Pages:
Author

Topic: [Pool closed. Withdrawals closed] litecoin.miningpool.com,% donated to charity - page 2. (Read 15939 times)

Activity: 770
Merit: 502
I'm new at litecoin but not bitcoin, where else can I mine litecoins at? Is it anywhere? like slush's or deepbit?

If not, could someone link up a litecoin pool.

If not to any pools around, then litecoin is dead?
vip
Activity: 980
Merit: 1001
Sorry to see you go froggy - all the best in your future ventures Smiley

How many kH/s would a litecoin pool have to sustain over a month to be able to cover the hosting costs?

Doing some (very rough) math, it seems to me that:

a decent fully dedicated (non vps) server would run ~$100/mo.

if you're running a 1% commission, you would thus have to mine $10,000/mo worth of LTC.

at the current exchange rate, $10,000 USD/m ~= 4,000,000 LTC/m.  (or ~133,333 LTC/d)

in my (2 days ;-) of mining experience, ~ 3000kH/s roughly translates to 2600 LTC/d.  if you use that ratio, you would then have to mine at an average of 154,000kH/s to mine 133,333 LTC/d.

Thus, at the current exchange rate, with $100/mo expenses, and a 1% commission, your mining pool would need to be averaging 154,000kH/s to break even.

Extrapolating that out, even at a 5% commission, you'd still have to mine at 31,000kH/s as a pool to make $100/mo... are there any litecoin pools pulling that off?

Could someone check my math?

Seems like most of the pools are banking on a better exchange rate I guess?

Interesting math, though a Litecoin pool will run happily on a decent vps - you can get them for a few Bitcoins per month Smiley
Different pools, different setups,etc, for us it was pretty easy to split a vm off our US BTC server to run the LTC pool, extra cost involved- some time Wink

Activity: 127
Merit: 100
Okies folks, the site is back up for final withdrawals.  I haven't messed around trying to fix the glitched allocations - consider any extra that you may have been allocated as a parting gift to thank you for mining at the pool (that includes you, burnside).   Smiley

To withdraw your Litecoins, please ensure that you have a valid Payment Address on your Account Details page, and that your Automatic Payout amount is set to 0.001 . Automatic payouts of any final balances are sent every 40 minutes.

Please ensure that you have withdrawn your Litecoins by 21st June 2012, at which time all functionality will cease
Activity: 980
Merit: 506
How many kH/s would a litecoin pool have to sustain over a month to be able to cover the hosting costs?

if you're running a 1% commission, you would thus have to mine $10,000/mo worth of LTC.

at the current exchange rate, $10,000 USD/m ~= 4,000,000 LTC/m.  (or ~133,333 LTC/d)

in my (2 days ;-) of mining experience, ~ 3000kH/s roughly translates to 2600 LTC/d.  if you use that ratio, you would then have to mine at an average of 154,000kH/s to mine 133,333 LTC/d.

Thus, at the current exchange rate, with $100/mo expenses, and a 1% commission, your mining pool would need to be averaging 154,000kH/s to break even.

Extrapolating that out, even at a 5% commission, you'd still have to mine at 31,000kH/s as a pool to make $100/mo... are there any litecoin pools pulling that off?

If you look back at bitcoin in the early days there was little money being made in terms of exchange. heck one guy bought a pizza for like some ungodly amount of BTC which at the time was about $30-$40.

No one really knows the future of any of these cryptocurrencies. Time will tell given there is no historical record to look to other than back to 2009 when bitcoin started.
legendary
Activity: 1106
Merit: 1006
Lead Blockchain Developer

at the current exchange rate, $10,000 USD/m ~= 4,000,000 LTC/m.  (or ~133,333 LTC/d)

in my (2 days ;-) of mining experience, ~ 3000kH/s roughly translates to 2600 LTC/d.  if you use that ratio, you would then have to mine at an average of 154,000kH/s to mine 133,333 LTC/d.

Activity: 294
Merit: 250
Bitcoin today is what the internet was in 1998.
I cannot connect my litecoin miner to the pool. I am receiving 30 sec errors.

I was able to connect the miner to slush and was mining for about 2 minutes.

See froggy's post:
I'm taking the pool down and will try to work out correct allocations of litecoins over the weekend. Mining may not come back but once the correct allocations have been worked out I'll get the site back up so that people can withdraw their balances ... Something similar happened in the first version of the pool but I thought that I'd fixed things.  Sadly it appears bugs have returned.  I think it may be time to call it a day.
Activity: 770
Merit: 502
I cannot connect my litecoin miner to the pool. I am receiving 30 sec errors.

I was able to connect the miner to slush and was mining for about 2 minutes.
I've been running it on 2 nodes at vps.net (originally plans were to use more nodes, but I had a pay cut in my day job, so had to cut down to 2 nodes to minimise outgoings).  You're very correct - even at just two nodes costing £28.00 (UK pounds) per month the monthly cost for those nodes has still been far more than the pool ever brought in.  

Between November and the end of April the total donations in to the pool were about 1950 litecoins (sincere thanks to those who donated).  From this, about 1168 litecoins were paid out from the pool to good causes, leaving about 782 litecoins income, which is about $1.93 or £1.25 UK pounds during that whole period .  Server costs were £168 for that November to April period.  I had been hoping litecoins may increase in value to eventually make it financially viable but unfortunately there's not much sign of that at the moment.

Running the mining op is pretty staightforward, but it's setting it up in the first place and ensuring everything works together that's the tricky bit.  With litecoin.miningpool.com this meant getting pushpool to interact with bitcoind as the "backend" and then getting a "front end" to work (user member area, stats and full working database to share out the coins properly).  I started out with simplecoin for the "front end" but ended up rewriting most of it from scratch....twice...which was more work than I had expected.  Things seemed to be going fine in this second version of the pool until those glitches which started 22nd May.  Unfortunately I don't really have the time to go through all of the code in the hope that I can fix the error (and don't want to risk the potential cost of things glitching yet again).  It's sad as I'd hoped to do good with the pool and the "good causes" donations, but I guess I need to be practical too.
legendary
Sounds like it may cost more to run it than it brings in?

I have to be honest, I'm very green when it comes to (bit|lite)coin, how hard is it to run a mining op?
Wow, thanks Burnside - that'll help hugely.  I've taken the whole site down for now but will make it available again (without actual mining) for final withdrawals at the weekend (I'll keep it open to give members the chance to withdraw for a couple of weeks or so).  Not sure what I'll do with the site after that.   
legendary
I can't seem to log into the interface right now to give you exact numbers, but I suspected something might be out of wack.  I had only been mining about 24 hours and I could see near the top that it was saying I had mined XXX amount in the last 24 hours, which was like 1/3 or 1/4 of the total balance.

In any case, go ahead and take my whole balance as a donation.  It's only 24 hrs of mining, and it sounds like it may help you balance things out.
Eeek, I've just checked the database and in a number of rounds, which seem to have started 22 May, the pool has over-allocated litecoins to what appears to be (from first checks) all miners mining in those rounds.  As a result the pool doesn't have enough litecoins to pay out 9623 currently.  You're one of those who was overallocated litecoins, burnside so your final true figure will be less than 9626. 

I'm taking the pool down and will try to work out correct allocations of litecoins over the weekend. Mining may not come back but once the correct allocations have been worked out I'll get the site back up so that people can withdraw their balances. It looks like this is going to bankrupt my own litecoin balance and I'm going to have to buy a good few litecoins for this on top.  Something similar happened in the first version of the pool but I though that I'd fixed things.  Sadly it appears bugs have returned.  I think it may be time to call it a day. 

legendary
Thanks Gladamas.

I'm out of newbieville now.  ;-)  Anyone have any pointers?  The automatic payout seems broken or something.  I'm new to mining though so I'm not sure if there's something I'm missing or something.

Thanks!
Activity: 294
Merit: 250
Bitcoin today is what the internet was in 1998.
I'm posting on the behalf of burnside, who is currently locked in Newbie Jail.

I'm on litecoin.miningpool.com, my account states the following:

My Confirmed Lifetime Earnings: 9982.72059284005 LTC

Amount paid out to date: 358.75886165 LTC

Current Confirmed balance: 9623.9617311901 LTC

I have automatic payout set to 25 ltc.  So I'm having trouble figuring out why the 9600 ltc's haven't been paid out.

Did you enter a Litecoin address in your Account Details page?

Thanks.

Yup, I have received the 358 ltc.

The pool's overall statistics can now be obtained in JSON API format at http://litecoin.miningpool.com/totalstats-api.php .  Statistics are updated every 60 seconds.  For those who are compiling charts and statistics of different pools, this should be a nicer way to obtain the pool's data rather than having to scrape the litecoin-statistics.php page. Smiley

Thanks to pooler for the inspiration for the page.
The pool has just made its first round of donations to Good Causes.  Check out our Donations to Good Causes page for full details.  Smiley

I'll aim to do the next round of donations in a couple of months' time or so. If you have favourite charity, why not contact them to see if they'll accept Litecoins.  If they do and they place a Litecoin address on their webpage for donations, please feel free to nominate them in this thread for a possible future donation from the Pool.  Let's spread the word about Litecoin being a convenient way to give, and do some good in the world at the same time.
Hello EskimoBob...There was an Instant payout button previously but this was removed as there was an issue with people being able to pay themselves twice.  

Instead, the Automated payouts go out every 40 minutes, so if you set the "Automatic Payout" amount to 1 LTC, your full available balance (as long as it's over 1 LTC) will be sent to you on the next 40 minute payout schedule. Smiley
legendary
Activity: 910
Merit: 1000
Quality Printing Services by Federal Reserve Bank
Please add "Instant Payout" button for transferring the available balance. It is probably a good idea to set some type of limit for number of transfers in last 24 h or some lunatics will abuse it. 4?

Activity: 860
Merit: 1004
BTC OG and designer of the BitcoinMarket.com logo
Ack had a bit of a problem with Pushpool stealing 100% of CPU power there.  Everything should be back now.  Sorry about the downtime.

Must get the first of the "Good Causes" donations done soon...been meaning to for a long time but if you know me, I'm often late for things :-)  Aiming for next weekend...hopefully Smiley

Thanks for getting it back up Smiley
Ack had a bit of a problem with Pushpool stealing 100% of CPU power there.  Everything should be back now.  Sorry about the downtime.

Must get the first of the "Good Causes" donations done soon...been meaning to for a long time but if you know me, I'm often late for things :-)  Aiming for next weekend...hopefully Smiley
Pages:
Jump to: