Pages:
Author

Topic: ProtoShares Bounty - 30 BTC Start Mining BitShares in November! - page 3. (Read 10772 times)

legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1031
Rational Exuberance
It would be great to work together but we both have obligations to our respective investors.  Perhapse we can join forces once a winner is found. 

That would be awesome. Although I'm not convinced that there isn't room for both projects to succeed.
Activity: 770
Merit: 566
fractally
. . . At least you are going about this whole thing more honestly than Dacoinminister with his demands of money up front in exchange for a 100% pre-mined non-functional alt-coin.

Yeah, can you believe how many people fell for my scam? They're all weeping now, cursing themselves for ever trusting a scammer like me, just like you predicted.

Best of luck to you bytemaster. I'll be watching. Isn't this stuff fun? Scary too. The world is going to look very different in a few years.
I am scared to imagine what you two could accomplish together lol  Smiley
It would be great to work together but we both have obligations to our respective investors.  Perhapse we can join forces once a winner is found. 
legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000
. . . At least you are going about this whole thing more honestly than Dacoinminister with his demands of money up front in exchange for a 100% pre-mined non-functional alt-coin.

Yeah, can you believe how many people fell for my scam? They're all weeping now, cursing themselves for ever trusting a scammer like me, just like you predicted.

Best of luck to you bytemaster. I'll be watching. Isn't this stuff fun? Scary too. The world is going to look very different in a few years.
I am scared to imagine what you two could accomplish together lol  Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1031
Rational Exuberance

fractally
For the record, ProtoShares will be cross-platform, but I am paying the bounty for the windows platform while doing the Mac/Linux port myself.
fractally
Everyone does start on equal footing...

Nothing stops people from forking Bitcoin, the network effect is all about who is already using it.   When BitShares launches the people mining ProtoShares will be the ones 'already using it' and of course they will not accept a fork from 0.   When BitShares does launch it will likely be within the next 6 months and thus the total number of proto-shares mined will be under 5% of the eventual BitShare supply.   Even if it were a straight-up pre-mine most people would not consider 5% to be an unfair or unreasonable enough to justify a fork.

All of that said, the risk of the market accepting a fork rather than honoring the social contract is baked into the price of the ProtoShares.   As a result we will find out whether people agree with me or you very quickly Smiley
Activity: 146
Merit: 100
The network effect is powerful and the only thing keeping Bitcoin on top.   Sure someone could fork it and 'start from scratch'.... but everyone who has been following the project from early on including 100% of developers, partners, and speculators would have been mining.   I will take my chances with the market.

I don't assume people will honor them as 'equal'.... in fact, they will not be equal because ProtoShares will be the foundation of many future AltShares where as BitShares will just be the currency exchange.  If ProtoShares have any value at all it will be because people understand the network effect.  When BitShares do come out they would have to bet that the social contract was too weak and everyone would adopt a new chain starting from 0 rather than honor the contract....  very dubious.

The "network effect" is from people telling their friends and relatives about something they think is cool and useful. Part of what made Bitcoin interesting and useful was the fact that everyone started on an equal footing. Everyone who read the features of Bitcoin and liked what they heard could go get them on an equal footing to anyone else. That fairness from the beginning is what made Bitcoin's networking effect so strong. Even if new people looking to mine wish they could have mined at a lower difficulty the people who had previously concluded that the mining was fair prevented them from forking.

If the features of Bitshares are not ready before mining starts people will fork the blockchain after the useful features are implemented. Mining should not start until the primary features of the currency are ready. At that point you should just release the protocol itself instead of an alt coin. I think you're making a big mistake releasing an alt coin before it has full intended functionality.
legendary
Activity: 2198
Merit: 1989
฿uy ฿itcoin
Some good designs in here Smiley
fractally
Of the 3 the blue one is the one I like the most.    Once all submissions are in I will put up a poll of my top 3 favorites and let everyone vote on the winner Smiley   Keep up the great work everyone!
fractally
here are my drafts ... understand it right, you wanna blueprint character or is it just an idea (suggestion) ?

Icon V1.0

Icon V1.1

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Icon V2.0

Icon V2.1

Hope you'll enjoy ..

I like the elegance and simplicity, but most icons do not have fine print under them.  It needs to look good scaled down to 16x16 or up to 512x512
fractally
What will be the initial difficulty at the launch? And how fast is the adjustment of the difficulty?

Well to put things in perspective, an i7 will probably only generate one hash per second.   I estimate that there will be about 100 people mining at launch so lets assume  1/30,000 hashes will result in finding a block once every 5 minutes.   We will probably set the initial difficulty based upon mining performance of the default client to target 500 minutes on an individual computer.
fractally
logo concept, needs cleanup, better contrast

I like where this is going.... you are right about needing better contrast.
Activity: 243
Merit: 250
What will be the initial difficulty at the launch? And how fast is the adjustment of the difficulty?
legendary
Activity: 1428
Merit: 1030
Proof of Work
1) Momentum Proof-of-Work based upon    https://github.com/InvictusInnovations/BitShares/blob/master/src/momentum.cpp
Modification to support very low end miners ->
1. Require between 256MB - 1GB memory
->To allow for use on very low end equiment
[/quote]

Will hyperthreading in the CPU be used?
[/quote]

Multiple cores will almost certainly improve efficiency - difficult to say at this stage if hyperthreading will confer an advantage, I would hope not.
legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1000
I really like jantenner81's versions Smiley
Activity: 448
black swan hunter
logo concept, needs cleanup, better contrast

Activity: 714
Merit: 510
Adjusted the size a bit.

Also tried playing around with the letters, but if you allign them diagonally it'll look like it says 'RS'.

Tilt the letters slightly to the right.
Activity: 448
black swan hunter
FreeTrade has contracted to build the BitcoinQt ProtoShares network so the 18 BTC bounty is off the table.   Terms of the agreement are posted here for reference.

Client
Scope is for a Windows-QT client, compilation of windows binaries, genesis block construction, launch support. Other platforms expressly outside the scope.

Proof of Work
1) Momentum Proof-of-Work based upon    https://github.com/InvictusInnovations/BitShares/blob/master/src/momentum.cpp
Modification to support very low end miners ->
1. Require between 256MB - 1GB memory
->To allow for use on very low end equiment

Will hyperthreading in the CPU be used?
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1061
Smile
Pages:
Jump to: