Pages:
Author

Topic: pool hopping questions - page 2. (Read 2379 times)

legendary
Activity: 2618
Merit: 1007
August 18, 2011, 04:21:04 PM
I think in the end the payout variance would be the same as with "standard" mining + depending on the block solving rate of the pool(s) you're hopping.
Activity: 72
Merit: 10
August 18, 2011, 12:54:50 AM
while you are right about a hopper mining more BTC than a non hopper, that doesn't answer my question.
legendary
Activity: 1386
Merit: 1004
August 18, 2011, 12:27:04 AM
There is a lot to consider.  Consider that I have moved most of my hashing off of pools that are susceptible to hopping, and that others will too.  Right now pool hopping gives you an advantage (and takes it from others who do not know or understand that their pool is being hopped)  Read the threads below and see if your pool is mentioned (as being a good pool to take advantage of) and consider writing the owner, and if no changes are made, leaving.  If you are not hopping, and on a pool that is being used by hoppers, you are probably loosing BTC.

check out the bithopper thread:
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/bithopper-python-pool-hopper-proxy-26866

and the cherrypicking thread:
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/introducing-cherrypicking-new-windows-linux-pool-hopper-33031

August 17, 2011, 10:09:50 PM
yes that thread is quite long and unorganized, but i've been through most of it and can't recall seeing anything quite along the line of what i'm looking for. and if i missed it, well, i really don't want to re read 200 pages. thank you for the advice though.
Activity: 39
Merit: 0
August 17, 2011, 09:53:28 PM
I don't have the numbers from the top of my head, but in the bithopper thread there is quite a lot posts about theoretical/real world statistics and about variance and options how to reduce it.

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/bithopper-python-pool-hopper-proxy-26866

The thread is quite long and not very organized, so it might be rather time consuming to search through it. However you have a good chance of finding some answers to your questions there.
August 17, 2011, 09:30:05 PM
so i read the paper and understand the idea but what i want to know is, given the fact you gain 28% more potential BTC with 2 pools, how long does it actually take for the variance of hopping to settle down and produce that extra 28% on average? or more likely to correlate with real world statistics, to even be within 5%, 10%, 25% of it, again on average? or better yet, if there are n number of pools, how long does it take your average BTC to be within a given range of the potential gain for n pools?

there are probably several other variables that need to be defined to answer this like pool speed, difficulty, and others i'm not sure of. but if anyone could just plug in some example values based off current conditions or values and write an equation to express this or graph it i would be really interested to see the results. if something like this has been done just point me in that direction. hopefully i expressed this clearly enough
Pages:
Jump to: