Pages:
Author

Topic: [POLL] End the 'bit' controversy: What to (nick)name 100 Satoshi / 1 µXBT - page 2. (Read 7662 times)

legendary
Activity: 1008
Merit: 1001
Let the chips fall where they may.
Perhaps a better example would be the kilo. Officially a kilo is a kilogram, but in common everyday use we call it just a kilo. But a 1000th of a kilo is not a microkilo but a gram (you drop the kilo from the kilogram and you're left with gram).

You appear to be mis-understanding the metric system (which, incidentally is what prompted that original reddit poster to propose "bit").

The way the metric system works, values are expressed in the following format:

Using the same prefix or multiple prefixes is formally not allowed: since it would obviously lead to confusion. (sometimes is happens with really common prefixes though. The SI system formally defines its base-unit for mass as the kilogram)

In the kilogram example, the kilo (meaning x103) is actually the prefix. The "gram" is actually the base-unit. Thus it does not make sense to say 1/1000th of a kilo.

Common prefixes:
  • Mega M(x106)
  • kilo k(x103)
  • (none) (x100)
  • milli m(x10-3)
  • micro µ(x10-6)
Since one µg is 1,000,000,000 times smaller than 1kg, I am not sure why you would expect dividing a kilo by 1000 would give you a microkilo. Maybe  millikilo.

Incidentally, the proposed "mike" short-hand for 100 satoshies does the same thing: (mostly) keep the prefix, but drop the unit (which is implied by context).

legendary
Activity: 1106
Merit: 1005
except newcomers are more likely to shorten a long word like 'microbitcoin' to simply microbit, and thereby automatically imply 1 bit = 1 bitcoin than they are to call it a bit if they have never heard of a bit (as in 1 bit = 1 µBTC) before.

Therefore it would be equivalent to calling a centimeter a meter.

Perhaps a better example would be the kilo. Officially a kilo is a kilogram, but in common everyday use we call it just a kilo. But a 1000th of a kilo is not a microkilo millikilo but a gram (you drop the kilo from the kilogram and you're left with gram).

if you say that a bit is a microbitcoin, and then a kilobit would be a kilomicrobitcoin, that would not make sense. But effectively that is what you are doing when you name a microbitcoin a bit.

/edited typo
legendary
Activity: 3724
Merit: 3063
Leave no FUD unchallenged
Pretty sure people are still going to refer to them as microbits or bits regardless of whatever other names you keep coming up with.  It's hardly a "controversy".  Call them what you like, but don't expect people to agree with you because you think that posting a poll on a forum is going to change peoples' minds.  All the time you're arguing about it, more people are jumping on board with Bitcoin and learning the existing names.  So the longer you take to reach an agreement, the less likely you are to convince everyone to stop using microbits (or bits for short).  I've only been around crypto for half a year or so, and microbits is now firmly and forever burned into my consciousness.

i don't mind microbits, but in what universe is 'bits' short for microbits? That's like saying meters is short for centimeters.

Not quite.  If we were discussing 'mits' or 'mets' as the new word for centimeter, then that would be similar argument.  Microbitcoins shortened to bits would be analogous to centimeters shortened to mets.  Bits doesn't mean a whole bitcoin and mets wouldn't mean a whole meter.  But either way, it's probably easier if we just stick with microbits.  It's not exactly difficult to learn, so I don't see why we need to shorten it.

Activity: 174
Merit: 102
An honest poll would have the "bit" option as well, in order to see if your preconception about bit matches the one of the community.

But OP already determined that "bit" is bad. So why include it? Tongue
Activity: 517
Merit: 501
An honest poll would have the "bit" option as well, in order to see if your preconception about bit matches the one of the community.
legendary
Feel free to sell your coins. I am more informed now than I was two years ago and hopefully will be more informed two years from now.  I also believed standardizing pricing mBTC was preferable but I now see that as a temporary measure which would probably need to be repeated again.  My opinions change based on new information and observations, most people call that learning.

wow, are you sure? Since if bitcoin becomes worth as much as $1,000,000 per coin than 1 satoshi would be worth exactly $0.01 and 1µBTC would be exactly $1

Do you really think we need to move even more decimal spaces? What do you think bitcoin will be worth then, a billion?

I have no idea how you got that from what I wrote and I suspect you don't either.

oh sorry, i though i read µBTC instead of mBTC

Pretty sure people are still going to refer to them as microbits or bits regardless of whatever other names you keep coming up with.  It's hardly a "controversy".  Call them what you like, but don't expect people to agree with you because you think that posting a poll on a forum is going to change peoples' minds.  All the time you're arguing about it, more people are jumping on board with Bitcoin and learning the existing names.  So the longer you take to reach an agreement, the less likely you are to convince everyone to stop using microbits (or bits for short).  I've only been around crypto for half a year or so, and microbits is now firmly and forever burned into my consciousness.

i don't mind microbits, but in what universe is 'bits' short for microbits? That's like saying meters is short for centimeters.
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
Feel free to sell your coins. I am more informed now than I was two years ago and hopefully will be more informed two years from now.  I also believed standardizing pricing mBTC was preferable but I now see that as a temporary measure which would probably need to be repeated again.  My opinions change based on new information and observations, most people call that learning.

wow, are you sure? Since if bitcoin becomes worth as much as $1,000,000 per coin than 1 satoshi would be worth exactly $0.01 and 1µBTC would be exactly $1

Do you really think we need to move even more decimal spaces? What do you think bitcoin will be worth then, a billion?

I have no idea how you got that from what I wrote and I suspect you don't either.
legendary
Feel free to sell your coins. I am more informed now than I was two years ago and hopefully will be more informed two years from now.  I also believed standardizing pricing mBTC was preferable but I now see that as a temporary measure which would probably need to be repeated again.  My opinions change based on new information and observations, most people call that learning.

donator
Gerald Davis
Feel free to sell your coins.

I am seriously considering selling a portion. If popularity rather than correctness is what is important, then it would be silly not to invest in the Alt with the highest transaction volume.

Dogecoin does not have this problem because the unit in common usage (1 doge) is worth such a small amount of money (ignoring financial software integration concerns -- that would be an implementation detail: a correctness thing.)

Sounds like a super investing strategy.  Obviously the nominal units not the actual value being transacted is what matters.
legendary
Activity: 3724
Merit: 3063
Leave no FUD unchallenged
Pretty sure people are still going to refer to them as microbits or bits regardless of whatever other names you keep coming up with.  It's hardly a "controversy".  Call them what you like, but don't expect people to agree with you because you think that posting a poll on a forum is going to change peoples' minds.  All the time you're arguing about it, more people are jumping on board with Bitcoin and learning the existing names.  So the longer you take to reach an agreement, the less likely you are to convince everyone to stop using microbits (or bits for short).  I've only been around crypto for half a year or so, and microbits is now firmly and forever burned into my consciousness.
legendary
Feel free to sell your coins.

I am seriously considering selling a portion. If popularity rather than correctness is what is important, then it would be silly not to invest in the Alt with the highest transaction volume.

Dogecoin does not have this problem because the unit in common usage (1 doge) is worth such a small amount of money (ignoring financial software integration concerns -- that would be an implementation detail: a correctness thing.)
donator
Gerald Davis
Feel free to sell your coins. I am more informed now than I was two years ago and hopefully will be more informed two years from now.  I also believed standardizing pricing mBTC was preferable but I now see that as a temporary measure which would probably need to be repeated again.  My opinions change based on new information and observations, most people call that learning.
legendary
Also the nice thing is that since bit (general nonbitcoin word) is a discrete unit there is no such concept of sub bit.  Therefore without spelling out "coin" it becomes disambiguous that the speaker is talking about only bitcoin.

"Bits" is a good colloquial for uBTC.  The idea that people won't be able to figure it out is just silly.  "That will be 22 bits please", short, simple, easy.  It still provides two decimal places which means easy integration into legacy accounting software.

(Bold mine)

With a 180 degree turn like that, I am wondering if I should just convert all my BTC to dogecoin (it is more popular after all).
donator
Gerald Davis
So since you felt the need to quote me from 2 years ago here is a new quote.

Millies, mBTC, mikes, uBTC have been proven to be horrible.  They are cludgy and nerdy and the chance of mainstream adoption is essentially zil.  Nothing has really happened after a couple years of pushing it. 

Bits is the only thing which has shown any momentum at all.  If BitPay starts using it, we will as well, hopefully others will and I have faith humans who can conceptualize a decentralized peer to peer currency system will be able to figure out bits.  "Bits" is a good colloquial for uBTC.  The idea that people won't be able to figure it out is just silly.  "That will be 22 bits please", short, simple, easy.  It still provides two decimal places which means easy integration into legacy accounting software.  We use uBTC internally for this exact reason.  Many accounting software packages can't handle the exchange rates or precision required to use either BTC or satoshis.  
legendary
Activity: 3654
Merit: 1217
I like a 'finney', to honor Hal Finney.

It's related to the early days of bitcoin development.
And it sounds good.

Finney sounds much better than all the options given here (I had voted for xi, by the way). I am tired of the lame and silly names such as bit, milli, micro.etc. Let's find some cool names.  Grin
legendary
Why don't you add "bit" like multiple people have asked?

The only reason you would not is that you know it would win the vote. Prove me wrong.

I think singularity has a point here. If "bit" is as obviously bad as we say it is, the "bit" option should garner fewer votes than the "anything but 'bit'"  option.
Activity: 31
Merit: 0
Except for there is no confusion. You are just saying there is confusion because YOU don't like bit.

Put "bit" into the vote or it's less than worthless.
Activity: 154
Merit: 1000
Fica Tranquilo
I like a 'finney', to honor Hal Finney.

It's related to the early days of bitcoin development.
And it sounds good.

added

Voted.
legendary
legendary
Why don't you add "bit" like multiple people have asked?

The only reason you would not is that you know it would win the vote. Prove me wrong.

because having bit would not end the controversy and the confusion.

however we could create a poll where we can vote between 'bit' and whatever the winner of this poll is.
Pages:
Jump to: