Pages:
Author

Topic: ProtoShares Bounty - 30 BTC Start Mining BitShares in November! - page 4. (Read 10772 times)

legendary
Activity: 2198
Merit: 1989
฿uy ฿itcoin
Congratulations FreeTrade!

EDIT: And congratulations to you bytemaster, for finding someone to work with Cheesy
Activity: 60
Merit: 1
Google Image Search: Xcode Icon for some inspiration.
I see  Smiley
Activity: 770
Merit: 566
fractally
Google Image Search: Xcode Icon for some inspiration.
legendary
฿uy ฿itcoin
I think I personally like the PS better.

http://imgur.com/1OZkwLy
picking up the "blueprint" idea:

http://imgur.com/uCqQ1md

Great... perhaps instead of the sharp square edges, you could put the blueprint on a sheet of paper with curled up edges?  Something that gives it a nicer 'edge'?

That's a good idea and would highlight the blueprint character even more. But making the edges more complex means stealing some space from the inner part. Shouldn't be a problem for 512x512 and 64x64 but for the smaller 32x32 and 16x16 icons (which will be relevant for the icons used on the BitcoinQt fork that will be seen a lot by users) it might mean the "P" and the measurement lines become hard to recognize.
Anyway, I will play around with it some more tomorrow and see what I can do. Maybe only the bigger versions could get the nicer edges and the smaller ones could be left as is.
fractally

Great... perhaps instead of the sharp square edges, you could put the blueprint on a sheet of paper with curled up edges?  Something that gives it a nicer 'edge'?
legendary
฿uy ฿itcoin
Adjusted the size a bit.

Also tried playing around with the letters, but if you allign them diagonally it'll look like it says 'RS'.

fractally
FreeTrade has contracted to build the BitcoinQt ProtoShares network so the 18 BTC bounty is off the table.   Terms of the agreement are posted here for reference.

Client
Scope is for a Windows-QT client, compilation of windows binaries, genesis block construction, launch support. Other platforms expressly outside the scope.

Proof of Work
1) Momentum Proof-of-Work based upon    https://github.com/InvictusInnovations/BitShares/blob/master/src/momentum.cpp
Modification to support very low end miners ->
1. Require between 256MB - 1GB memory
->To allow for use on very low end equiment
2. Limit A and B such that all possible matches are exhausted in less than 1 second - H would need to change every second and could include new transactions.
->So that faster computers are not disproportionately advantaged over slower ones.
3. Change
Hash(H + A + B) < TargetDifficulty
to
Hash(H + A + B + MemoryHash(A) + MemoryHash(B)) < TargetDifficulty
->To prevent GPUs evaluating this step before adding B to memory.
Aim for following parameters
     50 Bit  Birthdays 
     2^26   Max Nonce
     sha512 generates 8, 50 bit birthdays or if we do some bit math we could get 10, 50 bit birthdays out of it.
     A core i7 can generate about 768 MB of SHA512 hashes / second with OpenSSL which means that if you store the nonce + birthday the throughput would be about 1 GB/sec at peak performance. 

Minting Schedule
2) 2 million coin maximum (in 4 years)
5) halve the block reward every 3 months
5% reward block reduction each week until approx 2 million coins issued over 2 years or so, followed by 1% yearly inflation (recomputation of percentage reduction each block would be prone to rounding errors which would cause forks)

Block Interval and Size
3) 5 minute block intervals
Fine.
4) 512 KB max block size.
Fine

Bitcoin Version
6) Derived from very recent version of Bitcoin Qt
Based on 0.8.5 - Lastest Bitcoin-Qt Stable release (2013-09-13 - Bitcoin-Qt version 0.8.5 released)
7) Mining Supported via GUI menu
Fine,
but interface for pooled mining should be considered part of the mining pool project 

Launch
Cool The bounty will be paid 1 month after the chain has launched with no fatal bugs.
Require 5 BTC at outset - used for purchase of i7-4770 based computer to be used for mining during testing and minimum of 1 month after launch.
Remaining 13BTC paid 1 month after the chain launched with no fatal bugs.
Amounts are fixed in BTC. Developer bears currency exchange risk of loss or appreciation of BTC in this time period.

Launch Time
Genesis block time and text to be decided by Invictus (assuming non-odious)
uPnP
I had some trouble compiling uPnP into QT clients before - so we'll consider this outside the scope of the project. Resolving configuration issues like this can take days but might be we can find someone who can help with config. Note, there's a crazy guy who stalks the forums accusing any non uPnP client of being a scam, fraud, high treason, etc. Expect him to show up.
DL: 4) I can handle the uPnP issues.
Miner Crashes
I found with MemoryCoin that computers mining 24/7 at max capacity would hard crash randomly, with a frequency of every 24hrs or so. Not sure if this is due to something in the Scrypt code that is hit occassionally, or a consequence of pushing the memory/memorybus so hard. This may be an unresolvable issue (common and hardware based) and unpredictable crashes may have to be regarded as a cost of mining.
DL: 5) Miner crashes are ok so long as the blockchain logic is solid, I can fix those myself.

Conversion To Bitshares
There is a 1-1 conversion rate between ProtoShares and BitShares. Bitshares to be limited to approx 20,000,000 so that ProtoShares miners ownership of Bitshares is not diluted.
fractally
Try just a P...
legendary
฿uy ฿itcoin
So I need to make the PS a bit bigger? I've tried adding a background to the square, but it looks to 'busy' for a logo. I'll try to make some more designs tomorrow.
fractally
I am about to strike a deal with FreeTrade to build the BitcoinQt fork.   If anyone else is interested, speak now or forever hold your peace. 
legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000
Try to make it look less like a 'B' I think..
legendary
Second one looks good, keep' em coming!  Roll Eyes
Did you mean to roll your eyes?   

I like the way the second one looks as well, though it seems to lack the square aspect ratio of most icons. 
Yeap, it looks upthread at the logo!  Smiley
fractally
Did you mean to roll your eyes?   

I like the way the second one looks as well, though it seems to lack the square aspect ratio of most icons. 
legendary
฿uy ฿itcoin
legendary
fractally
Would you like the logo with/without text and do you want a specific shape to come out in the logo?

I am looking for multiple submissions and will ask the community to give feedback on what makes the most sense for the icon.   I am using all of my creative energy elsewhere so my real aim is to see something I love when I look at it.   If I like to look at it, then so will many others and that is good enough for me.

Some ideas:

Imagine a Bitcoin under construction like the Death Star or a Sky Scrapper...
Imagine a blue print or schematic feel. 
Imagine a mold or cast.
Imagine a draft stock certificate...
Imagine a IPO stock graph
Imagine an Under Construction theme...

Something that captures some aspect of the idea and purpose of the coin more than just the letters P S or Shares.
fractally
Does the logo contest also end on Nov 5th? I'll make a design. Do you want it to have specific colours?

Logo contest ends once I have a logo I like and pay out.   
legendary
฿uy ฿itcoin
Does the logo contest also end on Nov 5th? I'll make a design. Do you want it to have specific colours?
Pages:
Jump to: