Pages:
Author

Topic: Police raids of miner homes? Should I expect one soon? - page 2. (Read 4884 times)

Activity: 322
Merit: 100
I read an article two months ago, that people in Bolivia got all their mining equipment confiscated and they were told by the government "to focus their work on real money and not some internet money".
Where do you live? I tead trough all the posts but I missed it. As long as you're not living in an oppressed country or in the US, you can chill down, jsut call your local authotity and report yoir concerns. They should be open and happy that you approach them with your concearns. Especially when living in the US, I would to this because of all these bad stories you hear about police raids. Your life could change forever just because a stulid officer wanted to make a huge bust whilst ignoring his legal limitations (like the case posted before where the plant material judges as cannabis was never send to a laboratory).
If someone would do this to me, I would go and catch him on the street and ask him what he wants. If he's someone official and not a sketchy detective, I would show him around in my mining farm.
Activity: 89
Merit: 10

I know the police here obtain data from the electric co. about unusual usage fluctuations, and I think it's bullshit.   Does the phone company also report excessive phone calls?  What about if your Internet traffic spikes?   And heaven forbid you should get diarrhea and start flushing the toilet a lot! 

If the police can get a search warrant based on nothing more than your electric usage, you got a serious human rights issue.

If they are violating your right to privacy by looking at your electric bill, what other bills are they looking at?

I would recommend calling a lawyer.
Activity: 1061
Merit: 501
RIP: S5, A faithful device long time
Hope not.  Lips sealed I dont want to hassle with drugs and prepaid cards, cannabis is not legal yet in my homecountry.

Bitcoin on plate and building everything great Tongue
Activity: 140
OP... that is hilarious. I guarantee you they think you've got a grow farm going.
legendary
Activity: 3080
Merit: 1500
From the story you posted here, I believe, you are surely under the regulatory watch and your whereabouts are being investigated. However, if you are not growing weed in your apartment, you are safe. But if you are mining some crypto currency, it is unlikely that you are going to jail. What is the legal status of crypto currency in your country. Has it been made legalized? Have you recently transferred a huge amount to your bank account?

If you have transferred a really huge amount to your bank account recently, then you are at risk brother! I have been earning bitcoin since 2015 and I do report my earning in my tax filing every year. Whatever I cash out to my bank account, I report the amount to my tax return under "income from other sources" head. Start doing that just to be safe. Good Luck!
Activity: 404
Merit: 252
It's pretty common in Europe that power companies and the police work together. If you have planned higher power usage you can just increase your max cap. If your building is in an industrial area they won't even look into it. So long you are mining bitcoins or other cryptos the police won't care they see it as a server farm when they enter the building if you then explain there is no storage most likely they will leave home straight away. If you have doubts now just take pictures with your camera and say what you are running and everything should be fine if you don't want the police entering the house in the first place.
Activity: 140
    So recently I notice a few really odd things that all kind of lead me to think I might in the process of being investigated.

1) Power company stopped letting me look at my usage the way I normally do and I can't make modifications to my power plan or even view how much it's estimated to cost me. The first month my bill for electricity didn't even show until the following month and still I have these weird restrictions on my account. I use PGE and normally I can see a day/day hour/hour breakdown of cost and usage. This is all gone now.

2) My neighbor reported some strange guy walking in our apartments private lot, he parked his moto behind my car the walked around taking picture of random things near the apartment. This person apparently came by about 2-3 times as I saw him when I got home and my neighbor had pics of him 30 mines earlier. He kept looking at me kind of oddly, but I ignored it not giving it any though at the time. Later is when my neighbor showed me picture and told me more details.

3) I get two books mailed to me that I didn't order, when i contacted the site that sent them they could only tell me the first name is given and it's not anyone I know or anyone who'd send me books. The books were "The little price" and "George Orwell 1984".[/li]

So by now you all must be thinking "ok this dude is paranoid, how does any of this fit together?"...

1) When i called PGE they were really curious about my power usage, and my theory is police and power companies work together to catch people who grow weed.

2) My theory with this is he was some sort of private investigator hired to check out my house since it flagged me as some weed grower based on the power usage. He apparently asked my neighbor "is there a yard?". (The other theory with this guy is that maybe he was casing my apartment. I have a nice car in the drive way so maybe a thief looking for ways to break in.)

3) This one is what really got me thinking, not actually reading either one of these books I found out that 1984 is just kind of a "big brother is watching" type of book and Little Prince is a "Don't value money value people" type of moral. Now... I'm a young guy and innocent looking, I would not doubt that that private investigator was trying to tip me off that "someone is watching and my values need to change".

All of this has happened within two months since I started mining, I use about 70 KWh per day...

Anyways what are your thoughts? I'd like to hear all your opinions because since these odd things happeneing recently it just made my mind run quite a bit. I know I'm making some leaps here but it's really the best theory I have that fits all of this. My life is normally pretty ordinary and neighborhood very calm so these small things stand out a little (while not on their own, they do together).

I guess best thing I can do it clean up my house for when they come with the search warrant... lol

[/quote]

Alot of times it because they think your growing marijuanna or making drugs. it sure looks suspicious but its not illegal at all. its a catch 22 because if you report that your mining then that opens you open to hacking. but if you do nothing the police might bust in there for weed raids.
brand new
Activity: 0
Merit: 0
man, that doesn't sound good.  stay safe out there and be careful.  maybe some security cameras would help.
This seems very specific. Almost seems like fiction.
legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030
PGE - portland/vancouver area?

California I suspect - Pacific Gas and Electric.

One up side of the area I'm in - not only is marajuana growing legal (on the local level, feds are still stupid about it), cryptocoin mining is widespread and common so the police don't have much incentive to go "overboard" raiding a place due to "suspected grow operations" and are less likely to ASSUME a place with a lot of "fan noise" is an "illegal grow operation".

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000
If you arent breaking any laws  you will be fine..   I know  that feeling that you are going through when you think someone is watching you.
You are constantly looking out at everything as it is suspicious. You r mind starts playing tricks on you.
Activity: 2730
Merit: 632
-snip-

Theres nothing to be worried about as long you do make pay on those electricity consumption and maybe they are pressuming that theres illegal behind on those yards you do have (actually a mining space) its really quiet odd but theres nothing to be worried off and issuing warrants? for what? Mining isnt really illegal unless if they do want to taxed you out.
Activity: 9
PGE - portland/vancouver area?

It's not mining that illegal, it's the small time grow operations they are going after. I think your paranoia is warranted and make sense. I would be looking into a new front door. They love to kick them down when they have search warrants.
Activity: 68
Go with your gut feeling, but i've not heard of any miners homes being raided unless you live in some communist country.

In regards to the 3rd point, probably unrelated. I seriously doubt they would tip you off by ordering a book like 1984.

In Soviet Russia you dont mine Bitcoin, Bitcoin mines you! Smiley
Activity: 39
Go with your gut feeling, but i've not heard of any miners homes being raided unless you live in some communist country.

In regards to the 3rd point, probably unrelated. I seriously doubt they would tip you off by ordering a book like 1984.
70kWh in a day is only only 2.9 kWh in a hour or 2 T9s.  Yes likely very loud but some people put up with it.

Running 2 miners would not cause any usual activity from power company.

This summer we had a few interns and one of them said his college roommate runs 10 x S9 in dorm apartment because of free electricity and central air conditioning. Don't know how people would be able to live in dorm room with 10 miners running Wink
Activity: 756
Merit: 560
Im from California originally and I used to run 10kw worth of equipment in my garage. I was paying $1100-1300/mo in power and over the course of 3 years I never had an issue. The power company did not care as long as my bill was paid. The only thing they said was if it got shut off due to non payment they would require a $2000 deposit to turn it back on based on my usage. I only had PGE for my gas though, my power was through a local company.
Activity: 84
Dude how do you mine in apartment @ 70 KWh? I have 3 miners running at 1.2 KWh each and there is noise / heat problem. To be @ 70 KWh it would be 58 A741 running.  If you are running such a large mining operation from an apartment I am surprised none of your neighbors approached you about the noise.  I am currently running my miners under 3600 RPM so they're not very noisy but nevertheless you can hear across entire apartment, even front door if door to the room where they are is open.

I would talk to your building management first, tell them about suspicious activity and tell them you have expensive mining equipment and are concerned. Call electrical company and ask them about discounts for high electrical consumption, tell them you are a bitcoin miner.

70kWh in a day is only only 2.9 kWh in a hour or 2 T9s.  Yes likely very loud but some people put up with it.
All of this has happened within two months since I started mining, I use about 70 KWh per day...

Dude how do you mine in apartment @ 70 KWh? I have 3 miners running at 1.2 KWh each and there is noise / heat problem. To be @ 70 KWh it would be 58 A741 running.  If you are running such a large mining operation from an apartment I am surprised none of your neighbors approached you about the noise.  I am currently running my miners under 3600 RPM so they're not very noisy but nevertheless you can hear across entire apartment, even front door if door to the room where they are is open.

I would talk to your building management first, tell them about suspicious activity and tell them you have expensive mining equipment and are concerned. Call electrical company and ask them about discounts for high electrical consumption, tell them you are a bitcoin miner.
Activity: 84
Read what happen to this family and don't trust some over zealous detective won't try to make a case to advance his career.  This family is very lucky their kids weren't shot.  Your best bet is be proactive, discuss with the authorities what's going on before things get out of hand.

Based on that observation and the belief that such equipment is often used in home marijuana growing operations, deputies subsequently searched the couple’s household trash.

Vegetable material found in the trash actually was loose tea leaves, according to the suit. Deputies later said that the vegetation tested positive for marijuana based on a field test.

But it was never submitted to a laboratory for testing.

Instead, a search warrant was obtained and officers armed with assault rifles conducted a raid on the couple’s home while their children, a seventh-grader and a kindergartner, were present.

The raid was timed to coincide with a planned press conference about the effort to fight marijuana trafficking.
Activity: 16
Appreciate all the advice from all of you guys on this. I'll probably reach out to the police tomorrow morning unless they "reach out to me" first.
I was joking around with my girlfriend that if they do bust in, I'm going to ask if they'd be willing to pose next to my mining rig.
Pages:
Jump to: