Pages:
Author

Topic: Pool Ops are now the Alt Currency Police - page 2. (Read 13951 times)

legendary
Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000
January 09, 2012, 12:36:22 AM
Just because I own the copyright is irrelevant. Someone owns the major bitcoin domains which control the code most people run on. Someone owns the sites and content we are posting here. It isn't us. It's already stated that I will pass all my code ownership to the NPO when it is setup. Including any SolidCoin wallets, code, domains, etc used. If you want to get into this "well RealSolid owns this so blah blah" we can go on all day with Bitcoin too. It's a strawman

Actually, you owning the copyright makes you the rightsholder. You dictate the terms of use to anyone who uses the code. Those terms are spelled out in license.txt. Finally, license.txt says you reserve the right to revoke usage of the solidcoin codebase from anyone.

As for copyright and bitcoin, the bitcoin code is distributed with the following license:

"Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy
of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal
in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights
to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell
copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is
furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:

The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in
all copies or substantial portions of the Software."

Once I download the bitcoin code, I can do with it as I wish, as long as I include that notice at the top of the files.
Solidcoin code and all of its derivatives will always be under the control of Coinhunter (unless the license changes).
staff
Activity: 4242
Merit: 8672
January 09, 2012, 12:14:58 AM
However, the attack occurred within an hour of you posting about it in the forum ...

I don't think I even heard about it for several days later, are you sure about that?

And what I posted about wasn't even the attack that actually happened. Though I'd love to take credit realizing that lots of inputs would gum up the wallet, which is so obvious in retrospect,  what I was pointing out was that the fees were out of wack.  Moreover, I was interested in finding out if it was easier to influence chain fee policy in a chain which was mostly solomined (as ltc was at the time).    At the time the attack irritated me as much as anyone else— it screwed up my mining psychology experiment by providing a non-selfish motivation for changing the fee schedule.

Here is the thread for anyone interested https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/increasing-mining-income-on-litecoin-51915.  I don't think I ever saw any of the posts in it after the first until just now. I knew about the attacks from IRC (and from seeing my own blockchain copies grow).

Unlikely Luke I don't think Litecoin is a scam. It may be ultimately pointless, as Art convinced me when I suggested scrypt POW in #bitcoin-dev a long time before litecoin— the cpu pow really means that only criminals can mine it profitably (perhaps ultimately a fate for Bitcoin too), and the increased block rate makes it actually 4x less lite than bitcoin when you have a pruning node.  But I've never had anything against worse than those reservations against it, and have defended it against people trying to spread "dark pool fud" here.
Activity: 252
Merit: 251
January 09, 2012, 12:12:10 AM
Well you came in blablah about coiledcoin, it was trolling as far as I could tell.   I'm not very active in #eligius but luke wasn't around at the time.   I got a talking to as a result of that kick— he's a lot more tolerant of casual trolling than I am, and I wasn't aware that he'd been hanging out in your channel.  Sorry about that.

This is nothing but slander!

Wink
January 09, 2012, 12:05:22 AM
Let us presume that enforcer node X is compromised and beings attacking the Solidcoin2 network. Coinhunter issues a code update to strip that node of its enforcer status. Some portion of the user base implements this code update, most critically exchanges and pools. Solidcoin has enough enforcer nodes under his direct control to continue the protocol processing until the other enforcers update. The remaining enforcer nodes now have a choice; they can run the old "insecure" client that allows them to be "attacked" by node X, or they can update to the newer more "secure" version.

It will take more than a single trust wallet to get out in the wild to have any severe impact on the SolidCoin network. If any security holes appear they will of course be quickly taken care of. That is what SolidCoin is known for, security.

If they don't update, they will be left behind and eventually become a liability themselves. They can't write their own source to fork because of the following line in license.txt:

"We reserve the right to cancel this open source license to any project which has a negative impact on the SolidCoin network or SolidCoin users."

Of course "negative impact" is defined by Realsolid, and he owns the copyrights to all the code.

Just because I own the copyright is irrelevant. Someone owns the major bitcoin domains which control the code most people run on. Someone owns the sites and content we are posting here. It isn't us. It's already stated that I will pass all my code ownership to the NPO when it is setup. Including any SolidCoin wallets, code, domains, etc used. If you want to get into this "well RealSolid owns this so blah blah" we can go on all day with Bitcoin too. It's a strawman
Activity: 456
Merit: 250
January 09, 2012, 12:02:34 AM
My prediction for 2012:

Peer-to-peer pool technology will mature (will get easier to install and run), and p2pool's will be more than 25% of bitcoin hashing power by the end of the year.

Fingers crossed that you're correct.

Why anyone is still mining at these pools is a mystery to me.. I was able to get p2pool up and running in less than 10 minutes.  Def gonna stay with it.. much better than any pool I have tried.
staff
January 09, 2012, 12:01:34 AM
* You were kicked from #eligius by gmaxwell (pretty sure luke would have wanted this: sorry, no scamcoins, please.)

Well you came in blablah about coiledcoin, it was trolling as far as I could tell.   I'm not very active in #eligius but luke wasn't around at the time.   I got a talking to as a result of that kick— he's a lot more tolerant of casual trolling than I am, and I wasn't aware that he'd been hanging out in your channel.  Sorry about that.

legendary
Activity: 4592
Merit: 1851
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
January 09, 2012, 12:01:14 AM
I congratulate people like gmaxwell ( responsible for the LTC TX spam attack ) and Luke-Jr.

I had nothing to do with the litecoin dustspam attack, except for potentially forseeing part of it as a consequence of the anti-dos rules being unchanged from bitcoin and totally out of wack with the low currency value and fast chain speed (though the fact that the attacker would send to pre-existing addresses in order to slow down wallets wasn't even something I'd guessed would happen), and I posted patches to correct it ahead of the attack.

I'd appreciate it if you edited your message to retract this claim, as well as any other places where you've made it.

Thanks.

However, the attack occurred within an hour of you posting about it in the forum ...
Activity: 448
January 09, 2012, 12:00:48 AM
you were banned from #solidcoin for being a liar and thief.
This is nothing but slander.

Better add it to the lawsuit. That's what, like, a hundred billion dollars in damages and counting now, right?
staff
January 08, 2012, 11:58:48 PM
I congratulate people like gmaxwell ( responsible for the LTC TX spam attack ) and Luke-Jr.

I had nothing to do with the litecoin dustspam attack, except for potentially forseeing part of it as a consequence of the anti-dos rules being unchanged from bitcoin and totally out of wack with the low currency value and fast chain speed (though the fact that the attacker would send to pre-existing addresses in order to slow down wallets wasn't even something I'd guessed would happen), and I posted patches to correct it ahead of the attack.

I'd appreciate it if you edited your message to retract this claim, as well as any other places where you've made it.

Thanks.

January 08, 2012, 11:58:30 PM

Since you're not a programmer or network engineer you probably don't realize a few things.

If you think SolidCoin is centralized then Bitcoin is even more centralized. Bitcoin has 3 pools which create 90+% of the blocks. SolidCoin has nowhere near this distribution of block creation being centralized.

Game, set, match. I guess.

you may be a programmer, but basic arithmetics are not your favorite ability:

total btc-hashrate: ~ 9,000 GH / atm
deepbit + btc-guild + slush: ~ 6,000 GH / atm

now we calculate the hashing-percentage of the big three: ~ 66.67 % / atm  Grin

Edit: it's much, but far away from 90+%

Well I think it varies day to day what the exact makeup of the larger 3 or 4 pools is. Either way, there is less centralization in SolidCoin than bitcoin when using these metrics. We have a much wider distribution of block creation and decentralization than Bitcoin.

legendary
Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186
January 08, 2012, 11:56:59 PM
you were banned from #solidcoin for being a liar and thief.
This is nothing but slander.
January 08, 2012, 11:53:12 PM
If you want to have an opinion on SolidCoin at least make sure it's based in reality and factual eh.
Like the fact that #SolidCoin operators (in this case, yourself) kickban people for no reason whatsoever?

Pot , kettle? A day before you were banned from #solidcoin for being a liar and thief.

* You were kicked from #eligius by gmaxwell (pretty sure luke would have wanted this: sorry, no scamcoins, please.)
legendary
January 08, 2012, 03:24:06 PM
My prediction for 2012:

Peer-to-peer pool technology will mature (will get easier to install and run), and p2pool's will be more than 25% of bitcoin hashing power by the end of the year.

But does the end of the year coincide with the end of the world?
Can you trace your ancestry back to the Mayans?
Will the 49ers beat the Saints?

legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 2300
Chief Scientist
January 08, 2012, 03:17:54 PM
My prediction for 2012:

legendary
January 08, 2012, 01:44:04 PM

Since you're not a programmer or network engineer you probably don't realize a few things.

If you think SolidCoin is centralized then Bitcoin is even more centralized. Bitcoin has 3 pools which create 90+% of the blocks. SolidCoin has nowhere near this distribution of block creation being centralized.

Away with you and your facts!! /jazzhands /bugeyes

donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
January 08, 2012, 01:16:51 PM

now we calculate the hashing-percentage of the big three: ~ 66.67 % / atm  Grin

The good news is this trend has been downward at one point Deepbit alone was almost 50% (about 5TH on 10TH network).  Hopefully we reach a point where the big three combined are 49% or less.
legendary
January 08, 2012, 12:58:47 PM
Your blockchain isn't fixed, it is whatever you want it to be, whenever you want it to be. Users are forced to upgrade by your enforcer nodes, and your enforcer nodes can be decertified by a code update (which your users must adopt or they will be cast out of the blockchain).
There's a slight error in your logic here. Nodes can only be forced to adopt an update if CodeHunter's "enforcer nodes" go along with it, and they've got no reason to do this for an update that takes away their power. Assuming that those nodes are genuinely independent of CoinHunter, he doesn't actually have much more control over SolidCoin than the Bitcoin developers have over Bitcoin - if they release a major change and the mining pools go along with it, users pretty much have to go along too.

Let us presume that enforcer node X is compromised and beings attacking the Solidcoin2 network. Coinhunter issues a code update to strip that node of its enforcer status. Some portion of the user base implements this code update, most critically exchanges and pools. Solidcoin has enough enforcer nodes under his direct control to continue the protocol processing until the other enforcers update. The remaining enforcer nodes now have a choice; they can run the old "insecure" client that allows them to be "attacked" by node X, or they can update to the newer more "secure" version.

If they don't update, they will be left behind and eventually become a liability themselves. They can't write their own source to fork because of the following line in license.txt:

"We reserve the right to cancel this open source license to any project which has a negative impact on the SolidCoin network or SolidCoin users."

Of course "negative impact" is defined by Realsolid, and he owns the copyrights to all the code.
Activity: 309
January 08, 2012, 09:59:30 AM

Activity: 686
Merit: 564
January 08, 2012, 06:36:29 AM
Your blockchain isn't fixed, it is whatever you want it to be, whenever you want it to be. Users are forced to upgrade by your enforcer nodes, and your enforcer nodes can be decertified by a code update (which your users must adopt or they will be cast out of the blockchain).
There's a slight error in your logic here. Nodes can only be forced to adopt an update if CodeHunter's "enforcer nodes" go along with it, and they've got no reason to do this for an update that takes away their power. Assuming that those nodes are genuinely independent of CoinHunter, he doesn't actually have much more control over SolidCoin than the Bitcoin developers have over Bitcoin - if they release a major change and the mining pools go along with it, users pretty much have to go along too.
legendary
January 08, 2012, 03:21:30 AM
You don't need to be an engineer to realize that Solidcoin2 is controlled by a single individual. There is nothing a user of Solidcoin2 can do about this.

And what do you base this claim on? I can do the same thing, Bitcoin is controlled by one person. Does it make it true? Usually you need to give the evidence for such bold claims.

SolidCoin's trust nodes aren't operated only by me, others have wallets now that cannot be taken away from them. They are forever out there to be used to sign blocks.

On top of that we have multiple pools creating half the blocks. So if we do the maths :-

SolidCoin . Upto 10 trust nodes can currently operate and create half the blocks (which contain no SC). The other half of the blocks are solved by everyone, and the current breakdown you'd say about 4 big pools or solo operators are there. That's 14 "nodes" solving the majority of SolidCoin blocks.

Bitcoin. Upto 3 nodes creating 90% of the blocks. Everyone else fights over 10% scraps. Since bitcoin security revolves around at least 51% of the power being in "good hands" and 3 people have 90% of the power it puts bitcoins security in a precarious position. Only 2 people in Bitcoin need to decide or have it decided for them (hacked) and bitcoins security is no more.

Bitcoin is so much more centralized than SolidCoin it isn't funny. You have some incorrect belief there is only one person mining or that has control of SolidCoin. Hopefully this shows it's more than one, and less centralization than Bitcoin. Finally there are now 4 developers working on the source code and able to work on it without needing "permission". Everyone else is able to submit pull requests.

https://github.com/solidcoin/solidcoin

If you want to have an opinion on SolidCoin at least make sure it's based in reality and factual eh.

The trusted nodes may not be "operated" by you currently, but they are instantiated by you. You can take them away just as quick. It doesn't matter if there are one or ten nodes if you designate what is and what is not trusted. What happens when one of your "trusted" nodes attacks your protocol? You hit the switch and kick it out. What happens when one merely insults you, or says something you don't like? Depends on your mood I suppose.

4 devs is better than one. Unfortunately, your track record of playing well with others is somewhat bleak. As long as the four of you keep mining, Solidcoin2 will still be alive so there is always hope.
Pages:
Jump to: