Pages:
Author

Topic: [POLL] End the 'bit' controversy: What to (nick)name 100 Satoshi / 1 µXBT - page 3. (Read 7662 times)

Activity: 31
Merit: 0
Why don't you add "bit" like multiple people have asked?

The only reason you would not is that you know it would win the vote. Prove me wrong.
legendary
Activity: 1106
Merit: 1005
I like a 'finney', to honor Hal Finney.

It's related to the early days of bitcoin development.
And it sounds good.

added
Activity: 462
Merit: 253
Who needs a (nick)name for 100 Satoshi?

100 Satoshi are simply 100 Satoshi. Bitcoin for the full unit and Satoshi for the smallest fraction are the only names we need. These are established by natural use.

Besides that OP's options are total crap.

ya.ya.yo!

If people want a nickname for it, saying 100 sats seems quite logical.
Activity: 154
Merit: 1000
Fica Tranquilo
I like a 'finney', to honor Hal Finney.

It's related to the early days of bitcoin development.
And it sounds good.
legendary
Activity: 1806
Merit: 1024
Who needs a (nick)name for 100 Satoshi?

100 Satoshi are simply 100 Satoshi. Bitcoin for the full unit and Satoshi for the smallest fraction are the only names we need. These are established by natural use.

Besides that OP's options are total crap.

ya.ya.yo!
legendary
I know my list doesn't have many options but those are the names i have seen around, if you have any suggestions feel free to place them.
Activity: 154
Merit: 1000
Fica Tranquilo
I wanted to put in a vote, but I don't like any of the options.
Since bit is fine for me, but it could also be something else, as long as it is not something from your short and inappropriate list.
Activity: 462
Merit: 250
Check out Fastslots.co !!!!
I think xi would be the best, all the others are too similar.
legendary
Activity: 3024
Merit: 1640
lose: unfind ... loose: untight
the consensus has decided on bit, with a over 70% vote..

As has been pointed out before, you don't seem to know what the word 'consensus' means. You don't have the consensus of the community. All you can claim is a majority of the minority that bothered to vote.

there is no point spending months debating names and never using them.

Maybe this is part of the problem. At this point in time, whatever we end up calling a unit for 100 satoshis is irrelevant - it is such a tiny amount that it has no real-world applicability. When the unit gets useful, a consensus will emerge - affected folk will finally take an interest in the topic.
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015
100 satoshis (or 100 satosh).

Thanks.
legendary
Activity: 3024
Merit: 1640
lose: unfind ... loose: untight
Also, why is this poll valid, and the one i posted is not?

I don't know about the other poll - I didn't follow the link. But your poll excludes known preferred choices, and includes superfluous inline editorial commentary. I have no training in scientific polling, but I am pretty sure that both of these are no-nos.

Plus, no option for 'pie'. Mmmmm... pie.
legendary
Your desperation is slightly sad.

Get over it man. You can call bitcoin whatever you like. Other people just disagree with you. It's ok.
legendary

wrong, the community voted for NAMING the unit µBTC but there never was a poll on WHAT the name should be. And this poll is there to do just that. You are blaming me for skewing a poll while you did exactly just that. I am just repairing the damage you caused. And i'm definitely not the only one who thinks this:

there were weeks of discusswion and polls.. long before this one:
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/1000000-bits-1-bitcoin-future-proofing-bitcoin-for-common-usage-vote-592691

and then after the lengthy and endless mini polls and debates. the link above is the final result that meant to have been the end of the saga..

now some A*holes are bringing it up again. but this time being biased a*holes perposefully ignoring bit..

the failure of these a*holes is their biased and rigged voting. without looking at the previous polls or debates to have a truly open vote. thats why im pissed off with them dragging up something that has already been debated to death which already had a larger vote winner compared to anything the bitcoin foundation have had or anything else that had been voted on in the past.

infact more people prefer bit.. then prefer pedofiles in the bitcoin foundation
infact more people voted for bit.. then the total voters of the foundation. meaning more people care about bit, then they do about the foundation.

so review the history and realise that endlessly going in circles is not getting anything solved. the consensus has decided on bit, with a over 70% vote..

now lets just use it and move on with other projects. there is no point spending months debating names and never using them. thats just delaying innovation.

you think my poll is rigged while your poll has the options:

use 1 bitcoin
use 0.001 bitcoin
use 0.000001 bitcoin AND name it bit

how is that not rigged?

My poll is to use 0.0000001 and vote for the name. Bit and µBTC are both banned from the poll, but you can enter trillions of other names. The reasons why Bit and µBTC are banned have been discussed to death allready, i suggest you read up on it.

Again, people did not vote for the NAME bit, they voted for the AMOUNT of µBTC, and the fact that you rigged you poll to name the unit a bit doesn't prove anything.

The name 'bit' is not innovative. The name 'satoshi' was. There's no one in the forums (even newbies) who ask 'what is a satoshi and how much is it worth', but there are many people who don't know what a bit is and how much is it worth. And, even more dangerously, people disagree on how much a bit is worth.

also, 'ubit' is just as catchy in my opinion and not nearly as confusing. and mikes and mills are very similar to cents and mills are ACTUALLY in use in currency as well.  https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mill_(currency)

The whole point of naming the amount of µBTC with a catchy name was to promote bitcoin to newcomers and avoid confusion. 'Bit' has, in the short period of time were people used it, already proven to FAIL at that job. While either of the names provided in the poll (and in my opinion ESPECIALLY ubit, mills and mikes) are perfect for the job, they're catchy and immediately obvious to even the freshest newcomer.
legendary
Activity: 4214
Merit: 4458

wrong, the community voted for NAMING the unit µBTC but there never was a poll on WHAT the name should be. And this poll is there to do just that. You are blaming me for skewing a poll while you did exactly just that. I am just repairing the damage you caused. And i'm definitely not the only one who thinks this:

there were weeks of discusswion and polls.. long before this one:
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/1000000-bits-1-bitcoin-future-proofing-bitcoin-for-common-usage-vote-592691

and then after the lengthy and endless mini polls and debates. the link above is the final result that meant to have been the end of the saga..

now some A*holes are bringing it up again. but this time being biased a*holes perposefully ignoring bit..

the failure of these a*holes is their biased and rigged voting. without looking at the previous polls or debates to have a truly open vote. thats why im pissed off with them dragging up something that has already been debated to death which already had a larger vote winner compared to anything the bitcoin foundation have had or anything else that had been voted on in the past.

infact more people prefer bit.. then prefer pedofiles in the bitcoin foundation
infact more people voted for bit.. then the total voters of the foundation. meaning more people care about bit, then they do about the foundation.

so review the history and realise that endlessly going in circles is not getting anything solved. the consensus has decided on bit, with a over 70% vote..

now lets just use it and move on with other projects. there is no point spending months debating names and never using them. thats just delaying innovation.

legendary
Oh come on dude!

This poll is worthless since you decided on your own that "bit" is not viable even though most people disagree with you.

You make a pole specifically where "bit" is not an option simply because you know that this is the case.

Have some honour man.

first of all there's not a majority of people who disagree, it only looks like currently a 'bit' is used widely on reddit as the most common nickname. However there is much controversy on the name.

Also, the people that 'disagree' with me come with arguments like: "but 100 satoshi need a name so we can divided a bit in 100 satoshi" which is NOT an argument for the name, but an argument for the unit itself.

Also, why is this poll valid, and the one i posted is not?

The poll i made is to find alternatives for the word 'bit' that is not controversial and not confusing.

1 millionth of a bitcoin = a bit.
100 millionth of a bitcoin = a cent or a bit cent.

In my opinion this is the most appropriate solution for the average person.

Stop pushing your agenda onto people Zimmah.

this is exactly what i mean, people just want a name for the unit but they believe 'bit' is the only available name. My goal is just to show that 'bit' is not the only possible name and there are much better names out there.

Also, a bitcent would be 0.01BTC and not 0.00000001BTC (which is called a satoshi)

A*holes...  please stop making new poll. this is like the bitcoin foundation re voting and revoting until finally they get a pedofile voted in..

it does no good for anyone..

the community has already voted bit as being over 70% winner out of over 500 voters.. so unless you are offering any brand new names stop making newpolls that are all the same old idea's but simply and with huge biases ignoring 'bit'.

Below this line are some quotes

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/how-much-is-1-bit-617549

I'm increasingly seeing people use the "bit" unit, how much is 1 bit? I've never seen this unit explained.
I'm increasingly seeing people use the "bit" unit, how much is 1 bit? I've never seen this unit explained.

Not sure. It's not on here: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Units

You sure it's not just an abbreviation of Bitcoin. Ie 1 bitcoin equals 1 bit?

Not this again  Cheesy

All these units are really confusing. Havent even heard of half of them.

Having two decimal points is something a lot of financial software has come to expect…

http://blog.bitpay.com/2014/05/02/bitpay-bitcoin-and-where-to-put-that-decimal-point.html
(yet another argument for the UNIT, not for the NAME)

Bit is just an abbreviation of Bitcoin.

People who don't feel like typing out the entire word "Bitcoin" will often stop after the first three letters, assuming that the rest of the word is implied.

As such, 1 bit is currently (at the moment that I'm typing this) equal to $470.00 at BitStamp (see there's that word "Bit" again imbedded in the name of the exchange).

That means that 1 bit is equal to:

• 1 bitcoin
  • 1,000 millibitcoin
  • 1,000,000 microbitcoin
  • 100,000,000 Satoshi

This is going to bring most Americans to a grinding halt since we didn't go by metric system - that was taught secondary as an aside so most of us feel like 3rd graders again when we encounter it, right before summarily dismissing it in favor of the good old "Murican way.  Grin

bit is not metric at all! Apart from it never being defined not even on the tipping bot website where I saw it being used most, people hugely disagree on what it means and it totally confuses people.

mɃ and uɃ or µɃ are "metric-ish" as they are compositions of a base unit Ƀ/BTC/Bitcoin/BTC (we all know) and a multiplier out of the well known set of nano (the smallest that would make sense for Bitcoin denominations), micro (µ/u to distinguish from milli that also starts with m), milli, kilo, Mega, Giga, Tera (and as Bitcoiners we increasingly get used to Peta-hashes/s as well as Exa later this year … and eventually next year Zetta Wink )

- snip -
I personally don't like bit as abbreviation for btc because it can cause confusion with other bits like electronics bits or quantum bits

Or other monetary bits?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bit_%28money%29

Having two decimal points is something a lot of financial software has come to expect…

http://blog.bitpay.com/2014/05/02/bitpay-bitcoin-and-where-to-put-that-decimal-point.html

A bit is a micro-bitcoin. This leaves two decimal places...

From link above:

"Fundamentally, the goal is to move to micro-bitcoins (uBTC, “bits”). This is most compatible with existing financial software."

It's not at all compatible with an already existing word used in the tech world as well. I am pretty sure it's just an occurrence we'll get rid of eventually.

I don't know who came up with the idea. I don't think it's very clever to introduce "bit" as another unit. It's simply confusing. Satoshi and Bitcoin are enough.

ya.ya.yo!

If you know what satoshi's are, it is 1 satoshi. Or 1/1000000 of a Bitcoin
Nope. 1 bit = 100 satoshi

Nope. 1 bit (abbreviation for bitcoin) = 100,000,000 satoshi

100 satoshi is a mike ( abbreviation for microbitcoin)  

People, get it together....

BTC1 Bitcoin = 1,000,000 Bits
BTC 0.000001 Bitcoin = 1 Bit
BTC 0.00000001 Bitcoin = 1 Satoshi
0.01 Bits = 1 Satoshi

Bit is solid because in the current protocol it leaves 1 Satoshi (the smallest possible increment) as 0.01 Bits.

This makes "Bits" or "Bit" compatible with every existing accounting system/shopping cart out there....

edit: DOH! added correct 0's

the fact that this tread exists means bit is a terrible name, although having a name for the 100 satoshi unit is a nice thing, 'bit' is just a very stupid name.

If you know what satoshi's are, it is 1 satoshi. Or 1/1000000 of a Bitcoin
Nope. 1 bit = 100 satoshi

Nope. 1 bit (abbreviation for bitcoin) = 100,000,000 satoshi

100 satoshi is a mike ( abbreviation for microbitcoin)  

there, that's logical.

1 dollar = 1 dollar
1/100 dollar = 1 cent (short for centi)
so 1/1000000th of a bitcoin = mike (short for micro)

+1

This guys actually came up with something that is not confusing and just as short plus it has an actual meaning that comes from the unit it represents. I am gonna start using this immediately.

Simply means 1 BITcoin

From reddit:

This seems like a very American problem.
I buy my milk in liters (l)
I buy my wine in centiliters (cl)
I buy my nasal spray in milliliters (ml)
I buy my rice in kilograms (kg)
I buy my Coke in grams (g)
I take my MDMA in milligrams (mg)
I measure my penis in micrometers (um)
It comes natural to most of the world and if you get it wrong once you don't get it wrong again!
(this is the top comment) http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1rmto3/its_bits/

It is my understanding that "bit" is slang for the male genitalia in French.

People have been bikeshedding about these things for years now. There have been bitcointalk threads about this since 2011 and maybe even before that.
The developers of bitcoin-related software seem to stick to metric prefixes and it seems unlikely that this will ever change. There's no need to worry about the latest reddit proposal; it will have zero impact like all the others before it.

you may have a point. In most polls the traditional 'millibit' seems to win consistently.

Yep. If people want a nickname, pick anything that won't be confused with hard-drive sizes, FFS.
/u/changetip 5 mBTC

also, there was a thread about this years ago, but they never managed to actually find a name other than µBTC apperantly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mill_(currency)
legendary
Activity: 4214
Merit: 4458
A*holes...  please stop making new poll. this is like the bitcoin foundation re voting and revoting until finally they get a pedofile voted in..

it does no good for anyone..

the community has already voted bit as being over 70% winner out of over 500 voters.. so unless you are offering any brand new names stop making newpolls that are all the same old idea's but simply and with huge biases ignoring 'bit'.

Activity: 525
Merit: 500
1 millionth of a bitcoin = a bit.
100 millionth of a bitcoin = a cent or a bit cent.

In my opinion this is the most appropriate solution for the average person.

Stop pushing your agenda onto people Zimmah.
Oh come on dude!

This poll is worthless since you decided on your own that "bit" is not viable even though most people disagree with you.

You make a pole specifically where "bit" is not an option simply because you know that this is the case.

Have some honour man.
Pages:
Jump to: