Pages:
Author

Topic: [POLL] Will BFL deliver a Bitforce SC ASIC by November 30, 2012 - page 2. (Read 6458 times)

Activity: 185
Merit: 100
They may very well have something they will call an ASIC, however looking at what happened last time.... i figure 10 GH/sec is more likely than 40 GH/sec. although since im heavily invested in GPU im hoping its 0 GH/sec xD Tongue
Activity: 58
Merit: 0
This world we are all in is riddled with scams and promise's ., i trade a lot in the stock market and the same rational decisions used to pick out anything i'm investing any money has been used here. first of all any company that used paypal for a form of a payment knows
that if the wall falls through on them paypal will freeze there bank accounts faster then you can say "ASIC"

BFL labs is not new making their product., they have produced functional equipment that is already out and
producing mining capability.. also if you take consideration a VC.

Working with a VC, they are trying to make as much money possible., that's why they have upgrade programs
and are seeking there craft.

Do i think it will come by oct 31.. i hope so

but my answer is no., It still takes a very logistical time for this product to be shipped in 8 weeks.

Activity: 72
Merit: 10
Maybe the BFL old lady from QC is now manually soldering the transistors for the ASIC
legendary
Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001
Hopefully the shipping times get reduced dramatically. The rest of there issues i can probably live with at the moment. The demand is obviously huge so there should be no reason to under produce on units. I'll take a miner that uses twice the power at half the price for the same MH/s any day. 9+ weeks plus to reach my door is the deal breaker even if it still is the better option from a profitability stand point, which it is. I actually just canceled my order because of that. I'll re evaluate them in a few months.

Yeah, I'm actually contemplating the same. 3 months to reach your door after paying for the order is insane. What are they doing, digging up the silicon and building each chip by hand for the small devices?
Maybe they didn't expect the volume of FPGAs? Ugh, who knows...

I wish there was a reliable company representative that would be around to answer all our questions, give BFL some good PR, and put some of the cynicism and conspiracies to rest Tongue
Activity: 272
Merit: 250
Cryptopreneur
Hopefully the shipping times get reduced dramatically. The rest of there issues i can probably live with at the moment. The demand is obviously huge so there should be no reason to under produce on units. I'll take a miner that uses twice the power at half the price for the same MH/s any day. 9+ weeks plus to reach my door is the deal breaker even if it still is the better option from a profitability stand point, which it is. I actually just canceled my order because of that. I'll re evaluate them in a few months.
legendary
I can't say for sure what they would do if they do not meet the specs. But with the last prouct they released, they lowered the price from $699 to $599 when it was found that the product missed the projected specs on hash rate and power consumption. With that product one would assume they had very, very little wiggle room between their costs and the selling price because of the particular FPGA chip that was used. With this product, it is assumed that the costs to manufacture the actual units, after NRE costs are set aside of course, is a much smaller percentage of the current listed selling price. If they did have to lower the initial price, it would cause some logistical headaches but could be compensated for by extending the time before which they lower the price again, competing products being unavailable that is.

Ah, didn't know that they dropped prices...though that makes sense. I noticed that BFL has been around since August 2009, but are the first products they've released been the FPGAs?

If so, I imagine that it's been sort of 'trial and error' for them to get everything right within the Bitcoin community. Given a year of FPGA deployment so far, I'd hope that they have a better idea of what to do and look for when they release ASIC devices. Maybe we'll get "closer-to-posted" specs...or maybe faster shipping...or maybe a discount of sorts? At this point I guess only time will tell...
Activity: 504
Merit: 500
Might be they deliver some sort of new product - but by no chance the ASIC they claim to be developing...

I can't tell if I'm being trolled or people just don't know how businesses work...

Let's simplify it a bit:
1. Product offered
2. Product bought in large quantities
3. Product meets expectations

Does anybody know what happens if #3 isn't met?

This isn't rhetorical by the way...I'm actually curious about what people think is going to happen given the cynical views so far.

I can't say for sure what they would do if they do not meet the specs. But with the last prouct they released, they lowered the price from $699 to $599 when it was found that the product missed the projected specs on hash rate and power consumption. With that product one would assume they had very, very little wiggle room between their costs and the selling price because of the particular FPGA chip that was used. With this product, it is assumed that the costs to manufacture the actual units, after NRE costs are set aside of course, is a much smaller percentage of the current listed selling price. If they did have to lower the initial price, it would cause some logistical headaches but could be compensated for by extending the time before which they lower the price again, competing products being unavailable that is.
legendary
Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000
If BFL labs ever got their delivery time down to 3 days, I might consider ordering one of their units.
They should have just made a kickstarter campaign if they were going to fund their business through pre-orders.
fpf
Activity: 20
Superior? Really?  Wink

The Single uses double the power of a Spartan6 based FPGA unit - at the same performance.

The price looks good... well it does at the first glance - but you need to pay 2 months in advance... so if you add those 2 months of lost mining revenue - it's actually not that "cheap" (anymore).

The Mini-rigs at least match the Spartan6 based FPGA units in terms of the consumption / performance ratio.

About the ASIC - time will show....

Phil

Activity: 14
"a) way too optimistic with their timeframe... no ASICs before the new year at least, and
b) pulling the specs out of their arse... sure, ASICs would improve on FPGAs and do great damage to the GPU and FPGA miner diehards, but their quoted speeds and powers are bullshit."

BFL owners are known to be optimistic, but that is the only type of person that succeeds. So far their success has been based on delivering a superior product, so it seems their optimism was warranted.
legendary
and $600,000 in preorders/trade-ins for the Rigs (that have been posted so far), so the specifications they promised will surely be met.

Where is the info about the pre-orders from?
Do we have stats about actual units ordered or just the total amount of money?

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/wait-list-bfl-sc-pre-order-information-monarch-orders-too-89685
Activity: 136
and $600,000 in preorders/trade-ins for the Rigs (that have been posted so far), so the specifications they promised will surely be met.

Where is the info about the pre-orders from?
Do we have stats about actual units ordered or just the total amount of money?
Activity: 784
Merit: 500
i got some mini rig sc's on order and I have to wait just like everyone else. I don't see any special treatment. At least not in my case.
That's their superior treatment for highvalue customer. So that you don't feel bad Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005
I am optimistic that we'll at least see some test units in the wild by then.
Activity: 184
Either way they are swimming in cash. No one can compete with them at the moment, and they can do whatever they want. Orders will still be pouring in way faster than they can fill them. I'll wait and see how it plays out. I sure hope some real competition emerges at some point. GH/s per $ always wins at those levels, and BFL seems to understand it.

Not if you order BIG bucks outta them. Then, you'll have a special treatment.
i got some mini rig sc's on order and I have to wait just like everyone else. I don't see any special treatment. At least not in my case.
Cryptopreneur
That is them doing what they want.
Activity: 7
Either way they are swimming in cash. No one can compete with them at the moment, and they can do whatever they want. Orders will still be pouring in way faster than they can fill them. I'll wait and see how it plays out. I sure hope some real competition emerges at some point. GH/s per $ always wins at those levels, and BFL seems to understand it.

Not if you order BIG bucks outta them. Then, you'll have a special treatment.
Cryptopreneur
Activity: 336
Yep Venture Capitalists have a 100% success track record. Also, BFL has a history of delivering the exact $/MH and MH/W of their pre-order specifications.  Roll Eyes

I voted no. From what I've read so far, I think they're either pulling a massive scam, or if they're sincere, they're

a) way too optimistic with their timeframe... no ASICs before the new year at least, and
b) pulling the specs out of their arse... sure, ASICs would improve on FPGAs and do great damage to the GPU and FPGA miner diehards, but their quoted speeds and powers are bullshit.

That said, I fear wishful thinking on my part. I've sunk a whole load of money into a GPU farm since first hearing about bitcoin in October last year, and it's going to take a heck of a long time to recover my costs even if ASICs don't materialise (partly my rigs being continually uncooperative, partly poor buying decisions). If they do I can pack this all in. So I'd definitely much prefer that they're pie-in-the-sky and/or scammers, so I can continue to recover costs and feel smug about all those eedjits who jumped on the bandwagon.

Also I don't know if you can change the form of a poll once you've posted it, but
a) Your poll says we can only choose up to two options. Herp derp and so on.
b) You say the poll closes Nov 2. It would make more sense to close it some time before the Oct 31 deadline. How about either 30 Sept, or sometime mid-October?

Technically, the answer is 'no'. The question is, will BFL deliver before October 31st, 2012...and although their website states they will be available in October, they surely won't be in our hands until a number of months afterwards.

As for the actual specs, they'll be on target. Think about it this way...if you just paid $30,000 for a single Rig, would you like to see the promised 1TH/s (or thereabout)? Not to mention, they have venture capital backing (VCs don't mess around with shoddy products for the most part) and $600,000 in preorders/trade-ins for the Rigs (that have been posted so far), so the specifications they promised will surely be met.
Cryptopreneur
I hope not.  Cheesy
Pages:
Jump to: