normal had no effect; the system still crashed.

Other suggestions?
That might be worth looking into, Waltibaba.  I'll check it out and get back to you.

As far as how many frames my monitor can display, honestly I've ignored that detail in favor of recognizing that the Mhash/s rate drops the higher -f I go to, and other applications seem to be able to utilize that additional graphics overhead.  At -f1024 I'm still at 93% utilization of my GFX cards.
Activity: 38
If you want to, you can set priority permanently using a program like prifinnity; sets affinity and priority automatically.
Activity: 48
Your monitor can display 1024 frames ? Really  Shocked

-f 60 (frames) is usually the max. If it hangs your computer is unstable.
Windows 7 64-bit. 

Priority can only be set after the game is loaded and would require a complex process every time I wanted to game, even if it would work.  Any other suggestions?
Activity: 14
windows or linux, im assuming windows, i would try setting priority to the game in task manager
The Goal: To play games while mining, letting the game use whatever portion of the GFX card it needs to run and leave the rest leftover for the mining client.

The Proof: This was achieved using an older Nvidia GFX card by using the -f128 flag.  The card was hashing at 40Mhash/s when not gaming and 8-10Mhash/s when gaming without any noticeable performance reduction in the game.

The Problem: Current I'm using 2x non-reference 6950's hashing at about 335Mhash/s each.  Games run fine when I turn the worker off that controls the monitor I'm gaming on.  However, the system locks whenever I attempt to also mine with that GFX card, regardless of starting the worker first or the game first.  This happens even with -f1024.

Any suggestions?
Pages:
Jump to: