Pages:
Author

Topic: PRE [ANN] CureCoin development continues.... - page 13. (Read 94916 times)

Activity: 546
Merit: 500
Hello, I apologize for coming late to the discussion.  I am one of the main developers at Folding@home.  Vijay Pande (Folding@home project leader) and I have been talking and he has given me permission to make some comments in this forum regarding F@H's position on CureCoin.  I can confirm that the CureCoin developers have spoken with Dr. Pande but we are not working closely with them at this point.  I do not profess to know precisely Dr. Pande's opinion so much of this is my own and I will take the blame.

I am very excited about the idea of finding a way for people to contribute to F@H while at the same time earning crypto coin, however, I am skeptical about CureCoin's implementation for a number of reasons and I urge the CureCoin devs to attempt to provide clear answers to the following questions:

1. Precisely how will CureCoin guarantee that people are fairly credited CureCoin for valid F@H work?  CureCoin devs have repeatedly asserted that we have solved this problem for them but I disagree.

I still don't think I understand why one can't just fake folding work and submit it?  Will peers be performing duplicate work to confirm?
Yup, there is some work duplication to be submitted, over the years Stanford has developed quite a good system for work validation. Smiley

The truth is, our system is not rock solid.  We depend on the users to mostly act in our interest and on some manual intervention.  This is also the sole reason that some of Folding@home is not Open-Source.  We have Open-Sourced several parts of F@H and are working on Open-Sourcing more.  We rely on obfuscated detection of tampering as well as the goodwill of our users to protect the scientific results and the point system.  We would like to be fully Open-Source but as of yet no one has figured out how to efficiently execute arbitrary code in an untrusted environment with hard guarantees of security.  BitCoin provides hard guarantees through cryptography and by relying on very specific code, i.e. SHA256 hashes.

We are currently only dealing with points which have no monetary value.  Regardless, some of our users still get very upset when we get it wrong, which does happen on occasion and people still do occasionally cheat.  We are quite worried about what would happen if the points had real value.

2. Why do the CureCoin devs get 10%?  This seems excessive.  The money expended by Stanford over the last decade far exceeds anything CureCoin could have committed thus far and CureCoin is largely using the reputation of Folding@home to launch itself.  This seems unfair.  In addition, I understand that CureCoin has already received a substantial sum in donations.

3. The bigger question is do we also have to trust CureCoin to fairly deal out the 45% share that is to go to those contributing to Folding@home and presumably other disease related projects in the future?  How will you guarantee that points issued by Folding@home will equal coins in CureCoin?  I am assuming that some central server at CureCoin will query Folding@home's servers and allocate the funds.  I am also assuming that in the future CureCoin will decide how to share these funds among different scientific projects.  Who decides what projects are worthy?

Don't get me wrong, I love the idea and think you guys have come a long way towards an actual implementation of something people have been asking for since the early days of BitCoin but I feel there are important questions to be answered before moving forward.  Many people are working on this and there are a lot of ideas out there but I'm not convinced we've yet found the solution.  When we do find a solid solution I pledge my support.  I believe Folding@home has a big role to play in this and I will do what is in my power to help.

Thank you for your writeup. Its dissapointing news, but i agree with you completely. Those problems need to be solved. It worries me that you  have had only brief contact with them. Judging from your post i can assume that we are nowhere close to launch. This makes me sad.
Activity: 6
Merit: 0
Hello, I apologize for coming late to the discussion.  I am one of the main developers at Folding@home.  Vijay Pande (Folding@home project leader) and I have been talking and he has given me permission to make some comments in this forum regarding F@H's position on CureCoin.  I can confirm that the CureCoin developers have spoken with Dr. Pande but we are not working closely with them at this point.  I do not profess to know precisely Dr. Pande's opinion so much of this is my own and I will take the blame.

I am very excited about the idea of finding a way for people to contribute to F@H while at the same time earning crypto coin, however, I am skeptical about CureCoin's implementation for a number of reasons and I urge the CureCoin devs to attempt to provide clear answers to the following questions:

1. Precisely how will CureCoin guarantee that people are fairly credited CureCoin for valid F@H work?  CureCoin devs have repeatedly asserted that we have solved this problem for them but I disagree.

I still don't think I understand why one can't just fake folding work and submit it?  Will peers be performing duplicate work to confirm?
Yup, there is some work duplication to be submitted, over the years Stanford has developed quite a good system for work validation. Smiley

The truth is, our system is not rock solid.  We depend on the users to mostly act in our interest and on some manual intervention.  This is also the sole reason that some of Folding@home is not Open-Source.  We have Open-Sourced several parts of F@H and are working on Open-Sourcing more.  We rely on obfuscated detection of tampering as well as the goodwill of our users to protect the scientific results and the point system.  We would like to be fully Open-Source but as of yet no one has figured out how to efficiently execute arbitrary code in an untrusted environment with hard guarantees of security.  BitCoin provides hard guarantees through cryptography and by relying on very specific code, i.e. SHA256 hashes.

We are currently only dealing with points which have no monetary value.  Regardless, some of our users still get very upset when we get it wrong, which does happen on occasion and people still do occasionally cheat.  We are quite worried about what would happen if the points had real value.

2. Why do the CureCoin devs get 10%?  This seems excessive.  The money expended by Stanford over the last decade far exceeds anything CureCoin could have committed thus far and CureCoin is largely using the reputation of Folding@home to launch itself.  This seems unfair.  In addition, I understand that CureCoin has already received a substantial sum in donations.

3. The bigger question is do we also have to trust CureCoin to fairly deal out the 45% share that is to go to those contributing to Folding@home and presumably other disease related projects in the future?  How will you guarantee that points issued by Folding@home will equal coins in CureCoin?  I am assuming that some central server at CureCoin will query Folding@home's servers and allocate the funds.  I am also assuming that in the future CureCoin will decide how to share these funds among different scientific projects.  Who decides what projects are worthy?

Don't get me wrong, I love the idea and think you guys have come a long way towards an actual implementation of something people have been asking for since the early days of BitCoin but I feel there are important questions to be answered before moving forward.  Many people are working on this and there are a lot of ideas out there but I'm not convinced we've yet found the solution.  When we do find a solid solution I pledge my support.  I believe Folding@home has a big role to play in this and I will do what is in my power to help.
legendary
Activity: 1713
Merit: 1029
I just scanned the whole thread... I think I am missing something...

The Launch was supposed to happen on Nov 16, but I don't see people commenting on that...

Also, where is the page that gives the overview of the coin:

Total Number:
Difficulty adjustment:
rate of distribution:

etc...

Unfortuantely the Nov 16th deadline was not reached, as literally days before we had several large items come up, from a potential Stanford involvement in the project to additional back-end funding and a few more ideas that are taking time to implement.

Rate of distribution will be similar to other cryptocurrencies in existence, halving periodically for both mining and folding payouts. The difficulty adjustment will be relatively quick to allow rapid network growth and expansion. I'll check if the agreed-upon stats from early November are still valid.
legendary
I am trying to setup folding but all I seem to get for my GPU is FahCore 0x11

What have I done wrong? Yes I put --client-type=advanced in the target of the shortcut (I have a space after --open-web-control and then --client-type=advanced)

And yes I have shut it down, deleted the work 00 01 etc

And I still keep getting FahCore 0x11

Please help!

What GPU are you running?
Activity: 882
Merit: 1000
Any news?  Got a launch date yet? Smiley
Activity: 126
Merit: 100
I am trying to setup folding but all I seem to get for my GPU is FahCore 0x11

What have I done wrong? Yes I put --client-type=advanced in the target of the shortcut (I have a space after --open-web-control and then --client-type=advanced)

And yes I have shut it down, deleted the work 00 01 etc

And I still keep getting FahCore 0x11

Please help!
Activity: 56
Seems a bit of an update is in order, even if it's just a 'Project is going well' update Smiley

So, project is doing well. We're working on getting supporting software ready for release and making sure we're exactly on par with Stanford. Stanford's at a bit of a slow-down with finals and end-of-semester stuff, which is, of course, to be expected. We don't have a release date yet, we have quite a few ideas still floating around.

As for donations, I'm pretty sure you can still send them to the 1JESUE... address, but the 10k CUR / BTC promotion is over, any money sent to that address will be a pure donation. A lot of people are on track to get some CureCoins for their prior donations Cheesy

So project is still chugging along, squashing bugs and adding awesome. Hopefully one of us can have a juicier update soon.

So.. 2014 I presume?
It would be great to have news more often, even just to say all is ok Smiley
Activity: 146
In da Jungle!
I just scanned the whole thread... I think I am missing something...

The Launch was supposed to happen on Nov 16, but I don't see people commenting on that...

Also, where is the page that gives the overview of the coin:

Total Number:
Difficulty adjustment:
rate of distribution:

etc...

legendary
Activity: 1344
Merit: 1001
Seems a bit of an update is in order, even if it's just a 'Project is going well' update Smiley

So, project is doing well. We're working on getting supporting software ready for release and making sure we're exactly on par with Stanford. Stanford's at a bit of a slow-down with finals and end-of-semester stuff, which is, of course, to be expected. We don't have a release date yet, we have quite a few ideas still floating around.

As for donations, I'm pretty sure you can still send them to the 1JESUE... address, but the 10k CUR / BTC promotion is over, any money sent to that address will be a pure donation. A lot of people are on track to get some CureCoins for their prior donations Cheesy

So project is still chugging along, squashing bugs and adding awesome. Hopefully one of us can have a juicier update soon.
How many CureCoins will be out there?
legendary

Activity: 58
why do I get this error when folding ?
02:29:16:WARNING:Exception: 9:127.0.0.1: Send error: 10053: An established connection was aborted by the software in your host machine.
02:29:19:WARNING:Exception: 8:127.0.0.1: Send error: 10053: An established connection was aborted by the software in your host machine.
and it's stuck at 99.99%
Activity: 74
Merit: 10
How is going with they coin? Can i donate to help you?
legendary
Activity: 1344
Merit: 1001
Is Gridcoin on cryptsy?

Nope, it hasen't been released on any market yet.
Activity: 420
Merit: 250
Bayern
Is Gridcoin on cryptsy?
Activity: 20
New 11/14/2013 - Conference call with devs of curecoin and Stanford university on Tues 19th of Nov

Good job, I hope this goes well!
If you can get them to handle the folder rewards, it will make the project that much more robust by removing one potential point of failure. Couldn't be much better, since the folding has to be centralized anyway.
Do not surrender the ability to add other projects into Curecoin though, as this is where decentralization will come from Smiley Btw I would suggest World Community Grid as another set of projects. They cover diseases (cancer, AIDS...) and environmental issues (energy, water...). You can pick which projects to support.
Current projects:
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/research/viewAllProjects.do
Past projects:
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/research/viewAllProjects.do?proj=comp

Have a look at gridcoin. You can mine gridcoin right now while having your CPU do work for world community grid or any other BOINC projects such as rosetta, SETI, etc.
Activity: 756
Any updates from the Dev?
Bayern

Thought it was a fair coin launch  Sad

It's basically a 10% premine without actually being a premine.

The way the coin works is when a block is mined, 45% of the block goes to the person who mined it, 45% gets sent off to their folding pool which distributes it to people folding, and 10% of all coins made goes to the devs.  They sold some of the 10% they plan to get to people for 1 BTC per 10k. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=344716.20

If they straight premined 10%, the community would be going rabid on it.   If the coin takes off and hits some crazy value, I expect this to come up a lot more. (10% premine of all coins is one of the largest premines I've seen)

Is there any cheap coin you know of that is very promising right now?
Activity: 546
10% developer comission is indeed insane... Hope remains they will reduce it.
Or perhaps at least they spend it on advertising of the coin.
Bayern
Very interesting mate thank you, i can't find any promising release date
Activity: 203

Thought it was a fair coin launch  Sad

It's basically a 10% premine without actually being a premine.

The way the coin works is when a block is mined, 45% of the block goes to the person who mined it, 45% gets sent off to their folding pool which distributes it to people folding, and 10% of all coins made goes to the devs.  They sold some of the 10% they plan to get to people for 1 BTC per 10k. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=344716.20

If they straight premined 10%, the community would be going rabid on it.   If the coin takes off and hits some crazy value, I expect this to come up a lot more. (10% premine of all coins is one of the largest premines I've seen)
Pages:
Jump to: