Author

Topic: [POOL][Scrypt][Scrypt-N][X11] Profit switching pool - wafflepool.com - page 289. (Read 465522 times)

Activity: 322
Merit: 254
Ignore this post.  Was me telling you guys that payments were being delayed a bit due to a withdrawal delay on Cryptsy's end.  However the delay ended up being like 15 minutes, and payments have now been sent.
Would it be possible for us to set the vardiff our self, since when ever there is a change of what coin is mined, the vardiff gets set to 8 for me, and i post 10 shares a second.

The vardiff should not be reset when switching coins (we don't drop the connection, and its on a per-connection basis).  We've been avoiding allowing custom vardiff settings, since people could easily just set their vardiff at 1 (with a strong miner), and waste a ton of bandwidth/processor.

Having it as the default starting point wouldn't be a bad idea though (so you could avoid starting at vardiff Cool.
Activity: 168
Merit: 100
Suggestion!

Would it be possible for us to set the vardiff our self, since when ever there is a change of what coin is mined, the vardiff gets set to 8 for me, and i post 10 shares a second.

This would be great. Or at least a minimum vardiff. BitParking (since your website looks the same, any relation) allows users to set via the password argument.
Hi - Little off topic so I apologise now. I think your test of Hashcows was probably a little unfortunate in terms of timing. They did suffer massively from their hack and have taken longer than most people expected, and they predicted, to get back on track. In the last week they have definitely moved forward and are showing good returns from their strategy. I would recommend you give them a few more weeks and perhaps take another look.

I believe that there are 3 main players now in this field.

Middlecoin - are by far the largest, give consistent, strong, returns, but have high fees, no transparency and such a ridiculous high  difficulty that they are only practical with high end rigs.

Wafflepool - (in my opinion) have the best load-balancing / switching success, fantastic development rate, returns that are improving fast and the best reporting of stats that I've seen.

Hashcows - have recently adopted an aggressive approach to new coins, offer the possibility of keeping coins on an individual basis, but still need to fix many aspects of their website as the stats just plain don't work properly right now.

From this information I have decided to adopt the following strategy as my preferred solution.

I have 50% of my hashing on Wafflepool, with Hashcows set as the backup & 50% on Hashcows with Wafflepool set as my backup. I won't entertain Middlecoin as I have some older graphics cards in my collection that are just at a major disadvantage there.

You may be right, and others have pointed me to recent high returns at cows. I do plan to test again, but I've decided to wait until they resolve the constant disconnects after switching a coin. The work-around options they've given are unacceptable in my case. I am not downgrading from 3.7.2. I use a pre-built mining distro because I it takes less than 60 seconds to load the OS to USB and have a rig boot straight to mining. I'm also not setting my expiry and scan times to ridiculously low levels as they would make it impossible to use middlecoin as a backup. When they get that fixed, I'll be able to test again. Until then the results would be skewed and I would be losing hashrate.

Pretty much in agreement about everything else you've said, although I do have 3 7850's doing very well on Middle. Very stable 1MH rate, so I'm using it as my baseline testing against waffle. Also, the cows also have to resolve their reject rate. It's absolutely pathetic, and was greater than 15% on average when they were just mining cryptsy based coins. It appears to have gotten worse.
Activity: 58
Merit: 0
Sorry ahead of time for the big post, a bunch of new stuff to respond to Smiley

No, which is why I asked the question. What I was seeing on the stats page "seemed" like inefficient hopping. And yes, the potential has looked good, which is why I'm here testing on day 3. The cows got less than 24 hours from me, and hashbros even less. I'm still on middlecoin as well, and while wafflepool did better yesterday by about .002/MH, middlecoin is absolutely killing it today.  I'm at .018/MH over there, not counting my unexchanged having almost doubled.  I'll get the chance to compare to wafflepool in the morning. The way things are going though, I may just keep my rigs divided for a week or two to get a truer long term outlook.

Glad we're still in the running!  I think we've got a chance at beating out middlecoin in the long run (we're actively competing after only a few weeks of being open).  Getting compared to such a big pool this quickly is awesome from our side (means we're doing something right), and we're working on making it better every day!

Exactly this. Other pools have been quick and easy to test, using middlecoin as a baseline. Let's face it. They may be huge, uncommunicative, and expensive, but they set the standard for profits on switching pools. The worst day I ever had there was .0108/MH. So far, waffle is the only other one I've tried that comes close. On two separate occasions (after the hack), the cows couldn't even reach 40% of that payout. I won't even bother talking about bros.

So far on my third day with waffle, I'm seeing average to slightly better than average comparisons to middlecoin. While it hasn't yet earned my faith, it has earned my respect and some of my hash for a longer term evaluation. So far I've been thrilled with pool management and am looking forward to more BTC!

Faith/Trust can only be earned.  We're working hard to be as transparent as possible, and make sure we're doing what we can to be the most profitable pool out there Smiley

I've been looking at new switching pools for a few weeks now, and so far yours is the only one I've tried (only looking at autotraders) that actually does what it claims too.  I was actually pretty impressed with cows before the attack (and like the idea of keeping rather than trading certain coins), but they've been overpromising and underdelivering since their return. I have a lot of respect for the way they handled themselves, but I'm wondering if they bit off more than they can chew.

Waffle, so far, just works. No constant disconnects after coin switch is nice (I'm not downgrading my miner). Feature requests are responded to amazingly fast. Everything on the website actually works. No "please excuse us while we fix this and that" messages. So far from a service aspect, I'd vote waffle over every other without hesitation. The profits aspect is still up in the air, but so far I'm pretty happy.  The steady climb in pool hashrate has been nice too.

Please keep up the good work!

Hi - Little off topic so I apologise now. I think your test of Hashcows was probably a little unfortunate in terms of timing. They did suffer massively from their hack and have taken longer than most people expected, and they predicted, to get back on track. In the last week they have definitely moved forward and are showing good returns from their strategy. I would recommend you give them a few more weeks and perhaps take another look.

I believe that there are 3 main players now in this field.

Middlecoin - are by far the largest, give consistent, strong, returns, but have high fees, no transparency and such a ridiculous high  difficulty that they are only practical with high end rigs.

Wafflepool - (in my opinion) have the best load-balancing / switching success, fantastic development rate, returns that are improving fast and the best reporting of stats that I've seen.

Hashcows - have recently adopted an aggressive approach to new coins, offer the possibility of keeping coins on an individual basis, but still need to fix many aspects of their website as the stats just plain don't work properly right now.

From this information I have decided to adopt the following strategy as my preferred solution.

I have 50% of my hashing on Wafflepool, with Hashcows set as the backup & 50% on Hashcows with Wafflepool set as my backup. I won't entertain Middlecoin as I have some older graphics cards in my collection that are just at a major disadvantage there.
Activity: 196
Suggestion!

Maybe there was a misunderstanding then.

Yes sorry for the misunderstanding.

I think you misunderstood my variance acceptance limit. I'm OK with 0.013BTC/MH.  I am not OK with 0.003BTC/MH.  That is a HUGE difference.

I thought you meant that you weren't okay with the payout fluctuating by 0.003.  Big difference, yeah.

Adding a luck indicator to the pool stats would help a bit.

Gotcha.  I thought maybe I mistyped .003/.013 somewhere.

No, which is why I asked the question. What I was seeing on the stats page "seemed" like inefficient hopping. And yes, the potential has looked good, which is why I'm here testing on day 3. The cows got less than 24 hours from me, and hashbros even less. I'm still on middlecoin as well, and while wafflepool did better yesterday by about .002/MH, middlecoin is absolutely killing it today.  I'm at .018/MH over there, not counting my unexchanged having almost doubled.  I'll get the chance to compare to wafflepool in the morning. The way things are going though, I may just keep my rigs divided for a week or two to get a truer long term outlook.

Glad we're still in the running!  I think we've got a chance at beating out middlecoin in the long run (we're actively competing after only a few weeks of being open).  Getting compared to such a big pool this quickly is awesome from our side (means we're doing something right), and we're working on making it better every day!

Exactly this. Other pools have been quick and easy to test, using middlecoin as a baseline. Let's face it. They may be huge, uncommunicative, and expensive, but they set the standard for profits on switching pools. The worst day I ever had there was .0108/MH. So far, waffle is the only other one I've tried that comes close. On two separate occasions (after the hack), the cows couldn't even reach 40% of that payout. I won't even bother talking about bros.

So far on my third day with waffle, I'm seeing average to slightly better than average comparisons to middlecoin. While it hasn't yet earned my faith, it has earned my respect and some of my hash for a longer term evaluation. So far I've been thrilled with pool management and am looking forward to more BTC!

Faith/Trust can only be earned.  We're working hard to be as transparent as possible, and make sure we're doing what we can to be the most profitable pool out there Smiley

I've been looking at new switching pools for a few weeks now, and so far yours is the only one I've tried (only looking at autotraders) that actually does what it claims too.  I was actually pretty impressed with cows before the attack (and like the idea of keeping rather than trading certain coins), but they've been overpromising and underdelivering since their return. I have a lot of respect for the way they handled themselves, but I'm wondering if they bit off more than they can chew.

Waffle, so far, just works. No constant disconnects after coin switch is nice (I'm not downgrading my miner). Feature requests are responded to amazingly fast. Everything on the website actually works. No "please excuse us while we fix this and that" messages. So far from a service aspect, I'd vote waffle over every other without hesitation. The profits aspect is still up in the air, but so far I'm pretty happy.  The steady climb in pool hashrate has been nice too.

Please keep up the good work!
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
Maybe there was a misunderstanding then.

Yes sorry for the misunderstanding.

I think you misunderstood my variance acceptance limit. I'm OK with 0.013BTC/MH.  I am not OK with 0.003BTC/MH.  That is a HUGE difference.

I thought you meant that you weren't okay with the payout fluctuating by 0.003.  Big difference, yeah.

Adding a luck indicator to the pool stats would help a bit.

God no, I love waffle. I said earlier in this thread I was in the process of building a switching pool that does the same thing.

I'm just saying that 500 MH pool is going to have a lot of variance, you were the one who said you couldn't accept that. It's unavoidable (other than growing the pool or offering something like PPS which is a whole other issue).

Also, I actually think there is more variance than is visible on that table because there are some very big payoffs on some of these coins that it is hard for a small pool to hit (but it will eventually/occasionally hit them, or it will hit them more if it gets bigger).

Maybe there was a misunderstanding then.  Read my posts again.  I'm differentiating between levels of variance, Middlecoin being the lowest, and most other switching pools being much higher.  I stated that waffle came the closest to the variance I was happy with, and gave my numbers showing that the variance here is not all that different than Middle. That was proven out by the basic numbers posted, even when the pool was under 300MH, let alone 500MH. In fact the variance may be a little too low. We have not seen the highs yet that Middle has hit (doge and the periodic build up of unexchanged), but I also haven't seen it's lows.

And those pool statistics are exactly the way I've been attempting to quantify my variance acceptance.  Based on a 24 hour cycle.  Yes they fluctuate with a 24 hour period, but I usually use my daily payouts averaged over time.  This being only my third day however, and I am forced to rely on waffle's overall pool payouts/hashrate (which BTW, no other pool seems to publish, so kudos!). When I can see a larger number of my own payouts I'll have a better sample size for a more direct comparison, but so far my two payouts are aligned pretty closely with the pool payouts.
legendary
By the way poolwaffle check your PM. I sent you one but maybe you can't PM me back because you are a newbie. No need to reply on content here, just making sure you saw it.
legendary
Switching the coins on/off wouldn't be needed, they'd be available to be mined all the time.  Its just that trades would be less frequent (so there is some price risk with holding for 12 hours or something).

Price risk is pretty bad on these coins. They could (and likely will) crash at any time.

The reason I suggest turning them off is there is usually going to be an almost-as-profitable coin the mine that won't incur the price risk. I guess you could program in some kind of profit threshold where you are willing to mine-and-hold (temporarily) if the profitability is sufficiently better.
Also, I actually think there is more variance than is visible on that table because there are some very big payoffs on some of these coins that it is hard for a small pool to hit (but it will eventually/occasionally hit them, or it will hit them more if it gets bigger).

Yep, just because I'm staring at it all day, this is definitely the case.  I'll watch the btc/day slowly decaying over 6-12 hours (down to like 0.011) and then spike up to 0.018 or something, and back into a slow decay.  Just a matter of mining high difficulty coins.  I'm sure we'll have some really unlucky days, and I'm sure we'll have some really lucky days until we get larger.  Just part of the growing process Smiley

You could switch it on and off when someone is available to manually trade them. Better than nothing.

Switching the coins on/off wouldn't be needed, they'd be available to be mined all the time.  Its just that trades would be less frequent (so there is some price risk with holding for 12 hours or something).  Again, definitely not something I'm against, just something thats taken a bit of a back burner for now (so much stuff on the plate, adding something where its just one more required thing to do every so often, isn't an thrilling idea) Smiley

On that note, as a quick update for you guys, I'm actively in the process of syncing up a few more endpoints for stratum servers.  Ideally sometime this weekend we'll have them up and running.  Plan is to have a US East, US West, and EU (Netherlands) endpoint available.  No geo-loadbalancing to being with (you'll have to manually set your preferred endpoint), but should drop latency a bit, and add a few failover pool locations in case we have to do rolling maintenance in the future.
legendary
Its unfortunately not a matter of coinedup being a priority.  They literally don't have a trading API, which means that all the trades would need to be done manually.  I'm not completely against it if it means 2x profits, but it would open up a lot of risk.  Right now we're api trading nonstop as coins confirm, but with it being manual, the best we'd be able to do would be 2x a day or so.

You could switch it on and off when someone is available to manually trade them. Better than nothing.

legendary

If you're not willing to accept variance then you have no business on a 500 MH pool.  Just take a look at the pool hash rate and move on (until it gets bigger at least).

Wow, that's a bit arrogant. So are you going to start telling me how to live my life? Who are you trying to defend? I've said nothing but good things about waffle. Are you seriously white knighting a different pool in a thread about waffle?

God no, I love waffle. I said earlier in this thread I was in the process of building a switching pool that does the same thing.

I'm just saying that 500 MH pool is going to have a lot of variance, you were the one who said you couldn't accept that. It's unavoidable (other than growing the pool or offering something like PPS which is a whole other issue).

hashcows has been paying me about .03BTC/mhashday. I think coinedup should be priority 1

Its unfortunately not a matter of coinedup being a priority.  They literally don't have a trading API, which means that all the trades would need to be done manually.  I'm not completely against it if it means 2x profits, but it would open up a lot of risk.  Right now we're api trading nonstop as coins confirm, but with it being manual, the best we'd be able to do would be 2x a day or so.  And so we'd be sitting with a large number of coins that we really couldn't get a decent price fix on until they were sold.  Again, I'm not against the idea, its just not a matter of adding coinedup, its a matter of moving to a manual trading platform.

Activity: 83
Merit: 10
I have been on waffle off and on for the past few weeks and am earning more with my measly XFX 7850 at 250kh than with any other pool.

If you're not willing to accept variance then you have no business on a 500 MH pool.  Just take a look at the pool hash rate and move on (until it gets bigger at least).

Wow, that's a bit arrogant. So are you going to start telling me how to live my life? Who are you trying to defend? I've said nothing but good things about waffle. Are you seriously white knighting a different pool in a thread about waffle?

EDIT:
Oh, and in a more specific response to variance on a 500MH pool...

...yeah. Really volatile there.

They started mining newer coins that are only listed on coinedup. MEOW and TIPS have been 2-3x the profitability of DOGE

Saw that, but their profitability page disappeared a while back.  How long have they been mining them?
legendary
Not at a variance level I'm willing to accept.  Time is required only when variance falls into a range I'm comfortable with. 0.003 BTC/MH is not an acceptable low end spike for me. It could be considered an outlier, but when two separate tests achieved the same low end spike on two different days it was not worth my effort to try again until other clients start reporting better stability.

If you're not willing to accept variance then you have no business on a 500 MH pool.  Just take a look at the pool hash rate and move on (until it gets bigger at least).

Jump to: