Pages:
Author

Topic: Poll on UK Wealth Tax - page 2. (Read 1906 times)

Activity: 490
Merit: 500
March 11, 2014, 07:59:44 AM
Wealth taxes are usually done with good intentions but create distortions and moral hazards that take long to fix
Activity: 728
March 11, 2014, 07:51:32 AM
Higher taxation to rich doesn't hurt them or stop them from making money.

Still one of wealth tax might be massively problematic to implement. How do you value wealth? Stocks? If people taxed don't have cash on hand they are forced to sell some and if this is wide practise it will affect the markets...

All in all it's structural issue and there is no simple easy solutions in long term...
legendary
Activity: 952
Merit: 1005
--Signature Designs-- http://bit.ly/1Pjbx77
March 11, 2014, 07:44:57 AM
We have a national debt of over £1 trillion because we have a budget deficit every year. A 20% wealth tax is not going to solve the structural problem, it will only force entrepreneurs and investors out.
Activity: 140
Merit: 100
March 11, 2014, 07:24:41 AM
A one-off tax of the rich has strong public support and would solve the UK's economic crisis at a stroke

No it doesn't and no it won't.

The tax would be extremely popular. We commissioned a YouGov poll of over 2,000 people to test attitudes. There was very strong support, with 74% of the population approving (44% strongly approving).

Who did they gather exactly? Clearly people who had something against people being rich and wanted to take all their wealth from them, these political polls are always bullshit especially if you look at the actual maths behind them, 2000 people is no accurate measure of what a whole country thinks, i expect they added the 'over' part because they didn't want to let on just how few actually voted in such a stupid and selective poll.

Never mind the incredibly flawed political data, while you can argue that the rich could afford such a tax the government spends so much that even if you took away 90% of the wealth it still wouldn't be enough to pay off the debts and cover the inflation that the central bank and the U.K government is creating. Our government, much like most western governments are trying to dodge the main issues instead of dealing with the problem and are only wanting to take populist moves which is why they come up with these shitty ideas.

Now before silly UK politicals come along and try to accuse me of cosying up to the rich, I'm against all stupidly high taxes because the government should be forced to balance their budgets like everybody else, this is also why I support Bitcoin because if we can finally destroy fiat currencies, the only way a government will be able to spend beyond their means is through borrowing and that will force them to default quicker.

Completely agree with all of the above.

One of my family members is a millionaire, he worked the last 50 years to get where he is, grafting to the top from the poor working class docks of Birkenhead and now, because people are envious, he should pay a shit load of his life's work to support them and clear their debt? If so much of the UK wasn't so reliant on state hand outs and living on credit, the debt and deficit wouldn't be what it is today. That and labours reckless borrowing and lack of regulatory enforcement of the banks.

Now, legalising weed and prostitution, regulating and taxing, that's an idea I can get behind. Not because I want to do any of these things, but it will save a hell of a lot of police time so they can tackle crime that is really detrimental to society, and guarantee an almost never ending revenue stream.

Edit: Spelling
legendary
Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000
March 11, 2014, 07:21:53 AM
A one-off tax of the rich has strong public support and would solve the UK's economic crisis at a stroke

The tax would be extremely popular. We commissioned a YouGov poll of over 2,000 people to test attitudes. There was very strong support, with 74% of the population approving (44% strongly approving).

Who did they gather exactly? Clearly people who had something against people being rich and wanted to take all their wealth from them, these political polls are always bullshit especially if you look at the actual maths behind them, 2000 people is no accurate measure of what a whole country thinks, i expect they added the 'over' part because they didn't want to let on just how few actually voted in such a stupid and selective poll.

Never mind the incredibly flawed political data, while you can argue that the rich could afford such a tax the government spends so much that even if you took away 90% of the wealth it still wouldn't be enough to pay off the debts and cover the inflation that the central bank and the U.K government is creating. Our government, much like most western governments are trying to dodge the main issues instead of dealing with the problem and are only wanting to take populist moves which is why they come up with these shitty ideas.

Now before silly UK politicals come along and try to accuse me of cosying up to the rich, I'm against all stupidly high taxes because the government should be forced to balance their budgets like everybody else, this is also why I support Bitcoin because if we can finally destroy fiat currencies, the only way a government will be able to spend beyond their means is through borrowing and that will force them to default quicker.
They didn't have to gather people who have something against the rich.
Only less then 10% is considered rich so if you pick a bunch of random people for your poll at least 50% of them will always support income tax. Why? Because they envy the rich, hope they will support the country and pay all the expenses, that's how communism was built.
I'm not rich, but I'll never support income tax.

I'm not rich either and it irks me I have to say that because I know there are pricks out there particularly here in the UK who do the American thing in politics of either acting like you're either with us or against us or if you believe one thing then you must be a member of 'that' party. As far taxes, it would be great if we could get rid of them entirely but I would settle for a 10% - 15% flat tax rate, this would force governments to spend wisely and a flat tax would mean there aren't any loopholes for people to whine about.
legendary
Activity: 3752
Merit: 1217
March 11, 2014, 07:16:06 AM
Why punish success?

Tell that to the retards who call for wealth redistribution.
Activity: 658
Small Red and Bad
March 11, 2014, 06:58:35 AM

They didn't have to gather people who have something against the rich.
Only less then 10% is considered rich so if you pick a bunch of random people for your poll at least 50% of them will always support income tax. Why? Because they envy the rich, hope they will support the country and pay all the expenses, that's how communism was built.
I'm not rich, but I'll never support income tax.
legendary
Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000
March 11, 2014, 05:25:30 AM

legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003
March 10, 2014, 10:02:42 PM
I'm not sure how it works over there, but here in 'Murica, the more you raise taxes on the rich, the quicker they start moving to Mexico (where there are no government services and the government still has the common sense not to try to milk every last nickel and dime out of the rich).

Either that or they raise prices to compensate, so people would have to further ask government to take over different aspects of business to prevent this from occurring.  This process repeats until government has total control over the economy and thus, totalitarian state.
Activity: 350
Merit: 251
March 10, 2014, 09:39:07 PM
I'm not sure how it works over there, but here in 'Murica, the more you raise taxes on the rich, the quicker they start moving to Mexico (where there are no government services and the government still has the common sense not to try to milk every last nickel and dime out of the rich).
legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003
March 10, 2014, 06:50:56 PM
Why punish success?
Activity: 770
March 10, 2014, 06:35:26 PM
Was recently looking at the Glasgow Media Group (Glasgow University Media research) website (such as it is) and came across this call for a UK wealth tax. The rationale is explained in the link - but basically to pay off public debt.

It states (in the link above) that "A YouGov poll from June 2010 suggested that 74% of the population would favour a one-off tax on the wealthiest 6 million people in Britain" - and so I wondered what percentage of the population of BitcoinTalk might agree with such a proposal ??

edit: another explanatory article here - as the Glasgow site seems slow
Pages:
Jump to: