Pages:
Author

Topic: Project Meshnet: Hardware for cjdns to enable new, censorship free Internet - page 3. (Read 11692 times)

legendary
Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000
http://tech.slashdot.org/story/13/09/07/003204/mits-inflatable-antennae-could-boost-small-satellite-communications

The MIT researcher noted that large, far-ranging radio dishes are impossible to store in a CubeSat's tight quarters. Instead, the satellites are equipped with smaller, less powerful antennae, restricting them to orbits below those of most geosynchronous satellites.
Activity: 727
Merit: 500
Minimum Effort/Maximum effect
I have heard of tiny modular satellites that are able to hook up with each other to make different configurations in space... this is a possibility, MIT and other universities have already done the work for us, now we just have to build them with off the shelf components and launch them.

I got my hands full, so I'm just going to be working on a open source optical communication device, later someone can figure out how to launch it in space with the required power output.

http://video.mit.edu/watch/cubesats-tiny-satellites-work-at-mit-u-mich-11569/
Activity: 526
Merit: 508
My other Avatar is also Scrooge McDuck
Meshnet is still cheaper and less risky.  Technically, we might not even have to build anything.  Just connect consumers who want a censorship-resistant internet with providers who want to support it.  And give them a way to pay for it.
Um, I'm talking about meshnet...

My mention of satellites was to solve the problem of how to mesh the world... So different continents and cities more than 100km away can share information.
legendary
Meshnet is still cheaper and less risky.  Technically, we might not even have to build anything.  Just connect consumers who want a censorship-resistant internet with providers who want to support it.  And give them a way to pay for it.
So somewhere between 1 lbs and 1800, we should be able to find a market point... At least when the need becomes strong enough, right?
legendary
In June 2010, Iridium signed the largest commercial rocket launch deal ever, a US$492 million contract with SpaceX to launch tens of Iridium NEXT satellites on multiple Falcon 9 launchers in 2015-2017 from Vandenberg AFB Space Launch Complex 3.[14] The 66 operational satellites in the constellation, plus six on-orbit spares, will be launched in seven Falcon 9 launches of 10 satellites each, plus a single launch of the an ISC Kosmotras Dnepr rocket, beginning in 2015 and completing the refresh of the entire constellation by 2017, as of August 2012.[11] The Dnepr can carry two of the 800 kilograms (1,800 lb) Iridium NEXT satellites on a single launch.[15]

Here's another example.  Each satellite weights 1,800 lbs and costs $6.8 million to launch.  Those are the specs for volume costs of state-of-the-art equipment on one of the cheapest launch platforms available.  Millions of dollars.
legendary
My understanding is that "into space" at that price means "in space for a few days before it burns up in the atmosphere."
Then raise the price a bit... Surely such a cause would find funding as the govs keep passing crap like CISPA on a near daily basis...

http://www.quora.com/Whats-the-cheapest-launch-price-for-a-small-geosynchronous-satellite

Typical launch price for launching a satellite into GEO is ~ $10-12K per pound. A typical GEO satellite weighs around 4000 pounds and thus it costs ~ $40-50M to launch. The cost of the satellite itself is probably in the $50-100M range. Some relevant references are provided in the links below.

Geosynchronous orbit is a long way out.  It means you need a large satellite to generate enough power to transmit that distance, which means the cost of launch increases geometrically.

For example, here's a "small" one.  It's as tall as a person.

My understanding is that "into space" at that price means "in space for a few days before it burns up in the atmosphere."
Then raise the price a bit... Surely such a cause would find funding as the govs keep passing crap like CISPA on a near daily basis...
legendary
You can get a small payload into space for $10k now, right?

Why no love for Satellites, bros?

You can get a small payload into space for $10k now, right?

All we gotta do to bridge all gaps worldwide is to have a hub in each metropolitan area that is connected with the satellite... With enough of them up there we could even connect each household directly to a satellite!
legendary
I've been looking into Hyperboria a bit, and ran across this service that plans to support internet access through cjdns:

http://roaming-initiative.com/blog/about.html

"World's first CJDNS VPN ISP"

They accept Bitcoin Smiley

Apparently the person to talk to is Rainfly_x on hypeirc.
So it seems like it might be possible to build a 1 GBPS laser link between cities for less than $30,000.

lol! much less than that if you take the risk of making the laser grid yourself. I'm thinking of building multiple lasers into one array, they'll be sending info independently, just have to get access to a fibre optics link or a swarm of smaller nodes to feed it city to city.

I figure a smaller laser grid to feed the large array connecting cities.
legendary
So it seems like it might be possible to build a 1 GBPS laser link between cities for less than $30,000.
someone will need to create laser communications as well for rural areas, I've worked with targeting lasers before that's the easy part... building them as home projects is harder alone.

There is a conspicuous gap in the commercialization of the exact technology needed to enable such a network.  How can this NASA laser transmit 238,900 miles, while the only commercial terrestrial solution I can find will only go 2 km?  Where are the laser tranceivers that will go 500 km?  They can't be that difficult to build.

edit: found this

It's the communication hubs, using what we know from terrestrial observations of the Earths Geoid(earth gravity map) along with gps UTM co-ordinates of base stations,  the laser transceiver is able to find an exact point to target, taking care of the rotation movement, the curvature of the earth etc using a least squares method to account for the movement.

The laser would be targeting a moving target, this target has gps the Receiver that is communicating it's coordinates to the base station through the mesh and being auto corrected by the base station for millimetre accuracy targeting at several km, using this technique I could hit a target 50km away with an error margin of only 5cm, 2 inches; A rural target I can hit from land up to 100km away with 10cm accuracy .

It involves calculating, atmospheric refraction, pressure, temperature, distance to horizon etc to calculate an effective point to further take that 5cm and drop it down to mm.

for those Nasa space shots it requires the entire GPS reference station grid to calculate the stratospheric delay and distortion from all the GPS and Glonass satellites, very complex and very time consuming... but this data is available for free. Smiley

I could hit the moon if a I wanted to with a laser so distance is not a factor, beam diffraction is, but that is awesome for communications! It'll get absorbed by the atmosphere if not calibrated properly, and to bypass any danger, just use an infrared laser, trust me the communications part, how to get a message through is the hard part

Radios are a solution as well but we are limited to 5 watts within the city, unless you are on a tower that will only propagate 10km at best, very weak intermittent signal. there are radio spectrums that allow you to use 30+ watts within the city but... who cares... that would give us a 100km range maximum.

Activity: 714
Martijn Meijering
Meshnet and Bitcoin have great potential for synergy. Meshnet can help provide a decentralised communication infrastructure while Bitcoin can provide a payment mechanism for supporting the nodes and the communication links between them.
Activity: 216
Merit: 100
Source ? Last time i checked China happily encouraged people to use Bitcoin on their national propagandist TV.

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/trouble-for-btc-in-china-214296
http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1ewswo/china_now_blocking_bitcoin/

It seems that so far text messages with "bitcoin" in them have been requested to be blocked, but Bitcoin Internet traffic is still running fine.
Activity: 216
Merit: 100
Couple of slight problems.  For one, the earth is spherical in case you have not heard.  It also has a gaseous atmosphere...for now at least.

It actually is fairly do-able to have long distance radio links on pretty much a DIY basis, so there is probably no need for sharks and lasers and all that.  But as I say, your link is likely to be visited by a drown within a few minutes...and quite possibly vaporized not long after.

I highly doubt that you would get into trouble if you're using the standard WIFI channels for your mesh network. If you do, there are much bigger problems to worry about that Bitcoins / Internet.
legendary
Activity: 1470
Merit: 1005
Bringing Legendary Har® to you since 1952
With the newsrumors of China starting to censor Bitcoin traffic

Source ? Last time i checked China happily encouraged people to use Bitcoin on their national propagandist TV.
legendary
Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276
someone will need to create laser communications as well for rural areas, I've worked with targeting lasers before that's the easy part... building them as home projects is harder alone.

There is a conspicuous gap in the commercialization of the exact technology needed to enable such a network.  How can this NASA laser transmit 238,900 miles, while the only commercial terrestrial solution I can find will only go 2 km?  Where are the laser tranceivers that will go 500 km?  They can't be that difficult to build.

Couple of slight problems.  For one, the earth is spherical in case you have not heard.  It also has a gaseous atmosphere...for now at least.

It actually is fairly do-able to have long distance radio links on pretty much a DIY basis, so there is probably no need for sharks and lasers and all that.  But as I say, your link is likely to be visited by a drone within a few minutes...and quite possibly vaporized not long after.

edit: s/drown/drone/g
legendary

There is a conspicuous gap in the commercialization of the exact technology needed to enable such a network.  How can this NASA laser transmit 238,900 miles, while the only commercial terrestrial solution I can find will only go 2 km?  Where are the laser tranceivers that will go 500 km?  They can't be that difficult to build.

Pages:
Jump to: