Pages:
Author

Topic: Project Meshnet: Hardware for cjdns to enable new, censorship free Internet - page 4. (Read 11692 times)

Activity: 16
Merit: 0
It seems to me that what most mesh development is lacking is incentive for those not invested by ideology, development, etc.

Would it be theoretically or practically possible to develop a new blockchain and *true* alt-coin that would take the same amount of hashing power from each account (node), regardless of CPU/GPU - using shared bandwidth and throughput via mesh node to calculate mining effectiveness?

Being that most IP's do not allow for resale of access, it seems this would be both a great way around that restriction, while providing plenty of incentive to adopt and share access via mesh AND providing a new, true alt-coin that has a creation value most novice could understand (ie.- access to internet)

My terminology may be completely distorted, but hopefully I explained the concept clear enough???
legendary
Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276
I have two fundamental problems with mesh networks:

1) I suspect that they will be very difficult to engineer to a level which even comes close the the usability and performance of the Internet of 20 year ago.

2)  They would only be necessary to use in a situation where it was extremely subversive to do so.  In that case, the use of any bi-directional communications is going to be putting a giant neon 'arrest me' sign pointing straight to ones' door.  At the very least one will be losing their gear, and will probably be receiving a lot more unpleasantness as well.

Activity: 727
Merit: 500
Minimum Effort/Maximum effect
Agreed.  So how do we connect cities together? I'm asking how do we bypass the ISPs? I heard google is laying down fibre across north america, that's going to be hard to compete with.

it's a bit out there but you got to admit we will need mobile wifi systems to make this work, maybe wifi on quadrotor helicopters interoperable by users who build recharge pads for them?

someone will need to create laser communications as well for rural areas, I've worked with targeting lasers before that's the easy part... building them as home projects is harder alone. We can create terabyte internet connections using the quadrotor mobile wifi, they can swarm areas with high demand and local refueling stations.

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/84266-26tbps-transmitted-with-a-single-laser-could-supercharge-internet-backbone

http://www.theverge.com/2013/5/10/4318404/beamcaster-laser-internet-network-rit-technologies

I like the idea of using bitcoins to pay the system operation costs. so how are you guys planning on hyper implenting your idea? can the system go nation wide with the right know how? how fast?
Activity: 798
Merit: 1000
Alternatively, for data such as bitcoin's block chain where many people along the chain may actually want the data, is it possible to send it unencrypted, or make it easy to send unencrypted data so that all nodes wanting a copy of a distributed shared file do not have to transfer, without knowing, the information they are looking for without taking advantage of it?

I hope a clash of meshnet ideas does not stall its progress. It is something that must be accomplished for the sake of a free society.
Activity: 216
Merit: 100
AFAIK cjdns doesn't compromise speed for "extra anonymity" ie. it uses the shortest/fastest path for the traffic.

There are even more hardcore projects like Fennec, although it's just a whacky idea inside some guys head for now: https://github.com/coyotama/fennec/blob/master/README.md

I will try to persuade a Project Meshnet contributor to join the forum to answer questions.. meanwhile, you can ask them in the reddit post linked above.
Activity: 798
I really, really like the idea of meshnets and have done a little reading, but I do not know the specifics. Is it possible for meshnet technology to discover the most advantageous way to get data from one point to another without saturating numerous unneeded hops? I really hope it can take off, but I also really hope that it isn't slow as molasses.
legendary
Activity: 1330
It seems there is at least one pool that supports mining over cjdns:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/mining-through-the-cjdns-network-88305

Here's what I'm thinking needs to be created.  We need a meshnet like this one, which has Bitcoin built into it.  Bitcoin traffic is transmitted for free.  Everything else can be paid for with Bitcoins.  You connect to a node, and pay that node a fixed price to transmit your packets until the next block is found.  If the node starts receiving too many packets, it delays or drops them.  If you need more bandwidth, you connect to more nodes.  If you think the node is delaying too many packets, try a different node next block period.

So it's an auction for bandwidth every 10 minutes, on average.  The software on your computer keeps track of the nodes that offer the best service, and pays the best one(s) given your usage.  Free market competition leads to the correct price.

The network can run over the existing internet as well as purpose-built physical or wireless links.  There is a financial incentive to bypass the existing internet and build our own.

This is a legitimate use of Bitcoin.  It helps build a next-generation, censorship-resistant internet, while making Bitcoin ubiquitous at the same time.
Activity: 216
Merit: 100
With the newsrumors of China starting to censor Bitcoin traffic, I find this very important. And they accept Bitcoins for donations (I just donated 1.79 BTC).

Frequently Asked Questions
What is Project Meshnet, cjdns, Hyperboria and the Seattle Meshnet Project?
Project Meshnet is a colation of meshnet groups that works to promote the development of local meshnets. Cjdns is a networking suite that is commonly used to set up local meshnets, and Hyperboria is what we call the networkof cjdns nodes that weave in and out of both local meshnets and the internet. And on a closing note, the Seattle Meshnet Project is a local meshnet group based out of Seattle that has organized this crowdfunding project.

Why is wireless router support so important, and what does it mean for meshnets?
Once cjdns runs on routers (which means it will run atop the OpenWRT platform), it will be possible to easily and affordably bring Hyperboria in to the average home. Right now it requires somewhat advanced computer knowledge in order to join the meshnet and connect to Hyperboria, but once OpenWRT integration is complete, it will be as simple as plugging in your new router. Our network has grown quickly as it is, but to really bring the mesh to most homes setup needs to be simpler.

How do I know this will even work?
The Seattle Meshnet Project has ran previous group buys and sucessfully paid our current cjdns developer to fix bugs in cjdns. We intend to parlay this experience with paid bugfixing and group buys of hardware into this crowdfunded bugfix, and as with our previous group buy, we'll be distributing hardware and signed posters too.

https://fund.meshwith.me/
http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1ewxzw/rdarknetplan_accepting_bitcoin_for_crowdfunding/

Mods: feel free to move the thread to a better sub-forum. I think this is related to Bitcoin due to the China censorship rumors.
Pages:
Jump to: